Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-413.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4461613)
Honda City's new ad calls its rivals toys, copy cats, etc - can it get back to being Nr. # 1 ?

Ha! I see this ad being "copied" from the legendary TATA Safari ads!
Technically, this ad is a "Copy cat" :)

I have completed 28K kms on my city diesel ZX model bought last year in may 2017. I would like to share my experience so far which is kind of a mixed bag. From the view of comfort, driving and feature the car provides decent value. However there are niggles like dashboard rattles, squeaks from roof padding near the rearview mirror, cabin light assembly area and doors when going over rough patch. I had to replace brake pads @27K kms (replaced outside of dealer @3000/- INR). There was a humming noise coming at speeds over 80kmph. I got that diagnosed as the rear wheel bearing issue and replaced it from my trusted mechanic (Mr Hijesh, India Garage, Bodakdev Auda garden, Ahmedabad). The rear wheel hub assembly cost me around 8500/-. Now the humming sound has gone and hopefully there are no more surprises. I had previously owned Toyota Etios which stayed with me around 1.25 Lacs km till I sold it off. I must say Toyota makes reliable cars and Etios especially had very low maintenance with longer parts durability as compared to the current city. Also Toyota dealer/workshop experience is far better than Honda dealers at least in Ahmedabad. I would like to know from other city owners about the kind of issues they have faced in initial 1 or 2 years of ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4452169)
A dear friend is looking for a Honda City Petrol. He is skeptical about the below points, you all who have been owning and driving the City for a long time can help.

1. Many owners of City call it a heavy drinker. With a city average of as less as 7-8 and highways not good either being 11-13 kmpl (petrol)
2. After 10k kms the parts start rattling. Apparently it is getting worse than Maruti which has improved it's fit and finish with Ciaz.
3. The low ground clearance scrapes at speed breakers especially in the interiors.
4. The suspensions are very soft making the ride boat like feeling.
5. Spares are very expensive especially the clutch plate and brake pads. Wear and tear is very frequent and early.

Please help to understand the truth in the above.

My City V i-VTEC 2015 has been driven now for about 35000kms. To answer your questions:
1. I get 11kmpl - 15kmpl in city and on highways. (P.S - the city FE figures are with varying traffic conditions and sedate driving. On the highways though with a (very) heavy foot)
2. The only rattle in my car is from the top centre of the dash, where you put on the perfume bottle. The perfume bottle is quite heavy so it seems to press on the flimsy panel at potholes/speed breakers/uneven roads.
3. When loaded with 5 passengers at tall speed breakers. Not always.
4. The suspension is perfect for me. The car is stable even at high speeds.
5. I am lucky to not have had the experience of buying spares yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by automachine (Post 4464434)
I have completed 28K kms on my city diesel ZX model bought last year in may 2017. I would like to share my experience so far which is kind of a mixed bag. From the view of comfort, driving and feature the car provides decent value. However there are niggles like dashboard rattles, squeaks from roof padding near the rearview mirror, cabin light assembly area and doors when going over rough patch. I had to replace brake pads @27K kms (replaced outside of dealer @3000/- INR). There was a humming noise coming at speeds over 80kmph. I got that diagnosed as the rear wheel bearing issue and replaced it from my trusted mechanic (Mr Hijesh, India Garage, Bodakdev Auda garden, Ahmedabad). The rear wheel hub assembly cost me around 8500/-. Now the humming sound has gone and hopefully there are no more surprises. I had previously owned Toyota Etios which stayed with me around 1.25 Lacs km till I sold it off. I must say Toyota makes reliable cars and Etios especially had very low maintenance with longer parts durability as compared to the current city. Also Toyota dealer/workshop experience is far better than Honda dealers at least in Ahmedabad. I would like to know from other city owners about the kind of issues they have faced in initial 1 or 2 years of ownership.

Why did you go to outside mechanics when your ride is just a year old? I have a petrol CVT that has done just 7 k kms and it's running just fine. I think getting running repairs done outside Honda in the warranty period may affect your warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4465286)
Why did you go to outside mechanics when your ride is just a year old? I have a petrol CVT that has done just 7 k kms and it's running just fine. I think getting running repairs done outside Honda in the warranty period may affect your warranty.

Well after my experience with Honda dealerships I have noticed that they are less interested in getting service issues resolved and more in extra work like AC disinfectants, coating work etc. Also quality wise I do not think Honda is doing better job and after experiencing how they handle an escalated issue I have serious doubt on their honouring warranty claims within the 2 year/40K kms warranty period. My experience with Toyota was much better and I never had to go outside of my dealership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by automachine (Post 4464434)
There was a humming noise coming at speeds over 80kmph. I got that diagnosed as the rear wheel bearing issue and replaced it from my trusted mechanic (Mr Hijesh, India Garage, Bodakdev Auda garden, Ahmedabad). The rear wheel hub assembly cost me around 8500/-. Now the humming sound has gone and hopefully there are no more surprises.

I had the very same issue on my 2015 City. The left rear wheel hub had started making a humming sound at around 35k KM's, during the service, my trusted mechanic had detected this issue and said I should just live with it for a little while as it is not a biggie and the sound was barely heard. he said to have it changed during the next service, long story short, the car has run nearly 40,000 KMs now and the noise has considerably increased and I have just got it changed and it cost me 3000/- (wheel hub assembly/bearing), the noise has gone ever since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4452169)
A dear friend is looking for a Honda City Petrol. He is skeptical about the below points, you all who have been owning and driving the City for a long time can help.

1. heavy drinker.
2. parts start rattling.
3. The low ground clearance
4. The suspensions are very soft
5. Spares are very expensive
Please help to understand the truth in the above.

I have 2016 City-iVtec-V at 17000 km. I have the following observations

1. City driving and average over 2 years : 12 kmpl; Highway driving 19.5 kmpl
2. Rattling is a truth. It started after 1 year. Mostly from LHS door, dash board. Not solved after 3 tries.
3. With only driver, no bottom till date. But with loaded passengers, yes sometimes it bottoms at big bumps. For high ground clearance one should change the segment.
4. Suspensions I don't like at all of this vehicle. Noise from all the rough patches are directly transferred to cabin.
5. Till date I did not need any spares.
I find my friend's Verna purchased around similar time and have similar kms driven on the same route is quite better in terms of engine sound, NVH and suspension.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrMishra (Post 4466117)
2. Rattling is a truth. It started after 1 year. Mostly from LHS door, dash board. Not solved after 3 tries.

If the LHS door rattle that you mentioned is the ‘sound of loose screw vibrating in it’s grove’, then you could do the below steps.
1. Remove the panel to the left side of dashboard from the location shown below.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-f9ba8184fe444c7dae769efbd3c9f518.jpeg
2. Apply 3 M double sided tapes as shown below, especially on the green highlighted portion.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-48c57e75180d4e019c996c731baf9c0c.jpeg

This worked for me. If it does not help you fix your issue, please let me know in detail what kind of noise you are hearing and the approximate location from where the noise is coming. Happy DIY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4460331)
I took this up with Arya Honda Kalina stating that the windscreen treatment is nowhere mentioned in the service manual. To that he tells me'"We carry out the windscreen treatment when we see white lead on the windscreen.":Shockked:

I googled but could not find anything. This is pure fleecing. I have asked them for a refund.

i got a call from a senior person at Arya Honda, Kalina. He admitted that it was the sales manager's mistake as windscreen treatment was never part of the 50,000kms service and that such treatments are carried out only on special requests made by the customer.

This senior person was very apologetic and also shared that such sales managers bring down the business and trust of their customers.

Now, He has offered me two options

1.) Refund of INR 1900 ; OR

2.) Some Polish worth INR 2200

I am in 2 minds now whether to continue with Arya Honda forgetting the past as they might do a great job going forward keeping in mind that i have had a bad experience in the past OR shift to Linkway Honda at Chandivali as i have had a good experience with them in the past and with the fear that i might get fleeced again by Arya Honda, Kalina if i service my steed at their workshop again.

Suggestionsplease:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4466857)

Suggestionsplease:

I would suggest you to take the refund rather than going in for the polish. I hope by polish you meant the actual polish treatment that they would be doing on your car (not some polish material in a can being sold to you). These service centers do a very lousy job of polishing and waxing. It will cause more swirls than reducing them. If you want to do some exterior treatment, get the materials and do by yourself or go to any reputed agencies like 3M.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2285 (Post 4466857)

Refund of Rs 1900 for sure!

Yesterday, both rear power windows stopped working. Tried from driver side switches and rear switches and no movement at all. Front ones are working fine. What could be the reason and solution?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4468352)
Yesterday, both rear power windows stopped working. Tried from driver side switches and rear switches and no movement at all. Front ones are working fine. What could be the reason and solution?

It happens when the power windows are not operated for a long time, I have personal experience on the same. You could try pressing the power window switches repeatedly in no regular pattern like press in fast successions, keep it pressed for a longer time etc. It should work at some point of time. If it does not work you may need to open the window switch panel and clean it.

To avoid this scenario, I always make sure to open all the windows at least once a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4468352)

Possibly a blown fuse.
It could also be due to power window switch contacts getting oxidised leading to loss of conductivity with age, but less likely reason as both front and back switches failing at the same time is a rare occurence.

Honda City Diesel achieves 45 kmpl in a mileage run. Done by Buny Punia
Just a fun exercise!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAnPwJlarY