Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 00:43   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I had a situation wherein I found adulterated diesel in the fuel tank.

I was also advised to add the injector fluid as well.
What kind of "fluid" was this? Was it used as an additive in the fuel or was it used in a specific injector cleaning process?

Also, since there was fuel adulteration, was the fuel-filter also cleaned/replaced because of the contaminants? Nothing reflects in the bill. What specific type of adulteration was this, water or solid particles or some soluble contaminant?

Forgive my many questions but this cleaning "process" seemed kind of hazy in details so it sparked my curiosity.

One last detail if possible: what is the intervals specified according to the manual for changing the fuel filter and air filter for the Crysta?
Old 17th August 2016, 07:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It was a shocker to me. The leg room was very limited. Please refer to the pic below. That is an average male (6'2) sitting in the front. And steering was too close to my knees even when the seat height was at lowest and steering was at its highest setting. I somehow felt old innova was more roomy. The seats felt thin and narrow.

Conclusion: IMO, For a person used to Safari, Crysta will definitely fall short on space and comfort. It is going to be another Safari for me.
While I agree to the overall conclusion you made -- on the front legroom part, how was your experience in the Storme ? Having owned it for 3 years, I can say there is a bit of a squeeze at the front - of course you get used to it and modify your style of entry and settling in. Maybe the Crysta would also need a similar approach.

and BTW 6'2" - by no measure is an average male ( not at least avg Indian male ) !
Old 17th August 2016, 07:51   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
While I agree to the overall conclusion you made -- on the front legroom part, how was your experience in the Storme ? Having owned it for 3 years, I can say there is a bit of a squeeze at the front - of course you get used to it and modify your style of entry and settling in. Maybe the Crysta would also need a similar approach.

and BTW 6'2" - by no measure is an average male ( not at least avg Indian male ) !

I own a DICOR and there is atleast 8 inches of legroom(my knees to the dash) even after me being seated in it. It is not about the entry, but about the space front passenger has, after being seated. Innova crysta definitely lacks front seat travel. Dont even compare it with storme, compare it with punto/polo, you will find more space in the front on those hatches(when front seat is pushed to the farthest setting) than on the crysta.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th August 2016 at 07:53.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:58   #289
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone bought 3D mats for their Crysta? I wish to buy a set and have seen few listings on Amazon. Pics or reviews would be much appreciated!

I am planning to remove the third row of seat from the Innova. I thought I woukd do it as a DIY. There are three bolts holding the swing base to the body. Two bolts are easily removable from above, but the third bolt us at an angle and there is no space above bolt head to fit a box and there is not enough clearance on the side to fit an open spanner. So thinking of taking it to the dealer to get it done. I was hoping that it would be an easy job like in other UVs.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:59   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What kind of "fluid" was this? Was it used as an additive in the fuel or was it used in a specific injector cleaning process?
Hello pixantz,

Let me answer your questions:

Quote:
This was an additive with the Fuel. Toyota said since the suction motor (device that sucks the fuel and feeds it to the engine) is located at the rear bottom end of the fuel tank and since water is heavier than diesel, it gets sucked in first and there are very less chances that contaminants (solid or liquid) are still there in the tank. I didn’t want to take any chances so I got it checked. The fuel tank was dismantled and the remaining fuel in the tank was removed and was inspected of adulteration. The fuel lines & fuel filter were also cleaned. Now once was fuel tank was cleaned and everything was put back into place, I put in fresh Diesel which I had brought with me from a trusted fuel station and after that Injector fluid was put in. Toyota says after injector fluid does it job, it burns along with the fuel and you would not even know it. I have added some pictures of the injector fluid bottle.

Quote:
Also, since there was fuel adulteration, was the fuel-filter also cleaned/replaced because of the contaminants? Nothing reflects in the bill. What specific type of adulteration was this, water or solid particles or some soluble contaminant?
On my first visit to Toyota, when I got intermittent indication on the instrument cluster that water/impurities has entered fuel filter, we had removed 1-2 Teaspoon of viscous liquid. We then checked the fuel filter which seemed to in good shape hence didn’t change it. We also drained out fuel filter on my first visit and found minute dust particles as well hence, my restlessness to clean the complete system. The car has now completed about 2.2K kilometers and no problems whatsoever. We know it is inevitable to refill the car from the same fuel station especially when go out of state hence, when filling diesel from unknown fuel station, I always ask the attendant to fill up 2 litre bottle, I then check for any visible impurities and then ask him to top it up. Any other ideas to check impurities from unknown fuel station are welcome.

Quote:
what is the intervals specified according to the manual for changing the fuel filter and air filter for the Crysta?
For air filter: Inspect every 5000kms and replace after 30K kilometers (Mentioned in the owner’s manual)
For fuel filter: Inspect every 5000Kms and replace after 80K kilometers or doesn’t require replacement at all (As per service lead at Toyota, cannot seem to find in the owner’s manual)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_1282.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_1283.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_1284.jpg  

drive_angry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 13:40   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Has anyone bought 3D mats for their Crysta? I wish to buy a set and have seen few listings on Amazon. Pics or reviews would be much
What about the 3m nomad mats. Much more useful and practical than a typical 3d mats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This video explains how it works -
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:19   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I own a DICOR and there is atleast 8 inches of legroom(my knees to the dash) even after me being seated in it. It is not about the entry, but about the space front passenger has, after being seated. Innova crysta definitely lacks front seat travel. Dont even compare it with storme, compare it with punto/polo, you will find more space in the front on those hatches(when front seat is pushed to the farthest setting) than on the crysta.
My question was reg the Storme which you listed as one of the contenders for comparison. Dicor seat space is different
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:00   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
What about the 3m nomad mats. Much more useful and practical than a typical 3d mats.
Loop mat is my second choice, i have used it in the Swift and i like it. The problem is dust and debris gets stuck inside the loops hidden from view offering a clean look but dirt is still inside. With other mats one is compelled to take it out and clean it when it gets visibly dirty. When loop mat is washed it gets longer to dry and when dusted some particles are still left behind.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:30   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

N.Raja, senior vice-president & director of Marketing & Sales, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, clarifies that more than 95% of Crystas delivered so far have been for personal use, while 50% of all Crysta sales have come from the 2.8L AT variants.

Quote:
"More than 95% of Innova Crysta MPVs have been bought for personal use. The reason is we had kept an inventory of previous-generation Innova for fleet customers, who demand better price-value equation. The Crysta is more expensive.

I must add that 50% of total Crysta sales are automatic transmission, which speaks a lot about changing customer preference in this segment.

Our long-term vision is hybrid. CNG is a short-term fix. Moreover, the profile of the Innova personal-use car buyer is such that she won’t compromise the vehicle’s comfort or power levels, which can be affected by CNG. In the personal-use segment even in Delhi, less than 5% customers opt for CNG. It is primarily a fleet-owner’s fuel."

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-grph.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 17:42   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
My question was reg the Storme which you listed as one of the contenders for comparison. Dicor seat space is different
The seat space in both safari dicor and storme are the exact same!
Old 17th August 2016, 17:50   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello pixantz,

Let me answer your questions:
Thank you for putting all curiosity to rest. This additive thing is kind of an unsure process with most folks most of the time in India. Primarily because you never know if what you are buying is really what it says on the bottle. And in most cases the result is far from what one would expect. But in your case since it was Toyota Kirloskar themselves providing it, you are sorted.

Buying this stuff from normal shops is very dicey. Even FNG mechanics advice against it. Anyway, enjoy the rejenuvated ride
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:09   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is inevitable to refill the car from the same fuel station especially when go out of state hence, when filling diesel from unknown fuel station, I always ask the attendant to fill up 2 litre bottle, I then check for any visible impurities and then ask him to top it up
You will definitely look different doing all this, I do over 6000 Km by Road every month for my work and though most of the time, I travel on known routes but occasionally I drive on unknown roads as well, worst case - is probably getting little less that too I won't know for sure. But nothing that will make your car stop at least in recent Years. Yes in past, our Vijay Super & Ambassador will simply start missing when we got such fuel but that was at least 3 decades ago

I think you have been unlucky, water is not something any pump will add and it must have seeped into tanks due to rain & there's a reason why most of the Cars including your's have a way to filter it. I am not sure if you can visually distinguish adulterated Diesel by naked eyes just by looking over Diesel in a bottle . By my experience, the easiest way to be safe is to find something near to city or where you see local car/scooters getting filled up. If you are on a longer highway check where there are more trucks. Besides overall ambience of Pump should give you a feel. I simply move on in case I see that decade old metering machines. Reliance pumps are operational and are better managed and so are most of BP pumps. Also, don't fill the tank full if you are not sure, better to stop again after 200-300 Km at some other place rather than getting the top up at an unknown place.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2016 at 15:31. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The following factors are missed ( conveniently missed ) in that comparison chart.
  • Higher resale value of Diesel
  • The practical average mileage in the long run will be only around 75% of ARAI mileage. So, the diesel would end up with 11.25 kmpl and petrol with 8.12 kmpl making the per km cost for Diesel and Petrol to be 4.83 INR per km and 7.6 INR per km respectively. So, the difference in cost becomes 2.77 INR per km instead of 1.9 INR per km shown on that chart given by Toyota.

This makes the fuel saving cost per year for Diesel to
  • 33,277 INR per year for 12,000 kms per year ( not 23,000 odd )
  • 55,463 INR per year for 20,000 kms per year ( not 38,919 ) &
  • 83,194 INR per year for 30,000 kms per year ( not 58,379 )

Now, that makes the years for recovering additional investment on Diesel to 5.26 years, 3.16 years and 2.1 years for 12000, 20000 & 30000 kms per year respectively.

We are not even considering the increase in price for fuel. As the fuel cost is increased, the difference in cost per km for Petrol and Diesel widens even further.
for eg:-, if both the Petrol and Diesel prices are increased uniformly by 20 INR per liter, the per km running cost difference widens to 3.46 INR per km instead of 2.77 INR per km at the current pricing.

Considering the higher resale value and the amazing durability and low cost of maintenance that Toyota Diesels offers ( not to forget that huge torque advantage of the Diesel ), it's a no brainer to choose the Toyota Diesel for any of the cases mentioned in the comparison. But, Toyota for some reasons known only to them always comes up with some crap comparisons to prove that Petrol is more cost effective even if you run 20000 kms per year.

For some reason, Toyota seems to be trying without success to prove that Petrol is cost effective than Diesel with wrong and exaggerated figures. ( Maybe, their margin is lesser for Diesels because Diesel engines are imported as of now or maybe, the government policy against Diesel is preventing them from starting Diesel manufacturing in India )

Last edited by amalji : 17th August 2016 at 19:09.
amalji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 20:17   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Has anyone bought 3D mats for their Crysta? I wish to buy a set and have seen few listings on Amazon. Pics or reviews would be much appreciated!
Sankar,

I opted for the 4D mats offered by the dealer. I am yet to check the quality of the mats. The car is planned to be delivered by this weekend and I will share the details/pictures of the mats soon.

Dealer is offering fabric mats as a complimentary. I asked them to give 4D mats instead and pay the differential amount. Price for 4D mats is 7499/- and Fabric mats price offered by the dealer is 2894/-.
Balance payable:4605/-. I know it's on the higher side when compared to the options available outside, but didn't want to take a chance with the quality.
Old 19th August 2016, 10:03   #300
BHPian

Test drove the Innova AT and Creta Manual and Auto. The highway manners of the Innova deserves a relaxed driving style but the engine is quite powerful. Found the Creta to be just like any other C segment sedan-the dynamics, interior space, features etc. But the automatic has only 2 airbags so it's not ideal for highway use. And the manual is a pain for city use.

Maybe that's why the XUV sells so well. It offers everything the others don't, but with a compromise on quality and reliability. Wish the Innova had a stiffer suspension. It would have made it much better to drive

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd August 2016 at 15:34. Reason: Typos corrected. Please take some time to compose and then re-read your post before you submit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks