Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 21:13   #241
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBISENA2 View Post
Well update from my side since I reported that Renault has changed the transmission in my Duster RXL AWD but couldn't get rid of this noise completely, they have now informed me that they are changing the gearbox also after consultation with the Chennai plant !!
=====
Perhaps its better to live with it and have the car than not having car altogether again.
Can you please tell us if the transmission noise is completely eliminated after the gearbox replacement ?
pkirwadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:55   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirwadi View Post
Can you please tell us if the transmission noise is completely eliminated after the gearbox replacement ?
Sorry I was travelling for a while and hence didn't get time to update. I got the car back on 19th Dec and the problem has not been rectified. Renault claims that now the noise is in line with other AWD vehicles but the fact is the noise persists albeit at a lower decibel level exactly at the same 6th gear/ 60 - 70 kmph speed combination. This is not all, I also found rusting in all four wheels section when I took the car for putting in new alloys! Am I the only one who thinks that Renault India's launch of the AWD version is basically to get rid of the Chennai factory made "Rusters" that they can no longer sell to the UK market ?? Anyways I got the discs painted and changed to Maxxis Bravo 771 AT tyres with 235/60/R 16 specs. Tyres are good and despite being AT no increase in road noise and good grip through corners. Ride is a bit firm now but not altered the ride comfort in any way. I tried uploading some photos with the new alloys and tyres but couldn't succeed because my photos exceed the permitted upload size for photos. Will try later.
DIBISENA2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 19:20   #243

Quote:
I tried uploading some photos with the new alloys and tyres but couldn't succeed because my photos exceed the permitted upload size for photos. Will try later.
Here are a few photos with the new alloys, 235 /60/R 16 Maxxis AT tyres and few cosmetic paint jobs (primarily to take care of the rusting issue in wheels) including the front grill
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150107-19.11.26.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150107-19.10.10.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150107-19.10.56.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150107-19.14.00.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150107-19.13.21.jpg  

DIBISENA2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 19:37   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Renault claims that now the noise is in line with other AWD vehicles but the fact is the noise persists albeit at a lower decibel level exactly at the same 6th gear/ 60 - 70 kmph speed combination. This is not all, I also found rusting in all four wheels section when I took the car for putting in new alloys! Am I the only one who thinks that Renault India's launch of the AWD version is basically to get rid of the Chennai factory made "Rusters" that they can no longer sell to the UK market ??

Thanks for the update. Mine is now 7 days old. I have the exact observations as claimed by Renault. Rust is also seen on all 4 wheels.. The showroom guy did a free underbody coating after I complained... But my concern now is regarding the transmission noise. I still dont regret buying AWD... but its definitely a bother !
Old 7th January 2015, 20:57   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few photos with the new alloys, 235 /60/R 16 Maxxis AT tyres and few cosmetic paint jobs (primarily to take care of the rusting issue in wheels) including the front grill
The new alloys and tires look very good. What make are the alloys of? Could you also please share the price of both the alloys and tires. The black grill looks much better than the stock chrome.
Regards,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 7th January 2015 at 20:59.
Old 8th January 2015, 20:10   #246

I bought the alloys from Wheel Stoppers in Lajpatnagar, Delhi @ Rs 24000 for a set of 4. I don't recall the brand but it's definitely not one of the famous ones. I was looking for a set of black alloys and this shop has a good stock. The tyres were also bought from this shop for an exchange price of Rs 2800 / tyre in return for the stock MRF Wanderers. This is a good shop with competitive pricing, good attitude and customer friendliness. They charged me Rs 900 for the wheel paints and RS. 2400 for the grill and number plate cover. I thought the black looks better than chrome and thanks for reaffirming though someone who saw the car thought I bought a lower trim just because it has less chrome.
Old 13th January 2015, 19:05   #247

Is there an official statement from Renault India on why there are so many rust issues reported. Is it a quality control issue at India plant ? I was looking at forums in UK where they are facing the same issue. I understand after customer complaints Renault, UK quickly stopped imports from India and moved to production from Romanian plant.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:49   #248
Senior - BHPian

The rust issues reported at the UK website(s) are not what folks here have complained. Only the suspensions (front as well, not just rear) has rust issues. Brand new cars too have this - apparently Renault didnt coat these, else it could have been avoided.

Knowledgeable folks have confirmed that this is not impacting the strength & we shouldnt be worried. However, there is no official word from Renault India as to what the "fix" here would be. Till then, drive safe and enjoy the drives!
Old 16th January 2015, 17:48   #249
BHPian

After the last time I wrote to the dealer regarding the rust issues, I received an email from them that stated it was normal (mail attached in earlier post). However, I was not satisfied with that and decided to write to Renault India directly. Yesterday, I forwarded the mail that I had sent to the dealer and got a response from Renault almost immediately. They wanted my number to talk to me personally.

Today, I received a call from them. The girl on the line had this to say -
" Sir the parts that you are referring to in your email are made of cast iron. There is no rust on them but that is the normal appearance of the part. As the dealer informed you, it is normal and not a problem. And no coating of any kind can be done on the part."

Naturally, I was not satisfied with the response, so I asked her to email the same response to me so that I would have it on record. However, she refused to do this and told me that the call was recorded anyway. On telling here that I would prefer an email, she said that she would have to talk to her senior and get back to me. A little while later, I get a call from a gentleman who gives me the same response and says that they are not authorised to send such emails and I should contact the dealer for a response since they have cleared my car and will be in a better position to comment.

This kind of takes me back to square one. Does this warrant further action or should we just shut up and sit back and forget about the matter ?
KMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 10:53   #250
BHPian

Weird behaviour from Renault! On one hand, they generalise the issue by saying all cars are on similar lines since they are cast iron parts and on the other hand they do not want to give it in writing for your specific car.

How about copying a few magazines and media outlet contacts in an email addressed to Renault. I think we should question them and see what sort of response we will get to that email as there would be other people involved too.
Old 24th January 2015, 16:52   #251
BHPian

I agree. The response makes me a little suspicious of the situation. However, IMO, the only way we can get a satisfactory response from the company would be if all the car owners who have this issue act collectively. Renault can ignore me making a hue and cry about the rust, but if they have to contend with a group of people who are facing the same issue and are not happy about it, they will have to do something about it, at least come up with a half decent response.

I'm willing to do this. In case anyone else thinks it is a good idea to approach this issue together, I'm all ears ! Hit me up.
Old 27th January 2015, 03:21   #252
BHPian

I did test drive the duster 4*4 these are my review points

Pros
A cost effective suv with reasonable quality
Great ride. Take bad roads with breeze.
Considering that roads in india will remain poor duster with its brilliant suspension will make you very satisfied as a customer
The 4*4 has great safety features which includes esp is simply great

You are making a compromise
It's like treating a potential country like india with giving cheaper products on the condition that indian cannot afford more than this quality.
Gear shift is tight clutch is hard it's tight to change gears.
hishamkabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 11:18   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post

On telling here that I would prefer an email, she said that she would have to talk to her senior and get back to me. A little while later, I get a call from a gentleman who gives me the same response and says that they are not authorised to send such emails and I should contact the dealer for a response since they have cleared my car and will be in a better position to comment.

This kind of takes me back to square one. Does this warrant further action or should we just shut up and sit back and forget about the matter ?
Of course it does. Write to autocarindia magazine, send them the photos of the part as well and they will take it up with Renault.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:48   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Of course it does. Write to autocarindia magazine, send them the photos of the part as well and they will take it up with Renault.
Thanks for the tip. Quick question. You think I should mark Renault or the dealer on this mail or simply send it only to Autocar and let them deal with Renault ? A few members had earlier suggested sending a mail to various magazines and marking Renault. So I was wondering.

Also, does anyone else want to get in on this ? It's worth a shot.

On a related note, they have received the shock absorber at the service center. Ill be dropping off the car in the next day or two for them to change it.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:07   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say send it to autocarindia, no point in copying Renault or the dealer as they have not been acknowledging the problem and hence you are approaching the magazine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks