Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 10:14   #1801
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
What is the maximum FE figure that anyone has got (realistic, of course) from a diesel MT Compass on open highways here?

Also, is it anyway going to be significantly different with a BS6 diesel?
F.E depends upon the way you drive and traffic conditions. Compass gives very good f.e on open highways. My route consists of about 75-80 % open highway and rest in city . I get more then 20 km/l , that is with good average speeds and sometimes with spirited drive..Infact I also had a Swift diesel and on the same route F.E was roughly similar, but the M.I.D on swift showed higher efficiency and on compass it was shown less.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 10:51   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can check my below post for the FE numbers that I have got so far
Have you done Tank full to Tank full method testing? If yes, are the findings same? I ask this because, I do not trust the FE numbers shown on MID.
Old 6th April 2020, 11:08   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Have you done Tank full to Tank full method testing? If yes, are the findings same? I ask this because, I do not trust the FE numbers shown on MID.

The difference between MID and Tank full to Tank full method is very minimal. I have plotted both these numbers in the below graph, you will have to zoom it to see the difference.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-fe_mid_ft.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 18:16   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I think that there is absolutely no doubt that VW has a much better image than Jeep.
Seriously! I have both and there is a clear difference in brand image and presence among your social circle. No body talks about VW/Skoda in that sense. Please have a look at the pricing of the car range here. Jeep Compass is the cheapest Jeep model and next in line is Wrangler well above 50 lacs. I am not sure what image are you talking about.

As far as Jeep Compass goes. Yes it is overpriced. It is overpriced because in 2017 when it was launched there was no competition and at that time the price was justified by all. However, mass manufacturers Like Tata, MG, Kia found ways to cut cost and give a better proposition. Remember these companies had time in their favor.

The only car which gives you similar level of premium feeling is Tucson. Nothing else. Seltos, Hector, Harrier all can be a better value for money car however they don't give you the sense of premium-ness which you get from Jeep. The latest VW crossover is peppy as per media drives, but the interior quality is below all VW sold in India 3 months back.

FCA needs something else. Only Jeep Compass and selling 2.0 Multijet will not help them. I don't see price correction as an option. That will dilute the image. They need to bring a powerful Renegade.

Finally, Resale value - Who cares ! In this scenario around, there won't be sales. Forget resale.
Roadster17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 17:24   #1805
BHPian

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this. If not, mods please move it to the appropriate thread.

My colleague and friend owns a red Compass limited. We are currently following lock-down protocol at our working institution's campus. Today morning, he found a punctured left rear tyre. He called me up and we were in the process of changing into the spare tyre when passer-bys told us that a nearby tyre repair shop is open. As it was near by (about 3 kms away), we didn't install the spare tyre, let the car rest on the car jack and went to get the tyre puncture repaired. When we were at the tyre repair shop, the security at our institution called my friend up and said that the car had slipped from the jack and is now resting on ground. We hurried with the now repaired tyre, came back and found the car like this :
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20200408wa0005.jpg
The security said that the jack hadn't ejected completely and he along with some other passer-bys managed to keep the jack as shown in the picture, thus lifting the car off the ground. He informed that the car was resting on the exposed wheel assembly. We inspected for any kind of damage, but couldn't see anything. The repaired tyre was installed after that. Now a question remains as to whether the car incurred any sort of damage when the jack bolted. We did drive the car through the campus and didn't find anything off. Is there something specific that we should look for? The entire weight of the car resting on the exposed wheel hub is kind of a scary thought. Hence the concern.
Old 8th April 2020, 18:01   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Is there something specific that we should look for? The entire weight of the car resting on the exposed wheel hub is kind of a scary thought. Hence the concern.
Best thing to do is, take the car to the F.A.S.S. and get the entire rear suspension, brake rotors, pads, etc., checked for any damage.
Repsol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:12   #1807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
The security said that the jack hadn't ejected completely and he along with some other passer-bys managed to keep the jack as shown in the picture, thus lifting the car off the ground. He informed that the car was resting on the exposed wheel assembly. We inspected for any kind of damage, but couldn't see anything. The repaired tyre was installed after that. Now a question remains as to whether the car incurred any sort of damage when the jack bolted. We did drive the car through the campus and didn't find anything off. Is there something specific that we should look for? The entire weight of the car resting on the exposed wheel hub is kind of a scary thought. Hence the concern.
You wont have any serious damage.

But why is the jack at the back of the car? You jacked up the car in the complete wrong place and would have done more damage with that.

It should be jacked in front of the rear wheel.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:18   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Best thing to do is, take the car to the F.A.S.S. and get the entire rear suspension, brake rotors, pads, etc., checked for any damage.
Yes..we are planning to do that, but the nearest Jeep dealership is around 100 kms from our place. Also it is not open because of lock-down. Just wanted to give my friend a heads-up about any rude surprises that may occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You wont have any serious damage.

But why is the jack at the back of the car? You jacked up the car in the complete wrong place and would have done more damage with that.

It should be jacked in front of the rear wheel.
We had actually jacked up the car in front of the rear wheel. I am assuming that it bolted away completely. We were not nearby at the time and the jack was kept at the back by the security and some other passer-bys. When we returned, we saw the car lifted up like this. I used the jack from my car to lift up the jeep in front of the rear wheel. What kind of damage should we be prepared for?

Last edited by GKR9900 : 8th April 2020 at 18:26.
Old 9th April 2020, 15:28   #1809
BHPian

It seems that the contact point with ground is the rear disc brake rotor.
Axle should have no deformation as axle is designed for the load of the vehicle + dynamic loads.
If there is no deformation in the brake rotor then other things should remain fine. Try jacking up the car again and rotate the wheel. I there is no touching/grinding noise between brake caliper and rotor upon rotation of wheel then I dont see much need for worry. If the wheel is free then other things can wait till the opening of service centre .
Heart_Revs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 15:52   #1810
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldn't be an issue. It's a tough vehicle meant to go off-road. If this was my Octavia, I'd be really concerned. As Heart_Revs put it, rotate the rear wheels while jacked off the ground and listen for any grinding noises. If not you're good to go.

Further, hope the lifting point used by your guard to stabilize the Jeep hasn't caused any damage? Years ago, a colleague actually damaged his (then rare) Maruti Esteem's steering rod (IIRC) when a roadside fellow used it to jack the front up.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 09:01   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Completed the 60,000 kms service on Nov 2nd which also marks the completion of the 2 year ownership!
Any updates from the last time. Would love to hear your feedback on the brake pads of you got them replaced yet. Also how about the tyres, you mentioned they were getting noisy. Hope the clutch is holding up well after it was replaced at 20k kms.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2020 at 09:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant bits of a post as a long post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Old 13th June 2020, 10:03   #1812
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Any updates from the last time. Would love to hear your feedback on the brake pads of you got them replaced yet. Also how about the tyres, you mentioned they were getting noisy. Hope the clutch is holding up well after it was replaced at 20k kms.
It's 70,500 on odo now. Still on stock brake pads and tyres. Tyres look good for some more. It is noisy but not like the unbearable types. So happy with firestones so far. Heading for alignment and balancing today coz I'm noticing marginal wear on FL.
h14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 10:08   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
It's 70,500 on odo now. Still on stock brake pads and tyres. Tyres look good for some more. It is noisy but not like the unbearable types. So happy with firestones so far. Heading for alignment and balancing today coz I'm noticing marginal wear on FL.
Thanks for your reply. How has the servicing experience been so far via. Availability of spares, competent technicians and cost. Any niggles or other reliability issues.

I am on the fence for buying a Limited Plus 4x4 manual and the brands longevity and spares availability is giving me jitters.

Any and all feedback from you will be really good.
Old 13th June 2020, 11:01   #1814
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks for your reply. How has the servicing experience been so far via. Availability of spares, competent technicians and cost. Any niggles or other reliability issues.

I am on the fence for buying a Limited Plus 4x4 manual and the brands longevity and spares availability is giving me jitters.

Any and all feedback from you will be really good.
Have not faced any issues as such. Some small niggles I did have (like fuel door getting stuck, one drl blub conking off) and they were all resolved under warranty without any questions.

I've been visiting TrueSai Salem and SRT Coimbatore and both have been good.

Cost wise, I see the brake pads and fuel filter on higher side. Otherwise no complaints on regular service parts cost.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:09   #1815

Has anyone changed their Jeep Compass DRL bulbs & brake pads from JeepIndia authorized service centers? What is the approximate cost? Are those available from some other sites or dealers?

Most Viewed