Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 10:35   #4306
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi_dl View Post
There is still no news about re-launch of Jeep petrol engine. There is nothing in the media or social media about Jeep compass (neither discontinuation of petrol engine or relaunch). Jeep SA are also clueless (as they are always been).
Sorry, might be missing something here but what makes you think that the current jeep petrol engine is not RDE compliant? It might already be compliant as many other OEM engines were relaunched with exactly same spec (e.g., VAG engines)

The fact that current engine is getting registered still makes me feel that engine is compliant.
Old 16th May 2023, 12:13   #4307

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrip2008 View Post
Sorry, might be missing something here but what makes you think that the current jeep petrol engine is not RDE compliant? It might already be compliant as many other OEM engines were relaunched with exactly same spec (e.g., VAG engines)

The fact that current engine is getting registered still makes me feel that engine is compliant.
Thanks for your reply. So for past few days I am in constant touch with Chandigarh and Delhi Jeep showrooms and what I found out is that Jeep recently released diesel RDE compliant engine, but the petrol engine is still not RDE compliant. This is one of the reason that Jeep compass petrol is not available (or according to some SA discontinued).
Govt has allowed carmakers/buyers to get non RDE compliant engines registered if manufacturing date is prior to 1st April 2023.
Old 16th May 2023, 13:33   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. So for past few days I am in constant touch with Chandigarh and Delhi Jeep showrooms and what I found out is that Jeep recently released diesel RDE compliant engine, but the petrol engine is still not RDE compliant. This is one of the reason that Jeep compass petrol is not available (or according to some SA discontinued).
Govt has allowed carmakers/buyers to get non RDE compliant engines registered if manufacturing date is prior to 1st April 2023.
Ah- I see. I just check with my SA as well and got the same info. That petrol is discontinued. No info if it will be relaunched. Typical Jeep stuff. Honestly, only thing that prevented me from jumping in was the lethargic petrol engine. Diesel does not make sense for NCR. If (hopefully) petrol does get upgraded, I am very interested. But you never know jeep. Let’s see.
attrip2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 01:14   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
@T. Singh you're welcome
Any members have experience with removing the 80/120 km/Hr warning beep in Jeep compass face-lift? It's most annoying especially after the Remap since the vehicle hits the ton in no time.
In Chennai there is ICD Tuning. They claim that they can remove the speed beeps. Will have to leave the vehicle with them for a day or two. Cost around 15-20j
Old 17th May 2023, 03:52   #4310
BHPian

Quote:

One SA told me that they have no knowledge of new RDE petrol engines or whether Jeep will introduce it or not. Another SA told me that a new petrol engine is being tested at present and will be released soon and this could bump the price also.

Thanks
If there's a new engine on the way, I believe that it's going to be the new 1.3 turbo petrol. And that engine is going to get the 9-speed torque converter unit.

The 1.4 turbo is an old engine and the time is ripe for it to go.
tanbeamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 17:42   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbeamer View Post
If there's a new engine on the way, I believe that it's going to be the new 1.3 turbo petrol. And that engine is going to get the 9-speed torque converter unit.

The 1.4 turbo is an old engine and the time is ripe for it to go.
I have been reading that the 1.3 turbo petrol (firefly) unit is paired with a 6 speed DDCT. Like in Brazil. So that might be more likely. Agreed it is time for the 1.4 to go. Don’t know why it was retained for so long. Likely that it was locally manufactured and hence they wanted to extract the most of it.

But the big question is timing. There is no hint of when the petrol compass will be back.

In a car and bike article it is being speculated that it might be even a year before the petrol variant makes a comeback. That will be sick a downer.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/jeep...-3207232?amp=1
attrip2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:09   #4312
BHPian

It's now confirmed Petrol & Trailhawk editions of Compass discontinued and not likely to be back before the next gen launch in 2026.

Link to Autocar India piece
Bhodrolok is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:21   #4313
Senior - BHPian

^^ This is not good news for existing & prospective customers of Jeep in India!
This will impact the already dismal sales nos of Compass & Meridian!
Poor farsight & planning by Jeep India / Stellantis.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:53   #4314

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketsomani View Post
I have noticed this as well with my 1.4 Petrol Auto. Ever since it came back from the free service camp the car feels quicker on low revs, I am guessing it's either as you said remapping the gearbox or they've done some remapping for the accelerator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
It's now confirmed Petrol & Trailhawk editions of Compass discontinued and not likely to be back before the next gen launch in 2026.

Link to Autocar India piece
It seems like Jeep is planning to take exit from Indian market. It is very sad.
Old 18th May 2023, 16:09   #4315
BHPian

Slowly but surely the nails are being driven in the coffin.
Old 18th May 2023, 16:39   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Jeep India has pulled the plug on the 1.4 Turbo petrol Compass.
The Trailhawk has also been discontinued.

Source:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-sight-428212

Is Jeep headed the Fiat & Ford way?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 17:59   #4317
BHPian

Seeing so many reports of Jeep stopping the Petrol compass and with being an owner since early this year, I checked in with my SA. He told me that production of the Jeep Compass petrol will resume post September 2023 and will be with BS6.2 compliance. He usually gives me information that he is aware of, so hopefully this is true.
sparks4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 19:38   #4318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Jeep India has pulled the plug on the 1.4 Turbo petrol Compass.
The Trailhawk has also been discontinued.

Source:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-sight-428212

Is Jeep headed the Fiat & Ford way?
It's very surprising how these companies come in with a bang, become very successful with their initial offerings (compass, ecosport, duster) but then they just sit there complacent to milk it for years. Step 1 and 2 is done perfectly but where is step 3, the next gen? The duster and ecosport had basically carved out an entire segment for themselves but then they just sat there doing nothing as everyone else caught up and then overtook them.

They clearly know what the market wants and they have proven that they can deliver a competent product that exceeds expectations. So then why do they not bother to release the next generation of their products here? They must know that no matter how good their product is when it was launched, they can't just keep selling the same thing for 7 years without it being considered outdated; design, tech and drivetrain wise. The only exceptions are commercial vehicles where the buyers only consider the return on investment.

Was the initial cost of setting up factories and dealerships just too much for them to break even after 7 years? Could they not justify the cost of retooling the factories, retraining the workers and signing new vendor contracts to update their cars? Would they have needed to pump in more foreign money from their parent companies for them to do this? Was the profit from their Indian arm too less to break even after taxes? Was the cost of doing business too much after greasing the palms of politicians/officials, labour unions, dealerships etc? Was it because of the lack of infrastructure that lead to them not being able to produce or transport cars to dealerships as quickly and efficiently as they expected?

Whatever the reasons, I hope someone high up looks deeply into it. It would be easy to just scoff and say it's their own loss, that we don't need them. But these companies that already invested billions to do business here after a ton of research don't just pack up and leave unless there are very good reasons for it. If we can find those reasons, we should be able to improve our country and our economy.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:20   #4319
BHPian

I get the feeling that compass sale in India was never a priority for FCA. They mostly stayed in India focusing as a manufacturing hub for cars that are shipped to Australia and other countries i.e. with that 2.4 litre tigershark engine and selling their 2.0 turbo diesel engine to Tata and MG. That seems to be their main business in India.

They seem to have dumped the aging 1.4 multiair petrol engine for the Indian market. Since 2019 this engine was already being phased out in EU. So it might have been a case of getting rid of the unsold inventory in the case of the petrol engine.

May be this is why the Compasses sold in India kept having repeated quality issues of various kinds as FCA probably sold cars in India that would not have passed QC checks in Australia. That is why after repeated incidents of poor after sales service and breakdowns went on deaf ears. FCA is simply not committed / invested enough to improvise their after sales service and dealer presence in India.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:37   #4320
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

2023 4x4 S AT Test Drive

While I flail about on OLX for Fortuners and 9anime for Isekai all day waiting for the Scorpio, I decided to have a look at the Jeep "Chompy" Compass:

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5706.jpeg

:
  • Handling and Dynamics: This is one of the best handling crossovers this side of 40L. Enough has been said about it and it is all true. Now, if it were only rear-biased.
  • The FCA 2.0L diesel does like to rev and it is very smooth. Power delivery is linear after the turbo kick. I can never get tired of diesels.
  • The gearbox is less dog-poop than the pre-facelift Chompy. I can live with it but it will remain at the back of my head.
  • The materials, buttons, switchgear, door handles, everything is build absolutely solid. Controls have this nice heft to them. Only weak links are the wiper and indicator stalks.
  • U-Connect is nice and took 5-10 seconds to pair up to my iPhone. Similar timeframe for the OnePlus. Works flawless, nothing to complain about.
  • Suspension is very good at dealing with bad roads. Sharp potholes felt really soft and fluffy. It was gliding like driving on Korone or Luna's cheeks.
    Yes, this is way better, even than Scorpio-N and Endeavour (not that they are anywhere even close to bad to begin with - I am one of those people who find Fortuner's suspension livable).
  • I will never stop praising a 360 camera system, even if it is poorly implemented (Alturas G4). This is a good one.
  • Both front seats are powered. Who does that in this segment?
  • I like the sunroof. It is big and the controls are nice. What is also nice is the button-operated rear hatch.
  • 4WD Lock, 4 Low, Hill Descent Control, Auto-Hold, Auto-Irritate-Me, EPB, this thing is loaded.
  • Nice and soft seats. Very comfortable overall.
  • Really good A/C for a european vehicle. Especially the ventilated seats. At par with 320d/Fortuner/Swift. Slightly better than Scorpio-N (it is good) and in another dimension compared to Vento/Superb.
  • Audio system gets the job done. Very audiophile tuning (lacks bass).
  • Makes RR Evoque look like a trashcan at this price point. (Urbanmech joke?)
  • I like the way the digital instrument cluster looks and feels.
  • Sales guy mentioned that customers have upsized to 235/55R18 without issue
  • Vehicle is a looker and turns heads easily. The green looks lovely, both on screen and in person.
  • Build quality, fit and finish is really good. I daresay phenomenal and way better than my 2010 Superb.
  • It turned off when I opened the driver door in P.
:
  • The gearbox. I said it is less dog-poop but that is still dog-poop to some degree. At a certain point I needed the full output of the engine. Put my foot down all the way.
    It took 2 seconds. IT TOOK TWO SECONDS! Yeah, I can live with it but compared to this, Scorpio-N and Fortuner torque converters feel like an F1 sequential transmission.
  • No physical controls for ventilated seats. It's right there on the screen but I would just rather avoid using the screen other than for 360, navigation and music.
  • Cannot see the bonnet despite cranking seat height to the max.
  • Brakes are bad. Better than Vento but bad. Not very confidence inspiring. Scorpio/Fortuner/Crysta stopped and slowed exactly how I wanted.
  • A semi dog-poop gearbox like this could be redeemed with paddle shifters but no.
  • Does the subwoofer even work?
  • Overpriced by a couple of lacs but it is totally worth it. Hardly any cars that are not overpriced these days.
  • Ground clearance is way too low for such a nice off-roader
While not totally vetoed-out, it remains on the list alongside the Scorpio-N and used Fortuner

Here are some more pictures:

Quarter:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5707.jpeg

Rear:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5703.jpeg

Rear Quarter:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5704.jpeg

Beautiful Interiors:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5699.jpeg

Nice Seats:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5700.jpeg

Digital Cluster:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5698.jpeg

I like this view of the cluster more:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5695.jpeg

Cramped but comfortable rear. We don't complain since we are a family of short people (but Fortuner and Scorpio do feel palatial):
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5702.jpeg

Clean and functional center console:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5697.jpeg

Pièce de résistance (the lifesaver):
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5696.jpeg
Notice that the auto-irritant button is off.

Meh:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_5701.jpeg

That's it for now.
vredesbyrd is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks