Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 17:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review

It's better late than never when it comes to introducing diesel DSG's for the VAG group. What took them so long to come to the party though? Some things we'll just never find out.

Love the Black edition Rapid in Silver, I've always been a sucker for silver and black (I blame Mika Hakkinen and the MP4-13 for that), and the white backlight in the interiors looks nicer than the green backlighting too.

A part of me does feel that the DQ200 puts a dampener on things with its torque limitations. Seems like going down the Kryptonite route is best left to those with giant cojones or manual transmissions or both!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 17:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review there!
Even with the updates, the car is not able to hide its age. Atleast a face treatment similar to the Octavia, Yeti etc. would have made it a bit more appealing. And a strange decision by the Skoda think tank to skip the 1.2 TSI for the Rapid.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
A part of me does feel that the DQ200 puts a dampener on things with its torque limitations. Seems like going down the Kryptonite route is best left to those with giant cojones or manual transmissions or both!
From a reliability standpoint is DQ200 less reliable that the DQ250? I understand the concept of wet/dry, but from a reliability stand point - do you see a major difference? DSG gearboxes have some long term issues, but in India how many keep their cars for more than 5 years. Gear box issues or maintenance costs normally rise when the terrain you constantly drive is hilly.
Old 15th October 2014, 19:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

As usual, very good review by team-bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent review there!
Even with the updates, the car is not able to hide its age. .

Yeah! I felt same going through the pictures posted. Or may be its due to the dull silver colour with black color mustache it is looking aged. Somehow black edition doesn’t go well with silver color Rapid but white one looks good.

Just 2 year warranty even with DSG and pay extra for extended shield package! At least for DSG they should have given 5 years warranty looking at previous failures. That surely would have boosted customer confidence. If they had really sorted out the issue, they giving 4-5 year warranty should not be an issue for them. 2 year seems too less for expensive to maintain Skoda.

Compared to manual Transmission or a typical Auto transmission, what kind of extra regular maintenance expenses we can expect for DSG? (other than failures )
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 19:51   #20
D4D
BHPian

If VAG can provide a 10 year warranty on transmission and improve their service quality, it's goodbye for City and Verna.

Vento/Rapid ride better, have better handling, are incredibly efficient and are simply the better cars in the segment.

Space maybe a problem for some, whereas ASS and DSG reliability is a key factor for people buying these cars.
Old 15th October 2014, 20:01   #21
BHPian

Somehow I did not like the new black alloys especially with the thin silver ring. Looks aftermarket and not that of a very good taste. The car with the silver alloy looks smarter in comparison. The black version could have had better design smoked alloys.
Old 15th October 2014, 20:05   #22
BHPian

Excellent & Comprehensive Review! A good move to offer the DSG with a diesel heart!

Just out of curiosity when can we see the major Facelift of the Rapid? Is it mid 2015 or some time even later?
Old 15th October 2014, 20:34   #23
BANNED

This is an accurate review. The earlier Rapid is explosive – it’s in-gear acceleration timings in the 40-100 kmph slog in 4th gear is 2.35 seconds faster than the New Octavia / 5.26 seconds faster than the 164 bhp Cruze / 4.69 seconds faster than the new Jetta / 4 seconds faster than the 140bhp Yeti / 1.67 seconds faster than the Superb 1.8 TSI / 1.09 seconds faster than the earlier Laura vRS / 1.8 TSI !!

With a fuel efficiency that can even cross 24 kmpl with a light foot you could call it sinning without paying the price.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 15th October 2014 at 20:51.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 22:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
From a reliability standpoint is DQ200 less reliable that the DQ250? I understand the concept of wet/dry, but from a reliability stand point - do you see a major difference? DSG gearboxes have some long term issues, but in India how many keep their cars for more than 5 years. Gear box issues or maintenance costs normally rise when the terrain you constantly drive is hilly.

Just going by their individual track records of reliability, I'd say yes. Of course, I've read of cases of the DQ250 cooking off as well for some unfortunate souls.

Reliability might well be improved after Volkswagen has implemented the changes they've recently purported, but only time can tell if that is so. As of now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the DQ200 being reliable because Volkswagen would not have used it in a mainstream manner without being sure of it. Even so, it's a case of wait and watch.

Importantly though, Volkswagen has been supportive of fixing cars with mechatronic issues. So I'd still recommend DQ200 cars, just that I'd buy one with my eyes open and knowing what I'm walking into.
Old 16th October 2014, 00:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing a brilliant review anshuman. Beautiful explanation on how the DSG works with the new 1.5L. Can't wait for a TD.

I really like the new five spoke alloy. They look stunning. The updated MID and the new steering wheel too looks great. The colour combination of the interior trim is all wrong and boring though.

My wishlist to make this package perfect.
  1. All black interiors + Milan upholstery a must.
  2. Black edition on a white car with the new five spoke alloy.
  3. Skoda shield with at least a 5 year unlimited warranty on the DSG unit
  4. A bit more feel from the steering and a GT badge.
  5. And a little lowered. Hate the new trend of higher GC. Everyone should learn from the 2014 Fiesta how its done.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 07:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

I love the convenience of the DSG but would have liked a 10 Yr warranty on the DSG.
That said if RAPID is strictly a 4 seater, it is not going to cut it for me.

Looks like we have to wait for XUV500 AT, which can seat 5-6 people in reasonable comfort with an AT. But price will be much higher.

Car buying decisions are and have always been jigsaw puzzles.
Old 16th October 2014, 08:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great review as usual.

I have driven and travelled in a Vento TSI. DSG is defenitely a blast. The gear shifts are so smooth that the passengers wont even know the shifts.

Somehow, despite the age, I like the clean design of the Vento and Rapid more than the fluidic Verna and the now fluidic City. They come across as a bit over the top for me.

I guess the only thing that will stop me from buying a Rapid is the reliability concerns of the gear box. Combine that with the poor after sales, it suddenly becomes a scary proposition.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 08:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great review - covered all parts in intricate detail!!
How is VAG inspirng more confidence into more buyers? Surely they need to explain whats done to improve the reliability into this DSG kit. Most folks who have net connectivity wouldnt bother. I am sure VAG have done tests to show 1Lakh or 1Million kms with this which they can put to good use for the fence-sitters like me (there are many!)..
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 08:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

If VAG group has sorted out the issues pertaining to DSG then they must and should go ahead and offer a longer warranty on the unit. Atleast for 5 years / 100,000 km.

Advantages:

- Confidence among buyers (specially those who want to have a VW / Skoda, but are afraid of after sales and product quality)

- Since the product has a longer warranty, the buyer tend to stick to the authorized dealers for service and support rather then a neighborhood garage, atleast some good recurring business for the company and if they have to monitor the performance of their product, it can well be managed as the vehicle keeps on visiting the dealership at regular intervals.

Out and out, I have seen that a longer warranty has benefits for both parties and keeps the customer happy with the product and company.

Good work by VAG to offer DSG in C2 segment with a good choice. FIAT? Can you please do something with the two models that you have !
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 09:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Finally; VW/Skoda give us an Automatic for the People (Don't sue me R.E.M)

As awareness grows on the convenience, ease of driving and improved economy of a diesel automatic, it won't be long before we see the automatic outselling the manual.

We should also find out much sooner if VW's claim of various improvements done to the dsg hold true or not.

Good to know the back lighting for the clocks has changed on the new Rapid. The previous one had a very 80's green glow.

The alloys on the black edition look low rent and the design in not in line with the rest of the theme.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th October 2014 at 09:58.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks