Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 10:38   #3301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The JC seems a good upgrade ( Model S 4X4 AT ).

My two comments / reservations :

1. Is the second row space too cramped.

2. Is the AT gearbox really that sluggish,

Any comments would be useful, as the JC still remains the No. 1 contender for an upgrade.

Thanks!
1.) I recently test drove the Jeep Compass and had my friend sat in the rear, he did not find it cramped at all. Front seat set to 5 Ft. 10" person and him sitting in the back with a height of 5 Ft. 8".

2.) The AT gearbox being sluggish/confused is apparently now resolved, make sure the test drive vehicle you are driving is of recent production, people report that Nov/Dec 2021 manufactured onwards model have had the AT box issues resolved.

I will add that I loved the car in every respect, you especially will see a significant quality difference coming from the XUV500 when it comes to interiors, only reservation for me was that the dickie was a size smaller than I would have liked is all.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 10:56   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Just call up Jeep and take a test drive. No comment from any member will be able to replicate an actual experience of a test drive. I find the second row space adequate but you might not. I actually think the gearbox is pretty alright (not great) - many might think its not. So take a test drive and let us know your experience.
Hi Pancham, have been trying to get a TD since over a week now but unable to get materialized.

To clarify we are 3 adults and 2 kids ( 6 yrs) . Meaning which we should be able to comfortably manage in the rear.

Another clarification please

How's the AC performance, heard its not so great.
That's a bummer if true, with the Bombay heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
1.) I recently test drove the Jeep Compass and had my friend sat in the rear, he did not find it cramped at all. Front seat set to 5 Ft. 10" person and him sitting in the back with a height of 5 Ft. 8".

2.) The AT gearbox being sluggish/confused is apparently now resolved, make sure the test drive vehicle you are driving is of recent production, people report that Nov/Dec 2021 manufactured onwards model have had the AT box issues resolved.

I will add that I loved the car in every respect, you especially will see a significant quality difference coming from the XUV500 when it comes to interiors, only reservation for me was that the dickie was a size smaller than I would have liked is all.
That's excellent news on the gearbox, will ensure a post Nov/ Dec only.
My primary reason to shift will be for the AutoBox only, as the Manual is cumbersome in heavy traffic on the daily commute.

How to make best use of the available space is going to be a challenge.
Old 14th February 2022, 11:02   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pancham,

About the AC, I have heard that too but since delivery (Nov 2021), I have only driven in cool/cold conditions and it sufficed. I think the max temp I have driven in is 30-31 degrees. This weekend it was 25 degrees in Delhi and the AC did pretty well.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th February 2022 at 11:07.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 11:27   #3304
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

My XUV 5OO (MT AWD) will be completing 6 years in a couple of months,
The other car in the garage is an AT CVT Jazz.
With offices opening up will need a capable replacement to the XUV.

Citroėn a brand is almost non existent.

Thanks!
I'm a Citroen C5 owner from Mumbai West (same as you I'm guessing). Have had zero problems with sales or service experience with Citroen and its the same with others on the C5 thread (check it out if you have the time). My 2 cents - don't go by the number of vehicles who see on the road, people in India have a very different evaluation approach to cars. Citroen presence will only get stronger as they start the "mass" launches C3 and others this year. If its in your budget, don't rule out the C5 at least without a TD.
Frusciante is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:20   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

Thanks!
I test drove Compass Model S 3 times and went to the showroom to book it but finally dropped the idea after test driving it again and sitting in the car idling for long time.

1) As already mentioned, second row is very comfortable for 2 adults; 1 kid can comfortably sit in the middle seat but the middle seat padding is more pronounced than the corner seats which could be uncomfortable in the long drive even for a kid
2) No problem with AT. I did not find it sluggish at all and drives like a charm
3) AC was the deal breaker for me. I test drove 2 different test drive cars for this reason and found that it was not sufficient or took too long with coldest (and most noisy) possible setting to get any kind of cooling going on in the rear for Bangalore afternoon (it was a hot day at 31 degree but not like a summer day). Also, my wife complained that rear seat is too upright and with no possibility to recline, it was a deal breaker for me
Acelerar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:35   #3306
BHPian

Quote:

Tuscon facelift is taking longer than it takes wives to get ready for a party.

XUV 7OO wait is even longer.

The JC seems a good upgrade ( Model S 4X4 AT ).

Thanks!
I did a TD of Compass Diesel MT & AT both Back to back and then drove away in my Rapid TDI DSG.

- Jeep D MT was wonderful to drive with super smoothness all around.
- Jeep D AT was ok to drive but no DSG for sure. It was just adequate and reminded me of Ecosport AT when it first launched. I for one would have become frustrated even though I drive less.

In comparison I found D AT of Tucson much better and refined.

If I have to buy JC then it will be D MT but I think you are considering because of 4*4 AT model in that case do a TD of Tucson D AT.

In another post you had asked about AC and rear seat.

-I am 6'3 and behind me in JC no one could sit except maybe a small kid.
-Middle row seat is useless. JC is 4 seater at best.
- AC didn't try as its winters in Delhi right now.

If JC is what you want in D AT 4*4 then that means ok to spend 33L on road. Why not stretch and get Fortuner? Its about 6-7L more but you will have:
-Peace of mind
- Spacious
-Road presence
- Good resale if that is consideration
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:01   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
To clarify we are 3 adults and 2 kids ( 6 yrs) . Meaning which we should be able to comfortably manage in the rear.

That's excellent news on the gearbox, will ensure a post Nov/ Dec only.
The rear seat space is sufficient enough for 2 adults + 1 child, 3 adults will be uncomfortable.

For AC to be effective, one has to put it at low temperatures 18° to 20°. Above that it isn't effective. I think black interiors of Model S also contribute to the heat retention.

You need not worry about gearbox, as the ecu update has been done in all models with ZF box. Even my pre-facelift got the update.
deltasierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:51   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
About the AC, I have heard that too but since delivery (Nov 2021), I have only driven in cool/cold conditions and it sufficed. I think the max temp I have driven in is 30-31 degrees. This weekend it was 25 degrees in Delhi and the AC did pretty well.
OK This is extremely important factor for me. Will wait till it has been tested until Summer's arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusciante View Post
I'm a Citroen C5 owner from Mumbai West (same as you I'm guessing). Have had zero problems with sales or service experience with Citroen and its the same with others on the C5 thread (check it out if you have the time). My 2 cents - don't go by the number of vehicles who see on the road, people in India have a very different evaluation approach to cars. Citroen presence will only get stronger as they start the "mass" launches C3 and others this year. If its in your budget, don't rule out the C5 at least without a TD.
This is really good to hear. Will definitely give it a test, love the GC and the quirky design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
I test drove Compass Model S 3 times and went to the showroom to book it but finally dropped the idea after test driving it again and sitting in the car idling for long time.

1) As already mentioned, second row is very comfortable for 2 adults; 1 kid can comfortably sit in the middle seat but the middle seat padding is more pronounced than the corner seats which could be uncomfortable in the long drive even for a kid
2) No problem with AT. I did not find it sluggish at all and drives like a charm
3) AC was the deal breaker for me. I test drove 2 different test drive cars for this reason and found that it was not sufficient or took too long with coldest (and most noisy) possible setting to get any kind of cooling going on in the rear for Bangalore afternoon (it was a hot day at 31 degree but not like a summer day). Also, my wife complained that rear seat is too upright and with no possibility to recline, it was a deal breaker for me
Completely agree on the AC, as I said earlier, OK This is extremely important factor for me. Will wait till it has been tested until Summer's arrive.
Once summer starts 31 is the lower end temp going upto 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I did a TD of Compass Diesel MT & AT both Back to back and then drove away in my Rapid TDI DSG.

- Jeep D MT was wonderful to drive with super smoothness all around.
- Jeep D AT was ok to drive but no DSG for sure. It was just adequate and reminded me of Ecosport AT when it first launched. I for one would have become frustrated even though I drive less.

In comparison I found D AT of Tucson much better and refined.

If I have to buy JC then it will be D MT but I think you are considering because of 4*4 AT model in that case do a TD of Tucson D AT.

In another post you had asked about AC and rear seat.

-I am 6'3 and behind me in JC no one could sit except maybe a small kid.
-Middle row seat is useless. JC is 4 seater at best.
- AC didn't try as its winters in Delhi right now.

If JC is what you want in D AT 4*4 then that means ok to spend 33L on road. Why not stretch and get Fortuner? Its about 6-7L more but you will have:
-Peace of mind
- Spacious
-Road presence
- Good resale if that is consideration
I did think of the Tfort but the giant is not too comfortable for daily crowded commutes, else been my dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasierra View Post
The rear seat space is sufficient enough for 2 adults + 1 child, 3 adults will be uncomfortable.

For AC to be effective, one has to put it at low temperatures 18° to 20°. Above that it isn't effective. I think black interiors of Model S also contribute to the heat retention.

You need not worry about gearbox, as the ecu update has been done in all models with ZF box. Even my pre-facelift got the update.
The AC aspect was pointed out in GeekyRanjit owner review , I was shocked that they got this so wrong, he's been struggling for months.

Great to hear about the sorted AC.

Attaching link below for ref.

vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:43   #3309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
I test drove Model S MT sometime back and had very similar observations. The AC was almost ineffective even in morning around 10 AM, and that was with the morning sun we have these days in Bangalore.
Almost exact comments about rear seat from my wife too. Ineffective AC, seat back too upright and she found the rear seats to be almost suffocating. I think this might be due to the relatively high window line at the rear. I personally did not find the rear seat to be as bad though.
yosbert is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 08:08   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could you share a bit more about this update? What exactly is this update about and how come nobody knows about it?
Old 15th February 2022, 10:58   #3311
BHPian

Dear friends,

Kindly specifically advise on the AC performance, especially in coastal cities , with sultry weather and hot temperatures almost all years.

Now with the Jeep Meridian coming in, which seems to be a great upgrade for existing 7 seater owners and those who had limitations on the Compass size.

Have put in some figures for comparison and the new Video.

The AC is probably one of the most important aspects and has to be a good performer else a definite deal breaker for anything 'JEEP'

Jeep Commander vs Compass (Dimensions)
Length 4,769mm 4,405mm
Width 1,859mm 1,818mm
Height 1,682mm 1,640mm
Wheelbase 2,794mm 2,636mm

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 15th February 2022 at 11:01. Reason: Font
Old 15th February 2022, 16:10   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Could you share a bit more about this update? What exactly is this update about and how come nobody knows about it?
This was done back in October. Got to know about it from fellow owners, went to the workshop to check the same.

Sharing the picture of updates done below:
Jeep Compass : Official Review-picsart_220215_160648644.jpg
deltasierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:17   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share what was the difference you felt after the ZF update on your older Compass model?
Old 16th February 2022, 20:55   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Could you please share what was the difference you felt after the ZF update on your older Compass model?
Post the update in October, kickdowns had improved, there was no hesitancy while accelerating.

Incidentally, I had gone for my 30k service today and there was another update for the PCM. I have driven only 100 or so km post that but the throttle response seem to have improved noticeably. I had fun accelerating hard on my drive back.
deltasierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 22:59   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post the update in October, kickdowns had improved, there was no hesitancy while accelerating.

Incidentally, I had gone for my 30k service today and there was another update for the PCM. I have driven only 100 or so km post that but the throttle response seem to have improved noticeably. I had fun accelerating hard on my drive back.
Thank you for sharing. One last question, is yours Petrol or Diesel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks