Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-375.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4197089)
Yeah so I had that issue in my amaze a year or so back and the reason was a huge amount of dirt in the AC system, causing gas levels to go down and airflow to be blocked. I added the diy filter after that.

With a dirty filter - sometimes its best to just replace it, not just blow the dirt out with an air hose. And gas levels etc might need topping up after three years. Was that checked for?

Filter is clean. Gas level was checked. It was perfectly OK. Evaporator and condenser were in OK condition but were cleaned on my insistence.

Problem is not of low cooling. When it cools, it chills. Problem is that many times, it simply does not cool at all. And this problem is very easy to replicate and is happening everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4197092)
Filter is clean. Gas level was checked. It was perfectly OK. Evaporator and condenser were in OK condition but were cleaned on my insistence.

And yet cooling doesn't work and compressor cuts out?

Check the entire system for dust and debris - not just the evaporator.

Also check the condenser fan and its motor.

Some throttle sensors, ECU etc issues might cause it too but those are much rarer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4197093)
And yet cooling doesn't work and compressor cuts out?

Check the entire system for dust and debris - not just the evaporator.

Also check the condenser fan and its motor.

Some throttle sensors, ECU etc issues might cause it too but those are much rarer.

What can I say? I don't think there is any possible way as such for debris to enter the AC system in a car which is always driven in recirculation mode and has an AC filter. Foul smells from outside do not enter the cabin, which also indicates that there is no leak.

Condenser fan and motor were checked. They are working fine. What else can be possible?

AC guy is trusted and says this is a sure shot compressor problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4197095)
What can I say? I don't think there is any possible way as such for debris to enter the AC system in a car which is always driven in recirculation mode and has an AC filter. Foul smells from outside do not enter the cabin, which also indicates that there is no leak.

Condenser fan and motor were checked. They are working fine. What else can be possible?

AC guy is trusted and says this is a sure shot compressor problem.

Sheryans, Is your car under warranty?

There was a similar problem with my 10 year old Wagon R. No cooling at all. The dashboard was pulled out and all the dust cleaned and then it was working fine. No issues with compressor.

May be you want to check again with another Honda A.S.S. on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 4197495)
There was a similar problem with my 10 year old Wagon R. No cooling at all. The dashboard was pulled out and all the dust cleaned and then it was working fine. No issues with compressor.

May be you want to check again with another Honda A.S.S. on this.

Your case, this happens in cars without a cabin filter. Dirt and dust is able to enter the AC system and clogs the evaporator coil.

In my car however,
While the dealer simply dismissed the case with the money making "saar AC service karao, theek ho jaega"(7000 rupees for AC service? Seriously?), the FNG is confidently putting it is a compressor issue. They say they are getting quite a few Honda cars with this same problem and compressor-condenser replacement is the proper resolution. I don't see what other point is being missed for this to not be the case.

There's a thermal sensor which might get faulty and trip. Old figos had that all the time.

I still have my doubts about condenser because if it fails it tends to leak etc and that leaves visible signs if you physically inspect it.

Since last few days I am observing clutch is much harder than before. What could be the reason? Only thing I can think of is clutch plates gone bad.
Car is due for 70000 km service in a week. I suspect SA may recommend changing clutch plates. Is it normal for clutch plates to wear off in 70000 km?
In case they need to be changed any idea about the cost involved?

Hi ,

Has anyone seen the key batter low sign glow up in the 2014 City Console in the Fuel Gauge dial ?

It suddenly started to show up today morning. I dont have a photo yet , will post it soon.

Thanks,
Namit

Quote:

Originally Posted by namitkumar31 (Post 4201792)
Hi ,
Has anyone seen the key batter low sign glow up in the 2014 City Console in the Fuel Gauge dial ?

It suddenly started to show up today morning. I dont have a photo yet , will post it soon.

Thanks,
Namit

Yes. I have it too in my car. It's just a simple reminder to get the battery of the key changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4197071)
The AC of my diesel City is acting up quite badly. Whenever the car slows down in traffic or stops at red lights, the compressor trips.

He said that they are getting quite a few Citys and Amazes with this problem and have already changed a few compressor condenser sets this season. Apparently, the compressor being used is rather weak and has a service life of just 3 to 4 years. This problem seems to be fairly common.

That a manufacturer even puts such third-class quality components is a highly suspect proposition even in lesser mortals, leave alone a Honda. I don't think Honda has ever put in a compressor which needs replacement in three years in any model of their car/s anywhere in the world. You don't even have to double check on that. Period.

Now coming to the problem at hand, if you take into consideration that all other components are working well and the comp still trips, it can be the condenser/radiator fan acting up or stopping intermittently (possibly ecm related) or their circuits. If the comp was bad, it well not cool at any time, even at speed. Not in a three year old one for sure.

Even if that was the case, the HASS people would have pointed it out. The FNGs have a really good profit margin with replacing comps and condenser so they may be quoting that issue.

If you are in warranty just put your foot down and order the HASS to rectify whatever the problem is. Simple. If it's not rectified, you won't pay, anyway, will you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 4202024)
Now coming to the problem at hand, if you take into consideration that all other components are working well and the comp still trips, it can be the condenser/radiator fan acting up or stopping intermittently (possibly ecm related) or their circuits. If the comp was bad, it well not cool at any time, even at speed. Not in a three year old one for sure.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am also not convinced about this problem being caused by the compressor. However, the FNG in question is trusted and I do not want to just dismiss what they have to say. Which is why I am looking for pointers and other possible things which could have gone wrong.

They checked the fan. Had the car idling with AC on for a good 10 mins. It was 45 degrees outside and the fan was on all the time. No engine overheating. And no cooling.

Again, the issue crops up only when it is hot outside, or when the vehicle is driven in stop-go traffic or stops at red light etc. We've been having slightly cooler weather with overcast skies and the occasional drizzle for the past couple of days. The tripping has been less frequent.

Quote:

Even if that was the case, the HASS people would have pointed it out. The FNGs have a really good profit margin with replacing comps and condenser so they may be quoting that issue.

If you are in warranty just put your foot down and order the HASS to rectify whatever the problem is. Simple. If it's not rectified, you won't pay, anyway, will you?
I raised the issue at the 70000 km service. Dealer just dismissed it and said AC only needed basic servicing(for which they wanted 7k) and that everything else was in order. They basically washed their hands off it. If I remember correctly ,it was mentioned in my bill, AC checked - found OK. It is only because of this that I had to take my car to the FNG.

Quote:

That a manufacturer even puts such third-class quality components is a highly suspect proposition even in lesser mortals, leave alone a Honda. I don't think Honda has ever put in a compressor which needs replacement in three years in any model of their car/s anywhere in the world. You don't even have to double check on that. Period.
This City is my second Honda, the other being a gen-1 Jazz that has clocked 1L km. Let me tell you, the difference in build quality as well as overall quality of the two vehicles is stark. Jazz has not required any extra care apart from regular service and basic wear and tear parts. It is still as good as new. City though has had some niggle or the other ever since it crossed the 40000km mark. The life of things like clutch, brakes and suspensions is much less than what I managed with the Jazz, despite the City being driven mainly on national highways. Jazz has always been the beater car and is abused daily. Ergo, lower quality parts on the City. Not only lower quality, but also more expensive. I got an estimate of about 32-34k for clutch replacement :Frustrati

I would check thermal sensors and/or ecu. Most likely faulty sensors. If the compressor was physically inspected and showed no leaks then that means it should be in decent condition. A failing compressor won't cool properly at all, not just randomly cut out.

Couple of things to check when the compressor is cutting out intermittently .
1. A/C pressure transducer. This indicates to the ecu whether the gas pressure in the system is within low/high limits. It may be working intermittently.
2. Compressor control valve. This is located inside the compressor but is accessible without disassembling the compressor and can be changed easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4199973)
Since last few days I am observing clutch is much harder than before. What could be the reason? Only thing I can think of is clutch plates gone bad.
Car is due for 70000 km service in a week. I suspect SA may recommend changing clutch plates. Is it normal for clutch plates to wear off in 70000 km?
In case they need to be changed any idea about the cost involved?

70k kms is a decent life for the clutch plates. When I had enquired at Pearl Honda, Gurgaon, the SA mentioned the entire clutch assembly for the City would cost around 21k.

I'd suggest you take the car to the A.S.S. and then a FNG just for a second opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4202038)
They checked the fan. Had the car idling with AC on for a good 10 mins. It was 45 degrees outside and the fan was on all the time. No engine overheating. And no cooling.

Firstly, having the car idling doesn't replicate the same situation as stop-n-go traffic. In motion the rpm is around 1500-4500 normally so that has the comp at a higher pumping state creating higher gas pressure which will have different effect.

You are saying fan was on all the time. Were both the fans on? They both should be. If only one was on, which one was it? Condenser or radiator fan? Both should be on if ac is switched on. If one of them was off, at least at 45 deg ambient, it will certainly create high gas pressure and comp tripping. So what was it exactly.

Further, if one fan was on and it was the condenser fan, then the comp should certainly be on with it at least intermittently untill pressure goes high. If that's not the case, then your whole ac is not tripping, only the comp is. There is a safety sensor which is located within the circuit and is clamped to the comp body and the the comp main wire is routed through it. This boy is also a prime suspect. Not many know about this. Also it seems to be an overheating protection kind of sensor. I have come across a malfunctioning one before in a car. Bypassing the sensor solved the issue. That was not 45deg ambient though. You should try replacing with a new one​ and try again. Or bypassing just to check if this is the issue. All​ depends which fan was on.

Happy checking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4202088)
I would check thermal sensors and/or ecu. Most likely faulty sensors. If the compressor was physically inspected and showed no leaks then that means it should be in decent condition. A failing compressor won't cool properly at all, not just randomly cut out.

Rightly said. A faulty comp will never cool properly at any time. Whenever it does, that is.

Technically, sensors and/or ecu could cause this situation. Though unlikely in at this age of car.

There are commonly 3 sensors for the Automatic Climate Control(if you're using it in this mode). One just behind the front bumper which reads ambient temperature, one on the top of the dash near windshield to read sunlight conditions and one under the dash to read the return air temperature. The ACC works after considering inputs from these three primarily. Also there's a fourth one placed beside the evaporator which reads when the comp should cut off when the desired temp is reached. This one works also in manual ac mode.

The other sensors are safety type ones which are a high/low pressure cut off sensor in the liquid​ line, one on the comp body and one high pressure release valve, also on the comp body. These are failsafe types and don't regulate the normal working of the ac.