Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 21:15   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The 6 Speed Autobox is sourced from a company called DSI based in Australia which went into bankruptcy and subsequently got acquired by Geely automotive of China (The same chaps who own Volvo).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drivet..._International

Mahindra has switched to the transmission maker ASIN for the next generation of Autoboxes for the XUV and subsequently Scorpio also.

I think in the long run, spares and resale for this model will take a hit, so unless you are in a tearing hurry, I think it is better to wait.

Some people on this forum were fooled by the dealer and they think that the automatic box in Scorpio is sourced from Bosch. Bosch doesn't not make transmissions and has never been a vendor/supplier of transmissions.
Thanks 4x4 Addict! Advice well taken... will do just that, wait!. In the meantime the Xylo is expected with MHawk+AMT....any news of Bolero(not the 3 Cyl TUV300) with AMT?
Old 10th August 2015, 11:06   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Miyer what type and brand of oil did you use? Engine, gearbox and differential oil? What was the expense per service?
I used the standard OEM Mahindra (Valvoline Synthetic) Oil from the company workshop.

The 10K service bills were around 4K including all the Oils.
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 11:29   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
I used the standard OEM Mahindra (Valvoline Synthetic) Oil from the company workshop. The 10K service bills were around 4K including all the Oils.
If the service bill was around 4k, I doubt the engine oil would be a synthetic. In all probability it would be a 15W40 mineral oil as specified in the owner's manual.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th August 2015, 11:33   #409
Senior - BHPian

Moreover it would actually be important to use mineral oil in the first 10 to 20 k kms. The service amount reflects that.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:53   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If the service bill was around 4k, I doubt the engine oil would be a synthetic. In all probability it would be a 15W40 mineral oil as specified in the owner's manual.

Cheers,
Vikram
Just to clear the questions on the oil and 10K bills I have attached some more pictures. I specifically asked for grades and blend details and couldn't find any details. I agree that this could be some sort of a blend and specifications are not there in the can as well. However the bill does say- "SYNTEC" perhaps short form of Synthetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-oilback.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-oilfront.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-bill.jpg  

Last edited by Miyer : 10th August 2015 at 12:57. Reason: Added content
Old 10th August 2015, 13:57   #411
Senior - BHPian

That's definitely not synthetic. Maybe a slight blend so that they can use the synthetic moniker. What is the oil change interval stated in the manual?

What you did was the perfect way to run in an engine. I have found metallic particles even in high end jap bikes known for their close tolerances. This is the way it should be.
And going by the costs incurred it's nothing compared to the peace of mind and miles you would enjoy in your truck.
All the best!!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:14   #412
BANNED

The Blue Streak has just completed 6 months, and as if, right on cue, it has 4800kms behind it already. Went in for the first service. Some take aways;

1. The service centres are no VW. Thanks to Mumbai rains, it was messy and frankly looked unattended. However, the car was returned spic n span ( role reversal with VW, since they do a shoddy job in cleaning the car). I would prefer a cleaner car than a clean service centre any day.

2. Separate lounge area for XUV and Scorpio. Felt good, but didn't serve any purpose. I was in early, so both the lounges felt ok.

3. Service cost of 2700 was a far cry from what I pay at VW. However, not much of a difference. Another example for when I suggest to others, that VW servicing is not expensive, just the parts are.

4. I have been getting a grinding feeling/ noise intermittently when using the clutch. Was told that there has been some sort of recall for the Scorpio, wherein they are using a gel around the bushes (sorry! I am extremely technically challenged to understand otherwise).

Unfortunately the feeling still persists. Does anyone else face a similar problem here?

I was told that the clutch is hydraulic and needs a different way of driving. There have been cases where drivers burnt out their clutches under 1000kms 😳
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:51   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
The Blue Streak has just completed 6 months, and as if, right on cue, it has 4800kms behind it already. Went in for the first service. Some take aways;
6 Months, 2800kms, 1st service done!!! Would it be possible for you to start an ownership review thread?
Shashidl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 19:28   #414
BANNED

Quote:
I was told that the clutch is hydraulic and needs a different way of driving. There have been cases where drivers burnt out their clutches under 1000kms 😳
Most clutches are hydraulic.

The stories the grease monkeys at the ASCs give you..!!

Nevertheless, the Scorpio is supposed to have a pretty light clutch and ideally it should be lighter than the Polo/Vento which have springy clutches. Why dont you drive another Scorpio and compare notes?

Clutches if correctly used, should last at least 100k kms easily. Dont worry on that front.
Old 11th August 2015, 20:10   #415
BHPian

Quote:

1. The service centres are no VW. Thanks to Mumbai rains, it was messy and frankly looked unattended. However, the car was returned spic n span ( role reversal with VW, since they do a shoddy job in cleaning the car). I would prefer a cleaner car than a clean service centre any day.

2. Separate lounge area for XUV and Scorpio. Felt good, but didn't serve any purpose. I was in early, so both the lounges felt ok.

3. Service cost of 2700 was a far cry from what I pay at VW. However, not much of a difference. Another example for when I suggest to others, that VW servicing is not expensive, just the parts are.

4. I have been getting a grinding feeling/ noise intermittently when using the clutch. Was told that there has been some sort of recall for the Scorpio, wherein they are using a gel around the bushes (sorry! I am extremely technically challenged to understand otherwise).

Unfortunately the feeling still persists. Does anyone else face a similar problem here?

As far as point no.4 IMO looking from a strictly engineering / technical point of view a bush is normally a softer metal which rotates around the shaft and will wear down first before damaging the expensive shaft which means bushes themselves are relatively cheaper and if worn out ( very possibly ) in 4.5k kms must be replaced and no gel around it can prevent a shaft from a damaged / worn out bush
Old 11th August 2015, 21:09   #416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post
6 Months, 2800kms, 1st service done!!! Would it be possible for you to start an ownership review thread?

I wish I could be as articulate as some of us, but I will definitely post a personal travail through my ownership of the car. It really deserves one, and I have a variant that many have not opted - the S4+ (was the first one booked in January at the dealership)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Nevertheless, the Scorpio is supposed to have a pretty light clutch and ideally it should be lighter than the Polo/Vento which have springy clutches. Why dont you drive another Scorpio and compare notes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
As far as point no.4 IMO looking from a strictly engineering / technical point of view a bush is normally a softer metal which rotates around the shaft and will wear down first before damaging the expensive shaft which means bushes themselves are relatively cheaper and if worn out ( very possibly ) in 4.5k kms must be replaced and no gel around it can prevent a shaft from a damaged / worn out bush

I agree to both of you. In fact just out of memory, I know the clutch wasn't grinding any time in the past, guess I will have the shop open it up and give it a thorough checking. Unfortunately the weekends look like a jostling market place at these service centres.

But thanks for the inputs guys, I will provide an update next week when I get it checked. But just wanted to let the forum know that there's an official memo from Mahindra to apply that gel. FYI.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 21:56   #417
BHPian

I agree there is a peculiar clutch problem and may not be a fatal one. What I have noticed from my 1st year anniversary coming in Oct'15 and 11K KM on the S10 variant is as follows.
  1. If the engine bay is washed with a hose or pressure washer the clutch behaves strangely and begins to shudder till it drives a bit and dries out. I believe there is some opening in the clutch bell that is allowing moisture or water to seep in.
  2. There is the omnipresent clack,clak noise from the left side of the car and reduces once the clutch is depressed. I dont see this as a problem as I know that it is the releaser bearing pushing against the clutch fingers and the sound muffled as it rotates under the load. I remember this noise from our old Ambassador with Diesel , Tata Safari and MM 540 & 550 DP.
  3. Clutch itself is very light and works fine.
  4. My concern is more around the brake department. It does not inspire confidence to go some speed.

The NHV (road noise from horns and traffic) could have been further reduced if the air vents in the C pillars could have been designed in a different way or with a flap valve mechanism as in VW or other high end cars to let air in-out when closing and opening doors. I feel outside air and noise seeps into the cabin from here and is not good.

But I am very happy with the milage.
Old 11th August 2015, 22:18   #418
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could be as articulate as some of us, but I will definitely post a personal travail through my ownership of the car. It really deserves one, and I have a variant that many have not opted - the S4+ (was the first one booked in January at the dealership)
That's really good to know methecupid, an ownership report is eagerly awaited more so because of the not so common S4+. You also have the unique distinction of being the first to book. Cool stuff.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Fixed Quotes
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 13:42   #419
BHPian

I have been searching for a review of the new automatic scorpio. Even though the transmission is same i would really like to know how it behaves. Can anyone help. Have been considering to buy one.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:58   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
• 4x4 available on S4 variant too.
Many thanks to you and GTO for writing this impeccable review. This actually provided me key information for my buying decision for an S10 4WD recently.

Please can you (or any of the other experts) elaborate on the kind of differentials that were there in the 2014 4WD scorpio, and in the 2015 scorpio?

I have not been able to get a straight answer from any thread so far. My understanding of the possible choices :
a) LSD front, Open rear
b) LSD rear, Open front
c) LSD front, LSD rear
d) Open front, Open rear.

The new Mahindra Scorpio sales brochure, is not at all detailed about this.

I think I can safely ignore bothering my Mahindra dealer (Koncept) with this question. They appear to be more knowledgeable about margin protection, than the SUV they are selling me.

Ever since BD sir moved to Tata, and Priteesh ji moved to Germany, I don't think the forum has anyone from present Mahindra R&D team, to answer this question.

The only other information channel is to somehow get a contact in the R&D team and ask them ... but that's an uphill task!

Hence as a last resort, my question on this thread here.

Best Regards
Joy

Last edited by joybhowmik : 19th August 2015 at 11:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks