Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 14:16   #301
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post
Just curious but what exactly is the reason to change brand new OEM tires? I have only noticed this trend on the rise in my last 2 years in India. Outside majority people rarely change OE speakers let alone tires.
Thanks for your response. I don't care much for the looks or brand. I am no expert but I think that the wider tires would have better grip. My drive is approx. 80% on highways with quite a few twists and turns.

Would wider tires provide more stability and grip at highway speeds especially when negotiating curves/turns? I know that it will yield less FE but my impression is that the wider tires would be safer. Is this true?
Old 15th September 2015, 14:30   #302

There's this website which provides info on prices of creta's genuine accessories
http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...1068&Itemid=10
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screenshot_20150915142223.png  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screenshot_20150915142251.png  

jatin18us is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:40   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
I will be getting my White Creta SX+ AT next week after a long wait (booked 1st week of July). Now I would like to start thinking about add ons and I would like the experts suggestions.
1. Alloys & typres - don't like the stock on SX+. Thinking of upgrading 4 wheels. I liked what BNM had done with his red Creta AT. The only questions now is should I go for 17" or 18". I have seen a few Creta's with 18" alloys on Sai Marg wheels company's facebook page. Just wondering if it is advisable and if so what tyres would I need to get so there are no errors. Considering Momo alloys - any feedback or alternative suggestions?
https://www.facebook.com/AlloyWheelsIndia
2. Mats - What are the best mats to get?
3. Audio - I am not much of an audio buff. How good is the speakers and do you think I need an upgrade?
4. Stickering or painting the top - I also like what BNM had done to the top. Need your suggestion if I should go for 3M stickering or black paint.

Also let me know if there are any good accessories that I should get from Hyundai.
1. IMO limit yourself to 17" not 18". Check HRS H346 on alloy wheels india website. This would have been my choice if i wanted to swap. But yes, design selection is up to individual.

2. OEM mats from Hyundai are nice with Creta branding on it. But better to put on a mat something like which is available in 3M Car Care which they tailor make based on the car requirement. It's easier to clean and drain out the dust out of it. You can consider similar material mats from other vendors if you find it and may be cost effective.

3. You can consider 3M 1080 series glossy black roof wrap which blends well with glossy black A-Piller. I have done the same (See couple of post above) and BNM as well. It costed me 8k in 3M car care. It's better to stick to this over painting and you can remove this whenever you want without affecting the stock paint on roof.
TorqueManR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:52   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody having trouble downloading the phone contacts on to HU? I tried many times but not been able to successfully download the contacts. I use a Redmi Note and is it because I have synced many accounts like Gmail, Official, Mi etc.

Do let me know.
Old 15th September 2015, 15:19   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Thanks for your response. I don't care much for the looks or brand. I am no expert but I think that the wider tires would have better grip. My drive is approx. 80% on highways with quite a few twists and turns.

Would wider tires provide more stability and grip at highway speeds especially when negotiating curves/turns? I know that it will yield less FE but my impression is that the wider tires would be safer. Is this true?
Wider tires would give more grip and confidence but with slight compromise in ride comfort. Also your steering would weigh up with wider tires.

I recommend if you are interested in upgrades, opt to get 17in rims with with the OE Bridgestones which are easily available. But in my opinion since 80% of your drive is on highways, I would recommend softer compound tires either from Michelin or the Goodyear Efficientgrip I have mentioned previously. These are great tires especially for quiet and comfy highway runs, I have seen many Range Rovers and Cayennes using these SUV range tires with good reviews. If you do not intend to upsize I would recommend to keep stock tires and get some nice aftermarket rims, but that's just my opinion and what I would have done in your situation.
souvik6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 16:04   #306
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
10.84 sounds a bit too optimistic IMHO. IIRC, Verna 1.6 diesel does the sprint in 13.x seconds.
Why does it sound "a bit too optimistic", CrAzY dRiVeR? Just because it's an existing engine doing duty in the Verna & Elantra, and hasn't been the beneficiary of a massive build-up of hype on Team-BHP?

Verna 1.6 CRDi does the ton in 13.x seconds? Here is ACI's data. The Verna 1.6 U2 CRDi 6-speed MT does the ton in 10.54 seconds flat! Even the 1.6 Gamma dual VTVT accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 11.49 seconds, when mated to a 5-speed MT:

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-image.jpg

I think the Creta's 0-100 kmph times would not be too far off the Verna's, so the Creta 1.6 CRDi hitting the ton in less than 10.xx seconds sounds perfectly believable!

Well, all I can say is that torque / Nm / kgm may "pull", but ultimately it is power / PS / bhp that does all the "talking" and the "walking" or rather, "sprinting" (to be more precise) to 100 kmph, and beyond!

And here it comes as absolutely no surprise that the Creta 1.6 CRDi, with its class-leading 128 PS, does the sprint to the ton in the quickest time among its direct rivals, despite powering a car which is not the lightest in its class. The relevant portion can be found from 8:30 seconds in the following ACI comparison video:

In fact, the 128 horses churned out by the 1.6 U2 CRDi are so strong and punchy (and refined, of course!), that it even manages to overcome gearbox limitations in the Verna Automatic.

The Verna 1.6 CRDi's 4-speed torque converter simply clobbers the "lightning quick", "mighty" 7-speed DSG of the Škoda Octavia 1.5 TDI / Volkswagen Vento 1.5 TDI and leaves them behind in a trail of dust and exhaust smoke, when it comes to the 0-100 kmph dash, all thanks to the 128 horses it controls:

Quote:
The Verna is much quicker than it feels. Thanks to the horsepower advantage, the Verna is actually quicker than the Rapid in every department. It goes from 0-100kph in just 11.19sec, which makes it a second quicker than the Skoda. The Verna is pretty good in terms of driveability too. It takes 6.48sec to go from 20-80kph and 9.20sec for 40-100kph, which is much faster than the Rapid.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-392025.aspx/0

If that is what a mere 4-speed torque converter can do to a "mighty", "lightning quick" 7-speed DSG, thanks to the sheer horsepower advantage, I can only imagine how quick the Creta SX+ AT with the 1.6 U2 CRDi mated to a 6-speed torque converter would be.

The "power" of power / PS / bhp can only be underestimated at one's own risk!

I'm glad the Team-BHP review gave due credit to the 128 PS 1.6 U2 CRDi (which is easily the most powerful, most refined & quickest in its class) by calling it a jewel of an engine, which it truly is!

Last edited by RSR : 15th September 2015 at 16:12.
RSR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 17:18   #307
BHPian

Anybody from Bangalore who booked post launch (Jul21st) and have recieved their car? I have booked a White SX(O) on 22 Jul with Advaith and till now they are not committing any dates.
Old 15th September 2015, 19:32   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

Why does it sound "a bit too optimistic", CrAzY dRiVeR? Just because it's an existing engine doing duty in the Verna & Elantra, and hasn't been the beneficiary of a massive build-up of hype on Team-BHP?
Hey RSR I agree with your view.

During my purchase of the GT last year, I only drove 2 other cars viz: 90 HP Punto & 1.6 Fluidic Verna CRDi. Since nothing has changed with respect to mechanicals on the facelift Fluidic Verna, I think I can share my experience here that I believe can help us understand the Creta 1.6 CRDi better:

- On my 1.6 GT TDI, the speed is really masked well but not that brutal acceleration, which can scare the living daylights at times. On the Fluidic 1.6 CRDi, its quite the opposite. The acceleration is not felt as much, but the car is moving really fast due to that amazing refinement. I am quite sure that Creta is very similar in this aspect.

- On a recent highway outing, had a chance to go neck & neck with a Creta CRDI (MT I guess). It just does not behave like a car of its size should. Though neither of us were really racing each other, Creta was easily able to maintain a car's length for over 2kms. A rough patch made me drop the speed to a crawl, while this one just glided across

- I have not driven the Creta yet but here are the numbers:

Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDI (1191kg)

Power to weight ratio - 107
Torque to weight ratio - 218

Creta 1.6 CRDI (~1200kg)

Power to weight ratio - 106.6
Torque to weight ratio - 216

At least from the numbers, a 0-100Km/hr dash in under 11 seconds is quite 'Believable', 'Doable' and 'Possible'.

-
I saw Creta parked beside a new Santa-fe near my office today and boy does the former look compact. But I really love that proper compact SUV look which Creta has, over the more aggressive and all-out 'Conqueror' look the Sante-fe brings.

Personally, I am not a big fan of SUVs, MUVs, MPVs, etc. But I have to admit hands down that Creta is by far the best looking car in its segment.

P.S - In that video by Motorbeam, I suspect the driver started the Creta from 2nd gear. Observe closely and you can see the 'Upshift 3' flashing soon after the start.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 15th September 2015 at 19:46.
Vik0728 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 21:28   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Verna 1.6 CRDi's 4-speed torque converter simply clobbers the "lightning quick", "mighty" 7-speed DSG of the Škoda Octavia 1.5 TDI / Volkswagen Vento 1.5 TDI and leaves them behind in a trail of dust and exhaust smoke, when it comes to the 0-100 kmph dash, all thanks to the 128 horses it controls:

The "power" of power / PS / bhp can only be underestimated at one's own risk!
Guilty as charged! Man, you have me pinned to the wall there!

Frankly, I was not expecting Creta to be so fast! And I certainly did not expect Verna CRDi 4 speed AT to be faster than Rapid DSG. That is an eye opener!

I test drive cars like I own them, testing how it would respond to my normal driving pattern. Looks like my butt dyno was wrong about the performance of Creta (manual) vis-a-vis S-Cross.

Agreed that the engine is a jewel. Forget everything else, my wife seated at the rear compared the refinement of the Diesel engine to our petrol Xcent! All this without even having insulation under the hood! If only I had better parking space at hometown, Xcent AT could have made way for Creta diesel AT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2015 at 21:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 23:02   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anybody having trouble downloading the phone contacts on to HU? I tried many times but not been able to successfully download the contacts. I use a Redmi Note and is it because I have synced many accounts like Gmail, Official, Mi etc.

Do let me know.
It partially works for me with a 1+1 and a lot of gmail contacts. The partial part being the import seems to stop at 288 contacts.

I still haven't figured out how to get voice calling working though.
manku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 23:53   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Wow. How am I supposed to measure my fuel efficiency now! First time I filed up about 10 KM after the amber light, it auto cut off at 50.1 litres.
I would suggest fill the tank from amber to just till auto cut off at the same filling station (possibly at the same pump at the same time during the day so that the temperature correction/variation of fuel volume is minimal) between consecutive fill ups and that should give you a good measure of the fuel efficiency.
Old 16th September 2015, 01:30   #312
BHPian

I have done 4200+ Kms on my Creta 1.6 SX (O) so far. Just back from Bangalore <-> Goa trip of 1500 kms. Below are my initial feelers:

1. A great highway cruiser. Long journeys are really comfortable and fatigue free. Overtaking is breeze. Easily cruises at 100 Km/h at 2000 RPM.

2. Not much of turbo lag and power delivery is quite linear. Does not have to work with gearbox much and city is driving is comfortable.

3. Steering weighs up nicely as you pick up the speed and it’s quite responsive although sometimes you feel artificial. This car gives you enough confidence to approach high speed corners at 100/110 kmph. (May be best in the lot of Hyundai India in this dept.)

4. Quite a head turner and attention grabber it is. Especially white with its contrasting cladding and 17" diamond cut alloys on top end trim.

5. Stock Bridgestone's on this top end trim does the duty well. There is adequate grip and although not completely silent cuts the noise to certain extent. Performs quite ok under wet conditions as well.

6. Getting fuel economy of 14.5 to 16 kmpl on an average highway and city (with Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic) combined and measured with full tank to full tank fill. Distance to empty and average fuel economy on board is a real miss.

7. AVN unit is good. Speakers are just ok not that great. Touch is quite responsive and there is no lag. Maps and Navigation system is best in its segment and works well. There are quite a few bugs: Most of the times search contact icon goes missing and you need to manually scroll the available contacts to make call. Sometimes contacts fails to download from phone. Lack of voice commands is a miss. As mentioned by many people caution message on the screen every time you start is quite annoying.

8. Stock Projector headlamps beam is pretty good on both low and high beam. Night drives are comfortable so far.

9. Breaking is quite adequate for this vehicle. However there were some instances where i felt the need for all wheel disc brakes which would have been big plus.

10. Some features like rain sensing wipers, automatic headlamps, all wheel disc brakes, auto-folding ORVM's, lack of telescopic steering adjustment, vanity mirror lamp are sorely missed in a car costing 17+ Lacs on road Bangalore. Some of these features are not new and were part of i20's and Verna.

11. I miss movable front arm rest quite a lot. All doors have 1 liter bottle holder's which is useful most of the times.

12. Air Conditioning is great. Some amount of air comes through the vents even when you completely shut it.

13. Handles most of the bumps very well. Although rear passengers feels them on some occasions and there is some amount of body roll is present at the rear.

14. Rear bench could have been bit higher.

15. Overall quite satisfied with my selection when compared to its rivals. Yes it is overpriced by a lac or bit more. But look at its rivals and what they offer and Creta brings well rounded package on board. It’s been good ownership experience so far.
TorqueManR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 02:28   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
P.S - In that video by Motorbeam, I suspect the driver started the Creta from 2nd gear. Observe closely and you can see the 'Upshift 3' flashing soon after the start.
No mate, he did start off in 1st gear. Just check at what speed he upshifts.

1st upshifts at 40kmph.
2nd upshift at 70kmph.
3rd upshift at 100+ kmph.

And more over the MID will tell you the most efficient gear to be in and will tell you to skip a gear when you drive like a maniac.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 03:44   #314
BHPian

Got my Creta SX+ CRDI delivered on 4th Sep. Here is a critique review of it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...a-sx-crdi.html
Old 16th September 2015, 10:23   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
10.84 sounds a bit too optimistic IMHO. IIRC, Verna 1.6 diesel does the sprint in 13.x seconds.

S-Cross does it in a claimed 11.3 secs. We might need to wait for an in dependant source to test these cars.
Just went through the latest Autocar edition. As per their test

0 to 100Kmph------Model
10.81-------------1.6 Diesel MT
11.53-------------1.6 Diesel AT
12.70-------------1.6 Petrol MT

Not bad at all, I'm pleasantly surprised. And I thought the Creta was based on i20's underpinnings but its actual based on Elantra.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks