Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2016, 12:44   #166
BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

The CLA would be going in for its first servicing and I've been getting calls to go for their services packages. Do you guys think it's worth the money? My running is extremely low - did less than 5k for the year.

Also, during servicing, would they carry out routine servicing as per their manual or considering my low mileage, tweak it. Might save some money with the second option i guess!
Old 11th November 2016, 14:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
The CLA would be going in for its first servicing and I've been getting calls to go for their services packages. Do you guys think it's worth the money? My running is extremely low - did less than 5k for the year.

Also, during servicing, would they carry out routine servicing as per their manual or considering my low mileage, tweak it. Might save some money with the second option i guess!
No need for the service pack. My C200 also has the same kind of running. Been over 2 years and the car is at 130xx km as of today morning. I have spent a total of around INR 62k on both my services.

The service pack back in 2014 for the C200 was costing around INR 1.65lacs for 4 years/60k Km. I think the CLA service should be in the same price range.

And i note that you are in Noida- send the car to silver arrows only- the guys are good and keep you updated with what they are doing. Considering your car hasn't run much- they may tweak some aspects of service- in my case the air filter was changed at the second service and not first (just an example).

Cheers and all the best for the service
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 16:04   #168
BHPian

Just bumping up an old thread to see how fellow CLA owners are faring.

I've recently done 10,000km in 1.5years of ownership and mostly its been a smooth sexy ride. A couple of instances:

a) Got a tyre burst mid-way to Agra on the expressway and had to use the spare skinny tyre for the remainder 150kms (100km is the recommended range of the spare?!). Got it towed back free for the return journey

b) Got a scare at the 3M workshop, who told me that the bumper had scratched off during polishing and it might've been because of a repaint job by the dealer. Got it checked by the dealership and they gave it to me in writing that it wasn't the case. Don't know what should I make of the whole ordeal - someone's lying for sure! Anywhow, lost some sleep during the time, that's all.

Also, just wondering if anyone here have found a way to install Apple Carplay or Android Auto on the existing Audio 20 system? Plus, any success with the navigation SD card workaround?

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2017, 16:42   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone had issues with the battery? The car refused to start, got it Jump started and it came on and I drove it for sometime. Switched it off and yet again it doesn’t start.

My car is barely a year old, seem to early for battery going kaput

Last edited by Sahil : 8th October 2017 at 16:43.
Old 8th October 2017, 17:11   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My car is barely a year old, seem to early for battery going kaput
I think it will be replaced under warranty, I vaguely remember MB covers batteries for 3 years.

Battery can fail prematurely if the car is driven only for short distances, doesn't see regular usage or parked for extended period of time.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 17:24   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think it will be replaced under warranty, I vaguely remember MB covers batteries for 3 years.

Battery can fail prematurely if the car is driven only for short distances, doesn't see regular usage or parked for extended period of time.
Does MB make its own battery or used exide or some other branded one? Would be easier to get the battery shop to replace under their warranty rather than MB that will as usual take a few days to do a simple replacement of this sort.

The car is used daily for over 20-30kms on average. Nor has any light been left on by mistake of late. Purely a case of manufacturing defect
Old 8th October 2017, 17:53   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, will show up when they Scan, technically they can refuse warranty. Possible under goodwill warranty if usage has been extremely low.

Quote:
Would be easier to get the battery shop to replace under their warranty rather than MB that will as usual take a few days to do a simple replacement of this sort.
If it's driven regularly then they will replace, I don't think they use Exide. Some special batteries and they do some coding after changing, not worth the hassle to get something from outside given the car is new and under warranty. Best to claim under warranty else whatever they support under goodwill in case they link this with non-usage.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 17:55   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does MB make its own battery or used exide or some other branded one? Would be easier to get the battery shop to replace under their warranty rather than MB that will as usual take a few days to do a simple replacement of this sort.
I don't know about your car, but as with everything else they put an MB label on the battery also so you can't take it up with the battery company. It must be an AGM battery which are not available in India AFIK. I think MB charges 25-35K for a new battery.

It is hard to tell why the battery died so early. It could be a defective batch of batteries, or they were stored for too long before installing on the car in the factory, or the car was sitting in the inventory for too long, etc.

Battery is a pain with these cars. They use AGM type which are not available in our market and you can never be sure that you got a healthy battery. My 2011 520D is still on original battery but my 2012 S350 is on its 3rd.
Old 13th October 2017, 08:14   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I don't know about your car, but as with everything else they put an MB label on the battery also so you can't take it up with the battery company. It must be an AGM battery which are not available in India AFIK. I think MB charges 25-35K for a new battery.

It is hard to tell why the battery died so early. It could be a defective batch of batteries, or they were stored for too long before installing on the car in the factory.
Battery was replaced under warranty. My hunch is the battery was of some old inventory and turned defective prematurely. The car itself was fresh stock when I bought it last August.

They also replaced the hand brake release switch for some reason, although it was working fine before I sent it.

My SA claims that MB has made its battery system brand proof and if you put a non MB genuine battery in it, the battery won’t last more than 6 months. Is this true?
I have replaced the batteries of my RS5, 5 series etc with regular exide of amaron with equivalent power. Never faced any such issues.

Last edited by Sahil : 13th October 2017 at 08:16.
Old 13th October 2017, 08:33   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Battery was replaced under warranty. My hunch is the battery was of some old inventory and turned defective prematurely. The car itself was fresh stock when I bought it last August.

They also replaced the hand brake release switch for some reason, although it was working fine before I sent it.

My SA claims that MB has made its battery system brand proof and if you put a non MB genuine battery in it, the battery won’t last more than 6 months. Is this true?
I have replaced the batteries of my RS5, 5 series etc with regular exide of amaron with equivalent power. Never faced any such issues.
I think SA meant non-AGM (flooded) batteries will fail prematurely as the car will have AGM type charging profile. You can surely use after market AGM batteries but they are not available in our market.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:30   #176
BHPian

I have been searching team bhp for over a month now for a 200 CGI Sport CLA ownership review and didn't find even one. I have booked one and most probably will be getting delivery in about 7 to 10 days from now. Can I claim it to be the first while writing the review? Or if there is already one, point me to the thread.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:38   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I have been searching team bhp for over a month now for a 200 CGI Sport CLA ownership review and didn't find even one. I have booked one and most probably will be getting delivery in about 7 to 10 days from now. Can I claim it to be the first while writing the review? Or if there is already one, point me to the thread.
Could you please share details on the offer you were able to negotiate?

Any, December offers?
Old 13th December 2017, 17:59   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Could you please share details on the offer you were able to negotiate?

Any, December offers?
I was able to push for some corporate discount as one of my uncles had bought an S exactly a year ago. As a casual enquiry I got a 42k off, and due to the corporate discount another 1.2L off additionally. I said I will put insurance myself and so another 40k saved in that. Totally saved 1.8L.

Took delivery on November 6th but still haven't found the time to put up a full review. I should be able to do it during the last week of December when my gym closes for quarter break, and I will have my mornings free.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 12:01   #179

Mercedes CLA - Tyre Upsize

I own a Mercedes CLA. The car comes with stock Continental SportContact5 tyres 225/45/R17. It has been 2 years since I own the vehicle. I realized that the tyres are not suitable for Indian Roads as the profile is very low. I had tyre bursts on 2 occasions and side bulging on 1 of the tyres. I recently upgraded to 225/50/R17 Yokohama Blue Earth and the change is immediately noticeable. The ride quality has improved tremendously and comfort has gone up by a huge margin. My only question is how much air pressure to maintain on the upsized tyres. The manufacturer recommended pressure on stock tyres is 36 in front tyres and 32 in rear tyres.

Since the overall diameter has increased what tyre pressure should I keep in the upsized tyres.
sahil.propel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 13:07   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA - Tyre Upsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil.propel View Post
The manufacturer recommended pressure on stock tyres is 36 in front tyres and 32 in rear tyres.

Since the overall diameter has increased what tyre pressure should I keep in the upsized tyres.
In general, higher psi is recommended for thinner profiles. Conversely you should be OK with slightly lower psi as you have higher profile tires.

Overall diameter doesn't change a lot with 2-3 psi difference which means it may not be possible to match the OEM dia by adjusting tire pressure. Just accept the fact that your wheel dia is marginally bigger and use the same pressure as the factory reco (36, 32).

Spare tire will be an issue I feel as you will end up with two wheels with different dia when the spare is mounted and that may result in ABS/TPMS warnings but I am not sure. If you ever have to mount a spare, better to mount it on "non-driven" wheels due to rolling dia difference.

Last edited by androdev : 21st October 2018 at 13:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks