Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-419.html)

Hello Team,

We have a Jan/Feb 2014 Honda City VMT that has rusted at multiple spots. This had gone unnoticed for a very long time since the car is with my parents and I barely travel in it. It was only recently discovered when I took the car out

Any suggestions or advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!please:

Attaching a few pictures below-

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173109.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173638.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173139.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173121.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173222.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173206.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173429.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173509.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173448.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173540.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20181231173530.jpg

Is the car parked near sea side?

Get it cleaned up thoroughly (rust spots), prepare with antitrust coat and the paint the areas. Weather strips just throw the old ones and replace with a new set. Ensure the rust is cleaned up and if needed touched up before putting new ones on.

If car is parked near sea side, ensure it’s washed with fresh water and dryed properly atleast once a month. You might want to check underbody and do a 3m rust treatment there also. After a thorough wash ie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4523113)
Is the car parked near sea side?

The car has always been parked in an apartment complexes basement parking which is located in Central Mumbai.

It is also washed with fresh water every day and it's interior vaccuming is done every alternate weekend.

Will talk to my local FNG about the repainting the rust spots, thanks for the suggestion!

:OT Is it advisable to contact Honda about this issue?
Very frankly it is ridiculous for a 5 year old car to rust so badly, rattle like a fork in a tiffin box and leak water in the car ( rear right door leaks water during the monsoon) with the doors rubber beadings falling apart. :Frustrati

Unusually rusted. Have the doors ever been repainted? Is the car driven daily? Better to avoid daily washing if the car is reasonably clean. Must be dried properly as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 (Post 4523108)
Hello Team, We have a Jan/Feb 2014 Honda City VMT that has rusted at multiple spots. This had gone unnoticed for a very long time since the car is with my parents and I barely travel in it. It was only recently discovered when I took the car out. Any suggestions or advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!please:

Looks like what your showing is just the tip of the iceberg, I think you need to look deeper for the extent of the problem and the car may need a complete anti-rust treatment and paint job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4523142)
Have the doors ever been repainted? Is the car driven daily?

The doors have never been repainting or repaired.
The car is driven 5/7 days of the week. The car becomes pretty dirty whenever it is removed due to all the construction around in the city so has to be cleaned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4523147)
Looks like what your showing is just the tip of the iceberg, I think you need to look deeper for the extent of the problem.

The car is currently in Lonavala for a couple of days, once it returns I will do a detailed underbody check also. I feel the problem lies in Honda not doing an efficient job at the anti-rust treatment at the factory level. Something especially true for early production models like mine.

At the Deccan Honda service center currently in pune. The SA says both the front left and right tie rod bush are cut. They do not have the part in stock and says they change the entire tie rod assembly which will cost around 6k. I found this to be awkward, a Bush replacement is not a expensive part. Why should I change the tie rod assembly. The car is only done 23700 kms on the odometer. The SA says as your driving is less you can continue to use the same for now and we will only order the part when you pay in advance for the same, I asked why is that , to which he says most Honda city do not face an issue with a bush cut and the demand is very low, so they do not keep the part in stock. This is my first service experience with Honda and it keeps getting weird. My current bill has already hit 7k, wondering if this was a right call to buy a Honda vehicle. Any suggestions are welcome.
Please Excuse for Typos as I am on mobile.

Hi guys, those of you who got 3M Noodle mats, do they use single piece for rear or 3 pieces?

Some pictures will be great.

Has anyone got the suspension changed in the 4th gen Honda City? Want to understand the cost involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 4527032)
Hi guys, those of you who got 3M Noodle mats, do they use single piece for rear or 3 pieces?

Some pictures will be great.

If your car has a central hump, like in most European cars, then they use 3 pieces. But if your rear floor is flat or the centre hump is negligible, then they use a single piece.

In my car, the wind strips on the right side front and rear doors both show bubbling and a bit of rust. I spoke to my SA and will be getting them changed before the rains. I have seen this occurrence on many cars.

I water-wash my car once a month (including engine bay) and all the other times, it’s just a waterless wash. I have an open parking and hence, the car is mostly covered when not in use except for the rainy season. I use a Jopasu duster to clean dust. I vacuum car every Sunday if possible. I do not believe in getting the car water-washed every day, that too by a washer man (water wastage, worn or poor cloth, paint damage and poor cleaning).

For bird droppings and other residue, the Waterless Wash product doubles up as a quick detailer. I also make sure tree that tree leaves and other things do not accumulate in the cowl area by regularly cleaning it. In addition, I visit 3M at least twice a year to get the interior and exterior cleaned with their foam wash and Germiclean.

@Pratyush2407, please check the cowl area regularly. Your basement being a closed zone and the car, being washed regularly with buckets of water, can accumulate moisture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead (Post 4527524)
@Pratyush2407, please check the cowl area regularly. Your basement being a closed zone and the car, being washed regularly with buckets of water, can accumulate moisture.

The cowl area as well as the boot area is regularly cleaned for leaves and dirt.

Many of my friends and neighbors cars in the building ranging from humble Marutis and Toyota’s to 7series, S class, Gls go through the same process everyday. So does my i20 as it has been for the past 8 and a half years. None of the cars have any rust formation in the same environment.

My previous Honda city Zx never rusted and at that time I resided near Malabar Hill, right by the sea with garage parking and the same process of cleaning was followed.

How does this process only damage my City then?:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 (Post 4527598)
The cowl area as well as the boot area is regularly cleaned for leaves and dirt.
Many of my friends and neighbors cars in the building ranging from humble Marutis and Toyota’s to 7series, S class, Gls go through the same process everyday. So does my i20 as it has been for the past 8 and a half years. None of the cars have any rust formation in the same environment.

My previous Honda city Zx never rusted and at that time I resided near Malabar Hill, right by the sea with garage parking and the same process of cleaning was followed.

How does this process only damage my City then?:)

Truly sad , shocking I must say ....:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead (Post 4527633)
Truly sad , shocking I must say ....:Shockked:

:OT I agree! It would be sad and shocking if the car wash guy would use his regular rag to clean the cars and leave swirl marks.
It would not be sad if he has been given a microfiber cloth to clean the cars.

Also you need to understand that there are certain parts of the city, where due to excessive construction and dirt, the cars get really dirty and a jopasu duster just does not cut it.

2019 Honda Amaze, City, WRV, Jazz price increased by up to Rs 7000
New prices will come into effect from 1st Feb 2019.

Quote:

Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) has announced a price increase across its vehicle line-up.
Mr. Rajesh Goel, Sr. Vice President and Director, Sales and Marketing, Honda Cars India Ltd. said, “There has been a huge pressure on costs owing to commodity prices & foreign exchange rates and we had been trying to hold this increase for as long as possible. However, we are now compelled to pass on a part of the increased costs to customers effective Feb 1.”

Honda City, which has for long been a pronounced brand identity has dipped in sales at 42,045 units, down 33 percent from 62,573 units sold the previous year.

Earlier this month, Honda made some changes in the City line-up. The base variant has now been discontinued, while a new ZX MT petrol top variant has been added. This has resulted in the entry level price of new City getting bumped up by about Rs 1 lakh.
Source