Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 12:36   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any long term Sport Petrol MT users here who can share their user experience - with respect to turbo lag, driveability, average fuel efficiency and maintenance?
Disappointed with Kushaq and Taigun and looking for similar traits in well established quality product from Jeep?
If so, you aren’t the only one!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 13:23   #3257

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any long term Sport Petrol MT users here who can share their user experience - with respect to turbo lag, driveability, average fuel efficiency and maintenance?
We have a Dec 2019 Sport Petrol MT, we have covered about 14k Kms till date (thanks to the lockdowns). The experience has been great so far, we had issues with the turbo lag initially since we always had NA petrol vehicles previously but we are used to it now and don't find that as an issue anymore. We have taken it to a couple of trips beyond Rishikesh and the turbo lag was not a problem even on steep inclines.

Once you are past the turbo lag the Jeep just leaps forward till the red line and is a joy to drive. The gear shifts are smooth and the clutch is not heavy unlike the diesel counterpart. You can cruise at 100 with the RPM hovering around 2000-2100. The ride is good, we recently completed a 2.2k Km round trip from Meerut to Ahmedabad and we were all very fresh at the end to trip.

We have an average fuel economy of 12.1 according to the MID(about 60% on highways & we mostly drive with a light foot). The best we have seen is 15kmpl on a long empty strech with speed hovering around 90-110. The only thing is the efficiency varies a lot based on the driving conditions and behavior which i guess is a trait of most turbo petrols.

The car has been trouble free so far, we have done 3 services so far, do not remember the cost of the first one but the second and third services were around 4.5 & 6k.

Few cons
Engine noise is a little high and not to our liking especially outside, but it is well insulated and you do not hear much once you are inside the cabin.
The AC is not as effective compared to some of our previous vehicles, the fan is very noisy too. (though the dual zone climate control is nice to have)
The battery gave us a bit of trouble once when we did not start the vehicle for around 3 weeks during the initial lockdown, but we make it a point to start the vehicle weekly once in case it is parked for long.
There are a few features missing which would have been nice to have.

Attaching a couple of images
Name:  jc1.png
Views: 1891
Size:  627.9 KB

Name:  jc2.png
Views: 1919
Size:  635.0 KB
germin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 20:09   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Comprehensively test drove the Compass Manual & Automatic (both diesel) today. To start with, there were Longitude, Limited & Model S on the showroom floor. Coming to interiors, dark themed interiors on Model S were best IMO. If I were to buy the manual variant, I would rather settle for Longitude with leatherette inserts where the denim like trim is there. Everything else is fine with Longitude. However, the hard clutch is definitely a deal breaker, which means all manuals are out.

In fact, the black & sea grey (whitish) interiors of the Limited don't gel well with Tan leather inserts. For me Limited is simply out or contention.

Coming to Model S now, I liked everything today. The interiors, though Black with few tasteful carbon fiber mimicking inserts on the dash, were much better than on lesser variants. The glovebox was small & lower dash plastics weren't as good as top of dash IMO. Yet it was better then lesser variants. Overall space up front & at rear is sufficient for my five & a half foot frame. The boot is also reasonably good considering we get a full size spare (compared to Germans where we get spec saver spare tyre). Coming to ride, it's busy, you know what surface you are riding on, but that also means you can be careless around corners. The sound insulation is much better over Hyundais, build quality & heft is also playing a role here. The 360 degrees camera & AWD (4X4) are added benefits here.

Now, coming to the engine & automatic gearbox, I'm bowled over. Same engine in Harriers & Hectors feels different (overall package). But the ZF gearbox is charm, it didn't seemed hunting when I wanted to push the vehicle & shifts weren't noticable.

Price of the vehicle+variant is something I don't mind paying as I'm also eyeing Germans. But want to upgrade something sensible considering I'm upgrading from Ford Aspire. Moreover, I'm making some other investments that would give me monetary returns than just pride/ ego. Then the Germans could be too delicate for roads in NCR, especially around my place.

At present, have sought time from my sales advisor as I don't want to end up with an impulsive buy/ investment. But still Compass should remain on top, on most aspects (barring space where Harriers & Hectors are better).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 6th February 2022 at 20:11. Reason: Additional data
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 20:20   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I've seen a lot of folks selling the wheels of their Compass Sport / Sport Plus models on Olx. Now those are 16 inch, and if they can be had for a bargain, then the cost / price to fix AT Tyres and go off to Ladakh & Spiti might end up being more attractive
I don’t think these wheels have the same strength as the alloys. I wouldn’t suggest them for off roading or driving in bad terrain. They are prone to damage and wheel bends.
Old 7th February 2022, 00:38   #3260
BHPian

Need some advice from folks here. I had bought my jeep compass limited AT petrol variant on Jan 7, 2022 from KHT Bangalore.

Today while going to the airport I was doing highway speeds. Just when I reached the airport, I found that the brakes lost their feel and while braking I had to go full throttle. Once I dropped the folks at the airport and started again, I started getting low brake fluid warning and also had continuous park warning in the speedometer. I called up my sales advisor and he asked me to switch off the car for 5 minutes and then check. This did not seem to resolve the issue and the same low brake fluid and red exclamation mark on the speedometer came again. I had to drive the whole way back at 40 km per hour just so that I could control the brakes as they still were working slightly but I was worried. I called up RSA and they were ready to tow the car but I did not like this option as did not want a brand new car to be towed. I then got in touch with the sales advisor again and he gave me the number of their service advisor who will come and pick up the car tomorrow to check the issue.

My questions:
1. Is this normal to happen to a brand new car which has been driven for less than 500 kms?
2. I found it a big safety risk considering just before the brakes stopped functioning properly, I was doing highway speeds and if something would have happened then, God knows what would have happened. What can I do to avoid such a situation in future?
3. What exactly could be the issue for a car to lose braking power so early in its life cycle? Can it only be low brake fluid? What else will the service team check?
4. Is it not responsibility of Jeep to make sure that the brake fluid and any other oils are good for atleast 5000 kms or 1 year which is standard in the industry?

Looking for your guidance.

Last edited by Anand2712 : 7th February 2022 at 00:43. Reason: Added couple of more points
Anand2712 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:09   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
My questions:
1. Is this normal to happen to a brand new car which has been driven for less than 500 kms?
2. I found it a big safety risk considering just before the brakes stopped functioning properly, I was doing highway speeds and if something would have happened then, God knows what would have happened. What can I do to avoid such a situation in future?
3. What exactly could be the issue for a car to lose braking power so early in its life cycle? Can it only be low brake fluid? What else will the service team check?
4. Is it not responsibility of Jeep to make sure that the brake fluid and any other oils are good for atleast 5000 kms or 1 year which is standard in the industry?
1. Obviously, this is not normal for a brand new car or any car for that matter.
2. You should stop as soon as safely possible after a problem like this occurs and call for breakdown service. It is probably not wise to continue on at any speed if brakes are not functioning normally.
3. I guess service centre will analyse and inform. Only thing I could think is a leakage somewhere resulting in low brake fluid.
4. Haven't heard of anyone else on this forum at least of having this problem in such a new Compass.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 7th February 2022 at 10:11.
Fusion2006 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:21   #3262
BHPian

Does anyone here use 3D Kagu Beige colour mats? If yes, could you please post some photos or feedback on it. Confused whether to go for Black or Beige.I like to have more airy feel to interior ( may be Beige is better that way ).

https://3dmatsindia.com/product/jeep...ar-floor-mats/ shows INR 12,250. I am currently using the Premium mats the dealer delivered ( its not good for rough use ).
Old 7th February 2022, 11:07   #3263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today while going to the airport I was doing highway speeds. Just when I reached the airport, I found that the brakes lost their feel and while braking I had to go full throttle. Once I dropped the folks at the airport and started again, I started getting low brake fluid warning and also had continuous park warning in the speedometer. .
Sounds like the parking brake did not release while you were driving. But I could be wrong , please do update us as to what happened.
Old 7th February 2022, 13:00   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice from folks here. I had bought my jeep compass limited AT petrol variant on Jan 7, 2022 from KHT Bangalore.

Today while going to the airport I was doing highway speeds. Just when I reached the airport, I found that the brakes lost their feel and while braking I had to go full throttle. Once I dropped the folks at the airport and started again, I started getting low brake fluid warning and also had continuous park warning in the speedometer. I called up my sales advisor and he asked me to switch off the car for 5 minutes and then check. This did not seem to resolve the issue and the same low brake fluid and red exclamation mark on the speedometer came again. I had to drive the whole way back at 40 km per hour just so that I could control the brakes as they still were working slightly but I was worried. I called up RSA and they were ready to tow the car but I did not like this option as did not want a brand new car to be towed. I then got in touch with the sales advisor again and he gave me the number of their service advisor who will come and pick up the car tomorrow to check the issue.

My questions:

Looking for your guidance.
If you happen to be shift to "N" with park brake enabled manually, shifting to "D" wont disengage it automatically [ stating this as I didnt notice the brakes engaged once, but usually you will notice the strain on engines ].
Old 7th February 2022, 13:48   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
1. Obviously, this is not normal for a brand new car or any car for that matter.
2. You should stop as soon as safely possible after a problem like this occurs and call for breakdown service. It is probably not wise to continue on at any speed if brakes are not functioning normally.
3. I guess service centre will analyse and inform. Only thing I could think is a leakage somewhere resulting in low brake fluid.
4. Haven't heard of anyone else on this forum at least of having this problem in such a new Compass.
Thank you! Someone from the service center visited my residence and confirmed that the brake fluid is leaking as the brake hose has broken down. Infact during the initial diagnosis he was topping up the brake fluid and asked me to press the brake pedal and now it seems to be leaking like crazy. There was no other option and the car had to be towed to the service center for further diagnosis and fixing the issue.

I am still concerned that this happened to my car so early in it's life cycle. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope that they can fix the issue and it does not repeat again.
Anand2712 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:50   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Does anyone here use 3D Kagu Beige colour mats? If yes, could you please post some photos or feedback on it. Confused whether to go for Black or Beige.I like to have more airy feel to interior ( may be Beige is better that way ).

https://3dmatsindia.com/product/jeep...ar-floor-mats/ shows INR 12,250. I am currently using the Premium mats the dealer delivered ( its not good for rough use ).
Please contact them directly on their whatsapp number which should be available on the site. The last quote I had one week ago from them was for 9200.
Anand2712 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:58   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Now, coming to the engine & automatic gearbox, I'm bowled over. Same engine in Harriers & Hectors feels different (overall package). But the ZF gearbox is charm, it didn't seemed hunting when I wanted to push the vehicle & shifts weren't noticable.
It is interesting you found the gearbox to be sorted. That was an issue pointed out by many previously, that the gearbox was 'confused' and/or lethargic to sudden input.
I wonder if they have made changes or updates since the initial batch to the tuning of the box.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:04   #3268
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Someone from the service center visited my residence and confirmed that the brake fluid is leaking as the brake hose has broken down. Infact during the initial diagnosis he was topping up the brake fluid and asked me to press the brake pedal and now it seems to be leaking like crazy. There was no other option and the car had to be towed to the service center for further diagnosis and fixing the issue.

I am still concerned that this happened to my car so early in it's life cycle. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope that they can fix the issue and it does not repeat again.
Sorry to hear about this. Please post on what the service center says as the real cause ( must be manufacturing defect - but so far no one reported this in any of the threads. )
Old 7th February 2022, 14:06   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post

Honestly it would be the worst idea to have beige mats.
Personally it doesnt look good for me even when it is new - definitely not in Compass which has more sporty theme, might look good for luxury cars like E / S class (still I wouldn't go for beige).
While above is personal preference, the fact is it is definitely not suited for Indian conditions, where your mat will get soiled easily. Just imaging every drive you would need to keep staring at that dirt.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:36   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It is interesting you found the gearbox to be sorted. That was an issue pointed out by many previously, that the gearbox was 'confused' and/or lethargic to sudden input.
I wonder if they have made changes or updates since the initial batch to the tuning of the box.
As far as I remember, gearbox issue is sorted & out Moda have confirmed it (check few pages back).

But, still when I wanted to gun it it responded without any hesitation. It was a BS6 vehicle & I could easily do 90 kmph in open but restricted space.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks