Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 12:53   #256
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

I plan to book an AWD in the coming weeks, the colour would most probably be woodland brown.

How do i ensure that i get a rust free vehicle ? As the colour would not help while physical inspection at the yard and i'll not be allowed to tamper much with a new vehicle to inspect for rust. Also what if the rust pops up after a couple of months, even though the vehicle may come off clean in the PDI.

Also does any one have clues on the face lift being launched any time soon. The sales rep tells me that the face lift is expected soon but would be available only on the regular 2WD versions and not the AWD's.
Old 5th February 2015, 00:00   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
I plan to book an AWD in the coming weeks, the colour would most probably be woodland brown.

How do i ensure that i get a rust free vehicle ? As the colour would not help while physical inspection at the yard and i'll not be allowed to tamper much with a new vehicle to inspect for rust. Also what if the rust pops up after a couple of months, even though the vehicle may come off clean in the PDI.

Also does any one have clues on the face lift being launched any time soon. The sales rep tells me that the face lift is expected soon but would be available only on the regular 2WD versions and not the AWD's.
I dont think this "rust" issue is specific to any particular car. AFAIK, they have not changed the material used - so every single AWD is going to be impacted.

Do you really need AWD OR are you buying it mostly for the safely kit? I think the newer 2015 110 RXZ gets all the safety kit. I probably would have gone for this incase it were available. If this non-AWD does not have all wheel independent suspension, then you may not be exposed to the rust issue at all.

That apart, there is absolutely no issue with the car. Offcourse, looking at other 15+ lakh cars, you will definitely have the feeling of having over paid but it will grow on you

I bought amazon green only because its closest to the Willy's WW2 jeep color. And this color is exclusive to AWD (& was to Adventure edition also).

Last edited by Equus : 5th February 2015 at 00:01.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 10:50   #258
BHPian

Quote:

How do i ensure that i get a rust free vehicle ? .
if you are still open for a re-look of options, I strongly suggest you test drive the New Scorpio. Its a good competition and fits-in at the right price point. I believe the rust issue is not a serious issue. Having said this, if you have mind block, then you should avoid AWD.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:48   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I dont think this "rust" issue is specific to any particular car. AFAIK, they have not changed the material used - so every single AWD is going to be impacted.

Do you really need AWD OR are you buying it mostly for the safely kit? I think the newer 2015 110 RXZ gets all the safety kit. I probably would have gone for this incase it were available. If this non-AWD does not have all wheel independent suspension, then you may not be exposed to the rust issue at all.

That apart, there is absolutely no issue with the car. Offcourse, looking at other 15+ lakh cars, you will definitely have the feeling of having over paid but it will grow on you

I bought amazon green only because its closest to the Willy's WW2 jeep color. And this color is exclusive to AWD (& was to Adventure edition also).
Well yes i am definitely looking for an AWD and not a 2WD, for my cross country trips which take me to the interiors with poor or no roads. Not really looking for a proper 4WD as I have no plans of hardcore offroading. But yes for 15+ lakhs it's a little difficult to digest and then add to it rusting issues. Minor niggles here and there are acceptable but not a brand new rotting vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
if you are still open for a re-look of options, I strongly suggest you test drive the New Scorpio. Its a good competition and fits-in at the right price point. I believe the rust issue is not a serious issue. Having said this, if you have mind block, then you should avoid AWD.
I did just THAT, test drove the Duster 2WD, New Scorpio 2WD and XUV500 2WD back to back and ended up with a solid confusion. Took Duster and Scorpio on a strip of no road, Scorpio impressed me big time more space, great view and it just dismisses the bad roads only to be let down by jazzy but poor interiors. I was not really impressed with Dusters performance over the same section probably I had too much expectations after reading all the reviews.

Then finally drove the XUV500, I found it best of the lot worth the money one pays for in all aspects plus you get an AWD option as well.

Duster let me down on the space front. I drive an i20 Crdi and it has lot of space given it's just a hatch.

So the plan is on hold, i am in a dilemma now on whether to splurge 15 lakhs on Duster AWD or save enough to buy a XUV 500 AWD at 18 lakhs.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:50   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Another 4x4 Duster Joins the Team-Bhp family.

Quote:
All 4x4 seems to have this problem and it is for cast aluminum parts specific to the 4x4 suspension and drive-line.

Quote:
It is barebones when it comes interior kit and safety, but there is no other AWD Softroader in this price bracket that gives you this combination of amazing handling and suspension and has Skid Regulatoin, ESP, etc, etc..

Quote:
if you are still open for a re-look of options, I strongly suggest you test drive the New Scorpio. Its a good competition and fits-in at the right price point.
The s4 with safety features is definitely a strong contender for for the Duster AWD. Much more car for less money, but ofcourse Duster blows the scorpio away when it comes to handling and comfort.

Quote:
I believe the rust issue is not a serious issue. Having said this, if you have mind block, then you should avoid AWD.
I agree, I did a detail inspection of the components after taking of the wheels and the rust is superficial. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this will not become a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-duster4x4.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20150201wa0003.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20150201wa0004.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img20150201wa0002.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 23:43   #261
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Somitra
I think the rust issue for knuckle in dusters(2wd&4wd) is getting too much hype.please see the attached pics of brand new elite i-20 & 4yrs old figo which shows the steering knuckle is made of cast iron.CI do have that rusty looks but that doesn't mean it's weak.Regarding face lift, what i read in autocar(confidential news section)it'l be early 2016.I think renault may be concentrating on lodgy and new small car for this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-hyundai-elite-i-20.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-ford-figo.jpg  

Esu Junior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 10:53   #262
BHPian

Quote:
So the plan is on hold, i am in a dilemma now on whether to splurge 15 lakhs on Duster AWD or save enough to buy a XUV 500 AWD at 18 lakhs.
Dilemma? that's a good news! Scorpio S4+ would be a great choice here. You get an AWD at a reasonably good price point. You should be definitely trying this!
Old 6th February 2015, 21:38   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
Hi Somitra
I think the rust issue for knuckle in dusters(2wd&4wd) is getting too much hype.please see the attached pics of brand new elite i-20 & 4yrs old figo which shows the steering knuckle is made of cast iron.CI do have that rusty looks but that doesn't mean it's weak.Regarding face lift, what i read in autocar(confidential news section)it'l be early 2016.I think renault may be concentrating on lodgy and new small car for this year.
Agreed, as far as the cast iron parts are concerned rust in not a serious issue. But rusting on the doors, steering column, bonnet, screws etc is a serious issue for me at least on a new vehicle.

Quote:
Dilemma? that's a good news! Scorpio S4+ would be a great choice here. You get an AWD at a reasonably good price point. You should be definitely trying this!
I guess so . IMO Scorpio is indeed a good vehicle let down by poor interiors, but it has a proper 4WD system with a low ratio which Duster / XUV 500 don't have.
Old 9th February 2015, 21:39   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, as far as the cast iron parts are concerned rust in not a serious issue. But rusting on the doors, steering column, bonnet, screws etc is a serious issue for me at least on a new vehicle.

I guess so . IMO Scorpio is indeed a good vehicle let down by poor interiors, but it has a proper 4WD system with a low ratio which Duster / XUV 500 don't have.
Do we have rust issues on non-cast iron parts in the Indian Dusters? I am not aware of them

As regards to Scorpio, its a darling no doubt! An old favourite but I didnt go for it due to the bounciness. The ride quality of duster (especially AWD) blew me away. Also, do google for reports on Duster (UK/EU) and even the NCAP results. Note that the model didnt have ESP but if you are going for AWD, then it comes with ASP. So that means it should be 4*. Duster is a very formidable proposition! Offcourse, do take the test drive and pick your fav!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:24   #265
BHPian

One more AWD on the forum. My one and a half month old RXZ.

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150201_1743171.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150201_1743021.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150201_1743291.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150201_1743451.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-20150201_174503.jpg
human_wheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:33   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by human_wheels View Post
One more AWD on the forum. My one and a half month old RXZ.
Have you added additional body kit from the Adventure on to your AWD? And if so, how much did they charge you?
Old 11th February 2015, 15:48   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
how much did they charge you?
Yes that is an add on. The cost of the kit is 32k. I had 5k worth accessories to choose from. So I paid 32-5=27k for it.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:02   #268
BHPian

Had been to the Renault and Nissan showrooms with a friend yesterday. He was keen on getting a Scala or Sunny and I had a wonderfully loonngg time checking out the Duster and the Terrano.

After spending a lot of time on the front seats and dreaming about buying a Duster I moved on to the rear left seat. I noticed that the seat sloped down and out towards the door from the centre. I initially thought it was a one off problem on the display car but I found it on the other side and on the all new AWD as well. Long trips on the rear seat are definitely going to be uncomfortable and may cause back problems with the unevenness.

The Terrano on display did not have this problem and the rear seat felt a lot more comfortable.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:04   #269
BHPian

Adventure Cladding at the Dealership

Be warned, dealerships will install cladding after the fact but this could be as sloppy a job as on mine in Banjara Hills in Hyderabad - see pictures. Is there any Renault Oversight on their own reputation re: sloppy work at dealers? I would have done a far better job in my own garage at home than what was done for my Duster.
1.The overlaps should have been trimmed
2. Screws not used in the rear cladding, some sort of inferior glue used instead
3. Overall sloppy fit

Jay
Old 14th February 2015, 23:03   #270
BHPian

Can someone point me to a source for mounting hardware for the fender flares? The rear ines have a square hole into which some sort of clip or retainer shoukd go, to grip the edge if the fender, but these are more ssing from the dealer install, giving rise to a flimsy fit and finish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks