Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2016, 17:10   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Quote:
The CLA fits her criteria because it gives loads of style, great luxury and contemporary fee
I won't disagree either, all the best for your new acquisition.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 00:50   #137
BHPian

Hi Sahil: I finally see that you've or rather your sis have settled for the CLA. Many Congratulations ! I test-drove the CLA yesterday, and the interiors just amazed me as opposed to the Audi A3. I also just came to know from your post that the CLA has run-flats: hope this won't now 'break the deal'.

I've not yet driven the new X1- what's the reason you didn't go with this? Thought it had all the necessary ingredients for an optimal purchase - new kid on the block, spare tire with space, and stellar looks(as opposed to it's predecessor), and power.
jacobvarughese is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 11:50   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
I also just came to know from your post that the CLA has run-flats: hope this won't now 'break the deal'.

I've not yet driven the new X1- what's the reason you didn't go with this?
Firstly, run flat tyres have never been a deal breaker for me. As mentioned earlier, I always swap them for regular tubeless on delivery itself and this does not cost me a dime. However, run flats have come a long way and I might retain them this time around to give my sister the little extra added safety if she ever gets stuck due to a puncture.
I think the run flats being significantly worse than tubeless is no longer true. The comfort levels are marginally different.

Secondly, the CLA was was a decision from the heart, that too by a girl so that should answer your reason why the more practical X1 was not bought even after a test drive
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 12:55   #139
BHPian

I remember struggling between the cla and the c about a year ago - both were within budget - and the wife preferred the cla vs me the C. While the C won finally, i still admire the cla whenever I see it on the streets. Eye catcher.
shethsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:14   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Found a good article that explains the difference and reason behind MB MOE tyres and traditional run flats : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=234

Kudos to MB for re-engineering the wheel (quite literally) to stay true to their core value proposition of comfort.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:46   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the CLA 200 Petrol Sport in grey colour delivered 10 days ago. Below are my likes and dislikes:

The Good

- Styling is just great, was one of the prime reasons this car was bought and as much as I preferred the 3 series as a more practical option. I have to admit it does look special. Not many cars below the 50 lakh price range spark that emotion. Another reason for this is that the CLA isn't the most practical option hence we don't see as many on our road, which makes it a tad exclusive.

- The petrol engine packs a good punch. The 2016 model also has a new Dynamic Select button which let you toggle between Eco, Comfort, Sport and also an Individual setting. Power delivery is smooth in all modes.

- The steering just feels incredible to hold. Even though this ain't no sports car the feeling gives you the feeling that you can and should push the car around.

- Interior build quality is top class. You don't find any plastics that are badly fitted or finished. I find the interior quality noticeably superior to the the BMW 3 series and X1 or even the Audi A3 and Q3.

- Extendable thigh support for front seats added in the MY2016 is a boon

- Memory seats for front driver AND Passenger! Even though this isn't that significant a feature for most, I must give this a mention because clearly for Mercedes it is a very generous move since my w222 S350d doesn't have any memory seats for the front passenger or even driver! However the S has memory seats for the rear. I have ranted about this a lot on my S-class ownership thread but I yet can't get over it because it's hard to live without it everyday!

- My dealership experience was much better this time as I did not to buy the car from Autohangar. Instead I bought it from Shaman and dealt directly with the owner who is a great guy. They had the exact color and variant I wanted in stock hence within a week all paper work was done and car was delivered as promised on my sister's birthday at midnight.

- Sunroof is huge and helps make the cabin a whole lot airier. It opens up pretty wide too. My RS5 too has a similar large roof but that only tilts up and does not open hence I am glad I don't have to live with that issue this time.

- Sports seats look great

- Rear camera quality is even better than the S-class and it tucks away when not in use to avoid it getting dirty.

The Not-So-Good

- Several features from the CBU version reviewed here as missing, such as:
No rear AC vents inspite of me getting the higher Sport model, instead there is a storage compartment as shown in the Tbhp review for the lower variant. There is no real ambient lighting in the doors nor is there in the rear seat headrest as shown in the review pic.
There is no digital climate control instead there is a manual one that is easy to use but is not what you expect from a premium sedan.
No front or rear parking sensors, pretty ridiculous.
There is no harmon kardon badging on speakers as seen in the review pics, good chance that they have omitted this too
Mercedes always manages to do most things right but cuts corner in the most illogical ways.

- The engine clatter at idle from the outside sounds like a diesel ! My driver who picked the car from the dealership was surprised when I told him it's a petrol. On the inside it is silent and sounds like a petrol when pushed but the clattered on the outside is unexpected from a petrol engine by MB.Also, there is a hint of a lag when you press the throttle from standstill.

- There is no leather, instead there is a good quality faux leather.MBIL has stopped leather on all models except the S. This is a bad move, nothing compares to the feel and smell of pure natural leather. The competition yet gives leather on higher variants.

- Spare wheel eats up most of the boot of the already small boot. The CLA's dimensions are almost at par with the 3 series yet the space on offer is way less on the interior and boot. The exterior too looks much more compact that the 3 due to the coupe styling of the CLA.

- Legroom is decent at the back but head room is terrible. 6 feet tall people will have their heads sunk in the roof. The black roof lining doesn't help either as it makes it feel more claustrophobic however opening the sunroof blind helps improve that greatly. They ought to have kept the headliner beige or light grey.

- The rear door is very small hence getting in and out of the car is not so comfortable for slightly bigger people.

- The navigation pre wiring is done but they expect you to pay 45k to get an SD card for the maps from the dealer. This sounds way too much for what it's worth. Can one buy garmin maps SD card directly and use it? Here is one option I found: http://www.amazon.in/Garmin-City-Nav...ywords=sd+maps

What's next:

- 3M has a new PPF Pro film releasing shortly, am waiting for it to arrive and have it fitted on both bumpers, mirrors and side skirts.

- 3M CR70 all around and maybe CR90 for sides if it is available.

- DC font rear number plate and front sticker.

Will post more pics soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sahil : 22nd August 2016 at 14:03.
Sahil is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:11   #142
BHPian

I was just talking to my borthe-in-law, a fellow petrolhead, and I told him that the only two cars in India that I lust after are the 530d M-sport (thanks, GTO, for ruining my life!!) and the CLA, with the 328i a distant 3rd.
I LOVE the CLA, but I've always loved small, sporty sedans. I find myself checking online classifieds for them every now and then, despite the fact that I'm not in the market for a new car for at least a couple of years.

Shame about the diesel - 134bhp simply doesn't cut it, especially when it's main rivals put out much more power. The styling makes up for a LOT, but it doesn't make up for being about 50 horses shy of what it needs to be.

God-d*mn, it's a looker though. Sigh.

Last edited by ghostrider : 22nd August 2016 at 14:22.
ghostrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:42   #143
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sahil, it's a nice car but you should now make space for the new E Class I checked this here in Canada yesterday and believe me it's interiors beat the S Class, they have built such an amazing car. Didn't drove due to paucity of time but I am sure there will be no reasons to complain.
Quote:
The engine clatter at idle from the outside sounds like a diesel !
I think it's with most of 4 cylinder ones including BMW but only outside that too when you are close to car, there should be no sound or vibrations inside.

Quote:
The navigation pre wiring is done but they expect you to pay 45k to get an SD card for the maps from the dealer.
If you decode your VIN there are chances that 2016 MY have inbuilt Car play as standard and there might be some way to activate this.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:47   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I LOVE the CLA, but I've always loved small, sporty sedans. I find myself checking online classifieds for them every now and then, despite the fact that I'm not in the market for a new car for at least a couple of years.

Shame about the diesel - 134bhp simply doesn't cut it, especially when it's main rivals put out much more power. The styling makes up for a LOT, but it doesn't make up for being about 50 horses shy of what it needs to be.

God-d*mn, it's a looker though. Sigh.
It’s a looker, but not really small by Indian standards. That said, it’s so easy and relaxing to drive; much more than some of the small sedans and hatchbacks out there. Why not the petrol? I test drove the petrol variant, and the civilized power delivery is just brilliant.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:42   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Styling is just great, was one of the prime reasons this car was bought and as much as I preferred the 3 series as a more practical option. I have to admit it does look special. Not many cars below the 50 lakh price range spark that emotion.
Congrats Sahil! I knew your sister will love the CLA. It's the perfect 'rich girl' city car. Incredibly stylish, nice interiors, easy to drive, compact footprint.

Mercedes has really got the styling right now, haven't they? All of their cars (with the exception of the ugly GLA) look fabulous.

Quote:
Interior build quality is top class
Agreed. It's small, yet it feels like a proper Mercedes.

Quote:
They had the exact color and variant I wanted
Your choice of colour? I think your sister would've loved red.

Quote:
The navigation pre wiring is done but they expect you to pay 45k to get an SD card for the maps from the dealer
I prefer using the Google Maps on my smartphone even if the car I'm driving has navigation.

Quote:
DC font rear number plate and front sticker
Will really suit the car .

Congrats & wish your sister thousands of happy km with the sexy CLA.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:16   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the CLA 200 Petrol Sport in grey colour delivered 10 days ago.
Congrats man! I am sure your sister must have loved it! Have to agree to all the points you mentioned, Must say choosing the CLA has to be a complete decision made by the heart, It sure does look stunner, I have a sweet spot for the petrol version specially which sure does is packing a good punch, Unlike the diesel, Just so confused while deciding an upgrade from the Jetta, And a petrol CLA in red color really doesn't let you drop this car out of the list, A small question, Any particular reason you did not opt for the Red colour ?
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:19   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Got the CLA 200 Petrol Sport in grey colour delivered 10 days ago. Below are my likes and dislikes:

Will post more pics soon.
Sahil:

Many Congratulations on your acquisition ! As stated earlier, I am contemplating the CLA 200d Style (that's only how much my budget could stretch).
Couple of queries, and request your answers please, if possible:
a. Do you know if the navigation updates are free should we choose to buy theirs? One dealer says it's free whilst the other one says 15k INR need to be paid for every update- the brochure says the updates are free upto 3 years for CLA AMG.
b. Did you opt for the recently launched Compact or Compact Plus service packages? Apparently, a new buyer could choose for 10 years or 100,000 kms now which is stupendous
c. How would you rate the music system on a scale of 1 to 5? I personally didn't feel it to be all that great, and this is just my point of view.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd August 2016 at 22:32. Reason: shortening the quoted post for mobile users.
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:42   #148
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Couple of queries, and request your answers please, if possible:
a. Do you know if the navigation updates are free should we choose to buy theirs? One dealer says it's free whilst the other one says 15k INR need to be paid for every update- the brochure says the updates are free upto 3 years for CLA AMG.
b. Did you opt for the recently launched Compact or Compact Plus service packages? Apparently, a new buyer could choose for 10 years or 100,000 kms now which is stupendous
c. How would you rate the music system on a scale of 1 to 5? I personally didn't feel it to be all that great, and this is just my point of view.

Thanks in advance.
A) Don't bother paying for the navigation, even if they are ready to give it to you for lesser amount. I have the navigation in my CLA and it's never been used. I have never been able to use that, it's not at all user friendly. Best option is to just switch on google maps on your mobile or get a GPS device like garmin/mapmyindia etc.

B) No idea about the new service packages, but I've taken the one complete service package including consumables for 3 years/60k kms. Totally worth it if you'll be driving you car daily and covering good miles.

C) Also, the music system isn't as good as the competition and if you want 1-5 rating then I'll give it a TWO.

VSD
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:53   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the CLA 200 Petrol Sport in grey colour delivered 10 days ago.
Congratulations Sahil! That is another awesome addition to your family garage. Glad you chose petrol with CLA, this engine is a clear winner over that measly inadequate diesel. Good pick!
Old 25th August 2016, 18:13   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3M has a new PPF Pro film releasing shortly, am waiting for it to arrive and have it fitted on both bumpers, mirrors and side skirts.
this looks interesting, any update on this and can you share approximate costs, I might go on for the wrap on X5 - Carbon black - it's getting too difficult to maintain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks