Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 20:32   #1711
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Jeep Compass facelift spied.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeepcompassfaceliftspiedtestingnewindia3498x400.jpg
Rear looks similar, though it's too soon to judge.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeepcompassfaceliftspiedtestingnewindia51068x702.jpg
The front end of the car was heavily camouflaged, signifying some big changes for the front.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeepcompassfaceliftspiedtestingnewindia2.jpg
Looks like the infotainment system is going to see an overhaul, with possibly a digital instrument cluster.

Hopefully Jeep brings it to India as soon as it is launched internationally.

Source: Rushlane

Last edited by BZ25 : 10th January 2020 at 20:36. Reason: Added information.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 16:26   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Go for it. It's a far superior car to drive daily. You'll miss out on few creature comforts though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Is that a demo vehicle? Looks like they have offered you a discount of 5-6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Wow this is a shockingly good deal. I was offered 17.8 for sports variant with few accessories and it was 2018 make. I strongly suggest you to go with deal as it is a no-brainer.

BS4 cars using BS6 fuel may see a negligible drop in power output and fuel efficiency. Apart from this there are no other major issues with BS4 engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Thats an excellent deal on the Compass.
Dont get too worried about bs4/6.
Since the prices are virtually identical, go for the vehicle you and yr family prefer.

Compass may be more exclusive, but I reckon the Kia may hold resale value better than Compass.
The bubble has finally burst it was a 2018 test car they offered it because of the high discount margin. So my bookings for the BS6 Compass and Seltos HTX still stand.

Thx everyone for the advise
Old 20th January 2020, 18:45   #1713
BHPian

While in the market for a crossover this is certainly not a beast that can be overlooked. With the DNA it has bigger and so called better alternatives have failed in my books. The sad part is the recognition is still not where it should be mainly because of the higher entry prices but I think slowly but surely people will give what is deserved by this gem of a car.
ajaiD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 20:49   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
While in the market for a crossover this is certainly not a beast that can be overlooked. With the DNA it has bigger and so called better alternatives have failed in my books. The sad part is the recognition is still not where it should be mainly because of the higher entry prices but I think slowly but surely people will give what is deserved by this gem of a car.
I agree with you its one of my all time favs. Small enough for daily use and strong enough for rough use. Makes me happy that such a thing exists here but as you rightly pointed out its a bit expensive.

Lets see how the new 4x4 AT's workout.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:11   #1715
BHPian

Pre-Owned Jeep Compass Petrol Manual

Bought my Pre-owned Red Compass Petrol Manual Transmission in December 2019 to replace my ageing Skoda Yeti. The car (or the Jeep) was a 2018 July model and had run only 7600 kms when i bought, with just one service done.

Although this is the bare bones base model (Sport), the previous Owner (also an NRI) had already made some investments in the car at least in the looks department, mostly from Jeep prior to taking delivery. Roof was painted black, the wheels were changed to the 17" alloys of the limited trim and powder coated in black, roof rails added, an aftermarket camera, sensors and side steps installed. Thus the car was looking good even in the sport trim. He also had the black seat covers from jeep.

After taking delivery of the car I also made some investments. the warranty was extended for two more years until July 2023 (INR 31K), got rid of the aftermarket things like camera, sensors and sidesteps and installed original Jeep accessories - Camera (INR 19K) (no sensors though) and side steps (INR 18K). This was done primarily to keep the warranty intact. Also had to change the rear bumper lower black part (INR 4.5K) as it had the aftermarket sensors fitted by drilling holes. Jeep guys told me that the warranty may get affected with aftermarket camera and sensors, so got rid of it.

Driving the Compass petrol manual:
As there are not many reviews in the forum for the petrol manual, shall give my very short view on the driving. Before that just to mention that I live in Dubai and drives a Lexus IS 250 and a BMW X5 in Dubai. In India I have owned a Skoda Yeti, Skoda Superb, Honda Civic and Maruti Baleno (sedan) previously. So I have driven quite a number of good cars. Except for the Yeti and Baleno, all my cars were bought pre-owned as I find buying slightly used cars are much more value.

As the build quality, ride and handling are all same for all Jeep Compass models and has been discussed in length, I will only write about driving the 1.4 liter turbocharged multi air petrol with manual transmission. The car is a joy to drive. Of course, the turbo lag is felt below 1700 rpm, but beyond that, the car takes off, attaining good speeds quickly. The gear changes are a sheer pleasure with short throws which are well slotted, not to mention my liking for the silver ball like gear lever which is good to hold. The clutch is very light (I have heard the clutch in diesels are slightly more hard). This being a manual if you can play with the gears, the turbo lag is never a problem. On quick overtakes you can just down shift and the car takes off.

I haven't driven the auto transmission or the diesel version of the compass, so cannot really compare. But having read a few negative reviews on the automatic Compass, regarding turbo lag, i feel the manual transmission addresses most of the issues, if you can live with it in traffic. The power delivery is more linear and there is no real turbo kick and I have never experienced any torque steer. However in busy Kerala roads, where regular overtakes are a necessity, I have found the car to be a pleasure to drive. Comparing to my previous car the Yeti, the turbo kick is felt less and you don't get the sudden surge, and get more linear power delivery. However the gear shift is better, the clutch is light and this being a petrol, the diesel clatter is not there. Also another point worth mentioning is that the body roll is less than the Yeti, and the car is more planted. My wife and daughters never felt travel sick during the hill station drives unlike the Yeti. Overall a slightly better driving experience than the yeti, not by much though.

Now about the negatives. I have driven around 2500 kms after taking the car with about 20% city and 80% in crowded Kerala highways and hills in Kodaikanal. The average i got is around 8 km per liter with some spirited driving. I think if you drive very carefully you can achieve 10 to 11kms per liter. Jeep guys tells me that there are people getting upto 13km/liter for petrol manual, not sure how true this is. Fuel is not a concern for me as I drive around 6000 kms a year only during my short vacations. Other than that, the car is bare bones, no key-less start, no climate control and the music system is adequate. The interiors all though of good quality with soft touch plastics and tight fit & finish, looks bland especially in the sport trim with a very small screen and no climate control. Also the indicator and wiper stalks, I felt, are not really smooth to operate.

However features were not my real priority, I drove the Kia Seltos, got impressed and booked the GTX+ DCT, but was in two minds. It had too much bling, not to my tastes, lack of exclusiveness with so many bookings and the long delivery time was an issue (No offence to the Seltos Owners). Once i found this Compass, I immediately cancelled the booking. Kia would have been easier to drive with the DCT and endless features matching high end cars, but for me the feel was more important

I like the sedate and clean looks of the Compass that will age well, the solid build, the ride and handling and mostly the 163hp Turbo petrol with stick shift. All in all I am happy with the purchase so far. With a total price including the warranty extension under 15 lakhs, I think this was a good buy. Few Pictures were taken in December during the short vacation.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-1.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-5.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-2.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-3.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-4.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd January 2020 at 20:59. Reason: Please review the grammar before posting
Catamaran is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:05   #1716
BHPian

Congratulations on your jeep acquisition . Wishing you miles of blissful ownership , and the price at which you got it is really a good buy .Better then a new Seltos .
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 21:16   #1717
BHPian

Looks like a sweet deal. There are hardly any reviews / opinions about the Compass Petrol Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
Pre-Owned Jeep Compass Petrol Manual
the wheels were changed to the 17" alloys of the limited trim and powder coated in black, roof rails added, an aftermarket camera, sensors and side steps installed. Thus the car was looking good even in the sport trim.
Since the Sport model normally comes with 16" wheels, wont having the upsized 17" alloys result in speedo error? Also what about the ride quality ?

Also, does anybody know if the Sport & Sport Plus models which come with 16" wheels have reduced ground clearance compared to the Longitude / Limited models (which is 178mm i think)
Old 24th January 2020, 23:47   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post

Since the Sport model normally comes with 16" wheels, wont having the upsized 17" alloys result in speedo error? Also what about the ride quality ?

Also, does anybody know if the Sport & Sport Plus models which come with 16" wheels have reduced ground clearance compared to the Longitude / Limited models (which is 178mm i think)
Not sure about the speedo error, however the upgrade was done from Jeep Service Centre. The alloys, the tyre size and even the make (Firestone) are exactly the same as the one in Limited trim. No complaints on the ride quality, allthough I have not driven with the 16 inch wheels and hence cannot compare. However I will rate it slightly better than the Yeti.

One important negative point I forgot to mention in my below post is that whenever the car comes to an absolute standstill, you will have to engage the first gear every time. Else there is a good chance that you will stall. Its almost impossible to get the car moving in second gear.
Catamaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 06:24   #1719
Senior - BHPian

In absence of detailed feature / specification list on the Jeep website it is a pain to figure out what variant has what options. The way they have laid it out makes it almost impossible to compare two or more variants.

Does anyone know an easier way to figure out these details.

Secondly has Jeep done any upgrades to the Limited Plus model through the years. Does the 2019 and 2029 Limited Plus 4x4 have the exact same feature list.

I could not find out the following details for the Limited Plus 4x4 variant.

1. Spare wheel size, is it space saver or regular size. Steel or Alloy wheel.

2. Do the power windows have one touch up and down on all 4 windows

3. Does it have speed sensing central locking.

4. Water fording depth.

5. Reverse camera is adaptive or normal.

Will be obliged if current owners can help answer these questions.

Last edited by Traveler : 31st January 2020 at 06:29.
Old 31st January 2020, 08:10   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Secondly has Jeep done any upgrades to the Limited Plus model through the years. Does the 2019 and 2029 Limited Plus 4x4 have the exact same feature list.
They are yet to launch 2020 Limited Plus 4x4. This will be BS6, not sure what other changes will be there. Like AT 4x4, it may get Cruise control and Engine stop/start feature

Quote:

1. Spare wheel size, is it space saver or regular size. Steel or Alloy wheel.
It is steel and not the regular size.

Quote:
2. Do the power windows have one touch up and down on all 4 windows
2019 models got it for front doors only.

Quote:
5. Reverse camera is adaptive or normal.
Adaptive.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 06:26   #1721
BHPian

Hello all, one question. While reading best practices to avoid transmission temperature increase in crawl speed traffic (for DCT transmission), came across the option of using Autostick (stick shift / manual shift). Well, Bangalore traffic throws up all sorts of challenges and last week, was in a situation when I had to literally crawl for almost 15 minutes. Few comments in a Jeep forum suggested that Autostick (manual mode (+/-) in D) can be a good option to avoid transmission heating up. It is given as an option for city driving in the user manual too.
Was wondering what the real world experience is from Jeepers who have tried this, is. Does it help and alternatively, any issues in doing so for transmission / any tips that one need to be aware of, in using Autostick?

Last edited by anoop cheeran : 1st February 2020 at 06:27.
Old 1st February 2020, 09:28   #1722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Hello all, one question. While reading best practices to avoid transmission temperature increase in crawl speed traffic (for DCT transmission), came across the option of using Autostick (stick shift / manual shift). Well, Bangalore traffic throws up all sorts of challenges and last week, was in a situation when I had to literally crawl for almost 15 minutes. Few comments in a Jeep forum suggested that Autostick (manual mode (+/-) in D) can be a good option to avoid transmission heating up. It is given as an option for city driving in the user manual too.
Was wondering what the real world experience is from Jeepers who have tried this, is. Does it help and alternatively, any issues in doing so for transmission / any tips that one need to be aware of, in using Autostick?
Are you talking about the manual mode in the DCT or the ZF9 transmission?

If yes then for the DCT it may help a little in traffic as it wont upshift to 2nd and back to 1st if you keep it in 1st in crawling traffic.

For the ZF9 that already starts only in second, I doubt it will go to 3rd in crawling traffic so may not help.

I depends on the traffic condition and how the characteristics are. There's no rule.
Old 1st February 2020, 11:56   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are you talking about the manual mode in the DCT or the ZF9 transmission?
.. There's no rule.
Thanks. Yes, i meant the DCT in petrol auto. Last week, was stuck both up and down an incline (a flyover) with no option other than crawling for almost 15 minutes as it was completely jammed. Basically the whole breaking function is on clutch and it keeps shifting/slipping to provide momentum from what I understand.
DCT, be it Hyundai/Kia or Ford or Chrysler surely will undergo heating up of transmission fluid in such a scenario from what I have read. So was looking up on how best to tackle such a situation. Autostick was one option talked about, by moving to manually to D1, while in the jam. From your comment I understand this can be done - will see how it works out. Anyone else who uses this, please opine.

Last edited by anoop cheeran : 1st February 2020 at 11:59.
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:56   #1724
Senior - BHPian

While looking at the specs for the Jeep Compass Limited Plus, I noticed that the tyre size is a very odd one. It rides on 225/55 R18 tyres. It was shod with Bridestone Turanza's which is a normal Highway Terrain (HT) Tyre. The tyre is also quite expensive at almost 18K per Tyre.

Are there any option for an AT tyre in this size. I couldn't find one... If not then would it be possible to upsize the tyres which have an AT tread pattern.

It is surprising that a 4x4 vehicle has no option for an All Terrain Tyre..
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:39   #1725
BHPian

I had pre booked the BS6 compass and today the dealer called me to see it in the flesh but it was that 4*4 AT model and not the 4*2 manual I was after. I did drive the car a bit and it was just like the trailhawk "Lazy downshifts and lag overall".

I am still waiting for a 4*2 manual BS6 dont understand why JEEP is delaying the launch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks