Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 09:29   #4456
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Here are a couple of videos showcasing Jeep Compass Trailhawk's off road capabilities with some modifications to suspension and tyres. Compass is rare car which has decent offroad capability with excellent highway manners.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2023 at 09:13. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. No acronyms please. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2023, 13:31   #4457
Senior - BHPian

Replaced my tyres on the Jeep Compass Trailhawk at 52.8K KMs. Stuck to stock size of 225/60/17

Bought the Continental Cross Contact AX6. Found them to be very impressive for highways considering its thread pattern can be used for mild off roading too.

Drove on the Continental Cross Contact AX6 yesterday. Did around 230 kms.
Must say was very impressed with the tyres.
Tyre pressure set at 35 psi all 4.
Tyre noise creeps in at around the 100 kmh and stays till 120 and then magically disappears at higher speed. I guess the higher wind noise may have masked it. Honestly the tyre noise is negligible.Light music or even a conversation with a co-passenger and you wouldn’t notice. For the thread pattern it has, this is very acceptable.
The grip levels are excellent and the ride is cushy.
Potholes are dealt with very well and you hardly hear the car thud over them. In High speed corners/bends the grip was really good and never felt any loss of control. Braking was also very good and no drama when you hit the brakes hard.
Considering these tyres will be able to do some mild off roading it is more than capable of fast and comfortable highway runs. Overall much better than the Stock Falkens. I am guessing this tyre maybe slightly heavier than the stocks so would not recommend upsizing.
Any one wants the off road/ highway balance, this will be a good choice. If you need just highway tyres with no off road focus the Conti Contact Sport 5 which I am running on my Mercedes continues to be the Gold standard for me.
Will try and do some mild off roading this week and then report.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3936.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3935.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3934.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3933.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3924.jpeg  

Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 10:50   #4458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I have a doubt regarding using one of the two USB ports at the front (one type C port and one type A port) for powering the dashcam.

In case I use one of the ports for the dashcam and the other to connect the phone for CarPlay, is there a possibility for the head unit to get confused by recognising the dashcam as a media source?

Inputs from Compass owners who power the dashcam this way would be very helpful.

No, it doesn't. USB has many protocols to recognise different kinds of inputs and outpits. The dashcam is connected through - only power delivery option

I havey dash cam getting power from rear USB port or the cigerette lighter. It doesn't mess with my Android auto connection which is either wireless or through the USB port in front.

Yes, charging speed reduces if any other port is also being used. I feel, the total output power is shared between all the ports available in the car. Even if you are using the back port to power the camera, the charging speed of phone connected through the port in fronr, reduces.
Old 2nd November 2023, 15:26   #4459
SDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

However, i disagree with your comment that the Compass is a “hatchback on stilts” and its a “highway car”. I have been to some Jeep events conducted by the Bangalore Jeep Club and I have seen the Compass do some really great stuff off-road and Im not talking just about the Trail hawk version. I know the Compass is originally based on the Fiat 500x platform, but its capabilities have to be acknowledged and given due. I mean, we call cross overs like the Creta, Seltos as Cross overs stating that they have no real 4x4 and when a car like the Compass gets it and does demonstrate fair amount of off-road ability we then call this too a “hatchback on stilts”. I mean, whats not then, right? By this logic, how do we classify a Fortuner 4x2? Many monocoque cross overs have 4x4 capabilities and are fairly capable off-road.
Fully agree with you @Motorworks. Compass is definitely a class apart from Creta, Seltos, and the likes. Branding it as a soft-roader or highway car like CR-V would be a mistake. The 4x4 Compass is a capable off-roader and can do a fairly good job. It is certainly not a hatchback on stilts. Even the 4x2 version has good handling and can manage where a typical cross-over fails at.
SDO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 20:46   #4460

This being my first post / reply after joining this elite forum. I have put my ddpai mini car dash camera with USB cable in the front USB port and not hardwired the same. However, when my battery gave away within two years after my purchase of Jeep Compass, I went to Tapan Jeep Solan for a check up (the auto start-stop function had stopped working). After a few computerised checks, I was told that electricity was being drawn by this ddpai mini dash cam even when the ignition was off, which should not be as all USB ports are inactive once ignition is off. So they advised me to connect the cam to cigarette lighter port at the rear as that is meant for heavier electrical devices like trye inflators, vacuum cleaners etc. This report of some current being drawn by dash cam was submitted by Tapan Jeep to Jeep Headquarters at Pune before my battery was replaced within warranty. So you may take your call accordingly for hardwiring or connecting through USB port / cigarette lighter port as advised.
Old 9th November 2023, 14:44   #4461
BHPian

Need help. I acquired a used 2017 Jeep Compass Limited diesel last year at roughly 55k. The car had a few niggles which were sorted by repairing - the AC heat exchanger, overused clutch, and new tyres. The car dutifully ferried me for another 20k without a hitch.

I had a minor scare with electronics malfunctioning, loss of power in the steering, and fuel cutoff to the engine, which was promptly corrected by the Jeep Chandigarh workshop. They identified the reason was a loose bus connection ECU to the engine.

I beached the car over an open manhole while commuting to the office in Delhi. The aforementioned problems returned*en masse. I had to tow the car to a private workshop, the electronics malfunction flare was temporarily put to rest, however, the malfunction returned while driving back home a week later. The car was sent back to the workshop and the cause identified was a fused capacitor in the electronics box as well as the wiring having an exposed section which was shorting the circuits causing ECU to shut the car down. After almost 3 weeks of maintenance, the car was returned to us and ran for a month without problem before resurfacing again with one additional problem. The start-stop button could only start the electronics but would not switch off the car. The car as we speak is in the workshop again and I am looking now for additional solutions to this problem.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th November 2023 at 15:21. Reason: spacing for readability
Old 9th November 2023, 22:39   #4462

Hi All,
Could anyone help me with the escalatory matrix for Jeep India. No assistance from stellantis service email and customer care numbers. Pl share if anyone has it.

Thanks,
Arjun
Old 10th November 2023, 16:02   #4463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I have a doubt regarding using one of the two USB ports at the front (one type C port and one type A port) for powering the dashcam.
I have been using my 70mai A400 using that front USB-A for the past 1 year. No issues whatsoever.
Old 10th November 2023, 16:14   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
Is it possible to hardwire a dash cam in Jeep Compass? Has anyone done it yet? I'm planning to get a dash cam installed and trying to see if I can avoid internal wiring and using up the only USB port at the front.
It's possible, but I would not recommend any tampering with the electrical circuit if the car is under warranty. If out-of-warranty, you can probably give it a shot.

Love to hear from others if anyone done this in a compass. Does it have any negative impact on the life of the battery, especially the FCA one which comes with the New vehicle? I have seen past instances where the FCA battery was reported weak & gives away within couple of years. I have mine replaced under warranty in my 2nd year of ownership.

Last edited by Mr.Independent : 10th November 2023 at 16:26.
Mr.Independent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 19:59   #4465
BHPian

We have recently completed over 30,000 km and more than a year of driving our Jeep Compass. Our happy journeys wouldn't have been possible without the help of communities - Team-BHP, JWW (Jeep Western Wanderers), and DNCR Trailriders. We would like to share some of our favorite photographs from our trips. Due to large size, most of these photos have been compressed for uploading. If you are interested in any of them, please feel free to DM me for the full version, as they are available under open licenses.

Thank you very much, and here's to beautiful wallpapers of our beloved cars waiting for us while we take a break from the virtual world.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20220909_1532490101.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230529_11475601.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_11273601.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_11280101.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_11323401.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_13292301.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230820_13550101.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230804_11321401.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230820_14033001.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230820_18221901.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230820_18223901.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230827_1637250101.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_10021201.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_16581601.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_16212601.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20230914_16533701.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-100000273101.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-100005313201.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-100000685801.jpeg  

parthdmaniar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 11:14   #4466
BHPian

Dear Jeepers,

I have a Jeep Compass 4x4 2022 Model S Diesel. Couple of days back I saw the Engine check lamp coming up and therefore had to send it to ASC @ KHT Bangalore. Upon diagnosis their analysis is that due to carbon deposition in the catalytic converter, if the threshold of 45% is reached the engine check lamp shows up. I am waiting for the details as in the step by step correction process, but this looks to be quite elaborate. I am not doubting if what they are saying is inaccurate, however I am quite surprised facing this issue in a vehicle which is about- 16 months old and driven 13K KMs.

Prior to this, I used to drive the XUV 500 Diesel, never had this problem. The service guys explanation to that being, for BS6 compliance the air injectors' tolerance to carbon deposition is much reduced therefore some vehicles driven more specifically in congested driving conditions experience this.

Would really appreciate if experts could chime in or outright tell me if I am been taken for a ride here!

Any other makes facing similar situation due to BS6 compliance.

Last edited by graaja : 18th November 2023 at 11:21. Reason: Minor typo, and paragraph spacing for readability, and abbreviation
Old 18th November 2023, 11:58   #4467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Redstreak View Post
Dear Jeepers,

I have a Jeep Compass 4x4 2022 Model S Diesel. Couple of days back I saw the Engine check lamp coming up and therefore had to send it to ASC @ KHT Bangalore. Upon diagnosis their analysis is that due to carbon deposition in the catalytic converter, if the threshold of 45% is reached the engine check lamp shows up. I am waiting for the details as in the step by step correction process, but this looks to be quite elaborate. I am not doubting if what they are saying is inaccurate, however I am quite surprised facing this issue in a vehicle which is about- 16 months old and driven 13K KMs.
If the vehicle`s performance is not affected, you could take it out on a 150 km round trip and see how things turn out. Perhaps a bit of highway running should take care of it, Its a Saturday afterall.
Old 18th November 2023, 12:59   #4468
BHPian

Thanks @Kosfactor. Well I'd not be very confident on taking it on a longish drive with an Engine check light on. Then that's me, may be the way to overcome the BS6 bug is a workaround which needs a spirited drive.
To be fair to the ASC, they might be going by the book. It'd be however of my great interest to know what is it that causes this problem so specific to the BS6 vehicles. What can be done to improve this?
Old 18th November 2023, 14:27   #4469

Thank you. My post of 05 Nov 2023 above refers to the same and the advice given to me by the engineers at Tapan Jeep Solan.
Old 20th November 2023, 10:37   #4470

I had been in the market for a car(new/used) within the 10L bracket since July,2023.

I had a few pre-requisites in mind :
1. It had to be diesel. (Been a diesel nut since I fell in love with my Cruze back in 2017.)
2. It had to be an SUV.(Since I would essentially be using the car for city driving and sometimes onlong trips.)

September 2023:

Initially I was looking at the Thar ever since it was launched and I loved the car but the lack of bootspace and uncomfortable rear seating pushed me away from the car. Also I felt that I did not require a 4x4 for the kind of places I visit.

October 2023:

Then came the Thar RWD as a TD vehicle, and there I was confused again! The macho look of the car, the huge wheels, and no 4x4. I actually visited the Royal Motors showroom in Kolkata, took a couple of test drives and almost booked the car. But then again, my practical side went into overdrive, the lateral body roll and rear seat comfort and boot space issue came back into my mind. I decided not to go ahead with the booking.

Here comes the fun part.

November 2023:

I had been seeing YouTube adverts for Cars24 and Spinny while watching car reviews. My curious side was eager to find out what the fuss was about and I downloaded both the apps together.

Spinny:

The collection they had for Kolkata did not give me many choices and I moved on from it.

Cars24:

I set the filters as per my requirements and voila there was 4 options to choose from. I decided to visit the hub,which is located in the parking lot of a famous mall here.

The first an XUV300 in white, 2nd owner,some 50k kms run. TD’d the car, did not like it. I cannot point out an exact reason here but something in my gut said “NO!”.

The second was a 2018, 1.4L Jeep Compass Sport, Petrol,Black,57k run, had a lot of running damage and probably used by a young driver judging my the kind of “mods” done to the car. The car had suspension damage and probably needed an entire suspension overhaul.

The third, a 2017 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4, 75k run, repainted bumper and fender. So I thought best to steer away from the car.

And finally, a Minimal Grey 2017 Jeep Compass Longitude Diesel 2.0 MT. Immaculate condition with just a small 1” scratch on the front bumper and fused DRL bulbs. It had run 45800kms and was last serviced from the Jeep Authorised SS at 45300kms. Checked out the service record to find that the entire clutch assembly was replaced at 41000kms and was always serviced at the A.S.S. The interiors were mint, the car drove well, and it was a 2.0L Turbo. Took me back to my Cruze days.

The sales executive took me up to their office and we negotiated on the price. They said that the price was fixed by their central team and they could not do anything regarding this.

But by now I was in love with the car. I told them that I was here to buy the car but if they couldn’t come to the table for the price, I would be wasting my time there and I left.
I was waiting for the lift to arrive to the 6th floor when the sales exec came running. He asked me to come back to their office and discuss with their hub head. I went back and was taken straight to his cabin. He is a nice chap, he asked me what the issue is and I told him my problem. He told me to wait for 10 mins while he speaks to their head of sales in Gurugram. I had asked for a 60k reduction from the listed price.

10 mins came and went, I was still waiting.

Around the 15 minute mark, the manger comes out and informs me that they have agreed to reduce the price by 53k.

We went ahead with the paper work and payment and 30 minutes later everything was done. I was now the owner of Jeep Compass.

Living with this car for almost 2 weeks now and loving every single drive with it.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-f77eff29e52f4de09b2ef67d96764d16.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th November 2023 at 11:01. Reason: Inserting image inline
SamriddhoG is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks