Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 12:22   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
The existing power is good enough, very well compliments the chassis, though i always felt they could have higher tune for model S to make it special. Its the gearbox that needs correction along with addition of sport mode/paddle shifters to make justice to engine and chassis.
+1 to that. The foremost reason I let go of the Compass just after two years was the pathetic gearbox. It's slow, very noisy to the level of getting on my nerves and a poor performer in city traffic conditions.

It saps all the grunt of the engine and let's down the whole vehicle.

Looking at how it is used in all variants of Compass for last 5 to 8 years it's highly unlikely they will be able to tune it further. If they could they would have done it.

I find it impossible to believe that they are not aware of this issue and still don't do anything yo fix it. They simply can't.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 16:03   #4157
BHPian

Hello,

I hope the members of the community and their loved ones are safe and healthy.

I am from Mumbai, and I will be shifting to Gurugram soon. I wanted to know if there are any groups (WhatsApp & other apps) related to Jeep (or Jeep Compass) for these regions (city or state).

Secondly, I never get any notification for Jeep Trails. Does it require additional registration beyond the Jeep Life mobile application?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by navin : 1st March 2023 at 17:05. Reason: typos
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:16   #4158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
+1 to that. The foremost reason I let go of the Compass just after two years was the pathetic gearbox. It's slow, very noisy to the level of getting on my nerves and a poor performer in city traffic conditions.

Looking at how it is used in all variants of Compass for last 5 to 8 years it's highly unlikely they will be able to tune it further. If they could they would have done it.

I find it impossible to believe that they are not aware of this issue and still don't do anything yo fix it. They simply can't.
Sad to know that you had to let go of the Compass. Jeep should have used ZF8 than 9 from day 1, which is significantly better in performance. As you rightly said, cant imagine why Jeep is mum on this, atleast some s/w tweaks should help.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:21   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

When I was looking to buy my next vehicle and test drove the Compass, the lethargic auto box was the deciding factor and I didn't get the Compass. In comparision, I found the C5 Aircross gearbox much better in comparison although it comes from the same Stellantis group as Jeep.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:28   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
Hello,

I hope the members of the community and their loved ones are safe and healthy.

I am from Mumbai, and I will be shifting to Gurugram soon. I wanted to know if there are any groups (WhatsApp & other apps) related to Jeep (or Jeep Compass) for these regions (city or state).

Secondly, I never get any notification for Jeep Trails. Does it require additional registration beyond the Jeep Life mobile application?

Thank you very much.
If you are on Facebook, join the Jeep Owners (India) group. Its a moderated group and they approve your request pretty fast. There you can locate the specific admin folks who would help you get onboarded to the WA group.
I used this recently to get in to the eastern jeep group.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 09:39   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
When I was looking to buy my next vehicle and test drove the Compass, the lethargic auto box was the deciding factor and I didn't get the Compass. In comparision, I found the C5 Aircross gearbox much better in comparison although it comes from the same Stellantis group as Jeep.
I recently came across the below detailed article. This explains how the gear shift logic works for ZF's 9 speed transmission used in Compass. Also it explains how the clutches in this transmission are deployed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-on-the-leash/

Quoting from the article, to go straight to the point as it is quite lenthy to read. However, I must say you should spend some time here.

[The result is a transmission that has two distinct “feels” to its shifts, one that has only a slight torque reduction (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 8-9) and one that has a more “manual transmission” feel where torque is cut severely (4-5 and 7-8)."]

So, given that you already own one Compass, and given that, you know this logic of torque reduction, it would now be easier to align the expected outcome and accordingly you can align your throttle input to get max out of the machine. Definitely, as the article explains, the transmission lags while down-shifting. However, after I read through the article, it helped me making the shift work more efficiently for me.

One question: Does anyone know how to make the display show the current gear it is in, while driving in auto mode (i.e. not in manual override)? I own a Model S, fyi.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Also please let me introduce myself being a pretty new owner of a green colored Model S, which I got delivered a couple of weeks back, so still exploring the controls. I came from a long stint of driving Polo (1.6 MT and 1.0 tsi AT - together almost 11 yrs), definitely this car feels much sluggish, but got some positives such as higher GC and ride comfort and more space vs lesser accelerations for city drives.
d2krish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:36   #4162
BHPian

Anyone has installed a roof box in compass?
Shall appreciate any lead.
I am planning to put one as with 2 dogs and 3 adults it's becoming too tight.
Old 8th March 2023, 12:01   #4163
BHPian

As a first-time car owner, there are multitudes of learning, and I hope to document our learning as our beloved Jeep Compass crossed 10,000 km within five months of ownership.

The learnings are not technical or comprehensive, but I sincerely wish they help other members positively.

1. Requirements and research are vital; however, avoid getting lost in the negative comments online:

My two primary goals were six airbags along with a manual transmission. A few other goals were a diesel engine, 200mm+ ground clearance and 17' or larger tyre size.

I researched substantially about cars within my ~25 lakhs INR budget & test-drove four cars - Jeep Compass, Skoda Kushaq, Tata Harrier, and MG Hector. While the current threat of Jeep Compass is filled with negative comments & experiences, I sincerely empathise with the users while wishing them better service & support from Jeep India.

Unfortunately, the statistical reality of the modern social media-driven corporate world is that those with good or positive reviews seldom take the time to post them; however, given how the companies have adopted social media as a way of listening to customers as opposed to being fundamentally excellent at product and service forces the customer to post at all reputable locations.

Hence my first learning was that while negative reviews and comments provide you with knowledge, they do not offer you the correct ratio of a good v/s poor product & service.

2. Pre-Delivery inspection is necessary, but protect your heart and mind while doing it:

Here is a quick link to the PDI resources I used - 1, 2

When I went for our car PDI, I was elated, and I even hired a detailer (from whom I eventually did Llumar PPF) to help find quality issues.

I did not subscribe to the idea of "letting go of small quality issues", just as I don't subscribe to testing "beta" software of companies for free.

I said "did not" because my Jeep compass had two quality issues; initially, I had teary eyes and called up the sales associate, area sales manager and seniormost contact I had from Jeep/Landmark Mumbai. Since I had only paid 11,000 INR, I was emotionally prepared to let go of the car. However, I quickly learned that minor quality issues are plenty.

The stockyard had over 100 cars, and I found minor issues with all the seven additional cars I checked - all of which were either my option - Limited or one above "S". Further, the SA honestly stated that diesel + manual transmission in white colour is infrequent so if I did intend to let go of the piece it would take a while to get another one.

While I do not suggest overlooking quality issues, the effort v/s reward ratio is low. While it bothers me - in my humble opinion, if it is a "finishing" quality issue with the car as opposed to mechanical, electrical, or the date of a manufacturing issue, I would suggest convincing oneself.

Finally, I learned to complete the check and not stop once you find the fault. I forgot to check the car tyre's manufacturing month & year.

3. Read about accessories and stick to the OEMs:

Even though I was careful, I got different PDFs of available accessories from the same showroom. I was also told a few accessories were unavailable on the delivery date.

I learned to confirm the availability of the accessory and avoid purchasing the most expensive ones - especially the floor mat solution. For example, I paid for 7D mats only to discover that slush or 5D mats were more practical. Lastly, a few accessories, such as window blinds, are best purchased from the OEM instead of an outside one, irrespective of the cost.

Here is what I would refer to for a list of accessories I would have. (Jeep Compass : Official Review)

4. Inspect the car on delivery but remember to savour the joy of the occasion:

This is immensely subjective, and I was so engrossed and worried about not losing out on any paper(work) I completely missed out on savouring the moment. Thankfully my wife and family captured many happy moments.
Hence my learning is that if you're pedantic, go early for the paperwork; once you have them savour the moment.

5. To PPF or not:

Again an individual choice; however, i have two learnings here.

One - PPF does help & provides confidence that minor touches, especially from shrubbery on (older) highways, will not affect the paint. I also learned that pain from the factor (even if there are minor defects) is way solid compared to repainted parts.

Second - PPF on a white colour car carries an additional risk of "yellowing" (I a certain I have misused the technical term). Hence, discuss with your detailer the warranty towards yellowing along with the comprehensive warranty for the PPF.

6. Follow the engine run-in requirements and give yourself and the machine time to sync:

Jeep manual states:
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km),
speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are
desirable. I followed them diligently.

However, my learning was the acceptance of that it would take to be in sync with the vehicle. I had stalled the car for almost the first 2,000 or maybe even 3,000 km because it was in a higher gear, or I tried to up-shift precisely as per the manual.

Rest assured; you will be one with the vehicle over time, allow yourself and be gentle with the clutch until that happens.

7. Small and large bumps and minor scratches will happen:

This is the painful truth.

As careful as I am of not giving cars to valet and always parking them in our society, two minor scratches did end up on my car. I mentioned two because I paid money to replace my PPF (while the detailing shop was happy to do it for free, I didn't want that).

Hence with no fault of my own and spending 10K on replacing PPF, I could convincingly tell you from my own experience that even if you brake the car slowly, keep enough space for bikers to zoom through and never give your car to anyone else to drive, minor mishaps will happen - I wish you the strength to calmly move from them and sensibly not replace PPF/covers the way I did.

8. Respect yourself and the occupants to never get into road rage. (Trigger discipline):

I've driven cars (and my bike) for over ~60,000 km. However, while driving our car, I had severe road rage for almost ~7,000 km.

I would try to stop every person who wanted to cut lanes and face them often since I kept a car-and-half gap instead of bumper-to-bumper driving. I would honk in anger whenever someone successfully cut in front of me. It led to two things - my emotional and physiological state would boil, and I would feel exhausted and fall into a loop.

However, the wise words of a friend and my wife's constant & polite attempts finally gave me a reason to stop. It was very much with my training in trigger discipline. I realised the fundamental truth - road rage would hurt the occupants of the car and me, but it would not affect the other driver.

Now I happily allow others to cut lanes and carefully overtake from the left on expressways; even with polite horns, people never leave the "overtake" lane. I wish all drivers and riders follow traffic rules, but I still smile until then.

9. Defensive driving:

It may sound like a heavily tactical term. However, my reference is for civilian use, and this thread wonderfully encompasses everything I'd like to document. For example, I am the only driver in the family. Whenever I drive, I am focused and aware of every speeding biker coming from the rear, every impulsive turner ahead of me & everyone in the middle! Do I occasionally have to brake firmly - yes, but every time I do, I quickly do a mental root cause analysis to ensure I am aware of it henceforth. While I do wish everyone follows, lane discipline and slow vehicles are on the left-hand side - until that happens - stay frosty.

Must read: 1 (The Ten Commandments of Driving Safely)

10. Keep a log and pass it on

Finally, keep a log of your trips & if you wish, the expenses. Here is the application I use to track my fuel expenses.

Pass on the memorable places & experiences to the community - I have documented most of our trips in detail. I will be posting, taking inspiration from others who have posted, like 1, 2, and 3.

I want to thank the team-bhp community, for if it weren't for the community, I would still be lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-20220823_164437.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20220831122704_01.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-unnamed-1-.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-unnamed-2-.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20221015150059.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20220909164336.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230308-11.55.13.jpg  

parthdmaniar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 15:10   #4164
BHPian

I hope my message finds Team-BHP members and their loved ones safe and healthy.

I know Mopar (Jeep) has a self-branded one that they fit for around ~35,000 INR, which does not void the warranty.

However, could I recommend dash camera's that can be fitted and removed (hence primarily suction based) to use during long trips? I am mainly looking for a front dashcam, but a pair (covering the back) would also be excellent.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by parthdmaniar : 8th March 2023 at 15:38. Reason: added currency (INR)
Old 9th March 2023, 00:00   #4165
BHPian

Quote:

However, could I recommend dash camera's that can be fitted and removed (hence primarily suction based) to use during long trips? I am mainly looking for a front dashcam, but a pair (covering the back) would also be excellent.
Have tried DDPAI and 70MAI. Both are fine. I prefer 70MAI though. Has better features like voice commands and is more reliable overall.

On a different note, has any one tuned his / her petrol AT Compass? Have done 60,000+ kms and now I really want to get rid of the initial turbo lag. Autopsyche in Delhi claims they have tuned petrol Compass, but not getting any reviews of that or other tuning options on Team Bhp. Suggestions / feedback?
ess_a is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:33   #4166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Have tried DDPAI and 70MAI. Both are fine. I prefer 70MAI though. Has better features like voice commands and is more reliable overall.
I have used both as well. Overall interface & ease of use is better in 70Mai. However - most popular DDPAI dashcams - use Supercapacitors and not LiIon batteries (which the 70Mais tend to use). This gives the DDPAI units an edge in terms of "battery" life as well as safety under hot Sunlight if parking is open to sky. My 70Mai dashcam batteries don't last any more than 2 years at max, and those aren't exactly cheap if sourced from the OEM vendor.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:36   #4167
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you very much.
I have a 70mai dual channel rear view mirror dashcam in my Compass. It is neatly mounted on to the IRVM with two rubber straps so can be taken out and reinstalled easily. It is auto dimming also. I have added an accessory parking surveillance kit to it so that the front camera can record any hit and run events. Have been using it for over two years now and I find it a little better in comparison to the DDPAI ones I had before in terms of software stability.

Since it is not attached to the windshield it is not very noticeable from the outside, also doesn’t get heated up so much even if parked under the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-5cf7644b5dd94ee2a87ffc1cef21f5ff.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-edbb3a7531544ce5a8faa4e0a9be017e.jpeg  

Last edited by Night Raven : 9th March 2023 at 13:51.
Night Raven is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:42   #4168

Bought my compass model s 4x4 back in August 2022, its done 8000kms only and here are the issues iv’e faced so far, id advise new buyers to be vary of countless big and small faults and be ready for all the service center visits ..

Auto start stop not working
Usb ports not working
Faulty silver box screen going blank
Rattling noises from B pillars
Faulty tyre pressure monitor
Headlight not turning ON
DRL’s not turning OFF even with the car off.

The issues keep coming and the service centres will keep holding the car until they take their own sweet time to fix it.

It really starts to take a toll on you. You do not expect these things from a 36 lakh car. Existing owners pls comment
AMG23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 18:18   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
I have a 70mai dual channel rear view mirror dashcam in my Compass. It is neatly mounted on to the IRVM with two rubber straps so can be taken out and reinstalled easily. It is auto dimming also. I have added an accessory parking surveillance kit to it so that the front camera can record any hit.
Since it is not attached to the windshield it is not very noticeable from the outside, also doesn’t get heated up so much even if parked under the sun.
Curious about the rear camera performance at night. Do you get a lot of glare in rear camera feed at night ? I am looking for a dual channel cam for my Jeep Compass. Thank you

Last edited by Sheel : 9th March 2023 at 18:22. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. No acronym / short forms while mentioning car's make / model. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2023, 22:50   #4170
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you very much.
I personally use the dashcam from Viofo. I migrated the unit from my old Polo to the Compass. I installed only the front one so far in the Compass and run it from the front USB port, did not hardwire it, yet to plan the wire layout for the back camera. Viofo has an advantage that they use capacitor to store the charge instead of Li-ion batteries, eliminating any heating issues during the summer.
Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks