Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 11:23   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

I had a longish test drive of the Tucson with my family y'day. Initially, I did not consider the Tucson as it was above my budget of 20lakhs. But, with my options becoming more limited and hearing of huge discounts, I thought of giving this a try.

Here are my impressions -
Exteriors - The car looks stunning, period. It may be shaped more like a crossover than a butch SUV but the proportions are perfect giving it presence, sophistication and a planted stance. The dual barrel headlights, the 18" wheels make it looks imposing and sophisticated. My family instantly liked it

Interiors - The car is very spacious and the panoramic sunroof makes it feel even more spacious. But the overall design and materials don't make it feel luxurious or premium. I did not feel a huge step us from the Creta considering the price which was disappointing. The interiors are mostly beige. I would have liked a little more use of black or darker colors. As per the brochure, everything is leather but the leather quality seemed suspect at places like the armrest.

Driving position - WIth all sorts of electric seat adjustments, the driving position is very nice. Also, you sit higher that gives you a commanding view of the road. Overall, everything feels ergonomic and easy to reach. I was able to get comfortable behind the wheels in no time. There are no memory seats available tough.

Rear seat - As mentioned, there is loads of space in the rear. Also, the rear seat can be inclined and the range for the incline is really impressive. So,someone can recline it all the way back and take a nice nap. But, the seat base is set low and the windows are high. So, the rear passengers will not get a good view of the road from the front or side. The thigh support is also not great. There are rear AC vents but no 12V socket or USB ports for the rear passengers (cars from 2-3 segments lower are having these features nowadays). Overall, mixed feelings about this

Performance - I have less experience with automatics. However, this car is no doubt very powerful and the gearbox is pretty responsive. I needed a slightly heavier push on the pedal to wakeup the gear box but post that, it really moves fast. The refinement is also very good and you hear the engine noise only when pushed hard but that too is not an issue. When compared to the Compass, the engine refinement is clearly a level or two better and it felt faster as well.

Ride quality - This was the worst part of the test drive experience and turned out to be the deal-breaker. I think this is due to the large 18 inch wheels and lower profile tyres. Even over moderate bumpers, the ride is extremely harsh. So, you need to really slow down else your back is really going to suffer. Over bigger bumps and potholes, you will feel every undulation and jerks. On the same road, the Compass and Octavia just flided over. Even my kid and wife complained of the ride quality. There is no way I could have spend >25 lakhs on a car when everyone is complaining about the ride quality. And coming from a Jazz which does not have great ride quality, this is probably my topmost requirement.

Handling - I think it handles well for a SUV. The steering is light but not like the scary lifeless vague Hyundai steering of yester-years. I felt confident driving the car, changing lanes and taking turns. However, being a SUV/crossover with a high center of gravity, it does have its limitations. I took a turn at a higher speed (just like you do in a hatchback and sedan) and though the car stayed stable, the rear passengers started complaining Nothing against the car, just the law of physics I guess. The Compass is a better handler I feel, but marginally. Nobody should really complaint about the handling of the Tucson, when considering a SUV of this segment.

NVH - I feel this is a very important factor when buying a car of this segment, as it adds to the luxury/premium feel. I think the NVH is excellent - hardly any noise from road, wind or engine. This is clearly a USP of the car and again, a league above the Compass.

Features - I think this is a hit and miss. There are some really nice features like - panoramic sunroof, hands-free tailgate (really nice), electric parking brake. At the same time, there are some basic features missing like rear USB ports or a 12V socket . Also, no TPMS, no ventilated seats, no heat insulating glass, no rear sunshade etc. Also, the LEd headlights are reserved only for the top variant (not available in 2WD for diesel) which pushes the cost up further. Other variants get halogen projectors, which is disappointing at this price.

ICE - The ICE comes with all basic features along with Android Auto/carplay. However, the unit looks outdated with poor resolution and colors, clearly looks a generation older. Also, the way it is integrated with the dashboard feels mundane and outdated and somewhat out of place in a car of this segment. The sound quality is okay - it goes pretty loud and didn't break at louder volumes but bass is clearly lacking

Safety - nothing to complain about. It comes with all necessary safety features and feels solidly built.

Value for money - I think it is overpriced. But, there are huge discounts on offer. I was offered 2.5 lakhs discount without negotiations and I am sure you can get more (3-4 lakhs possible). WIth such discounts, it makes the car decent value for money.

I have decided to opt out though the car clearly has its strengths. The harsh ride quality and somewhat outdated interiors were deal breakers for me. I would have compromised on the interiors but the ride quality can't be compromised. I can't imagine what the ride quality would be with even lower profile tyres as some BHPians are going for.

I think the Tucson needs higher profile tyres with 17" wheels and a slightly softer suspension to sort out the ride quality issues. Also, the interior dashboard and ICE needs some refresh to make it an almost perfect SUV/crossover in the D-segment
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:28   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Ride quality- This was the worst part of the test drive experience and turned out to be the deal-breaker. I think this is due to the large 18 inch wheels and lower profile tyres. Even over moderate bumpers, the ride is extremely harsh. So, you need to really slow down else your back is really going to suffer. Over bigger bumps and potholes, you will feel every undulation and jerks. On the same road, the Compass and Octavia just flided over. Even my kid and wife complained of the ride quality. There is no way I could have spend >25 lakhs on a car when everyone is complaining about the ride quality. And coming from a Jazz which does not have great ride quality, this is probably my topmost requirement
I have spent 5,000+ kms on the Tuscon, would suggest to check out its inflated air pressure.

I think that is one suspect if you continue to consider it.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:31   #408
Senior - BHPian

I thought so as well, will check it once more next week. The car is otherwise a worthy consideration in this segment
Old 24th September 2019, 17:57   #409
BHPian

Was in a similar situation in April-2019 and here is a short write-up.

My first SUV : A 2019 Hyundai Tucson ​GL Diesel Automatic in Star Dust
===============================================

Finally the time came when I started feeling I had enough of careful/stressful driving over broken roads and humps, after ~10 years of driving my Civic (ownership thread here (Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved)). Was pretty sure its an SUV this time to suit Indian roads better and didn't look at sedans at all.

Requirement:

Started looking out with the following set of requirements.

1. Urban SUV - to take on Indian roads with less stress

2. Powerful engine - always driven petrol, wanted to try diesel's torque

3. Traditional/TC Automatic transmission - No CVT(too sluggish for me), No DSG(long-term reliability concerns)

4. Complete safety package

5. Low maintenance and high reliability (3 big Germans ruled-out)

Options:

So shortlisted the following.

1. Renault Duster: Outdated IMHO, so a big NO.

2. Nissan Kicks: No automatic option, didn't like the design

3. Mahindra XUV-300: Felt too new and needs to be time-tested

4. Mahindra XUV-500: Felt too huge and didn't like interior quality much

5. Hyundai Creta: Perfect size, no top-end automatic. For a while I was ready to get SX(0) Executive, Manual Transmission (automatics cant beat the fun of stick shift!).

6. Honda CR-V: Inferior diesel engine + CVT kept me away. Ofcourse price too.

7. Hyundai Tucson: Had seen it in early 2018 when safety features were present in GLS only and was pricey. While talking about Creta, just asked the sales guy about Tucson. He said all safety features are available in GL itself. Thats when I started evaluating it seriously. Called for a TD but the vehicle was not available with the dealer. Finally my BIL found a dealer who had a demo vehicle. Took the TD of Diesel Auto GLS 4WD and felt its worth giving a try if there is a good deal/discount.

8. Used BMW-X1 (last generation with RWD): Found a couple of them but was a bit concerned about its maintenance as they were almost out of warranty/maintenance package.

9. Used Audi-Q3: Didn't find any good 35-Quattro in my budget

10. Used Tucson: Found a 2 year old Tucson Diesel Auto on OLX. I didn't like the color, so was a bit slow in deciding and it got sold by then.

I have never owned a Hyundai as I always thought Hyundai engines and driving dynamics are far too inferior. Over the last decade, I developed some respect for their fit-and-finish and overall quality/reliability/packaging. But after driving the Tucson Diesel Auto, I realised Hyundai has improved quite a lot in everything except driving dynamics! With that compromise for a family SUV I decided to go for it.

Decision:

​So its a 2019 Hyundai Tucson ​GL Diesel Automatic in Star Dust :-) It came home on 3rd April and has done about 4700km till now.

What I liked:

> Exterior design
> Awesome torque and refinement of the R 2.0 engine
> Excellent NVH
> Excellent fit and finish (overall)
> Neat engine bay
> Smooth automatic (though sluggish compared to DSG's, its tuned well for the engine)
> Excellent safety kit
> Simple layout of dashboard (started linking it after I bought, especially coming from the Civic!)
> Alloy design
> Touch response of HU and bluetooth integration is neat and clean
> Turning radius
> Doors(overall build) feel quite sturdy and robust (still short of european rivals though)
> Roof lining is quite good
> Puddle light and wing mirrors open when the key comes in proximity. Cool.
> Rear seat is really for 3 with proper roof mounted 3 point belt
> Organ-type A-pedal (similar to Civic)

What I don't:

> NEXEN tyres - not sure about its grip levels (haven't tried hard yet)
> HU + Speakers is a big let down for me. The Arkamys can't make up for the lack of audio processing in the HU. Speakers are reasonable. Main issue I think is it just reproduces the content without much processing. If the source is good, it sounds a bit better than average, else its muffled and lacks basic sound stage. Speakers seem good for mids and highs, but bass is muddy. Radio reception is a bit choppy. My Civic had a better stock HU + Speakers.
> Front parking sensors missing in GL trim.
> Fuel lid is made of plastic
> MID screen is a generation old!
> Junk wipers, they do the job but not at this price range
> Plastic quality of key fob not good (thin plastic)
> Toolkit in the boot is not arranged in a thermocol mould (like in Civic)
> Steering (wanted to take it off from my Civic and retrofit :-))
> Knobs on dashboard needs to be little more upmarket. They need to be slightly more loaded. But buttons are very nice and tactile.
> Mud flaps needed to be a bit longer
> 17in wheel would have suited our roads more. Broken roads would shake up the occupants at low speeds. But handling is quite good for its size.

Add-ons:

> 3D Kagu Maxspider mats from Car Shringar (Contact: Akshay)
> Orbiz German IND plates
> Vinyl wrap in black (mostly Satin) for the roof (yet to come!)

Dealership experience:

Got it from Advaith Hyundai. So far this has been the worst experience of buying a car in my life. This is my first Hyundai car and I have had excellent and memorable experience so far with other brands. I bought their premium car but they sold it like a Maruti 800, no customer care. Maruti does a better job at selling their Alto. The sales guy, supposedly well experienced and senior, sold the car as if he is loaning his personal car to me and doing me a favor :-)

Post delivery, I got a call from them the next day. As I was driving, I asked them to call me later. They never called me again! So far they have not taken any feedback on my buying experience. Same thing happened with Hyundai also. They have not called me again after the phone got disconnected while I was giving my feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson : Official Review-img_20190330_132100__01.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson : Official Review-img_20190405_125355.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson : Official Review-img_20190405_125406.jpg  

mkc15 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 09:06   #410
BHPian

I have been reading about an updated Tucson in 2020. I am quite surprised to hear about the harsh ride quality, this is certainly a deal breaker. I thought that Hyundai would have figured out India by now, does not seem to be the case. Even the creta while not great is certainly not harsh.

I have been thinking of a change from my xuv for the exact same reason I.e. family complains on long drives. Wanted to upgrade and was considering the Tucson, now I won’t after reading some of the feedback on this forum.
Old 28th September 2019, 14:35   #411

So we decided to buy a second Tucson for our family. We had our last Tucson (Petrol, GLS) last year – a couple of months before they launched the latest trims with panoramic sunroof and wireless charger etc. Since my family is very happy with the car, we decided to take the plunge once again, although I did consider Jeep Limited edition as well.

We booked the Petrol GLS once again, just different color of course. Got a good bargain deal, given the latest car sales slump and all. We made the booking on 12th Sept and yet till date (28th September), the dealer/SA has no clue on the allocation of the car or its engine chassis/VIN. I find this odd, considering the fact that last year we had two weeks wait between booking to delivery (it was a different dealer) and it was a smooth experience.

Considering that Tucson is not sought after like Creta and all, I find it odd that there is no information on car allocation even after full 2 weeks (by now I was expecting delivery!). I am almost ready to cancel this order, frustrated by this experience and the reasons given to me my SA - that they have no information from the Chennai plant yet but most likely it will be clear next few days (this has been said couple times before, so..)

Should I be worried on this odd delay in car allocation? is it because they (HMIL Chennai) have limited parts etc to get a car manufactured??? Any experienced suggestions/thoughts on this matter are highly welcomed. And thank you all.
Swissflag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 17:07   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I have been reading about an updated Tucson in 2020. I am quite surprised to hear about the harsh ride quality, this is certainly a deal breaker. I thought that Hyundai would have figured out India by now, does not seem to be the case. Even the creta while not great is certainly not harsh.

I have been thinking of a change from my xuv for the exact same reason I.e. family complains on long drives. Wanted to upgrade and was considering the Tucson, now I won’t after reading some of the feedback on this forum.
Don't take it wrong. For its weight (~1500kgs) suspension needs to be on the stiffer side compared to a sedan. Compared to a sedan, SUVs tend to pitch and roll more due to CG being higher. However, its not a deal breaker IMO. XUV has more body roll. That way Tucson is more car like than SUV in terms of ride and handling. Take TD and then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissflag View Post
Should I be worried on this odd delay in car allocation? is it because they (HMIL Chennai) have limited parts etc to get a car manufactured??? Any experienced suggestions/thoughts on this matter are highly welcomed. And thank you all.
I think they probably dont have stock and is probably getting manufactured against orders. For me also, Hyundai built a new one in 10days after I booked. VIN was allotted after 12days or so. Check with your dealer whether they have stock or not.

Last edited by SDP : 30th September 2019 at 11:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 17:20   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
I think they probably dont have stock and is probably getting manufactured against orders. For me also, Hyundai built a new one in 10days after I booked. VIN was allotted after 12days or so. Check with your dealer whether they have stock or not.

That is exactly what my sales representative told me. I was just taken aback by this delay - but perhaps indeed that is the reason for delay. I was more worried that this delay should not end up me owing a car with sub-par part/equipments (I am sure Hyundai has QI).

Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 17:30   #414
BHPian

Quote:
I was more worried that this delay should not end up me owing a car with sub-par part/equipments (I am sure Hyundai has QI).
Thanks
No thats not possible. Infact fit & finish and overall build quality of Hyundais has surpassed that of current Hondas IMO.
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:41   #415
BHPian

Hello to all the wonderful people here. I have a Tucson diesel 2018 model. She runs butter smooth. But recently I have noticed whenever the chassis is under torsion ( let's say when I drive into my garage, there's a small inclined slope and I have to approach the slop at an angle. This is where the chassis is under torsion), the car makes creeping noise. I took the car to the dealer workshop. The doors were adjusted. The problem wasn't solved. Later they found that the Sunroof was the culprit. And was fixed.
After driving a few more kilometers, the noise re-appeared. It does make rattling noise when driven on badly patched roads and uneven surfaces.

Now my questions are:
Is this a serious issue?
Are there other owners who are facing the same issue?
If the issue is serious, do I need to contact Hyundai directly?
Old 4th October 2019, 12:42   #416
BHPian

I'm comparing Tucson gl diesel and Seltos gtx+ TC. Price difference is about ~7 lakhs.

Is the extra money for Tucson worth it?

Tucson vs Seltos : extra space, bigger engine, 3 years service, but BS4, older interiors, no sunroof

We're a family of 3 with addition on the way soon!

Last edited by Logan2007 : 4th October 2019 at 12:43. Reason: Added details
Old 4th October 2019, 12:47   #417
BHPian

Engine is much better but i am starting to think its not worth it with lesser features. New Elantra is already out with updated features so better to wait or go with Seltos.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:56   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Now my questions are:
Is this a serious issue?
Are there other owners who are facing the same issue?
If the issue is serious, do I need to contact Hyundai directly?
Doors are indeed culprits. I had this issue with my qualis and got it resolved with a Door setter in Bangalore(Specifically, Dickey Door was the culprit in Qualis, since it is the most "pulled" door during "Torsion" due to Gravity). He undertakes only Door Setting and an expert.

Your description "Sound reappears when run on Bad patches" matches the symptom. It is the doors issue only, in my opinion.

My suggestion is to look for door setting experts outside of dealership.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 14:22   #419

Which of the following SUVs should be bought, keeping in mind rear seat comfort (preferring silky smooth ride; for my parents) and minimal body roll (basically the rear seat comfort of a comfortable sedan) [Current car: Hyundai Neo Fluidic Elantra 1.6 CRDi SX AT, with an amazing rear seat comfort]:

1. Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT (body-on-frame)
2. The soon to be launched Hyundai Tucson facelift Diesel AT (monocoque)
3. The 2021 next generation Hyundai Tucson (monocoque)
4. Kia Sorrento (to be launched in 2020-2021) (monocoque)
5. Kia Telluride (to be launched in 2020-2021) (monocoque)
6. Hyundai Santa Fe (if at all it is re-launched in India) (monocoque)

The second row seat of Toyota Fortuner sucks, plus Fortuner has a lot of body roll. I never sat in an Endeavour. But I imagine it wouldn't be much different than Fortuner. I want it for my parents. They should seat in utmost comfort on the second bench.
ankurkundan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 16:30   #420

Quote:
That is exactly what my sales representative told me. I was just taken aback by this delay - but perhaps indeed that is the reason for delay. I was more worried that this delay should not end up me owing a car with sub-par part/equipments (I am sure Hyundai has QI).

Thanks

So a quick follow up on purchasing our second Tucson -

We were issued the VIN on 4th Oct, a good 20 days after paying the booking amount (12 Sept). I was assured that the car is now in dispatch and will arrive quickly to the dealer. I was expecting delivery just by now (sales docket mentioned 1 month max delivery time). Now the SA keeps telling me he does not know where the car is, in dispatch and when it is going to arrive in their stockyard! He kept saying its Navmi and now Dusshera so Chennai plant is closed and we cant know where the car is. If its a holiday, I certainly hope transporter didnt take the car home with him and wait until its working days again.

I find it amusing that a 25l car is traveling without any tracking whereas I can track a parcel worth 250 INR on Amazon! Everyday I keep hearing same response on no tracking and finally I was told it will arrive "probably" by 20th Oct. A good 5 weeks since ordering!

My wife is fed up with the SA attitude and told him that we simply want to cancel now and get the refund (-3000 INR deducted from booking amount). He said it will not be possible now since the car has a VIN and allocation (whatever that means).

My question to all you good folks:

1. Is this a delay which seems acceptable? I mean its not Creta where people wait upto 2 months. Its a car which is barely sold in market. And 2 weeks of time to arrive to dealer in New Delhi (not remote location) from Chennai!
2. Can we cancel the car now? TBH, I am fed up with regular calls to the dealer. This whole experience has been troubling with no clear answers. If what the SA said is true, then what if the car has some defect or something I notice during PDI! Am I obligated to accept such a car?

Thanks you all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks