Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 15:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Skoda should have showed its seriousness towards India by launching the 2015 Rapid instead of this car with a minor makeover.
I simultaneously wish they had, and am happy they haven't. As a 2013 (end) and "mid" upgrade version Rapid owner (Elegance, without the projector head-lights), I already feel aggrieved. The new Rapid would have been rubbing salt on the wounds.

However, I love the new Rapid, and might even think of it as an upgrade in four more years if launched. IMHO the new Octavia has grown too much, and has become impractically large for the city, yet can still only carry four (five in discomfort) and a lot of luggage. The new Rapid would be just big enough and hopefully come with the TSI engines, so I'd be very happy with that.

Of course all this is only if my current ownership of a Skoda is uneventful

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Am i the only one who thinks that the 'Black Edition' looks hideous?
Nope, that was what I thought. Especially the alloys, although it might look better in person, and in a different colour.

Quote:
Does the Rapid 1.5tdi DSG come with the multi link rear suspension?
No, they would have been shouting from the rooftops if this were true!
Old 17th October 2014, 19:22   #47
BHPian

Have done the TD of Vento DSG today. I really want to beg please go and try it before finalizing CIAZ/CITY/Verna, its in complete different league. The gear up shift is accurate and fast although 3rd gear have longer change ratio. Even with so much hard press, not able to cross even 5th gear in Delhi traffic and car was flying in no time.

I am not sure about the mileage though, the trip meter was showing 8.9 km/l and the TD guy was saying it will give max of 15-16. Also, surprised by the absence of Cruise control option and Rapid surely have upper hand in that department.
chaudharysaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 22:26   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update* Following changes made to the opening post. Red + black edition isn't an option, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 'black edition' is only available with the white & silver body colours. We feel it would look fabulous on black as well (all-black, something like this?). It'll be made available on the 'champagne beige' in December.
Thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 11:59   #49
BANNED

The car seems to have got rave reviews. But 104 bhp? In 2014? How can this car have sport-car like acceleration with just 104 BHP on tap? Am I missing something here? What is the trick and what is the 0-100 timimg? My whole focus revolves around 0-100, 20-80 and 40-100 timings. Nothing else. Somebody tell me it has low numbers of seconds for those speeds and I am even willing to overlook DSG issues. BTW, black theme looks sporty. May be a little boy-racerish but not bad.
Old 19th October 2014, 20:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The car seems to have got rave reviews. But 104 bhp? In 2014? How can this car have sport-car like acceleration with just 104 BHP on tap?
104 Bhp may look a lot less, but drive a VAG and you would understand the driving dynamics are far superior compared to other cars except Linea & Fiesta. You can easily cruise at 140+ Kmph without an issue where as you would have second thoughts in a Jap & Koreans. With DSG gear shift becomes so quick that you always have power on tap.
Old 19th October 2014, 22:03   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car seems to have got rave reviews. But 104 bhp? In 2014? How can this car have sport-car like acceleration with just 104 BHP on tap? Am I missing something here?

Can you point out which other car produces more power, in this segment? Except for the Verna which gets 126hp.

Ciaz gets to do with 89bhp, City gets 99, Fiesta gets 90, Linea gets 92 while the Renault Nissan twins get 85hp each. Please explain how 104hp sounds so less in 2014? That too with 250 Nm of torque to go with it?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 16:57   #52
BHPian

Read in the papers yesterday that Rapid DSG comes in with a 5 year warranty as introductory offer!
an_and is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 20:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
The car seems to have got rave reviews. But 104 bhp? In 2014? How can this car have sport-car like acceleration with just 104 BHP on tap? Am I missing something here? What is the trick and what is the 0-100 timimg? My whole focus revolves around 0-100, 20-80 and 40-100 timings. Nothing else. Somebody tell me it has low numbers of seconds for those speeds and I am even willing to overlook DSG issues. BTW, black theme looks sporty. May be a little boy-racerish but not bad.
Just to add to what el bobo and crazy driver have already explained in precise words, the power and torque figures in VAG cars are measured at wheels which is not the case with jap and korean cars.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Just to add to what el bobo and crazy driver have already explained in precise words, the power and torque figures in VAG cars are measured at wheels which is not the case with jap and korean cars.
Can you please explain about the power and torque figure measurement methods with VAG and jap cars in detail. do you mean that had it been measured the japs way, it would have been more than 104bhp and 250nm? and the honda city's power would have been less than 117bhp (i-vtec) had it been measured the VAG's way?
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 01:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Can you please explain about the power and torque figure measurement methods with VAG and jap cars in detail. do you mean that had it been measured the japs way, it would have been more than 104bhp and 250nm? and the honda city's power would have been less than 117bhp (i-vtec) had it been measured the VAG's way?
What it means is that the VAG figures account for the power lost in transmission to the wheels as well and the figures are not measured at crank. This practice of VAG is against the settled norms in the industry where the power figures quoted are typically at crank.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...in-power-loss/

The article above would explain what the transmission loss really means.

As far as my knowledge about VAG giving figures at wheels is concerned, the same has been discussed in this forum only but i am unable to trace it out. However, it appears that Golf is one known car where the owners have found that the car when dynoed gave the figures more than stated by VW!

For reference sake, find below the link to an article mentioning that German automakers underrate the power output of their engines for various reasons.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...in-power-loss/

For clarity on this the experts here can pitch in
torque18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
What it means is that the VAG figures account for the power lost in transmission to the wheels as well and the figures are not measured at crank. This practice of VAG is against the settled norms in the industry where the power figures quoted are typically at crank.

As far as my knowledge about VAG giving figures at wheels is concerned, the same has been discussed in this forum only but i am unable to trace it out.
I'm wondering why would VW do something different from the norm? If someone could point me to a reference from VW or a some other credible source, I will turn a believer.
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:42   #57
BHPian

What matters is at what RPM the torque is generated - the lower the RPM, the quicker is your 0-100. With our country where people value mileage more than anything car manufacturers are not keen on bringing the higher capacity engines with higher torque and BHP...😔
adnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 23:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am i the only one who thinks that the 'Black Edition' looks hideous?

Like a middle aged portly man who decided to borrow his daughter's goth makeup.

Other than that,a very good review which really highlights how a DSG works for first time DSG users,which i guess this car is going to attract many.

Does the Rapid 1.5tdi DSG come with the multi link rear suspension?

How exactly is VW positioning both the Vento DSG and Rapid DSG? To a person who doesn't own a car from either stable,i cant see much of a difference from a brand stand point. Infact,if i had to go for one,i would pick the Vento just because its the lesser when when it comes to reliability and after sales support.
I don't see how a Rapid can be less reliable than the Vento, they are identical cars. Yes, the after sales could be better with VW.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 05:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manual 1.6 TDI got me a 0-100 timing of 10.4 Secs. Believe DSG shifts faster than most drivers, with slightly downsized engine, i think, it will be probably 0.2 secs slower as difference will be felt more in top end.

BTW,

My own black edition was done 15 months ago :P

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...per-tonne.html
Old 29th October 2014, 12:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will give you an example.
I have Old HondaCity Vtec model supposedly has 106 BHP.
Most of my friends when they drive they say where is the power?
Of course the are right because they drive it like an elder person who dare not go above 2500 RPM.

The demonstrable power of this Vtec engine is above 4000 RPM.
Therefore in 0-100 dash where you run till redline it performs well.

When people talk about sports car like acceleration, they are mostly talking about starting RPM from 1500 to 3000 or so.

Ideally sports car like acceleration should mean only one thing: Rising torque with rising RPM.
THAT is something that will always give a sports car feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnair View Post
What matters is at what RPM the torque is generated - the lower the RPM, the quicker is your 0-100. With our country where people value mileage more than anything car manufacturers are not keen on bringing the higher capacity engines with higher torque and BHP...��
Not entirely true because for a quick 0-100 one will need to be in the same gear till red line, and in that case it makes a better sense to have BHP at high revs (so that you don't have to change gears).

In case of a diesel vehicle (which has higher torque and therefore higher bhp at low RPM), you will have to keep shifting the gears up in order to stay withing this power band. In case of turbo charged petrol you do get power till high RPM, and therefore TSIs are always faster than TDIs.

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th October 2014 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks