Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 16:56   #106
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
I didn't get a chance to take it out in the nights yet due to the ongoing Ganesh Utsav festivities at our place. I will let you know soon.
Pardon the impatience, mate. Would you have happened to take the truck out at night to see how the lights behave? Any other things to watch out for, while taking delivery?

The dealers are quoting an 8 week waiting. They have though hinted at expediting 'by exception'. The condition for that, of course, is that one buys insurance and accessories from them compulsorily.
This arm twisting unnecessarily sours the experience while buying such an excellent product. Their insurance quote is off by quite a bit, and a forced 25K worth of accessories which include floor mats and the 3 M Paint, internal panel and silencer protection.
Old 29th August 2017, 17:09   #107
BHPian

Thanks for the amazingly detailed 5 star review

As a fiat owner, I grinned all the way reading the report as compass is truly worthy of an upgrade.

Admirable characteristics retained (Fiat Compass)

1) Loads of character and attention to detail
2) Solid build (addictive thud of doors)
3) Composed ride and handling (by SUV standards)
4) Communicative steering (by EPS standards)
5) Superb styling and design

and the grouses ironed out (Jeep Compass)

1) Bigger better engine options
2) Premium fit and finish
3) Improved ergonomics (no weird driving position, ample under thigh support)
4) Smooth gearshifts
5) City friendly
6) Standard safety features

The owners habitual of cruise control, auto headlamps, auto wipers etc are going to miss them.

Auto dimming IRVM and anti glare ORVM should have been added.
What made them do this

Quote:
The wipers don't perform a delayed final sweep after some time to catch that excess water trickling down on the windshield (this delay function is found in the Punto)
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:32   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It had the alloys from the existing Longitude(o) variant, limited badging at the rear and sunroof.
He spotted that one too. Shared many pics, of which I included only a few. Here's the same car. There's also a video shared by him showing the sunroof:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170729_130701.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170729_130528.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a review. Hats off to the the immense attention to detail that was covered. I can imagine why it took so long to get this published. Worth the wait and long time spent to read through it fully.

Overall as a car the Compass is a great product. Ticks most of the boxes right and definitely getting the attention it deserves. Over the years as i moved from a Petrol Ford Ikon to Diesel Figo to XUV500 I can really appreciate the value that higher torque diesel engines bring in and would surely pay more to get an engine which gives even more power for a lower vehicle weight. Maybe a stretch but in my view the top end 4x4 is certainly so much vfm when compared against likes of Q3, X1, GLA.

What really makes a compelling case to buy this car in my mind
  • Build quality, looks
  • Diesel Engine and performance

What could be a deal breaker
  • Space, if that's a priority. XUV/Hexa would be the pick or Fortuner/Endeavor depending on budget
  • Missing 4 bags despite 22lac+ price point, may not seem that critical but at the price point it should be a standard feature
supertinu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 18:34   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
So basically whatever gripes everyone had with the variants have been provided in the export versions. I'm sure they will be made available to Indians in due course, but what wrong did we do to not at least have this as option?
Except this one, thanks to Indian laws and frequency usage criteria.

Quote:
3) Lane sensing and forward / side collision warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Maybe a stretch but in my view the top end 4x4 is certainly so much vfm when compared against likes of Q3, X1, GLA.
Original thought from Fiat was to place these as competition, and Thank god they DID NOT! atleast on the price front. Or it would have bombed big time. The brand ASPIRATION and feature list, the other cars are still leading by a good stretch for now.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 19:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Goodness Gracious!! Now that's what I call a review.
I tired myself just skimming through it, wonder how you guys that compiled it must be feeling. Must congratulate you on this epic review...
As they say, god is in the the details and this review and the vehicle have it spades.

As GTO mentioned, the fairer sex is smitten by this car, its true. My wife loves this car and so does my 5 year old. Can't wait to take a long Test Drive.

Was wondering, what speeds is the engine doing @ 100 KMPH in 6th gear. This is usually listed in all the reviews but I could not find it in this one.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2017, 19:58   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Goodness Gracious!! Now that's what I call a review.

Was wondering, what speeds is the engine doing @ 100 KMPH in 6th gear. This is usually listed in all the reviews but I could not find it in this one.

Cheers
It is there From the review: "Cruising in 6th gear, 100 km/h is seen at 1,750 rpm while 120 km/h is just above 2,000 rpm."
prkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 20:03   #113
jpm
BHPian

Fantastic Review from t-bhp, as always; yeah, no surprises there. Well done to the team.

A little part of me wanted to see this review before pressing ahead with my booking and I am now confident that my next car will be the Compass!

Meanwhile, I have some update on my booking.

I had booked mine in the first week of august and was promised a last week of August delivery. My SA then went into silence and after some pestering vaguely let it out that my preferred colour Blue may not be manufactured - let alone delivered in the next two weeks.

I smelt something fishy and managed to get my internal booking number from him to ring up FCA for an update. The toll free then

1) flatly refused to provide any info on my booking. They dont do 'tracking'.
2) mentioned that there will be no new Limited (4*2/4*4) production due to some 'manufacturing' delays for next week or so. They mentioned Limited maybe available only by end of September. Those already produced or in transit will be delivered as allotted.
(apprehensive if they may have discovered some issues with the early "Limited"s that they are hoping to fix in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed, that its only my paranoia)
3) As of now, the factory is producing only Sport/Longitude/Longitude(O) and will for the immediate future. (IMHO, a major planning blunder from FCA and this has the potential to sabotage the entire launch euphoria)

With this info from FCA toll-free, whomI feel don't have any motivation to make false statements and hence assume this info to be true. If someone can confirm what they are hearing from their respective dealers or from FCA itself, it would be great.

Due to the impending GST confusion, I am now forced to change my color preference from a 'potential' blue to a 'in transit' White Limited which I hope to have registered in the first week of September. Am hoping to have my VIN number tomorrow.

Last edited by jpm : 29th August 2017 at 20:22. Reason: clarity
jpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 20:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
2) mentioned that there will be no Limited (4*2/4*4) production due to some 'manufacturing' delays for next week or so.
3) As of now, the factory is producing only Sport/Longitude/Longitude(O) and will for the immediate future.
Well its not true. If you see the old thread of Compass, there was a Red Limited 4*4 delivered in Rajasthan.

Below's the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...5-lakhs-4.html

Last edited by nitinralli : 29th August 2017 at 20:19.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 22:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
you know how the door panels of some UVs flex when pushed (e.g. Innova)? I punched the door panels of the Compass and it still didn't flex!!!
only TBHP reviews have a "punch" test. Brilliant review, thanks to all involved.

I feel that the sunroof and cruise control are the two items most will miss at the top end spec. Maybe they bring it with the diesel automatic. Glad to see the positive review and the bookings. A worthy competitor unleashed in this segment.
Old 29th August 2017, 23:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Pardon the impatience, mate. Would you have happened to take the truck out at night to see how the lights behave?
No problem, i did take it out earlier tonight, but only for a short while within illuminated urban roads - so can't detect any obvious shortcomings. Are you concerned that the lights will be so bad that even a bulb upgrade can't fix?

Quote:
Any other things to watch out for, while taking delivery?

The dealers are quoting an 8 week waiting. They have though hinted at expediting 'by exception'. The condition for that, of course, is that one buys insurance and accessories from them compulsorily.
Ask them if they can expedite if you are flexible with the color and make the down-payment right away? In my case, i was confident i will definitely take home either the Jeep Compass or the Linea 125s, so i made payment for 4.5L right away and got my car within a week. I delayed another week to take delivery on Ganesh Chaturthi.

Quote:
This arm twisting unnecessarily sours the experience while buying such an excellent product. Their insurance quote is off by quite a bit, and a forced 25K worth of accessories which include floor mats and the 3 M Paint, internal panel and silencer protection.
The 25k worth accessories over here include a cargo mat, floor mats, interior cleaning spray, splash guard, car cover, jeep emblem, door sill guard. Most of these are though out-of-stock at the local dealer, so no point opting for them. I will see them once they are available and take.
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 23:55   #117
BHPian

Did any brave Compass owner wade out into the flooded Mumbai streets today? How did the vehicle fare with the ground clearance it has?
Old 30th August 2017, 02:41   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Did any brave Compass owner wade out into the flooded Mumbai streets today? How did the vehicle fare with the ground clearance it has?
Actually i did today, in Hyderabad. Was stuck in a pretty bad water-logged stretch for a while, didn't scratch a bit anywhere and came out comfortably, no complaints whatsoever. The road was full of pot-holes and completely submerged in water, means there is no way of knowing the undulations beneath the water. I even saw a couple of Swifts literally dive nose first into the waters with the wheels completely submerged, but managed to come out safely. The Compass didn't huff or puff.
paliontile is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 08:40   #119
BANNED

Is this the ' Mother of all Reviews '!!!
Man this is beyond the breadth of imagination.
The designers would be astonished to see a review like this and have given their attention to detail a run for their money. I'm sure even all the designers wouldn't know these many details being there in their baby!

After reading this review went to Jeep showroom in Calicut. There was hardly anything to checkout ( saved at least an hour and sales guy was surprised at my quickness! ),except for the seating comfort for driver and passengers. The ergonomics are great and the back seat is ok for 3 adults like me, I'm 6 feet tall, thin built and tips the scale at 72. So for an average family of 4 it's more than adequate.

This one is quite a looker and you can get hooked! Potentially dangerous for those who are car nuts. If I haven't been The Rationalist, I would have right away booked one. Stay away if you are fickle minded!!!

Two big drawbacks are no 6 airbag option for Automatic versions and Cruise control for any model. Too glaring to be pardoned. I think FCA is keeping these and Sunroof for a facelift somewhere in 2019! So I shall find a bohi tree somewhere and act like I'm enlightened till that time.

And to the reviewers, you guys have been cruel,as now onwards this review will be the benchmark for next car reviews and having taken our expectations this high, I guess some reviewers will be sweating at the thought of a media drive. I used to envy the job of reviewers, not anymore!!!
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 10:53   #120
BHPian

Splendid, thanks for the excellent review.

I was looking for a premium 5 seater SUV and Compass fits the bill (almost!)

Major grouses are:
1) No automatic in diesel
2) Review says that it can seat 4 + 1 child at best! Really!

The official specs of Compass states that it is wider and longer than Creta. Wonder where all the space has gone and can't fit 5 adults properly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks