Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-369.html)

My instrument cluster shows PGM-FI light sometimes. It automatically goes away in a day or two.

When it came for the first time I showed it to the dealer and he scanned the car. They cleared the error code and said there was nothing to worry about.

Now the light comes up every couple of months and goes away without me doing anything.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Also, i dont know if its related, but my car has been idling rough for past 1000-1500kms. Engine clatter is louder and vibration is more than what it used to be.

My car is May, 2014 iDTEC and has completed 65000 kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4156389)
The i-DTEC Diesel on the Honda City is perfectly mated to a 6 speed gearbox with well sorted gear ratios that brings out the best in the engine. The torque and power delivery is linear and ample, there is simply no need to include a VGT and unnecessarily increase cost.
If the power was inadequate, then adding a VGT would make sense, but its not the case in the Diesel City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4156584)
The i-DTEC is indeed gem of an engine and FGT is good enough for most needs. If they plonk in a VGT, it could become an enthusiasts car with 120-125 bhp vs. 99 bhp and more torque as well.

Luckily for enthusiasts, looks like the i-DTEC engine has the space to accomodate a VGT in future. Came across this link that explains the architecture and workings of the magnificent i-DTEC engine that is an engineering marvel indeed. The VGT might not be too distant into the future

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-323615.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4157622)
Agree - the noise is higher. I drove a City Diesel last month and the noise is slightly higher than than DDiS - could not notice a significant difference.

By gem of engine, I was referring to the large portions of aluminium in the engine body, the great mileage, space for a VGT in future, great power and torque figures and almost linear power delivery. All engines have space for improvement and the noise is definitely one. That is not a deal braker for many people while it could be for some

Nevertheless, i-DTec is one of the best pieces of engineering from an overall perspective

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay81 (Post 4159870)
Had been in an Amaze (iDtec) recently which had done over 205000 kms. On general enquiry, the driver reported no issues and mentioned that the maintenance cost comes to lower than what he paid for Indigo and its niggles.

First of all many thanks for moderators for accepting my membership !!! I have been following this thread from past three years and finally got chance to share my thoughts.

I just quickly interpolated the performance curves of 1.6 I-Dtec to 1.5 I-Dtec and compared with same segment engines to check how engine will perform (on paper) with VGT. The numbers are again segment benchmark.

1.5 I-Dtec with VGT expected power output would be 113 Ps@4000 rpm and peak torque would be 280 Nm@2000 rpm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4147505)
One question I've always wanted to ask : Has anyone seen what happens when the Range in MID goes to 0?

How many kms can you go after that?

Hello The Brutailer,
I usually don't drive looking at the Range in the MID, but for a fair reference. (I drive a Petrol MT)
The last two points of the Fuel Indicator means around 6-7 Litres of fuel is present.
The last point on the Fuel Indicator means about 5 Litres of fuel is present.
When the points on the Fuel Indicator "vanish"/not present, you have about 3 Litres of fuel left. :uncontrol (There was a strike/bandh, pumps were closed)

If I remember correctly, once your at the last point in the Fuel Indicator, then the Range shows 0Km.

Now taking an average mileage of 15km/L (average figure for me with 50% City and 50% highway driving); you can travel about 75kms approximately (but this depends on whether on your on the highway/city, sedate driving, A/C on/off, among other things)

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4149229)
For the 2 lakh plus Gen4 City units which Honda has sold in the last 3 years, the Rs 50 per car would work out to over a Rs 1 Crore of savings.
Practically, the cladding would definitely cost more than Rs 50, so the savings would have been much more.

That is why manufacturers skimp on where-ever they can, with high volumes of sales, the savings add up to be substantial.

Thankfully the City has not skimped on practical/essential features for eg: they have provided two reversing lights and not a single reversing light like they give in the Vento and other cars. Even one bulb less is a huge saving for VW.

Agreed that the other light is a rear fog light but two reversing lights are needed for better illumination while reversing apart from a single light being an aesthetic eyesore.

Hello for_cars1
On the base model of the pre-facelifted city (2014-2016), the E Variants come with a single reversing light and no wiring harness to add a second reversing light. [The post is somewhere in this thread, I am unable to find it now]

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 4156447)
I was cleaning my cabin air filter the other day and forgot to check the orientation before removing it. I presume the air flow is supposed to be from top to bottom right? I mean the writing should be the right side up on the filter, can anyone please confirm. Also gonna use try out liqui moly fuel injection cleaner additive tomorrow.. Will report back if it makes any difference.

Hello mxh,
There is an Arrow Mark pointing UP on the Right hand side of the filter. Making sure that the area written UP is on the Right side (towards the ICE) and the arrow pointing upwards, slide it in.
(Very rarely, the mechanics at the service center place it in a different fashion. If you put the filter wrong, all the dust will center your car's A/C ducts)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altocumulus (Post 4159646)
I did get help from a couple of bhpians who took delivery recently. clap:

However, NB laser was not available for HB3 and H11 :Frustrati

So I ordered NB Unlimited which came to INR 3600 total for a pair of HB3 and one of H11. It would have a been atleast 1k more here.

NB Laser is Osram's new flagship product for OEM halogen bulbs and have been seeing good reviews about them. Not available in India yet though, unless a seller is importing them.

Hello Altocumulus,
Osram Nightbreaker Laser is not yet made in HB3 and H11 bulb types, only for H4 and H7. I too am waiting for the Osram Nightbreaker Laser in H11, but I think it will take another 6 months time or so.
If you do want MUCH better light, the best option is Projectors with Xenon Bulbs for the low beams.
You could also get Xenons into your Fog lamps, which helps quite a bit on highway drives, but I am not sure of the electrical warranty related issues. (It depends on your dealership and your rapport with them, and usually, the Service Advisors don't notice things like this unless they are utterly jobless/met all their targets for the day)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4153913)
Here are my observations after riding with the up sized (195/60 R15) Michelin P3ST.

Tire Pressure: 32 Front and 30 Rear

Reduced the tire pressure to 31 Front and 29 Rear. At these pressures, feeling more grip. Filled fuel full tank today morning and at the end of a 10 km journey the MID is at 14.1 kms/l (60% city and 40% close to highway conditions).

I think the sweet spot for the up sized tires is 31 front and 29 rear. The comfort is very good in these pressures. The thud sounds on sharp edges and potholes are now very much muted. Also, the FE has no change. Although it showed only 12.3 kms/l compared to the previous ride, this time I had gone to some longer bumper to bumper traffic. Quite sure that there is no reduction in FE at all.

The tires after about 750 kms are looking very good so far. Had been through some rough roads as well.

My City VX petrol has developed a rattle from somewhere near AC vents (not sure) on the right side.

Anyone faced a similar issue? What could be the solution? TIA! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4162709)
My City VX petrol has developed a rattle from somewhere near AC vents (not sure) on the right side.

My 2014 Honda City VX faces a similar problem, rattle anf squeaks from behind dashboard instrument cluster

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4162709)

Anyone faced a similar issue? What could be the solution? TIA! :)

I had the same issue on my Feb 2016 VX-MT (Petrol). The noise was coming from somewhere near the right-most AC vent. The service center test-drove the car and confirmed the noise. They kept the car for a day and returned it with the issue fully resolved. They seem to have tightened a few screws here & there, used some tape, damping material, etc., to solve the problem. No more rattles on my car. I'm not a fan of any 'juggad' repair method, but this seems to have been pretty effective.

Take your car to your dealer, they should be able to fix it.

In fact, even my 2014 Honda City was having similar rattle noise problem.
It is actually IP cluster bezel (As shown in ) hitting on to the cluster glass. To confirm this what you can do is run the car at speed of around 20-30 kmph on rough road (probably there will be rattle sound you will hear), Then next run the car at similar speed and from the same rough road holding the IP cluster bezel by one hand. If noise stops (Bingo !!!)

This issue you can show it to SA during your regular servicing of car and they will fix it or it can be addressed by yourself at home by (DIY) adding some packaging materials in between (perhaps you have to use your craftsmanship skills by not making the packaging material visible)

I hope this will help !!!

My service advisor came up with the fact that the real culprit behind the dash noise that i was complaining of is the thin plastic strip thats below the wipers (through which the water drains out. It costs only Rs. 75 but they haven't been able to procure it for more than a month now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitBahl (Post 4160149)
My instrument cluster shows PGM-FI light sometimes. It automatically goes away in a day or two.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I have had this light come up couple of times in 3 years and each time it happened to be a case of rodents chewing off the wires and had to spend about Rs.1000 to get this fixed at Honda service center.

Having done about 35,000 kms in my iDTEC, I actually find engine to be nicely settled and smooth. Not sure, how it well behave at 65,000 kms though.

On general query ,

does anyone knows how many sensors and there location on I-Dtec engine ? It would be really helpful if someone post the OBD scanned data here when the engine is in running condition (Idle time).

Many thanks in advance !!!

Quote:

I have had this light come up couple of times in 3 years and each time it happened to be a case of rodents chewing off the wires and had to spend about Rs.1000 to get this fixed at Honda service center.

Have you tried the Honda rodent repellent treatment that the service centres offer to keep rats away?

Guys, a quick question for City 2014 owners. I have the 2017 petrol V-MT City, which is essentially the same as the VMT of 2014 plus a few goodies.

My question: on the brand new car (500km driven) did you add any essential treatment - for example 3M paint protection etc that you swear by and think is absolutely crucial? For now I haven't added any such thing to my car :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadmaniac (Post 4170685)
My question: on the brand new car (500km driven) did you add any essential treatment - for example 3M paint protection etc that you swear by and think is absolutely crucial? For now I haven't added any such thing to my car :-)

I've done 3M under body coating and paint protection. I feel only under body coating is crucial. The "visible" effects of paint protection/polish only last for 1-1.5 months.

Hey BHPians.
My Honda City is 7 months old now and I hate the stock horn. It's been giving issues since day 1, sometimes only 1 horn works.

I really like the Skoda type horn and would like to change ASAP.
Can someone suggest which brand to go for, how many watts it is,will it void the warranty, and will it be a direct fit not involving any cutting of wires.

Thank you.
Issac.