Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 23:02   #211
BHPian

Congrats Equus on your brand new Dusty AWD. She's a hell of a car, an SUV rather. Enjoy every one of those 109 horses. Wish you a happy journey ahead.
Buying the RXz over the RXl was a very wise decision. The safety and peace of mind while driving is the worth the premium. Moreover, it's a onetime spend, you will never regret this decision.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th December 2014 at 23:11.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:26   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Congrats Equus on your brand new Dusty AWD. She's a hell of a car, an SUV rather. Enjoy every one of those 109 horses. Wish you a happy journey ahead.
Buying the RXz over the RXl was a very wise decision. The safety and peace of mind while driving is the worth the premium. Moreover, it's a onetime spend, you will never regret this decision.
Thanks mate - loving every bit of her so far! Infact the sales person told me the discount on RXL is higher (80k+) since most folks are buying the RXZ (discount of 50K). This strategy has worked well for Renault it seems!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 20:50   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Thanks mate - loving every bit of her so far! Infact the sales person told me the discount on RXL is higher (80k+) since most folks are buying the RXZ (discount of 50K). This strategy has worked well for Renault it seems!
We too bought our Duster a couple of weeks ago from Abhishek at Renault Silk Board. One thing I must say about my car buying experience, it was fantastic! After breaking my head with Volkswagen over the past few years, I really found this to be a pleasurable experience and Renault doesn't seem to have their head high up in the clouds the way Volkswagen does. There was no hanky panky with Renault Silk Board and all the charges such as tax were accurate. We too saved around 15K on the insurance by getting it from outside and like you without the NCB discount.

The discount on RxL is being given by Renault. It is actually 70K on ex-show room price which works out to around 79K in the end because of equivalent reductions for insurance and tax. A source (not Abhishek and not at the dealer) told me that Renault is planning to discontinue the RxL variant on both 2WD & AWD models and hence the manufacturer discount on both of these. This has something to do with product positioning as the AWD RxL variant was originally supposed to compete with the Scorpio 4X4, but instead they and the market considers XUV as the primary competition. If what I have been told is true, only the facelifted Duster AWD RxZ will come as early as January for an on road price of approx. 16.5 lakhs with a hike of 20K.

We were planning to buy the AWD RxZ but when I came home and saw the pricelist, I was shocked at the price difference between the RxZ and RxL. I went through the differences with a fine toothcomb and realized that the only thing I was missing was the passenger side airbag which in itself was another shock to me as car manufacturers usually hold a critical feature back to coerce the buyer to buy the higher variant. Ultimately we bit the bullet and bought the RxL.

Ride quality of the Duster is awesome! Words cannot describe it accurately as it chews potholes and spead breakers with aplomb.
nowwhat? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 21:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
We too bought our Duster a couple of weeks ago from Abhishek at Renault Silk Board. One thing I must say about my car buying experience, it was fantastic! After breaking my head with Volkswagen over the past few years, I really found this to be a pleasurable experience and Renault doesn't seem to have their head high up in the clouds the way Volkswagen does. There was no hanky panky with Renault Silk Board and all the charges such as tax were accurate. We too saved around 15K on the insurance by getting it from outside and like you without the NCB discount.

The discount on RxL is being given by Renault. It is actually 70K on ex-show room price which works out to around 79K in the end because of equivalent reductions for insurance and tax. A source (not Abhishek and not at the dealer) told me that Renault is planning to discontinue the RxL variant on both 2WD & AWD models and hence the manufacturer discount on both of these. This has something to do with product positioning as the AWD RxL variant was originally supposed to compete with the Scorpio 4X4, but instead they and the market considers XUV as the primary competition. If what I have been told is true, only the facelifted Duster AWD RxZ will come as early as January for an on road price of approx. 16.5 lakhs with a hike of 20K.

We were planning to buy the AWD RxZ but when I came home and saw the pricelist, I was shocked at the price difference between the RxZ and RxL. I went through the differences with a fine toothcomb and realized that the only thing I was missing was the passenger side airbag which in itself was another shock to me as car manufacturers usually hold a critical feature back to coerce the buyer to buy the higher variant. Ultimately we bit the bullet and bought the RxL.

Ride quality of the Duster is awesome! Words cannot describe it accurately as it chews potholes and spead breakers with aplomb.
Congratulations to you as well! Yeah the ride quality is simply superb - infact I imagine my Duster arrogantly pulling towards bad roads!

You're right - Renault is effectively charging almost 2L for the extra air-bag, alloys, AVN and cruise/speed de-limiter. The RXL is not under-loaded at all and one wishes never to have to use the services of the airbag!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 22:28   #215
BHPian

hi nowwhat,
you could be right when you say RXL would no longer be there. I saw an article http://www.carwale.com/renault-cars/dusterfacelift/ and it is crisply written that "Renault will do away with the RxZ and RxL optional variants...". Also there is autoportal link http://autoportal.com/newcars/renault/duster-facelift/ which says "What has been updated though is the front grille that has been revised, the headlamp assembly has been re-designed... "
Please read through.

Now I am confused. I am a prospective buyer of Duster and have almost zeroed in on RxL variant (only indecisive on whether to go for 85ps or 110 ps). Now the facelift makes me confused, whether to wait or take the discount bait that is present today.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:54   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
yeah..very strange.I feel its the transmission not being able to handle the sudden surge of the turbo
Well update from my side since I reported that Renault has changed the transmission in my Duster RXL AWD but couldn't get rid of this noise completely, they have now informed me that they are changing the gearbox also after consultation with the Chennai plant !! The replacement gearbox is expected around 19th Dec, so my wait continues.

It seems to me that they are clueless what is causing this problem and at this rate, they may just go on and change all critical parts but still not give me a new car that I am demanding from them. Thankfully have got an email from them now confirming they will pay me Rs.1200/ day from 6th Dec.
I have reconciled to the fact that Renault will not be able to solve this problem and eventually when I get my car back, I am very scared to even test for this problem. Perhaps its better to live with it and have the car than not having car altogether again.
DIBISENA2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 23:20   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBISENA2 View Post
Well update from my side since I reported that Renault has changed the transmission in my Duster RXL AWD but couldn't get rid of this noise completely, they have now informed me that they are changing the gearbox also after consultation with the Chennai plant !! The replacement gearbox is expected around 19th Dec, so my wait continues.

It seems to me that they are clueless what is causing this problem and at this rate, they may just go on and change all critical parts but still not give me a new car that I am demanding from them. Thankfully have got an email from them now confirming they will pay me Rs.1200/ day from 6th Dec.
I have reconciled to the fact that Renault will not be able to solve this problem and eventually when I get my car back, I am very scared to even test for this problem. Perhaps its better to live with it and have the car than not having car altogether again.
Well, why are you giving up? You seemed to panic at it - so I thought its lot more serious. I am not sure if I observed what you have stated - my car has run under 300 as yet and Abhishek (sales) told me to keep it under 70 till then. I did notice once that in the 5th gear, there was a (fairly) louder sound that was noticeable and it went away in about 2-3 mins. It never happened again as I tried 3-4 times to recreate it. But I didnt notice any issues post that. I am going to the showroom tomm for seat covers - so will have this checked. But I am not losing sleep over it yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hi nowwhat,
you could be right when you say RXL would no longer be there. I saw an article http://www.carwale.com/renault-cars/dusterfacelift/ and it is crisply written that "Renault will do away with the RxZ and RxL optional variants...". Also there is autoportal link http://autoportal.com/newcars/renault/duster-facelift/ which says "What has been updated though is the front grille that has been revised, the headlamp assembly has been re-designed... "
Please read through.

Now I am confused. I am a prospective buyer of Duster and have almost zeroed in on RxL variant (only indecisive on whether to go for 85ps or 110 ps). Now the facelift makes me confused, whether to wait or take the discount bait that is present today.
Go for 110 - easy call And AWD RXL if RXZ is not an option.
The facelists will come and go - dont bother too much about them. Though its stupid of Renault to launch the AWD version 3-4 months before a facelift.

The AWD version is the biggest "facelift" for this car already! Its way more drivable than the 2WD 110BHP + ESP/Traction/Hill assist. This brilliant highway cruiser just got more meaningful kit! To me, these features make a lot more sense than fancier grill/auto AC,start/stop,etc.

Lot of folks will say, you paid over 15L for Duster??!! Well, its worth it! Apart from whats already written in this review, I can add that the plastics might seem cheap but they are surely durable. Rugged is right word I guess - they will last!

Last edited by bblost : 18th December 2014 at 12:31. Reason: back to back. Please use Edit instead.
Old 18th December 2014, 00:32   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I did notice once that in the 5th gear, there was a (fairly) louder sound that was noticeable and it went away in about 2-3 mins. It never happened again as I tried 3-4 times to recreate it. But I didnt notice any issues post that. I am going to the showroom tomm for seat covers - so will have this checked. But I am not losing sleep over it yet!
I have done 850km till now in my duster. I am able to hear a noise while moving from 60-70 in 6th gear, but it sounds more like the turbo to me. The worrying thing is that it doesn't sound the same every time! No other issues absolutely.
Swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 05:42   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I have done 850km till now in my duster. I am able to hear a noise while moving from 60-70 in 6th gear, but it sounds more like the turbo to me. The worrying thing is that it doesn't sound the same every time! No other issues absolutely.
yes the turbo whine starts at that range..but apart from the turbo whine, there is a mechanical parts rubbing sound and this is what is worrying us.
racerme? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 00:19   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
yes the turbo whine starts at that range..but apart from the turbo whine, there is a mechanical parts rubbing sound and this is what is worrying us.
I was held up for couple days and found time today to get the seat covers done (at the dealership). Abhishek helped me get a technician and we went for a test drive but the issue wasnt recreated. I have experienced it only once - my very first ride from home to Bellandur Shell fuel station on sat morning. After that, havent hit it. Hope I dont hit it again too! Cheers!
Old 25th December 2014, 14:03   #221
BHPian

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum and I'm thrilled to be here. I've been an avid reader for a while and the views posted on this site were one of the significant reasons I bought the Duster AWD about a month ago.

My RXZ AWD (Amazon Green) was delivered at the end of November in Mumbai. I swapped my 2007 Innova which had 190,000 km on the odo. A brilliant car, right till the end. It was time for a change and after much research and deliberation, zeroed down on the Duster. Delivery process was pretty smooth.

It's been a month and the car has done just over 2000 km. While the drive has been excellent, there are a few niggling issues that I have noticed in the last month. Some of the same issues have been mentioned by members on this thread, some are all new.
  1. The issues of rust are well documented on the forum and other websites. It is true in my case as well. The pictures are self explanatory.
  2. There is a clunking sound coming from the rear every time the car goes over a bump (speed breaker, pothole) at moderate speed.
  3. The air conditioner isn't as good as the Innova's which I was used to. Occasionally, the cooling drops drastically, without explanation. At the time of the test drive when I took it to the service center, this was pointed out by the service engineer himself.
  4. When the wiper is switched on, there is a constant clicking sound which comes from near the glove compartment, where I'm guessing the electronics are located.
  5. At the time of filling fuel, the pump automatically cuts off at about 40-43 liters. After that, another 12-15 liters can be filled manually, but extremely slowly, since the fuel does not go down quick. I don't know if this is a problem with all Dusters (design flaw?)
As soon as these were noticed, I emailed the dealer and was introduced to the service center. Took the car there and they kept it for a day. They were made aware of the issues during a test drive. They wanted to keep the car overnight, but since my first service was due in a week-ten days anyway, I told them I'd bring the car once and for all and they could work on it then. I'm going to drop it off now and see what they say. The last time I was there and brought up the issue of rusting of components, I was told that they're cast iron and cannot be coated/painted and that it is normal. I found that reply very strange and told them that over the years, with every car I'd owned, I'd never seen anything like it.

Anyway, let's hope they find solutions this time around. I'll post here as and when I hear something.

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_20141209_174041.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_20141209_174059.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_20141209_174050.jpg  

KMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 22:28   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum and I'm thrilled to be here. I've been an avid reader for a while and the views posted on this site were one of the significant reasons I bought the Duster AWD about a month ago.

My RXZ AWD (Amazon Green) was delivered at the end of November in Mumbai. I swapped my 2007 Innova which had 190,000 km on the odo. A brilliant car, right till the end. It was time for a change and after much research and deliberation, zeroed down on the Duster. Delivery process was pretty smooth.

It's been a month and the car has done just over 2000 km. While the drive has been excellent, there are a few niggling issues that I have noticed in the last month. Some of the same issues have been mentioned by members on this thread, some are all new.
  1. The issues of rust are well documented on the forum and other websites. It is true in my case as well. The pictures are self explanatory.
  2. There is a clunking sound coming from the rear every time the car goes over a bump (speed breaker, pothole) at moderate speed.
  3. The air conditioner isn't as good as the Innova's which I was used to. Occasionally, the cooling drops drastically, without explanation. At the time of the test drive when I took it to the service center, this was pointed out by the service engineer himself.
  4. When the wiper is switched on, there is a constant clicking sound which comes from near the glove compartment, where I'm guessing the electronics are located.
  5. At the time of filling fuel, the pump automatically cuts off at about 40-43 liters. After that, another 12-15 liters can be filled manually, but extremely slowly, since the fuel does not go down quick. I don't know if this is a problem with all Dusters (design flaw?)
As soon as these were noticed, I emailed the dealer and was introduced to the service center. Took the car there and they kept it for a day. They were made aware of the issues during a test drive. They wanted to keep the car overnight, but since my first service was due in a week-ten days anyway, I told them I'd bring the car once and for all and they could work on it then. I'm going to drop it off now and see what they say. The last time I was there and brought up the issue of rusting of components, I was told that they're cast iron and cannot be coated/painted and that it is normal. I found that reply very strange and told them that over the years, with every car I'd owned, I'd never seen anything like it.

Anyway, let's hope they find solutions this time around. I'll post here as and when I hear something.

Cheers !
I can see that you've OEM tires to the Yokohama Geolander ATS All Terrain Tires!

What size are these?

Are the alloys upgraded too? What size?

How's the ride on the tarmac compared to OEM?

Hove you done any offroading with these?

Can you show us a full size image of the SUV

Thanks a ton!
Old 26th December 2014, 00:31   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I can see that you've OEM tires to the Yokohama Geolander ATS All Terrain Tires!

What size are these?

Are the alloys upgraded too? What size?

How's the ride on the tarmac compared to OEM?

Hove you done any offroading with these?

Can you show us a full size image of the SUV

Thanks a ton!
Hey ! Yeah, did that straight off the bat.

Drove them all of 30km before I swapped out the Wanderers, so I can't gauge much about how much better they were exactly. But the ride right now is smooth. It's quieter on tarmac than the C Drives on my Innova were. I've been partial to Yokos; ran two sets of C Drives on the Innova and these are as grippy on road as those were. The size is stock 215/65-16. Haven't done much off roading really, but some of the roads in Mumbai at the moment resemble the surface of the Moon.

The alloys are the ones that come with the Duster but they are smoked-grey. Anthracite alloys is what Renault calls them. 16 inchers.

Don't have the pictures with me at the moment and the car is in the shop. So I'll get them up once I get the car back. Fingers crossed !
Old 26th December 2014, 11:04   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
The last time I was there and brought up the issue of rusting of components, I was told that they're cast iron and cannot be coated/painted and that it is normal. I found that reply very strange and told them that over the years, with every car I'd owned, I'd never seen anything like it.

Cheers !
KMan , I doubt whether the colour of the hubs is actually rust. All four of them are the same , it is there in mine to and all other other 4WD Dusters I have inspected. When my car was raised , first during Underbody Coating and second time during the first service , I carefully inspected the rear hubs. The front two have limited access as there is a protective plate however it is the same thing and colour. It you run your hands over the hub it is smooth with no graininess and there will be no residue on your hands. Either it is somewhat polished or have a protective coat of some material , it did not seem like rust at all. However the colour makes it appear as a rusted piece.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:20   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
KMan , I doubt whether the colour of the hubs is actually rust. All four of them are the same , it is there in mine to and all other other 4WD Dusters I have inspected. When my car was raised , first during Underbody Coating and second time during the first service , I carefully inspected the rear hubs. The front two have limited access as there is a protective plate however it is the same thing and colour. It you run your hands over the hub it is smooth with no graininess and there will be no residue on your hands. Either it is somewhat polished or have a protective coat of some material , it did not seem like rust at all. However the colour makes it appear as a rusted piece.
Hey DriveTrain.

I went to give the car for the first service yesterday myself. I wanted to get the oil changed, so they raised the car to drain it. I had a walk around below it too, with the service rep. You're right about the front two having limted access but since they were draining the oil, the protective plate was unscrewed and taken off. The front two were fine with no similar issues and were smooth to touch. However, the rear two, pictures of which I attached, did appear to be rusted. The service rep ran his finger over both and there was a residue which was deposited on his finger. And he agreed that it was rust.

They said that once they open a job card, they can escalate this to the factory level at Renault and whatever response he would get from them, he would forward it to me.

I'm waiting to see what the outcome will be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks