Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-421.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 4538091)
Thanks for reminding me to get 2 year extended warranty for my car. :thumbs up

Good to know that even key is covered under that.

Honda is offering up to 7 year extended warranty now provided your car is within 1 lakh km limit. So yes, it covers well under the extended warranty up to 7th year.

Contacted Honda dealer today. They will reprogram the existing keyfob and provide another new one. Cost estimate is around 12k which is covered in "loss of key cover" clause in the insurance. Am not sure if all the door locks/sensors will have to be changed, but logic suggests atleast locks will have to be changed unless they replicate the existing key in the keyfob at Honda facility. Will update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4537892)
Hey there!
One key-less fob of my City VX(O) 2014 got stolen yesterday. I have insurance mentioning "loss of key cover". Any clue if this kind of insurance cover takes care of key-less entry fobs? Does it require changing the whole key-less access system or just reprogramming of the existing keys and providing a new additional key?

Well I am kind of scared because the stolen key-less fob can be used to attempt a new theft, and that surely going to be my beloved City. :(

Also, if any member has an idea about key reprogramming outside Honda, that would be helpful in case Honda chooses to charge hefty amount and my insurer deny the claim.

Update: Got a claim registered and the surveyor has already checked the car. Now here is the issue: Surveyor has approved only one keyfob and told me that Honda will reprogramme the new key and the existing one with new code (lock and immobilizer). At this stage, Honda person tells me to ensure that both keyfobs are changed so that all the locks can be opened from the key (What all locks? my city has only two emergency key lock mechanisms on front doors for emergency purposes). Again, insurance person tells that Honda suggested to change all the keys only to make his commission. He added that in such cases of lost keyfobs, it is regular in the industry to provide only one keyfob under insurance which is reprogrammed with the existing key. I must say the insurance guy was pretty confident about this practice. Anyway, I couldn't take further clarification as it was pretty odd time when I called him. But yes, after some lecture (which probably I deserved for the late night callstupid:), he talked to me for about 15 minutes.

I have only one question. How in world the new keyfob's key will match my Car's old doors' lock? Since my city has the key-lock mechanisms in front doors (for emergency purposes), how providing only one keyfob (which assuming will have a new key) will help in case of emergency (for example, cases when my keyfob suddenly stops working and I have no other option but to use key provided with the keyfob to open the door of my car?) What am I missing here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4540532)
Update: Got a claim registered and the surveyor has already checked the car. Now here is the issue: Surveyor has approved only one keyfob and told me that Honda will reprogramme the new key and the existing one with new code (lock and immobilizer). At this stage, Honda person tells me to ensure that both keyfobs are changed so that all the locks can be opened from the key (What all locks? my city has only two emergency key lock mechanisms on front doors for emergency purposes). Again, insurance person tells that Honda suggested to change all the keys only to make his commission. He added that in such cases of lost keyfobs, it is regular in the industry to provide only one keyfob under insurance which is reprogrammed with the existing key. I must say the insurance guy was pretty confident about this practice. Anyway, I couldn't take further clarification as it was pretty odd time when I called him. But yes, after some lecture (which probably I deserved for the late night callstupid:), he talked to me for about 15 minutes.

I have only one question. How in world the new keyfob's key will match my Car's old doors' lock? Since my city has the key-lock mechanisms in front doors (for emergency purposes), how providing only one keyfob (which assuming will have a new key) will help in case of emergency (for example, cases when my keyfob suddenly stops working and I have no other option but to use key provided with the keyfob to open the door of my car?) What am I missing here?

The possible answer here can be that Honda will have the configuration of the lock provided in your car(linked to the Chasis #) and while providing the new fobkey to you, they will build the key accordingly before they program both the fobkeys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhisheknandan (Post 4541402)
The possible answer here can be that Honda will have the configuration of the lock provided in your car(linked to the Chasis #) and while providing the new fobkey to you, they will build the key accordingly before they program both the fobkeys.

But that doesn't solve the purpose. Thief will have my car's manual key. He ofcourse won't be able to start the car, but he can very well open the car pretty neat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4541408)
But that doesn't solve the purpose. Thief will have my car's manual key. He ofcourse won't be able to start the car, but he can very well open the car pretty neat!

That is the case with any key loss. You have to change the lock to completely mitigate the risk.

This is an interesting situation to be in! I am not sure if the change in lock is also covered in Insurance. That you may have to shell out from our pocket. But knowing the risk, I will suggest you go ahead and discuss on this with the service team. And remember, you are not only changing the lock, you will also have to change the 2nd key if you are changing the lock. So, basically, you have to change the complete Lock and Key setup with insurance covering only 1 key. This is precisely what Honda might be asking you to do.

My maid once washed my trousers with the fobkey in it:Frustrati. Till then, I was very careless with the fobkey, putting it on my desk or on the dining table without proper attention. When this happened, I took care of the key like my mobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4541408)

The new keyfob will be one in which the key will be a plain metal piece. It needs to be cut at the dealer end to be used in your car. It will contain a non-programmed chip also which will be programmed at dealer end so that it can be used to start your car. It’s all software governed, hence if the new key is reprogrammed with the car, the old key will be rendered useless. Even the spare key will be useless unless it is reprogrammed with the new key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4541455)
The new keyfob will be one in which the key will be a plain metal piece. It needs to be cut at the dealer end to be used in your car. It will contain a non-programmed chip also which will be programmed at dealer end so that it can be used to start your car. It's all software governed, hence if the new key is reprogrammed with the car, the old key will be rendered useless. Even the spare key will be useless unless it is reprogrammed with the new key.

So essentially that "spare plain metal" will also have to be reprogrammed? Is that what you are suggesting? That's interesting!
Just to be sure, have I understood you correctly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4541463)
So essentially that "spare plain metal" will also have to be reprogrammed? Is that what you are suggesting? That's interesting!
Just to be sure, have I understood you correctly?

You got me completely wrong buddy. The key fob has two essential parts, key and the chip. The key (metal) could be cut at the dealer end so that you can open the door by inserting the key in the key hole. The chip is the one that needs to be programmed to pair with the car (engine immobilizer system etc.) so that you can start the car using the new key by pressing the start/stop button. Once the new key is programmed, the old spare key also need to be re-programmed or paired with the car to be used to start the car, else you will not be able to use the old spare key to start the car. Am I clear now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4541555)
You got me completely wrong buddy. The key fob has two essential parts, key and the chip. The key (metal) could be cut at the dealer end so that you can open the door by inserting the key in the key hole. The chip is the one that needs to be programmed to pair with the car (engine immobilizer system etc.) so that you can start the car using the new key by pressing the start/stop button. Once the new key is programmed, the old spare key also need to be re-programmed or paired with the car to be used to start the car, else you will not be able to use the old spare key to start the car. Am I clear now?

I am so sorry Pavi, please bear it with me :confused:. One last time let us break it out. Here is my situation again (please see attached pics to know what I mean):

Keyfob = Key + Immobilizer (the key is a metal piece which is completely detachable from the chip containing immobilizer, like regular car key). I am giving pics of my Baleno Keyfob for reference of what I mean since my Honda keys are not with me. However, the configuration of key and immobilizer with Honda keys is exactly the same.

Honda originally gave me identical keyfobs, say Keyfob A and Keyfob B
Keyfob A got stolen
Keyfob B is with me, which means Key-B + Immobilizer-B is with me.
Now Honda says that they will give me new Keyfob, say Keyfob-C.
Keyfob-C = Key-C + Immobilizer C

I understand that Immobilizer C and Immobilizer B will be reprogrammed and will be matched with the car as well. What about the Keys? Key A is with a thief and by keeping the existing lock on front doors, the thief can still open the car (of course cannot start the car as immobilizer is reprogrammed, but yeah, still can open the door and steal stuff say A/V!). How Honda is taking care of my car's security unless they are not changing the old locks on the door? According to me, it is irrelevant that the new key-C is matched with the door lock as the key to the existing lock i.e. key-A is still with the thief.

It looks like the cowl top (the black plastic part running along the bottom of the windshield below the wipers) of the City is a source of squeaks when driving on uneven bumpy roads. I can live with the squeak but wish the squeak is eliminated by a proper fix for that peace of mind. Nobody else in the car except me (the driver) seems to notice this sound.

The standard approach for the Honda service folks if you mention about this rattle/squeak is for them to
1) Open the plastic cowl
2) Replace a small rubber beading that sits between the glass and the plastic cowl (costs about 300 Rs).
3) Put up a confident face with a slight grin indicating that they have fixed the problem (but I know its not a permanent solution but there is no point telling this to them)
The squeaks disappear for about 7 to 8 months before the cowl starts to squeak again (most likely due to wash/rain water entering the cowl area and hardening this rubber beading over time and the squeak returns)

I've opted for the above service center solution about three times during the last 4 years and want to try a better fix, I don't even mind trying a DIY by opening the cowl myself and sticking some double sided 3-M tape to take care of the squeaks. Which-ever genius person :Frustrati designed that cowl at Honda, better read this and design it properly so that it doesn't rattle.

Have anyone else faced the cowl rattling/squeaking when going on bumpy roads and if yes is there a permanent solution to this problem?

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that the Honda City is still the best you can get in the C2 segment in every aspect, no other car even comes close to it (my personal honest view, no offence). It is like the 'Innova' of C2 segment cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4541621)
It looks like the cowl top (the black plastic part running along the bottom of the windshield below the wipers) of the City is a source of squeaks when driving on uneven bumpy roads. I can live with the squeak but wish the squeak is eliminated by a proper fix for that peace of mind. Nobody else in the car except me (the driver) seem to notice this sound.

The standard approach for the Honda service folks if you mention about this rattle/squeak is for them to
1) Open the plastic cowl
2) Replace a small rubber beading that sits between the glass and the plastic cowl (costs about 300 Rs).
3) Show their confident grinning face indicating that they have fixed the problem (but I know its not a permanent solution but there is no point telling this to them)
The squeaks disappear for about 7 to 8 months before the cowl starts to squeak again.

I've opted for the above service center solution about three times during the last 4 years and want to try a better fix, I don't even mind trying a DIY by opening the cowl myself and sticking some double sided 3-M tape to take care of the squeaks.

Have anyone else faced the cowl rattling/squeaking when going on bumpy roads and if yes is there a permanent solution to this problem?

I had the exact same problem in my City and Whitefield Honda were less than useless. Peculiar thing is, it irritates only the driver, and once you hear it- you can't ignore it.

Simple solution mate - remove that cowl, clean the glass area, use liberal doses of 3M double sided tape and re-fix the cowl securely. The source of that noise is the cowl rubbing against the windscreen glass, and the 3M tape fixes that issue for good. I did that 6 months back, and the problem has disappeared for good.

Let me know how it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilminstrel (Post 4541596)
I am so sorry Pavi, please bear it with me :confused:. One last time let us break it out. Here is my situation again (please see attached pics to know what I mean):

We are at two different poles when it comes to our understanding. I think I am at South Pole as I have not seen any polar bears out here.lol:. Basically I was trying to make it clear that your car cannot be started with the old keyfob, but you were actually only worried about thief opening your car doors. Yes, as you mentioned that threat is still there until and unless the locks are changed. Sorry for wasting your time buddy stupid:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parth46 (Post 4541624)
Peculiar thing is, it irritates only the driver, and once you hear it- you can't ignore it.

Exactly!, you mention the problem to service guy and he sits besides you with a keen face with all ears during the drive to demonstrate the sound
Then you say "there there i just heard it" and he says "hmm? where" its like nobody except me can hear it :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parth46 (Post 4541624)
Simple solution mate - remove that cowl, clean the glass area, use liberal does of 3M double sided tape and re-fix the cowl securely. The source of that noise is the cowl rubbing against the windscreen glass, and the 3M tape fixes that issue for good. I did that 6 months back, and the problem has disappeared for good.

Thanks for the valuable tip:thumbs up
Last week i was suspecting that it could be also because of the bonnet sound dampener cladding and applied the double side tape between the metal and the cladding.
I'll try the same for the cowl area. Have to figure out how to remove the wipers and the cowl. I'm a DIY person so will give it a go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4541628)
Exactly!, you mention the problem to service guy and he sits besides you with a keen face with all ears during the drive to demonstrate the sound
Then you say "there there i just heard it" and he says "hmm? where" its like nobody except me can hear it

They're always all ears! Pretending they're trying hard to identify the issue - but at most times, they try to convince the customer that it's only him "hearing it" or "feeling it" and everything is fine with the car.

Quote:

Thanks for the valuable tip:thumbs up
Last week i was suspecting that it could be also because of the bonnet sound dampener cladding and applied the double side tape between the metal and the cladding.
I'll try the same for the cowl area. Have to figure out how to remove the wipers and the cowl. I'm a DIY person so will give it a go.
Even this fix was identified and executed by a private garage - a very friendly guy who drove several hundred meters over broken roads and listened very intently for the noise. Once he heard it, he was like - can't believe Honda guys couldn't hear it and did nothing about it.

Removing the wipers is actually pretty easy. Just be careful to align them back carefully as they might overlap slightly with the bottom of your field of vision if they are set too high.

The whole process didn't take more than 30 mins for us. All the best. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

But then again, one of the joys of owning this model is listening carefully to identify sources of squeaks/rattles and fixing them one by one. lol: