Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 09:15   #2551
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hello All,

I have noticed Compass owners on Facebook groups frequently complaining about issues. Problems like rattling, noises, fuel pump, stiff clutch, car suddenly stopping and lately, one of the owners posted a video of water leaking inside the cabin. All these issues make me assume that the quality control in the Compass is not good, and the long term reliability will be an issue.

1) How would you rate Compass on long term reliability on a scale of 1 to 10?
2) Compass Diesel MT has a long clutch travel and shorter first gear, is it challenging to drive in bumper to bumper city traffic?
3) Is the clutch plate burning issue resolved in facelifted version?
4) Are owners facing issues with fuel pumps and injectors?
5) The colours on most of the Compass looks dull when compared to other cars. Example white looks off white on old Compass and while the one in the showroom or the new one is clear white.
6) I am 5’5 and had to pull my seat more towards steering, due to which my knees are very close to the lower dash panel under the steering wheel. A gap of 2-3 inches remains between my knees and the panel. The chances of injuring knees can be high in case of a frontal crash.

I am confused between Jeep Compass Limited (O) Diesel MT and Hyundai Tucson 2WD AT GL (O) to replace my SX4 Zxi (2011). Any recommendation on which will be a better option will be helpful. 90% of the time the new car will be used in the city. We keep our vehicles for 10+ years due to low running. I assume yearly usage will be only 5k on the new car as we will also be using my other car Aspire TDCi.

The Tucson has more boot space on offer with a more powerful engine tuned to smoot AT and comes with Hyundai premium assurance. I found the ride quality and space in the rear seat similar on both though not sure as the test drive on Tucson was pretty short.

Neither Compass nor Tucson sold in India is tested by GNCAP. I have read in team-bhp forum that due to the oil filter placement for the 2.0 Multijet engines behind the ‘ABC’ pedals during a frontal impact, the oil filter and some other associated parts may intrude through and push the ABC pedals inwards. This may cause leg injury. Not sure if we should consider this aspect or not. But my knee is closer to the panel under the steering wheel in Compass when compared with Tucson. Please let me know what do you think, which one out of two will be a more safe car?
Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:07   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post

Service Experience

The incident happened on Saturday and I called Jeep Landmark Andheri (Mumbai) on Monday. The insurance guy (Go Digit) was prompt and asked me to go to Ghodbunder(Thane) as the workshop is only in Thane. Basically 1 workshop for a city as massive as Mumbai.
Just so I understand this correctly, If I buy a Jeep Compass in Bombay I have to drive all the way to Thane to service my vehicle everytime?
i.e. there's just the one dealer for Jeep in Bombay and his service center is only in Thane??

Last edited by Maky : 27th July 2021 at 10:08.
Old 27th July 2021, 10:32   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Just so I understand this correctly, If I buy a Jeep Compass in Bombay I have to drive all the way to Thane to service my vehicle everytime?
i.e. there's just the one dealer for Jeep in Bombay and his service center is only in Thane??
No. Jeep has a service center in Andheri which can perform your regular service is my understanding however for any bodyshop related problems, they will have to take the car to Thane. It's either you take it there or they take care of the transport(which adds delays) but yes that's the bottleneck. Hope that makes sense.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:01   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
Hello All,

2) Compass Diesel MT has a long clutch travel and shorter first gear, is it challenging to drive in bumper to bumper city traffic?
Yes, you will have to get used to the long clutch travel and the shorter gear ratio. In heavy bumper to bumper traffic, you will be forced to use half clutch or lower to first gear (mine is a 2018 model).
Quote:
As far as I know, these two issues were fixed in 2018 itself.

Regarding the facelifted model, I am seeing more battery/infotainment related issues. Rattling issue was part of earlier models as well, especially from the door-panel and in some cases from the dashboard.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:17   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, you will have to get used to the long clutch travel and the shorter gear ratio. In heavy bumper to bumper traffic, you will be forced to use half clutch or lower to first gear (mine is a 2018 model).
As far as I know, these two issues were fixed in 2018 itself.
The half clutch with the accelerator will damage the clutch plates. Does this mean that the clutches will be prone to damages due to this?

or

Do you mean that to allow the car to crawl in bumper to bumper traffic, release the clutch fully / use half clutch without the accelerator? Will this not result in any damage to the clutch plates?
Old 28th July 2021, 07:50   #2556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The half clutch with the accelerator will damage the clutch plates. Does this mean that the clutches will be prone to damages due to this?

or

Do you mean that to allow the car to crawl in bumper to bumper traffic, release the clutch fully / use half clutch without the accelerator? Will this not result in any damage to the clutch plates?
Yes, half clutch is not a good idea. So, when in heavy bumper to bumper traffic at times I down shift to 1st gear to avoid using half clutch. But if you continue to be on second gear then you will have to use half clutch.

It is all about getting used to the torque and clutch/gear ratio.

If your usage within city is going to be heavy, then do a proper test drive under heavy traffic condition.

Last edited by arun_josie : 28th July 2021 at 07:52.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 08:51   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Problems like rattling, noises, fuel pump, stiff clutch, car suddenly stopping and lately, one of the owners posted a video of water leaking inside the cabin. All these issues make me assume that the quality control in the Compass is not good, and the long term reliability will be an issue.
Having been on the receiving end of this, without a second's hesitation I would say that the Compass does lack overall quality on the interiors at least. Not sure how the new one is, but going by the overall materials/fit of the older model, I'm sure the new one won't be significantly better. (Note that I am not talking about the design. Just the fit, and overall quality)

Having rattles in a car that costs 30L+ at any stage during its life is less than ideal. And going by what I have experienced so far, with a Compass it's just a matter of time before the interiors start rattling.

Quote:
1) How would you rate Compass on long term reliability on a scale of 1 to 10?
Not sure about long term. I've owner it for 10-11 months and have visited the SVC 5-6 times already. Mostly for trying to get a dashboard noise rectified, which they are unable to fix.

Quote:
I had the BS4 Compass for a few days as a loaner. Coming from an AT, I found the clutch a tad hard. Will surely be cumbersome if you have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic every day.

Quote:
6) I am 5’5 and had to pull my seat more towards steering, due to which my knees are very close to the lower dash panel under the steering wheel. A gap of 2-3 inches remains between my knees and the panel. The chances of injuring knees can be high in case of a frontal crash.
You could try pulling the steering closer to you rather than pushing the seat closer to the dashboard.

Quote:
I am confused between Jeep Compass Limited (O) Diesel MT and Hyundai Tucson 2WD AT GL (O) to replace my SX4 Zxi (2011). Any recommendation on which will be a better option will be helpful. 90% of the time the new car will be used in the city. We keep our vehicles for 10+ years due to low running. I assume yearly usage will be only 5k on the new car as we will also be using my other car Aspire TDCi.

The Tucson has more boot space on offer with a more powerful engine tuned to smoot AT and comes with Hyundai premium assurance. I found the ride quality and space in the rear seat similar on both though not sure as the test drive on Tucson was pretty short.
The low speed ride of the Compass isn't great, whereas I felt Tucson was better. On the highways however, the Compass feels very stable, and specially on mildly bad roads, it does not let the road filter in at all.
I think seat space would be better on the Tucson.
NVH levels on the Compass are pretty good (downside is that you hear the rattles more ), but I've read somewhere that Tucson NVH levels are even better.

Given a choice today, having been through what I've been through now, I'd choose the Tucson 11/10 times over the Compass.

Quote:
Neither Compass nor Tucson sold in India is tested by GNCAP. I have read in team-bhp forum that due to the oil filter placement for the 2.0 Multijet engines behind the ‘ABC’ pedals during a frontal impact, the oil filter and some other associated parts may intrude through and push the ABC pedals inwards. This may cause leg injury. Not sure if we should consider this aspect or not. But my knee is closer to the panel under the steering wheel in Compass when compared with Tucson. Please let me know what do you think, which one out of two will be a more safe car?
Not sure about this, but mechanically I wouldn't doubt the Compass much. It's quite a safe car overall, and is one of the reasons that pulled me towards it. I don't think this should be a differentiating factor between the Tucson, and Compass. Both would score equally well here.
Old 28th July 2021, 08:59   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post

Having rattles in a car that costs 30L+ at any stage during its life is less than ideal. And going by what I have experienced so far, with a Compass it's just a matter of time before the interiors start rattling.

Solving the rattling rubbing noises in the Compass is fairly simple, and I had explained it ony ownership thread.
There are two things you need:
A good Silicone spray (wuerth is a good brand which you can get on Amazon).
Spray this in the dashboard binnacle where the two plastic parts rub against each other. Also spray this at the A pillar Joint and also at the front of the dash (near the windshield). This will solve the rubbing/ scraping noises.

Second source of rattling is from the door locks. On the door lock latch, apply a few rounds of duct tape so that the play in the lock with the latch is eliminated.

Thirdly, spray all the door beadings and the door rubbers with the same silicone spray.

These three things will make your in car experience much quieter.

The fit and build of the Jeep Compass (Gen 1) is also very good, but in India the hot weather causes issues and I have experienced the same also in my Skoda cars too.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:00   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

5) The colours on most of the Compass looks dull when compared to other cars. Example white looks off white on old Compass and while the one in the showroom or the new one is clear white.

2) Try the new Compass Manual. The clutch is lighter than my father's Diesel Vento but definitely a little harder than Petrol Polo. The travel is a bit longer than Petrol Polo. However the ability to literally fly in 2.0 Diesel (thanks to that Torque) is something I enjoy a lot on the highways which is difficult with a Petrol engine.

3) I believe this was fixed in earlier models itself. I have extended warranty for peace of mind till Year 5. If this is a problem might have to sell the car or keep it exclusively for long drives after year 5.

4) Our Vento injector change was suggested at 75k kms. We sold it @90k. The next owner drove the car till 1.5l kms without changing it however Diesel cars need these to be replaced is what i heard. Again hopefully Extended Warranty will help.

5) I am not sure what you mean. I see many old Compass on road which shine much more than Cretas around and vice versa. It all depends on your maintenance. Your 5 year old car may not look the same if parked in open, on road and not maintained.

6) Valid point. I am always worried about this as well with me being 5.7. Yesterday I was driving in bumper to bumper and adjusted my seat in the long 30 min drive of 3 kms. I feel I have got the perfect setting now which hurts my leg the least however knee is relatively close. My suggestion is you can save 2 seat settings in Limited and above. Save 1 for the highway with decent space and another 1 for the bumper to bumper days.

Finally, Compass vs Tucson, I just feel Jeep to be more exclusive. I don't think one can spend more than a Creta on Hyundai. I have not driven a Tucson to comment on anything else but from what i have read it is a great car as well if you go down that path.

Last edited by abhatt : 28th July 2021 at 09:13.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:49   #2560
BHPian

Some good news!!
I was out of station for last 10 days & my Jeep was lying idle in garage. Today the 11th day when I cranked the engine, it started in one go. The battery voltage is also showing as 14.1 in the MID. I think the software update has indeed solved the battery drain issue. Very happy!! ��

Regards,
Bineet
Bineet_D is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:30   #2561

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can refer to my below post for maintenance and service experience details,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5036914

Make sure to take the extended warranty, especially if you are planning to keep the car beyond 3 years.
Thank you arun_josie , did check out your review - an Awesome one! Happy to hear that you're happy with your Scarlett
Old 28th July 2021, 11:54   #2562
BHPian

I also hear a small noise sometimes in my new car. Unfortunately it does not happen always and its mainly when I drive so unable to isolate it yet. I think its coming from the roof shade hitting the glass roof. When I press it against the roof it's gone but needs a few more tests to confirm.

If anyone has experienced something similar and has a fix please share.

I have my music to the rescue until then.

Last edited by abhatt : 28th July 2021 at 11:58.
Old 28th July 2021, 12:58   #2563
BHPian

These are niggles which ultimately boils down to quality. As far as my experience goes with Fiat cars, I can say that their cars are well designed and mechanically sound but there are basically 2 negative factors which have affected them directly and those are 1. quality - niggles, though minor are very common and 2. mileage - mostly wrt their petrol cars.
I had a Palio S10 for 3 years and almost every month, I would have to take the car to have something small but irritating rectified or fixed. The city mileage was between 6-7 kmpl and highway mileage never exceeded 12.
Most of the Fiat owners I knew felt the same, that the cars were solidly built, were a pleasure to drive but were of iffy quality.
I've had 4 cars after the S10, which include the old Baleno, the Vento and my current Ecosport(ecoboost) and the Baleno CVT.
Guess what...I still miss the S10.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:05   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Having been on the receiving end of this, without a second's hesitation I would say that the Compass does lack overall quality on the interiors at least. Not sure how the new one is, but going by the overall materials/fit of the older model, I'm sure the new one won't be significantly better. (Note that I am not talking about the design. Just the fit, and overall quality)
The number of complaints on the Facebook group indicates the same.

Quote:
My 2011 SX4 (Petrol) has very little rattling, while 2015 Aspire TDCi does. Though it's irritating, I can live with it as I paid around 9L and knew it's nowhere near a premium segment.

Paying 25L on a car that rattles is undoubtedly not a pleasant experience.

Quote:
Not sure about long term. I've owner it for 10-11 months and have visited the SVC 5-6 times already. Mostly for trying to get a dashboard noise rectified, which they are unable to fix.
Apart from dashboard noise, any mechanical issues which you faced?

Quote:
I had the BS4 Compass for a few days as a loaner. Coming from an AT, I found the clutch a tad hard. Will surely be cumbersome if you have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic every day.

You could try pulling the steering closer to you rather than pushing the seat closer to the dashboard.
The clutch was smoother than my Asipre however due to the long clutch travel it was uncomfortable. The steering was pulled towards me still the space between my knee and panel below the steering was very less.

Quote:
Given a choice today, having been through what I've been through now, I'd choose the Tucson 11/10 times over the Compass.

I have not read many issues with Tucson, but the number of people buying Tucson in India is also on the lower side, so maybe we hear fewer complaints. Still, I feel Tucson will be more reliable.
Old 28th July 2021, 15:35   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
3) I believe this was fixed in earlier models itself. I have extended warranty for peace of mind till Year 5. If this is a problem might have to sell the car or keep it exclusively for long drives after year 5.
As Arun mentioned in bumper to bumper traffic we will be forced to use half clutch. I have used half clutch on my Aspire diesel multiple times, 41K on odo and still no issues.

Quote:
4) Our Vento injector change was suggested at 75k kms. We sold it @90k. The next owner drove the car till 1.5l kms without changing it however Diesel cars need these to be replaced is what i heard. Again hopefully Extended Warranty will help.
Not sure if fuel pump and fuel injectors can be replaced under warranty. Without the warranty, it will be heavy on pockets. We keep our vehicles for 10+ years due to low running.

Quote:
5) I am not sure what you mean. I see many old Compass on road which shine much more than Cretas around and vice versa. It all depends on your maintenance. Your 5 year old car may not look the same if parked in open, on road and not maintained.
Agreed that it will depend on how your car is maintained, but the paint quality seen on most of the Compass is not up to the mark. I mean, when you see it from a distance, the colours seem off. Mainly white always looks off white on Compass.

Quote:
6) Valid point. I am always worried about this as well with me being 5.7. Yesterday I was driving in bumper to bumper and adjusted my seat in the long 30 min drive of 3 kms. I feel I have got the perfect setting now which hurts my leg the least however knee is relatively close. My suggestion is you can save 2 seat settings in Limited and above. Save 1 for the highway with decent space and another 1 for the bumper to bumper days.
Does lowering the seats helps?

Quote:
Finally, Compass vs Tucson, I just feel Jeep to be more exclusive. I don't think one can spend more than a Creta on Hyundai. I have not driven a Tucson to comment on anything else but from what i have read it is a great car as well if you go down that path.
The visual appearance of interiors in Tucson is nowhere close to Compass. The Diesel engine is powerful than Compass, and gear shifts are smooth(AT).

Hyundai premium assurance, wider service network, more powerful engine and long-term reliability (not sure on this) are the strong points.

The downside is that it can be easily mistaken as old generation Creta and I will have to stretch my budget by 1.5 to 1.7L

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks