Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 21:49   #1606
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
However, I cannot comment on the resale value yet. MG and Kia are pretty new to India and resale value in India has a lot of indirect factors impacting them.
Well there are a few factors why I say Kia's resale would be good. I have driven enough Kia in the US and it is a pretty popular car. Kia is sister concern of Hyundai. Kia has bet big with crores and plan to release a new car every 5 months and one of the cars would be Venue competitor. Seltos already has 60k booking which means volume sales. Refinement is great. BS6 engine. Future proof in terms of features.

IMO JC is an excellent however Fiat doesn't know how to market a good car. Big fan of the ride quality of JC, it's a drivers car for sure.

MG I cannot comment too because we don't know what next for MG and we don't know how good is MG as a brand. Kia however is an established brand infact it tops customer satisfaction in ge wof the surveys.
Old 27th October 2019, 00:32   #1607
BHPian

Have done two services so far. Both cost me 20k. What the hell. This was without even changing the brake pads. Even premium brands cost just a little higher than this for the first few services. Probably have to get it serviced at an independent service centre hereafter. I feel like I'm getting fleeced. He changed the bolts of the tires in the second service, idk why.
hrk997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 09:19   #1608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Jeep should make the Compass Hyundai like.

Variants with more bling features and less off-road capabilities, and standard automatic options for both petrol and diesel variants. With less off-road capabilities, the price should come down significantly as well.
If they did this why would anyone buy a Jeep? Everyone would just buy a Hyundai Tucson or Creta and not even consider Jeep.

Quote:
Waiting for Jeep to bring a full sized SUV with full localisation.
With the type of engineering cars like the Compass and Tiguan have, a full sized SUV will be well above price point people can afford. Today you will say waiting for Jeep to launch a full size SUV but when they do launch one at 45L, you will say more expensive and not worth it.

Quote:
Loading a small cabin car with plethora of offroading capabilities doesn't seem to be logically correct, unless the target is some niche audience.

Quality of the car and Sales experience was top notch. Appreciate Jeep for that and I really want them to do well in India.
The offroad capability, the drive quality, dynamics and build quality is what the Jeep is good for and these are what are being charged for. It is very easy to load a car with all features and bells and sell it to the market. Selling a car with good engineering, dynamics and driving pleasure which are not visible but perceived is the challenge here.

The Compass is a brilliant vehicle and I mentioned this in the trailhawk thread. I don't mind paying a premium over the Seltos, Harrier and MG Hector but Jeep has priced it way more than just a premium.

At 35L on road for the Trailhawk and close to 30L for the Limited plus, the price is 5L more than what it should be for the Compass. The MG, Harrier and Seltos are around 15-17L ex-showroom Bangalore for the top spec so Jeep should be 2-3L more than them. But charging 23L for the manual top end is just not justified.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 15:04   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
Have done two services so far. Both cost me 20k. What the hell.
Are you talking about 20K each for second and third service? If so, can you share more details on what was charged?

As per schedule, 1st service at 5K Km is free, 2nd (@ 15K Kms) and 3rd service (@ 30K Kms) costs around 10K each.
Old 27th October 2019, 16:57   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Are you talking about 20K each for second and third service? If so, can you share more details on what was charged?

As per schedule, 1st service at 5K Km is free, 2nd (@ 15K Kms) and 3rd service (@ 30K Kms) costs around 10K each.
No wait I got it wrong. We've been servicing it at every 15k km. So the service at 45 and 60k cost 20k each. I'll upload a copy of the bill later. All the usual upgrades including air filter, engine oil, oil filter etc were done. He also changed the bolts on the tire and recommended changing the battery as well.
Old 27th October 2019, 17:27   #1611
Senior - BHPian

I actually serviced a fiat grande punto at a jeep outlet and it came to 22k as well. Usual 4th year/60k service of engine oil, gear oil, coolant, (may be top up only, but claimed changing it who knows), power steering oil, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, fan belt and water pump belt change. ABS sensor on one wheel was replaced, and some ac duct cleaner which burnt my eyes when i got back my car and plastic detailing and anti-rust coating on battery terminal (just little blue spray but they charged for a whole bottle).

Also took a test drive of jeep compass diesel auto and jeep compass petrol 1.4 while at it.

Last edited by lurker : 27th October 2019 at 17:28.
Old 28th October 2019, 02:48   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I actually serviced a fiat grande punto at a jeep outlet and it came to 22k as well.
Too high. Something ain't right.

In 5 years I owned a Linea T Jet, the highest service bill I received was 11k and included most of things you listed, except for the ABS sensor and battery terminal treatment. Otherwise; the service bill was no more than Rs. 7500. 4 years is too soon for water pump belt or whatever that is. There is no fan belt so I don't know what they are talking about. It is just one single engine drive belt that runs everything (Not a fan). The fan is electric.

The air conditioning duct and blue battery terminal lubricant cleaning is a con job by these dealers. You can buy the duct cleaning cans from 3M and do it as a DIY. Keep the cabin filter tidy and the ducts stay relatively clean.

What was the cost of ABS sensor?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th October 2019 at 02:50.
Old 28th October 2019, 09:26   #1613
Senior - BHPian

ABS sensor 140₹ 😂

here is the breakup
scheduled service punto? ₹2024
rear break drum (2)594
diagnosis through fiat diagnostic tool 335
washing & cleaning 538
valugard glaze it 454
wuerth car lubrication package 505
wuerth ac disinfectant 1006
change manual gearbox oil 170
change power steering oil 382
coolant change 242
brake bleed and fluid change 365
water pump ac compressor belt tensioner (2) 552
power steering and/or self leveling suspension pump drive 340
belt disposable cover set 48
engine oil 5w-40 2112
oil filter 389
filtering element 408
air filter 235
fuel filter w/o overflow valve & sensor 1598
brake fluid syn tutela 360
pwr strg oil syn tutela 531
trans oil 1 ltr syn technyx 1188
premix coolant 1ltr paraflu 1218
windshield liquid washer 80
plug 109
consumables 250
trans belt 2307
trans belt 922
RPM sensor 148
sensor 1873

labour 7660
cgst on labour 584
sgst on labour 584
Old 28th October 2019, 09:26   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No wait I got it wrong. We've been servicing it at every 15k km. So the service at 45 and 60k cost 20k each. I'll upload a copy of the bill later. All the usual upgrades including air filter, engine oil, oil filter etc were done. He also changed the bolts on the tire and recommended changing the battery as well.
I really don't see any major part replacements for 45K service or 60K service. So, probably some wear and tear part was replaced for you.

Yes, Battery is one known issue I am seeing. It gives up very early.

Here is the standard schedule,

Maintenance Schedule:
  • Service duration is every 15,000 Kms, all components/parts to be inspected during this service.
  • Engine Oil and Engine Oil filter, replace every 15,000 Kms
  • Air filter, replace every 15,000 Kms or 1 year
  • Diesel filter, replace every 15,000 Kms or 1 year
  • Pollen filter, replace every 15,000 Kms or 1 year
  • Brake fluid, replace every 30,000 Kms or 2 years
  • Clutch fluid, replace every 30,000 Kms or 2 years
  • Timing belt drive kit, replace every 75,000 Kms or 5 years
  • Accessory drive belt, replace every 75,000 Kms or 5 year
  • Flush and replace Engine coolant, replace after 2,40,000 Kms or 10 years
  • Wheel alignment/balancing/tyre rotation, every 15,000 Kms
  • Engine Oil quantity to be replaced is 4.2 Liters (5W-30, Synthetic Oil)
Jeep Compass : Official Review-ms1.jpg

Regarding bolts, all were replaced or is it few?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Too high. Something ain't right.
All Oil replacement + Coolant replacement and all filter replacement comes around 10K. Timing chain replacements adds up to another 10K-12K. So, its does come around 20-22K for MJDs (When timing chain replacement is involved). Now the timing replacement replacement is every 90K Kms. Before it used to be 60K Kms.
arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 18:48   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Pay the booking amount first (50K I think), then the PDI and once you are happy with the PDI, go with the complete payment.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Have insisted on PDI before payment. KHT folks immediately agreed without any Qs. The car arrived in Bangalore yday, went to the yard and did a check today. Proceeding with the next steps.
Old 29th October 2019, 03:22   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All Oil replacement + Coolant replacement and all filter replacement comes around 10K. Timing chain replacements adds up to another 10K-12K. So, its does come around 20-22K for MJDs (When timing chain replacement is involved). Now the timing replacement replacement is every 90K Kms. Before it used to be 60K Kms.
10K for regular service plus coolant replacement seems higher than what it used to be 3+ years ago. Like I said earlier, service did not exceed Rs. 7500 for a Linea T Jet. When it did, it was due to the high price on the Iridium Spark Plugs and all fluids. I'll admit, we are comparing the service requirements for two very different engines.

Timing Chain replacement seems odd. A timing chain set up should last the life of the car. Unless; diesel engines have additional service requirements.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th October 2019 at 03:24.
Old 29th October 2019, 07:34   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Maintenance Schedule:
Timing belt drive kit, replace every 75,000 Kms or 5 years

Now the timing replacement replacement is every 90K Kms. Before it used to be 60K Kms.
Quote:
Timing Chain replacement seems odd. A timing chain set up should last the life of the car. Unless; diesel engines have additional service requirements.
Ideally yes, but I shudder at the thought of failed timing belts from past experience. It failed once on my Grande Punto at around 45,000 kms resulting in a month's time in the garage and a damage of over 1lac to the wallet as it was out of warranty.

I would say if the car is out of warranty, err on the side of caution and replace your timing belt sooner and don't stick to the manufacturer's replacement schedule. It seems odd only until it bites hard when you least expect it.
Old 29th October 2019, 08:22   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
10K for regular service plus coolant replacement seems higher than what it used to be 3+ years ago.

I am talking about major service (Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, Brake fluid, Power steering Oil, Oil filter, AC filter, Air filter, fuel filter, Coolant etc.), this service schedule is every 60K Kms and it comes to around 10K for MJD.

Earlier timing chain replacement was every 60K Kms and now it is 90K Kms. This adds up to another 10-12K.

For regular service (every 15K Kms) I used to pay around 6K.

Last edited by arun_josie : 29th October 2019 at 08:23.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:34   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let me give a brief background,

1. I replace all engine oils on my cars myself, since I have the space and tools and trolley jacks. Yet on ocassion the I allow service centres to change oil so as to have an official record of the same. Oil on dipstick is usually transparent clear in my fiat engine without any carbon trace whatsover. When the oil gets slightly dark I make an official oil change. And it returns back to transparent clear again. And I also know that they have indeed changed it.

2. 2 rubber belts were replaced which is the auxiliary drive belt and the accessory drive belt. These are scheduled to be replaced every 4 years or at 60/120/180 kms service. The replaced belts were kept in the boot and they looked fresh and hardly worn. But can't complain as it is just scheduled maintenance.

3. Timing chain was not replaced since 60k kms has not been covered yet.

So my question us whether timing belt change service may cross into 30k+ because labour on that alone will come to 6k and timing chain kit will be 4k.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:51   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Have done two services so far. Both cost me 20k. What the hell. This was without even changing the brake pads. Even premium brands cost just a little higher than this for the first few services. Probably have to get it serviced at an independent service centre hereafter. I feel like I'm getting fleeced. He changed the bolts of the tires in the second service, idk why.
Wow this is very high even for Jeep. When I did test drive, I asked the SA on the maintenance costs. He said it will cost approximately 11k for each paid service for every 15k KMs. I then added a buffer of 20% and thought 13-14k would be the final amount. 20k is just too much. Any other spares or parts changed? Any additional services undertaken like engine coating etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks