Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 20:13   #9511
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Hi BHPians,

I very recently got a used S-Cross 1.3L.

I had a question regarding the idle RPM speed in 1st and 2nd gear without throttle input.
On a flat surface, if we move the car from standstill in 1st gear without any throttle input, what speed does it reach?
If we not slot into the 2nd gear, with similar no throttle input, what speed does it reach?

In my car I am seeing 5kmph in 1st gear, and 10 kmph in 2nd gear. Is this normal or is it low?

I am getting an impression my car isn't pulling well before it reaches 1750 rpm. I don't see the "eagerness" that the 1.3L diesel engine is supposed to exhibit. Please excuse my very basic questions - I am new to this car and to diesel engines,.in general.

Last edited by narenteam : 21st December 2022 at 20:14.
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 14:22   #9512

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
This mostly points to a faulty Oil pressure Switch 2, which is common in S-Cross 1.6. Are you getting a check engine light telltale on the Instrument Cluster? Power loss and Oil leak is the main symptom of the faulty switch.
Nexa service centre in Baner, Pune (Excel) kept the car for a day, found the oil leak to be related to the Oil Pressure Control switch. They didn’t have it in store, and didn’t even know the part number to be ordered from Gurgaon . Being Christmas then, no one reportedly Was available at HO to clarify. So they gave the car back with oil leak temporarily fixed and a promise to call me after placing order for the switch. It’s been 5 days since and I haven’t heard from anyone yet.

Cruise control: they said won’t work until the engine fault light on Instrument panel is on and it’ll remain in till the switch is replaced.

Importantly, on my drive on Pune-Thane-Shahpur highways last 3 days, I’ve found that sometimes the engine struggled to go beyond 1500 rpm and definitely not above 1700 rpm (basically the level at which turbo is supposed to kick in). It was usually in 2nd gear that the problem appeared and then sometimes it would just work by the time I hit 5th gear, after which even the higher gears would work alright. All this while driving without even stopping or idling or using handbrake.

It’s made the car unreliable. And now with parts problem for a bit so popular model of a car thats out of production now I’m seriously considering changing the car. I was very happy with the car and the power drive and wanted to keep it for next few years. Any advice?
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:25   #9513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalabh_sahai View Post
Any advice?
With the S-Cross 1.6, power-train parts will see some wait times, recently Maruti has started importing Timing related components and fellow owners are getting Clutch and flywheel parts also. What can be done is, parts like Oil pressure switch, IC hose (parts known to fail) can be bought and stocked. Since other parts are shared with the 1.3 variant, they should be easily available.
Old 2nd January 2023, 12:02   #9514
BHPian

S-Cross on a 4,500 KMs cross country trip. Did leg-1 from NCR to Mumbai this Friday. As comfortable as ever even with 183k on the odo.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-be282bdfa6e940398e2b08699e7493af.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-c5639376f86e4a1fbdd9842611adb4a3.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-e6fdb11896ff42d2af97b1bc263461aa.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-13094b4419d648a18ae1e33da3c47645.jpeg

Udaipur-Mumbai

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-dc0cf8eaab6841a5b8cacdf9854b0c63.jpeg

Ghaziabad-Udaipur

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-861fa0d6eec14fe7bde46a5886816ad4.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:16   #9515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Hi BHPians,

I very recently got a used S-Cross 1.3L.

I am getting an impression my car isn't pulling well before it reaches 1750 rpm. I don't see the "eagerness" that the 1.3L diesel engine is supposed to exhibit. Please excuse my very basic questions - I am new to this car and to diesel engines,.in general.
Both the 1.3 & 1.6 Diesels suffer from turbo lag, which is why the dull response below 1750rpm as that is around when the turbo kicks in.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:05   #9516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
Engine overhaul at just 1.80 lakh kilometres with this kind of usage is a bit weird. With your car clocking 30-35000 kilometres per year was it serviced every 3-4 months?
What did the engine overhaul entail and what did it cost? If you don't mind sharing.
I'd like to differ. "At just 1.8 lakh kms", 1.8 lakh kms isn't peanuts my man, the engine could need extensive internal cleaning or maybe seal replacements etc.
In my case, I don't really remember what all was done though. Since then, the car is running like clockwork, though there is still some minor seal related issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why was an overhaul needed at only 1.8 lakh KMs? How much did it cost you?
I don't remember all the nitty-grittys because I was a teenager back then but I do remember that the engine was cleaned thoroughly from the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Buddy are you sure, its the DDiS 320 you bought and not the DDiS 200?

Jokes apart, Do you really find the 1.6 DDiS 320 lathergic post 120 KMPH??? because, the 1.6 has brutal top end performance and within no time you would be hitting 150+, though not advisable, it pulls relentlessly.
Just because the car can pull much better than others when it comes to 120 kmph+ speeds does not mean that the engine has great top-end. In diesels, top-end generally ranges from 4000-5000 RPM, and in this range, the 1.6 DDIS 320 feels . The aforementioned graph reveals the significant drop in peak torque from 320 NM, and I don't care if the car has better torque at 3.8K RPM than even a DDIS 200.

My biggest argument on the power-delivery of this engine is that the feeling of sudden kick of torque in the mid-range starts to fade when the peak-torque drops suddenly, on the other hand, a 1.5 TDI with 250 NMs would feel punchier, why, because it holds it's peak torque for much longer, and hence feels more forceful and drivable.

DDIS 320 is obviously a great turbo-diesel engine, with a relatively huge turbo, backed by Fiat's expertise in creating diesel engines. Having said that, whosoever tuned the engine obviously did it this way in order to get high peak torque and not so great peak power just to flash it on the advertisement billboards, and also to have fuel efficiency.

This engine really isn't tuned at it's best, and isn't without it's flaws.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th January 2023 at 15:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 6th January 2023, 10:27   #9517
BHPian

Of late when I cold start my car, there’s a heavy clanging noise. Had reported it during the 40k servicing but the ASS couldn’t reproduce it since this noise happens only during cold start. It’s like a mechanical noise, not the usual diesel clatter. Does anybody know what this could be?

Mine is a 2019 SCross 1.3D
Old 6th January 2023, 15:00   #9518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhankarS View Post
Just because the car can pull much better than others when it comes to 120 kmph+ speeds does not mean that the engine has great top-end.
So what exactly in your opinion makes a great top end that the DDiS 320 is falling short of? Time to accelerate from 120 to 160 or something else?
Old 6th January 2023, 15:31   #9519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
So what exactly in your opinion makes a great top end that the DDiS 320 is falling short of? Time to accelerate from 120 to 160 or something else?
He's basically trying to say that the peaky torque delivery of the 1.6 isn't great as the power comes quickly and then starts to taper off.
Not about timing, but more about the 'push back into the seat' feeling we all experience in the 1750-2500 rpm that starts to taper off as the car picks up speed and rpm crosses 2500.

One of the main reasons so many owners have gotten remaps is for a more linear power delivery - mainly in the city as the car feels dead below 1500rpm but also a little on the top end.
In his case, he would prefer the torque to be held for a longer time in the revv band as opposed to peaking and starting to drop.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 15:48   #9520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
He's basically trying to say that the peaky torque delivery of the 1.6 isn't great as the power comes quickly and then starts to taper off.
Not about timing, but more about the 'push back into the seat' feeling we all experience in the 1750-2500 rpm that starts to taper off as the car picks up speed and rpm crosses 2500.

One of the main reasons so many owners have gotten remaps is for a more linear power delivery - mainly in the city as the car feels dead below 1500rpm but also a little on the top end.
In his case, he would prefer the torque to be held for a longer time in the revv band as opposed to peaking and starting to drop.
Thank you! Then this seems to be a case of misunderstood gearing of the 1.6. It is a well-known and documented fact throughout this forum from many 1.6 owners that the gearing of 1.6 keeps you right in the beginning of the power band as you move up the gears. And that alone is enough to get you absolutely smashing top-end performance. I can say this from personal experience.

As you said, the remap just makes the power delivery linear.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 21:09   #9521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhankarS View Post
I'd like to differ. "At just 1.8 lakh kms", 1.8 lakh kms isn't peanuts my man, the engine could need extensive internal cleaning or maybe seal replacements etc.
In my case, I don't really remember what all was done though. Since then, the car is running like clockwork, though there is still some minor seal related issues.
1.8 lakh kilometres while not peanuts, aren't very high either. For the kind of usage you listed around 3,000 km per month IIRC, engine gets serviced every 3 months. Regular services ensure no extensive cleaning is required as that's the job of engine oil. I see high mileage engines regularly, I personally own a duster done 3 lakh km and till recently owned 2 other cars which had done 2+ lakh km, as long as service is done, no diesel engine requires rebuild as you had suggested. As you don't remember what was done to the engine, no point in furthering this conversation.

Glad to know that your car is in good health still, after repairs.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 12:11   #9522
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I have a 2016 S-Cross

Any recommendations for ready-made seat covers?
Did anyone get a seat cover recently?
Old 12th January 2023, 18:32   #9523
BHPian

Starting last month there were lot of rattling nosie coming from the front end of the car.
The car had run 1.33 lakh kilometers and was last serviced in October.
It was something do with the suspension and since my regular SA at Mandovi-JP Nagar was on leave i looked for alternatives.

A google search suggested Tweak 7 near silk board with good reviews.
They kept the car for 2.5 days and changed most of the front suspension components except the shocks. Bill came to 23.5k.
They were giving regular whatsapp updates with photos. Have driven 200kms after the repairs. And all good so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-suspension_bill.jpg  

kit_dennis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:56   #9524
BHPian

After a long searching streak for months, I was finally able to find one in Great Nick at a good price. The car is bone stock except for one or two things here and there. The owner has really kept her with love.
Driving to home for about 200 KMs, i was able to feel the pull of the engine, very strong.

Thinking to start a thread but here's a sneak peek for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20230113_002343.jpg  

Joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 02:46   #9525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why was an overhaul needed at only 1.8 lakh KMs? How much did it cost you?

I recently asked my dad "What did the overhaul entail?". He told me back in 2020, an incompetent mechanic messed the engine's timing. Hence the engine was troubling and was in need of serious repair. We took the car to CarCare center in Chandigarh, an overhaul was done with setting the correct engine timing and thorough engine internals cleaning. Since then, the engine is running great.

However for like a year now, there's some oil leakage from somewhere. Mechanic told that it's most probably due to a worn out head gasket, so that needs to be replaced also there is some engine back compression that needs to be dealt with as well. Both of which issues are on the minor side, but still will be dealt with in the coming days, since it's service will also be due.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks