Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 01:12   #406
BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Hi BHPians,
I'm planning to buy a new car (almost decided on Creta unless something comes up soon...may be absolutely stunning Facelifted Duster). But I want to get a new year 2016 model. Just wondering when will be 2016 manufactured vehicles be ready for delivery? Will it be in Jan or Feb? Any suggestions on when to go for booking?

Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 03:28   #407
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

I don't have ownership experience of Hyundais beyond a couple of years. I'm just curious to know whether Hyundais (with the Creta in mind in particular) are capable of giving 7-8 years / 100 to 150,000 kms of trouble free, rattle free and solid ownership in the way that Innovas are perceived to provide. At some point in the next 12 - 18 months, I want a reliable workhorse replacement for my Sunny, which replacement should be Diesel and A/T and that I should not have to change over for as long as possible. The only reason to change the Sunny is I really don't want any manual car in the house any more. My only options in this segment seem to be Creta / Duster AT - since they provide a compact footprint in a crossover shell while still retaining car like driving dynamics (unlike proper SUVs).
Old 30th September 2015, 04:14   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I don't have ownership experience of Hyundais beyond a couple of years. I'm just curious to know whether Hyundais (with the Creta in mind in particular) are capable of giving 7-8 years / 100 to 150,000 kms of trouble free, rattle free and solid ownership in the way that Innovas are perceived to provide. At some point in the next 12 - 18 months, I want a reliable workhorse replacement for my Sunny, which replacement should be Diesel and A/T and that I should not have to change over for as long as possible. The only reason to change the Sunny is I really don't want any manual car in the house any more. My only options in this segment seem to be Creta / Duster AT - since they provide a compact footprint in a crossover shell while still retaining car like driving dynamics (unlike proper SUVs).
All Hyundai cars , especially those with a premium build quality, will easily last 5 years ( of moderate usage ) with a reasonable amount of niggles. Thy Toyota Innova, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast. The body and chassis are built to last.
The engine is in a relaxed state of tune and this prolongs the engine life to extraordinary levels.

We have 2 Innovas in the family , each run more than 1.6 lakh km.

They were bought in 2006. They have had only the routine services till now and are still as rattle free as on the day they were bought.

We really didn't expect this kind of longevity when we bought it and expected to change cars after 5 years , but whenever we think of some car which could stand up to the Innova in build quality, comfort and complete reliability we end up where we started -Toyota Innova!

In your case, when you want an automatic , you can get the Fortuner.
Old 30th September 2015, 06:32   #409
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2009 I20 diesel thats done about 60K. It has held up pretty well, a minor rattle here and there which is not a bother. We also own a 2008 Innova thats done 1L. Though it has been reliable, it has rattles everywhere. To be fair, it has also seen roads (or should I say no roads) that were horrible. I think you should be fine with the current gen hyundais. They are well-built and have a premium (in their segment) feel. The only car thats been rattle-free is my Jetta that has done about 25K. Its also seen the worst of roads.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 09:27   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Innovas are in different league altogether. They are built to last for decades. You cant go wrong with a Toyota engine. I've seen Toyota Innovas, Qualis' running for 3-4 lakh kms after which the engines are re-bored/refurbished and put to use again for anotehr couple of lakh kms. Now coming to Hyundai, they are definitely catching up with the toyotas and Hondas and are giving them a run for money, especially with their catchy designs and even the reliability factor has tremendously improved. I have a 6 year old Hyundai Verna CRDI SX with 65k km on it and still runs well. Except for one tiny rattle sound the car is performing to its potential. Maintenance wise its pretty regular stuff...tyres changed, battery changed, recently the steering fluid started leaking and the steering box had to be reworked. All in all a fairly trouble free ownership till date. So 1.5 lakh km on a Hyundai can be done without much fuss and I havea friend who is using a Accent with 1.2 lakh km on it.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 14:59   #411
BHPian

I saw few Cretas on the road recently and did not like its looks. The front face looks very meek and cockeyed. The Duster and the Ecosport have much stronger characters than the Creta.

People have already started putting hideous chrome lining on the headlamps and tail-lamps of this car. Bad Taste.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:02   #412
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
I happen to be in the US for a visit and this is the warranty here "5 yr/60,000 miles basic, 10 yr/100,000 miles powertrain" for all Hyundai vehicles starting from Verna to Santa Fe. This is more than the what is being offered BY TOYOTA! Goes to say how Hyundai has placed themselves in the Mecca for automobiles.

I personally have owned 6 Hyundai cars and must have put around 2 lacs kms all inclusive (though none has exceeded 75K) and the only major replacement I made over a span of 15 years was the clutch assembly on my fluidic Verna at 30000 kms - thanks to the wonderful bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. No niggles or rattles in any of the cars I own/sold.

The Creta AT is a good urban CUV at its price point and not an enthusiast's car. But if you want a highway cruiser with some off road capability choose the Duster. There are no 2 ways about it.

Last edited by BNM : 30th September 2015 at 18:12.
Old 30th September 2015, 19:46   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Axe,

I am still driving a 1999 Hyundai Santro with more than 130K kilometers on the odometer. It still starts on the first attempt even on a cold winter morning. Of course there is a lot of wear and tear but the car still runs; still handles the crazy Hyderabad roads effortlessly and gives me around 14kms per liter.

I don't think my other car would age so well (XUV500).
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:14   #414
BHPian

Quote:
That can only be another Innova my friend (or a Fortuner). The new series in 2016 is expected to come with top-of-the-line specs and safety features, and as always, be priced at a premium. But if 7-8 yrs/150,000 Km peace-of-mind ownership is what you desire, please don't even look anywhere else. IMO, the Innova is as car-like to drive as either the Creta or the S Cross , purely from my test drive experience.

(Disclosure- I have been the very happy owner of a 2006 Innova- just sold it at 185,000+ Km to buy the EcoSport AT, with a lot of should-I-should-I-not prevarication. If I can swing it, I would dump my Ertiga ZDI for the new Innova at the earliest.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 30th September 2015 at 21:16.
Old 30th September 2015, 21:39   #415
BHPian

Axe - I recently replaced my sunny with the manual creta (sxo). So far soooo good!
I've had experience of Hyundai accent and Getz lasting me 5 years without any problems - and rattles if any were practically un noticeable.
After the super long and super smooth sunny I was a bit apprehensive if creta would give me a similar experience, and it has. Very quiet inside the cabin despite being a diesel. And very smooth and spacious as well.
Old 1st October 2015, 09:36   #416
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have ownership experience of Hyundais beyond a couple of years. I'm just curious to know whether Hyundais (with the Creta in mind in particular) are capable of giving 7-8 years / 100 to 150,000 kms of trouble free, rattle free and solid ownership in the way that Innovas are perceived to provide
@Axe77 - I own a Accent CRDi with 1.2 L km on the ODO - Suspension and clutch replaced at 1.0 lakh. She still drives like a dream - All Hyundai's are definitely built to last - The only gripe about the Innova is the Engine noise on highway drives - Just unbearable.

On the other hand Creta or the other premium cars from the Hyundai are super silent inside the cabin and you wouldn't do justice comparing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
We have 2 Innovas in the family , each run more than 1.6 lakh km.
@Sunsetorange - Innova's and reliability go hand in hand - It cannot just go wrong but somehow I don't like the intrusion of engine noise into the cabin at speed higher than 100kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Innovas are in different league altogether. They are built to last for decades. You cant go wrong with a Toyota engine. I've seen Toyota Innovas, Qualis' running for 3-4 lakh kms
I have a 6 year old Hyundai Verna CRDI SX with 65k km on it and still runs well. Except for one tiny rattle sound the car is performing to its potential. Maintenance wise its pretty regular stuff...tyres changed, battery changed,
So 1.5 lakh km on a Hyundai can be done without much fuss and I havea friend who is using a Accent with 1.2 lakh km on it.
@thatsdileep - You hit the nail - Reliability of the T's can't be questioned but it does has its short comings.

Good to hear that the Verna is serving you well - And it will continue to without any surprises
Old 1st October 2015, 09:44   #417
BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Personally I feel Innova engine is not serving to its potential. For 2.5L mill just 100bhp is lame. Even 1.5 L engine from Honda and Ford are doing the same. 1.6L mill from Hyundai is able to output 126bhp. If Toyota can add a turbo and re-tune the engine for better power and torque it would be a killer. But then fuel efficiency will be out of the window. This is the enthusiast in me talking.
Also to keep in mind is the price, already Innova is quite a few notches above and adding the turbo and retuning means Toyota will jack up the price by another lakh or 2. At that price point the sales will go down.

Last edited by thatsdileep : 1st October 2015 at 09:47.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 10:09   #418
BHPian

Between the XUV 500 and Creta, I chose a Creta because of the reliability that most non-Indian Brand promise and mostly deliver. I currently own a 2006 Honda City Zxi. Well cared for and we'll driven, I've clocked 165000 kilometers thus far. The vehicle is in good condition even now, and I am pretty sure it will go well over 225000 kilometers without major trouble. I do not think a Tata, a Mahindra or a Maruti would have served me like this.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:28   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I feel Innova engine is not serving to its potential. For 2.5L mill just 100bhp is lame. Even 1.5 L engine from Honda and Ford are doing the same. 1.6L mill from Hyundai is able to output 126bhp. If Toyota can add a turbo and re-tune the engine for better power and torque it would be a killer. But then fuel efficiency will be out of the window. This is the enthusiast in me talking.
Also to keep in mind is the price, already Innova is quite a few notches above and adding the turbo and retuning means Toyota will jack up the price by another lakh or 2. At that price point the sales will go down.
These 2 engines and cars are just not in the same league. The smaller engines are in a pretty high state of tune and would last a good 1 lakh or a bit more kilometres under reasonable care.

The Toyota Innova is built to last. The engines easily last 3-4 lakh kilometres before you might require a re bore or such and would last 2-3 lakh kilometres again.

The reason is the relaxed state of tune as someone said already.

It is built to be a MUV and it is tuned to do that job, without a break or complaint for years and years, if not decades!

The reliability is what the Toyota is known for and respected for and hence the price. You don't buy a car , it's almost a heirloom!
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 17:23   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all Innova does have a Turbo!!. It does have an intercooler as well.
Well the Innova might not have enough horses which means it does not match the acceleration or top speed of a 1.6/1.5 mill. But Innova drivability is unmatched. With the puny engines you can just dream of. Toyota Engine is a masterpiece, all it lacks is 6th gear.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks