Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 20:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I basically wanted protection from scratches, small dimples and dents (mainly from incurred when car is parked)
You will probably need an invisible and invincible enclosure to avoid those dimples and dents while being parked or driving (bikes can easily cause smallest of dimple on Innova with slightest of touch)

On our brand new Red Innova (Type II), with the Paint Protection Coat applied soon after delivery, a keen child must have seen a brand new Red Writing board and saw fit to practice ABCD...Z, full 3 panels needed to be repainted.

On a serious note, the only things you can opt for is a scratch resistant/paint protection coating like 3M film. However, those also have limitations. If at all it wears off/film is taken off, it will surely need a nice polish all over. So judge and decide well.

Quote:
There are so many Front bumper guards available in the market which claims that airbag functionality will not be affected but yes I will check with Toyota on first service. thanks!
Avoid! Atleast on an Airbag equipped Innova / any car. Over the time, just get used to the judgement of corners and front and you will be fine and be extra careful in traffic initially. Rear is okay for bike/other vehicle nudge protection.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 22:45   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply ecosport rules & Divyendu Sharma, I have never gotten any car filmed/coated so open to all suggestions. what would be the best? I basically wanted protection from scratches, small dimples and dents (mainly from incurred when car is parked)

I had a look at the Facebook page of waytoshine & Hybrid customs. I really like the glass coating from way2shine. What exactly is it? any prior experience? does paint come off when one remove the coating?

drive_angry
Hi drive_angry
I have used the services of way2shine.I had got the glass coating for my Cadillac.Now a days I believe they have guaranteed maintenance packs.Sure there are better products in the market like opti coat pro etc. but the I found the glass coating as value for money.

Cheers
Divyendu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 22:31   #243
BHPian

Noob question alert: Is there any speakers in the rear door (Captain seat doors) of Innova Crysta? The reason I am asking because I can get sound only from front door component speakers not the rear door speakers. I went through manual and could not seem to find any setting that could limit the output to front components only. Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

drive_angry
Old 28th July 2016, 23:03   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noob question alert: Is there any speakers in the rear door (Captain seat doors) of Innova Crysta? The reason I am asking because I can get sound only from front door component speakers not the rear door speakers. I went through manual and could not seem to find any setting that could limit the output to front components only. Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

drive_angry
There are certainly 2 speakers in the middle row - one on each side.

Check the 'sound' option in the HU and ensure that you have not inadvertently set the fade to 'front'
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 23:31   #245
BHPian

A little update: Its an absolute fun driving this version of Innova, especially in power mode, a different beast altogether. From a person graduating from ‘innocent’ Maruti Zen (2005, Lxi), this is completely different ball game. I now actually see how people makes way for a big car.

Welcome to the world of Diesel Engines: So our family is one of those who has never owned a diesel engine. All the cars in that past, including that Innova were having petrol engine. So this morning, I was returning from Shimla after spending a perfect getaway with family. When I was near Parwanoo, Himachal Pradesh (HP). I noticed a continuous ‘BEEP’ coming from instrument cluster and MID reads ‘Water Accumulated in Fuel Filter, please check Fuel Filter, Refer Owner’s Manual’. I quickly parked the car to the side and saw the owner’s manual regarding this. Frankly, I didn’t understand jack. I called up friend who works with Toyota, He seemed to have grabbed the situation pretty well and he quickly asked "Did you refill your car other than the fuel station you used to fill up your car" I obviously replied Yes, since was outstation and car was running low on fuel. Next he asked, how was the the temperature there? I said It was raining and we were literally between the clouds. He then said there is strong possibility that you got water in your last refill. I panicked and started worrying thinking what if water enters engine? He assured me not to worry and its common with diesel engines and asked to open up the hood, loosen the tap located at the bottom of the fuel filter and pump from above. to my surprise a whitish dark liquid escaped the fuel filter. after doing this for 5-10 minutes, I went inside the car to check and see if the warning has subsided. Thank god all systems were green. He then advised me to Toyota A.S.S to get it checked.

So I covered about 20-25 Kms and now I am in Toyota’s ASS, Chandigarh. I met the manager Mr. Rajwinder Singh. He listened to my problem carefully and called his Team lead Mr. OM. He said first a job card needs to be opened and then we can look in to the car since it was already 4:30. My car was pulled up inside and fuel filter was opened. It was then pumped out of all the liquid into a transparent beaker. It had a teaspoon full of water in it with minute dust particles. Mr. OM also concluded that I am a victim of fuel adulteration. I then requested him to check the condition of fuel filter’s sensor and fuel filter itself. To which he said it perfectly normal. I was worried to death regarding this and hence, requested him to check 5-6 times during my one hour visit, to which he happily obliged.

I then requested him to drain out all the fuel left in the tank and clean the tank.to which said. “I have pumped out the fuel from the tank and it seems to be fine. You drive the car around and come back when the car is nearing empty we can clean the fuel tank along with your 1st service”. I said I don’t care if you throw away the fuel left in the tank. I want you to get the RID of the fuel. He then said that I should bring the car on Monday as they were closing the service center now and tomorrow being a Sunday is a holiday. My mother and father were there with me the whole time, in support but were pretty upset as to how can this happen but, we were assured that this is not a big concern. So we were let go with Rs. 4 bill (which was exempted) and remarks on the job car regarding the water found in fuel filter, to come back on Monday.

So, with a lot negative thoughts and thinking, I need help of fellow BHPians for:

1. I need to know, has the water entered in the engine? has my car’s engine gone for a six?
2. I will be getting fuel filter, fuel line and fuel tank cleaned on Monday. Is there any thing I should take care of?
3. They said they will insure a mixture (Don’t exactly remember the name) along with the clean fuel which removes the deposits, if any. Is it useful or am I being taken for a fool?
4. They said Toyota’s fuel filter lasts a lifetime. Do I need to change mine?
5. They have everything on the job card. Can they reject future claims/warranty regarding this?

Thanks!

drive_angry
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 23:39   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, with a lot negative thoughts and thinking, I need help of fellow BHPians for:

1. I need to know, has the water entered in the engine? has my car’s engine gone for a six?
2. I will be getting fuel filter, fuel line and fuel tank cleaned on Monday. Is there any thing I should take care of?
3. They said they will insure a mixture (Don’t exactly remember the name) along with the clean fuel which removes the deposits, if any. Is it useful or am I being taken for a fool?
4. They said Toyota’s fuel filter lasts a lifetime. Do I need to change mine?
5. They have everything on the job card. Can they reject future claims/warranty regarding this?
Thanks!
There is no need to worry about this. The diesel filters worked just the way they should and you also reacted promptly to the warnings. No damage done.

All you need to do is fill fresh fuel from any reputed bunk and your car should run fine. At best, you can change the fuel filter for peace of mind.

If you car feels a bit sluggish you can run a tankful with System D fuel additive.
Old 31st July 2016, 01:01   #247
BHPian

Dear Innova Crysta owners.
I have shortlisted the Innova Crysta Vx model. I have a question related to the warranty. The vehicle comes with a default 3 year 1lakh km warranty. The sales representative informed me that it can be extended by another 2 years by paying around Rs. 20,000 for 1 lakh. This is where I am confused - Does it mean that I will get a warranty for 5 years and 2 lakh km or 5 years and 1 lakh km. The sales representative is not giving me a direct answer. He tells me he needs to get back to me. I have around 3 interactions on this topic and have not yet received a convincing reply. Can some shed some light on this.

I also need advice - the car will be used for regular running (avgerage of 60km to 80km a day and occasional long distance) and for personal use only. Should I take up the extended warranty at time of purchase or can I take it up at a later stage?
Old 31st July 2016, 05:24   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed5579 View Post
Dear Innova Crysta owners.
I have shortlisted the Innova Crysta Vx model. I have a question related to the warranty. The vehicle comes with a default 3 year 1lakh km warranty. The sales representative informed me that it can be extended by another 2 years by paying around Rs. 20,000 for 1 lakh. This is where I am confused - Does it mean that I will get a warranty for 5 years and 2 lakh km or 5 years and 1 lakh km. The sales representative is not giving me a direct answer. He tells me he needs to get back to me. I have around 3 interactions on this topic and have not yet received a convincing reply. Can some shed some light on this.

I also need advice - the car will be used for regular running (avgerage of 60km to 80km a day and occasional long distance) and for personal use only. Should I take up the extended warranty at time of purchase or can I take it up at a later stage?
I am yet to get information on the extended warranty from Toyota. But the SA told me that
- it is for 40k km / 2 years after the regular warranty expires. (1,40,000 km/ 5 years) She was fairly clear & certain about this
- She also said you can take the decision to go for an extended warranty anytime during the 3 years, provided you have maintained the car according to schedule

Whether it is worth it - if you do less than 30k km in a year, it is certainly worth it. Much more peace of mind & I think 20k is worth that.

Please be aware that the extended warranty typically has slightly different riders (not everything covered in warranty is included) and has strict pre-conditions like maintenance cycle. They will happily take your money but might put up a fight when there are large claims (there is a recent story in t-bhp re a Punto). Toyota might be different but I doubt it.

I am yet to receive the documents for extended warranty so I do not know the fine print. Will let all know if I find out differently.

drive_angry:

Do not panic. I think your engine is fine and, yes, you have been diddled by someone putting in adulterated fuel. The fuel filter has done its job.

Water in diesel is not a contaminant issue - it is a chemical issue. Water contaminated fuel becomes dark over time due to a chain reaction. So, if you got to clear fluid at the service station, you should be fine. Your approach re dumping the fuel & changing the fuel filter is correct & sufficient in this instance,IMO. I am not a great believer in the efficiency of service stations- their 'service' is more likely to cause harm than the probability of any more water being in the line. If you want, as a matter of abundant caution, do the fuel pump draining thing every night until you have topped up the tank a couple more times.

That said, this is not a characteristic of Diesels but of the fuel station. I normally go a bit out of my way to go only to COCO stations but I understand that it might not be always possible. I ask locals and preventively fill ahead. If all else fails, on the highway, I go fill in large stations where lorries fill - they have repeat customers & hence are reliable.

But, of course, you can still get diddled due to the luck of the draw.

Question to all

I have a Thule roof rail & box & wanted see if it fits directly on the Crysta. It does & does not. Anybody know what the settings are for getting the footer at the right place, or failing which, how one finds the correct fit?

Basically, the footer rubber & the tongue seem correctly shaped to grip the Crysta roof. What is needed is to find the correct spacing, front & back, for where the post is set on the rail. I have mailed Methods & Thule themselves about 4 days ago but no reply yet.

Thule has some numbered markings on the underside of the rail on both sides and you basically move the post to the same number on LHS & RHS (think it was at 38 for the Innova). Want to know what the setting is for the Crysta, which is slightly bigger.

I measured the distance between the 2 roof lips (46") but if I set it at 46 on the rail, it is too big. I got to about 42 but it is still too wide. Want to know if there is any reference to what the number should be for Cryta (Front & Back) or if I am doing it by trial & error, how much play I should allow for the tightening of the rail by screwing in the tongue. That moves the post a bit and I want to know how much I should allow for it.

Thanks.

Last edited by sridhu : 31st July 2016 at 05:44.
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:13   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Price list of add-on accessories for the Innova Crysta from a Toyota dealer in Mumbai.

Among other stuff you can add to your Crysta, there is also a special Rat Applicant add-on for 1500 bucks!

Also, the car colour is listed as "Black"!

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160722_125325.jpg

Pic courtesy Akash @ TAI.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 14:59   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Price list of add-on accessories for the Innova Crysta from a Toyota dealer in Mumbai.

Among other stuff you can add to your Crysta, there is also a special Rat Applicant add-on for 1500 bucks!

I am not quite sure about the mystery black colour in Innova. I am very sure that I saw an Innova Crysta in black in Whitefield, here in Bangalore. Though I have not taken picture, I am very sure of what I saw. Now is this some demo only version or is it actually available for sale?
Old 4th August 2016, 16:50   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Would anyone here know what exactly 'Rat Applicant' is?. With monsoons in full swing, rat menace will be as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am not quite sure about the mystery black colour in Innova. I am very sure that I saw an Innova Crysta in black in Whitefield, here in Bangalore. Though I have not taken picture, I am very sure of what I saw. Now is this some demo only version or is it actually available for sale?
I saw a black Innova Crysta being delivered when I went for PDI. Black really look exquisite when its shiny and clean and hence caught my attention. I asked my sales representative about the black color, He said, it does come in black but in bulk order. Since was not interested in black I didn't bother to ask further.

IMHO black looks classy and for the people who loves to wax and polish the ride shine everyday, black color is truly rewarding.

drive_angry
Old 4th August 2016, 22:19   #252
BHPian

Got to drive the Innova Crysta today and was really impressed with the way the vehicle go going! What a big improvement from the previous gen car!

Was very impressed with the relatively light clutch and wonderful engine response. The only grouse I could find was the steering adjustment! It was just way too low! Even after the seat being set to the lowest, my hands were brushing the thighs when negotiating a tight turn. I stopped twice to see if I could push the steering up a bit! Did anyone else notice this??
Old 4th August 2016, 23:27   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
The only grouse I could find was the steering adjustment! It was just way too low! Even after the seat being set to the lowest, my hands were brushing the thighs when negotiating a tight turn. I stopped twice to see if I could push the steering up a bit! Did anyone else notice this??
Did you try the different driving modes? Crysta is a different animal in power mode.

I am 6"2' and a proud Crysta owner. I have set driver seat as high I can and steering wheel as up as I can, no problem whatsoever. Did you try adjusting the steering wheel? Crysta's steering wheel can be adjusted for reach and height.

drive_angry
Old 5th August 2016, 08:23   #254
Senior - BHPian

Had an incident occur day before on my Crysta.

Parked it underneath an electric transformer. Went inside and heard a loud bang a few seconds later with some sparking. I did not realise it would have something to do with my car !

The electrician came inside and was speaking to the building owner when he mentioned that a car parked underneath suffered damages and I rushed out.

Saw the car covered with electric sparks remains ( think fire cracker residue ).

Anyways it was all over the car. I wiped it clean and to my surprise everything came off the car. The car had been waxed recently.

BUT the windscreen has suffered about 15-20 small chipped craters. As tiny as 1 or 2 millimeters radius.

I took the car to toyota and they gave me an estimate of 16000.

I came back home and got the car washed and the damage to the windscreen was reduced even further.

However I am contemplating whether -

1/ Get this changed under insurance.
2/ Get it changed from my pocket.
3/ Take it to Windscreen experts and see if they can buff the surface. The penetration is hardly there and invisibile to the naked eye.
4/ drive it as it is and see. But I fear it may crack if under direct sunlight.

I cannot post pictures as it is hardly visible.

The body & paint is top notch by the way. Cannot digest that sparks fell on the car and the paint nor the body was affected !!

I shudder to think if this would have fell on me had I exited the car a few seconds later.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:31   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
3/ Take it to Windscreen experts and see if they can buff the surface. The penetration is hardly there and invisibile to the naked eye.
When you have experts like them, why not take their opinion and help? They would also be in a better position to suggest if it needs a change and whether it will prove hazardous in the long run [or not]

I had very tiny scratches in windshield and I am buffing it, if I had someone who dealt with windscreens, my pain would be a lot lesser.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks