Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 10:48   #961
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fortuner and Endeavor will give you more room, a proper 4x4 system, ability to lift with ease, bigger tires....
Not everyone wants size, specially if the car has to do city duties as well.

Compass pricing became value because of the pricing set by Creta, Tucson and Tiguan. Now the main rival which could make the Compass look overpriced is the TATA H5X, especially so since it will even have the same diesel engine.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 12:01   #962
BHPian

I chanced upon this thread while scoring for info on the Compass.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-replaced.html

It is scary, but even scarier to read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As much as I love the Compass, I have to admit - there is not a single new car on which I have seen so many reports of niggles & problems. Not even a Tata or Mahindra launch. Clearly, there are quality issues with the Compass which Jeep must address as a top priority.
Do we have a list of common problems in the Compass? I may want dismiss the suspension failure as an one-off case, but if such problems are a common happening, I would want to press the eject button while I still can.

Delivery is planned for the weekend.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:32   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

It does not cost 90% of Fortuner. Fortuner 4x4 diesel MT costs ~38L OTR in Bengaluru. I do agree that the higher variants of Compass are highly overpriced, especially with the missing equipment.

Yeah comparing JC 4x2 with Fortuner 4x2 and likewise for 4x4, the price difference remains well above 10L which is about 40-50% higher than the compass.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 15:22   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Do we have a list of common problems in the Compass? I may want dismiss the suspension failure as an one-off case, but if such problems are a common happening, I would want to press the eject button while I still can.

Delivery is planned for the weekend.
Being an FCA product, there is general skepticism around it, from using one for the last 3 months (and interacting regularly with over 20 other users) I can confirm that there are no deal breaking issues with the compass. I haven't faced any niggles in this brief period of ownership (5k kms), lights (limited variant) are far from being inadequate (better than my Vento).

My daily commute is 140km (of which 50kms is expressway and the remaining 90 is bumper to bumper rush hour traffic) - I have not had any issues whatsoever with the clutch heating up, slipping or smoking. The clutch has limited play and rev's drop too low if you go to speeds below 20 in 2nd gear so there is some amount of getting used to involved.

I am yet to hear any 'rattles', one particular panel vibrates at certain rpms which I believe service centers sort out during first service.

I have been getting 14-14.5kmpl mileage in city with AC on all the time (not relying on the MID, measuring tankful to tankful).

True issues are the really crappy tyres that the car comes with, replace them on day one - they have very poor grip, get noisy with every thousand kms and get punctured at the drop of a hat and the really slow and low res. entertainment system.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th April 2018 at 15:28. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
ff1609 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:20   #965
BHPian

Quote:

After more than 16000km on the odo and after many trips on and off road, I'm happy with my JC. And many people I know who own will vouch for this car

At the end it's your call. If I were you I'd have bought it all over again

Last edited by Samurai : 18th April 2018 at 13:10. Reason: quote fixed
jojoinassi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:56   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
True issues are the really crappy tyres that the car comes with, replace them on day one - they have very poor grip, get noisy with every thousand kms and get punctured at the drop of a hat
The tyres definitely have me confused. I checked for reviews and I see that the Firestone Destination LE2 has got some good reviews internationally. Dry and wet grip seems to be good.

https://shedheads.net/firestone-destination-le2-review/
http://topautotools.com/firestone-de...n-le-2-review/
https://tirereviewsandmore.com/fires...-le-2-reviews/

What I guess might be the reason is what we get are tyres made in India at the Bridgestone factory, and are probably not subjected to the higher standards observed elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
After more than 16000km on the odo and after many trips on and off road, I'm happy with my JC. And many people I know who own will vouch for this car

At the end it's your call. If I were you I'd have bought it all over again
I had my eyes glued on the Compass from the moment I saw the first pic. If there ain't no deal breaker, I am definitely getting her.

Last edited by civic-sense : 18th April 2018 at 12:58.
Old 20th April 2018, 06:01   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyres definitely have me confused. I checked for reviews and I see that the Firestone Destination LE2 has got some good reviews internationally. Dry and wet grip seems to be good.
I have much experience driving in North America, the original home of Firestone.
Believe me when I say to you, Firestone is NOT a good tyre IMHO[. Tyres are one thing you want to get right, one thing you might want to open the wallet and spend some $$$ on. Good tyres make a world of difference especially on an SUV.

Michelin or Continental would be two good choices. There are others.
DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 11:00   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have much experience driving in North America, the original home of Firestone.
Believe me when I say to you, Firestone is NOT a good tyre IMHO[. Tyres are one thing you want to get right, one thing you might want to open the wallet and spend some $$$ on. Good tyres make a world of difference especially on an SUV.

Michelin or Continental would be two good choices. There are others.
Unfortunately I am not finding any dealers who are willing to give a swap. They say that the size is not in demand, as only a handful of cars come at that size. I am delaying my delivery to tomorrow in a bid to find a willing dealer, else I am going to take my chances with firestone.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:21   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not finding any dealers who are willing to give a swap. They say that the size is not in demand, as only a handful of cars come at that size. I am delaying my delivery to tomorrow in a bid to find a willing dealer, else I am going to take my chances with firestone.

PM Nikhilb2008 and see if he can help.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 12:32   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm....I wonder if FCA itself can help you with an alternative tyre.

With some effort you might find an alternative wheel/tyre combination. You would have to be careful to get the right lug nuts. It would be expensive to change the wheels and tyres, and something of a crap-shoot to research what size wheel and tyre would fit without touching the sheet metal somewhere. But it might be done. One important thing you want to do in a tyre/wheel swap is keep the diameter very close to the OE diameter else you risk fooling sensors and computers.

Here is a helpful chart. Good luck.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ch...wheel-diameter
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 12:35   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
PM Nikhilb2008 and see if he can help.
I am in Trivandrum. I did speak to Nikhil yesterday, though. He advised me to stay with the Firestones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Hmmm....I wonder if FCA itself can help you with an alternative tyre.

With some effort you might find an alternative wheel/tyre combination. You would have to be careful to get the right lug nuts. It would be expensive to change the wheels and tyres, and something of a crap-shoot to research what size wheel and tyre would fit without touching the sheet metal somewhere. But it might be done. One important thing you want to do in a tyre/wheel swap is keep the diameter very close to the OE diameter else you risk fooling sensors and computers.

Here is a helpful chart. Good luck.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ch...wheel-diameter
1. I don't want to change the size unless it is absolutely necessary while the warranty is still valid. I don't want the service center telling me that the suspension broke because of the tyres.

2. My issue is not finding the right size of tyre. They are willing to arrange 225/60 R17 for me, just that they are not willing to buy back my Firestones.

Last edited by civic-sense : 20th April 2018 at 12:40.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:09   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

After only around 9 months of use and barely 8500K Kms covered, my Compass's AC has gone on the fritz and is blowing only moderately cold air. Seems like there is a defect/ leakage in the system. Anyone else facing this issue on their Compass?
Delhi Summers are just heating up now and the AC has failed when it is needed the most! Even after 30 min of running it is not able to bring down the temperature below 26 Degrees inspite of being set at LO (which is the lowest setting).

Last edited by Behemoth : 20th April 2018 at 15:12.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 20:22   #973
BHPian

That's scary!
I hope they even have the neccessary spares in stock because with a working AC, the car is useless in Delhi.

Also, would you be able to share any advice on bulb upgrade for the limited version? I am in US for the next couple of weeks, what should I be looking for? Something like this?
https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-b...p-compass.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
After only around 9 months of use and barely 8500K Kms covered, my Compass's AC has gone on the fritz and is blowing only moderately cold air. Seems like there is a defect/ leakage in the system. Anyone else facing this issue on their Compass?
Delhi Summers are just heating up now and the AC has failed when it is needed the most! Even after 30 min of running it is not able to bring down the temperature below 26 Degrees inspite of being set at LO (which is the lowest setting).
Quote:
I am in Trivandrum. I did speak to Nikhil yesterday, though. He advised me to stay with the Firestones.

1. I don't want to change the size unless it is absolutely necessary while the warranty is still valid. I don't want the service center telling me that the suspension broke because of the tyres.

2. My issue is not finding the right size of tyre. They are willing to arrange 225/60 R17 for me, just that they are not willing to buy back my Firestones.

It is hard to find somoene who will buy the Firestones, I ended up sticking to them for the same reason and now at 4k kms I regret having not upgraded tires on day one. A lot of people think of Firestone as some high end soft compound tyre just not 'suitable for India'. What they do not realize is that Firestone is Bridgestone's cheaper range of tyres. Its noisy, offers poor braking & grip and is very prone to punctures (3 punctures within 4k kms where on the same route Michelins had 1 puncture in 80k kms, Yoko had none in 1 lakh kms)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2018 at 14:14. Reason: back to back posts merged & trimming quoted post for improved readability
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 20:35   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
That's scary!
I hope they even have the neccessary spares in stock because with a working AC, the car is useless in Delhi.

Also, would you be able to share any advice on bulb upgrade for the limited version? I am in US for the next couple of weeks, what should I be looking for? Something like this?
https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-b...p-compass.html
Yes I sure hope so that they have the parts. Thankfully most of the parts should be available at least in their Pune factory.
My experience with LED bulbs in the Compass has been quite bad. I first got Excelite LED bulbs from the dealer at 18k - totally useless. Next I ordered LED bulbs from Aliexpress, again useless, then again one more set from Aliexpress called GTRS G8L which also don't have the right beam throw. Finally I settled on 9011 Philips halogen HIR bulbs which are much better than stock and have the exact same wattage of 65W , from Amazon US. Get these bulbs from there as they are the best option with proper beam throw.
Old 21st April 2018, 12:43   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this test mule of the Compass yesterday around Ranjangaon area;

Jeep Compass : Official Review-fd65ba893ffe40ba84b9db5a7428b8ae.jpeg

^ wasn’t a Trailhawk for sure !
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks