Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 09:12   #2641
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
I believe the ex-showroom price of Longitude D is 20,69,000. Are you getting cash discount upfront on this variant? There might be some room to bring down the logistics charges.
Jeep Compass is perfect for highway drives, especially if you are looking for manual. Other cars don't stand a chance in terms of driving dynamics as well as interiors.
Thanks for the input. Let me check with the dealer for a discount on logistics charges. Presently there is small cash discount on Longitude 2.0D MT variant.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:10   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post

Longitude (o) 2.0 MT
Ex-Showroom: 19,74,000
TCS @ 1%: 19,740
RTO & Logistics: 4,26,986
Insurance: 61,826 (Own)
Ex Warranty: 35,000
Accessories: FOC
Total: 25,17,552

Should we consider any other car? Thanks a lot in advance.
May I ask from which dealer you got this quote. The recent price I saw was 26.72lac with an ex showroom price of 20.69lac from PPS motors.
Old 18th August 2021, 12:02   #2643
RDG

I think there is a cash discount running just on Longitude variant, both for Petrol and Diesel. Members who have recently booked can confirm. To my knowledge, 95K on diesel and 76K on Petrol.
RDG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:42   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post

Should we consider any other car? Thanks a lot in advance.
1) Harrier dark edition.

With five years warranty, the on-road price in Ahmedabad is Rs 24,28,929, and the amount decided was Rs 23,50,000, including a 40k exchange bonus.
  • I liked the sport mode and gear shifts. The gear is a six-speed torque converter from an older Hyundai Tucson. More spacious than Compass and has a better road presence.
  • The steering is light enough to drive in the city, but I felt it was more sensitive to inputs at higher speeds.
  • The steering is hard when the car is not in motion. This may be an issue for someone when parking in a tight spot.

What I didn’t like was the sitting posting. My knees touched the left panel a lot once I adjusted the seat to reach the A and B pedals without any effort.

If I lowered the seat and moved it back, I had to extend my legs to reach the A and B pedals, which was uncomfortable for me. I am 5'6. Someone with shorter femur length might not find this to be a issue.

I was comfortable in moving Harrier in and out from my parking space but my father was not. So we dropped the idea.

2) Tucson GL Opt Diesel AT.

On road price in Ahmedabad is Rs 28,30,000. I was offerred a discount of 90k.
  • More spacious than Compas.
  • Super smooth engine and gearbox. A lot of punch on offer.
  • Wider service network and Hyundai premium assurance.
  • Bigger boot space and headrest for the middle passenger.
  • The brakes were not very responsive.
  • Compass is a better handler and is more fun to drive.

The front looks like old Creta and the back like i20. Interiors may not be to everyone likings. Being a CKD, I am not sure about the parts availability.

Quote:
Limited (o) 2.0 MT
Ex-Showroom: 22,69,000
TCS @ 1%: 22,690
RTO & Logistics: 4,66,946
Insurance: 68,592 (Own)
Ex Warranty: 40,000
Accessories: FOC
Total: 28,67,228
I was offered a discount of Rs 1.03.000. Please note that the insurance prices were already bumped up very high.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-photo20210727171342.jpg  

Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:07   #2645
BHPian

I am sharing my today’s experiences with FCA.

1) I received a call from a senior who is working in FCA after requesting a call.

I have expressed my interest in getting my Compass with the manufactured date of post-June 2021 with the dealer and FCA. I am not in a hurry can wait till October or November 2021 if needed.

This representative said that usually, there is a manufacturing cycle of 45 to 50 days.

I asked him can you (FCA) update the dealer with the VIN before you dispatch the vehicle to him, or the dealer will come to know only when the vehicle reaches their stockyard? The representative had no clear answer to this.

He later on said Sir ‘pata nahi aap ke dimag mein kya hai’ but this is a machine, and the machine can fail. We are providing an extended warranty of up to 5 years.

I said I do not want the dealer to bear the loss (which they said they would if I reject the vehicle once it reaches their stockyard) or to have unwanted conflict. This representative says that this dealer is one of our oldest dealers and also deals with our CBU units (Wrangler). Rejecting a car or not is between you and the dealer, and there is nothing else that he can do.

It seemed that since the dealer is huge (have other dealerships of other manufacturers as well), FCA can’t intervene a lot.

I don’t know what I am asking or requesting for is too much of a deal?

2) A Compass owner posted in a Facebook group complaining that the cladding is coming off in a week old 2021 Compass. I tagged #JeepIndia, and to my surprise, the post was deleted within minutes.

Before the post was deleted:
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2159.png  

Abhisheksinh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:20   #2646
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post

I have expressed my interest in getting my Compass with the manufactured date of post-June 2021 with the dealer and FCA. I am not in a hurry can wait till October or November 2021 if needed.
I can narrate my experience so far and the insights that I have. I booked 1.4 DDCT Sport on 21st July. Was called for a PDI on 31st July, however was not satisfied with the vehicle. The SM at dealership tried to clear my doubts but after seeing that I am hesitant, he said to leave the vehicle If I am not satisfied and he will arrange another one.
It seems like Sport and Longitude variants are less in production and the FCA is focusing on higher variants. So the July/August manufacturing is very unlikely for Sport/Longitude variant.

Right now my car is in transit from the plant and hoping to do PDI this weekend. So far my experience with the dealership has been good.
RDG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:50   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
I asked him can you (FCA) update the dealer with the VIN before you dispatch the vehicle to him, or the dealer will come to know only when the vehicle reaches their stockyard? The representative had no clear answer to this.
Like I said before, according to my SA, they get the VIN as soon as they make the payment for the car on their end and the car gets allocated to them. Let me explain it a bit more with my exact experience and maybe that would help you out.

I had booked the anniversary edition with WSL Chandigarh at the end of February 2021 and was given a waiting period of about 6-8 weeks (so around mid to end of April 2021). I had been taking constant updates with the SA about the expected delivery and after about 3-4 weeks (end of March 2021), was informed that due to the shortage of chips and my insistence on the particular colour and particular variant that I wanted, the waiting period would get extended by about another 4-6 weeks (that translates to end of May to mid-June 2021) and even that was not set in stone. I said ok because frankly, I did not have any choice and was not in any hurry to get the car as well. Then, at the end of April, I get a call from the SA that there might be one car available. He said that the factory was producing a car that was allotted to a dealer in another city but that dealer was getting iffy about making the payment (maybe their customer was backing out of the booking) so FCA was going to open up that car for other dealers and my SA just wanted confirmation if I was still interested in getting the car so that they can allot funds in their bank account for FCA to debit as soon as the car is free for allocation to the others. I confirmed my interest and asked him when can I get the proforma invoice so that I can submit it to my bank and get approval for the loan. He informed me that as soon as FCA debits the funds from their account they will get the VIN number of that car which they will then put on the proforma invoice for the bank. Unluckily, that car never got freed up for the others because the original dealer went through with their payment and got the car.

Fast forward a month (around 18th of May, 2021), and this time the SA does call me with the good news that my car was under production and that they had got the allocation for it. He then sent me the proforma invoice the next day with the VIN that I could send to my banker. So even before the car was shipped out to the dealer, I had the VIN with me. The car was then delivered to the dealership after about 10 days from allocation. On the 11th day, I went for the PDI and on the 13th day, I took delivery of it.

I don't know why your dealer is saying that they don't have the VIN because they should have it. Maybe it could be because the car has been standing in their stockyard for quite some time now. Or maybe, they don't want to allot a particular car to you and after getting their lot of cars, decide which car to give to which customer (just thinking of any reason why they don't want to give you the VIN). My SA had called me in March asking if I wanted to change my colour preference because they were getting a car of the same variant but grey in colour within the week and I could take delivery of it within the next week, but I said no. When I went to take delivery of my car on 1st of June, that same grey car was still in their showroom waiting to be sold. Have you got a proforma invoice from the dealership? Maybe requesting one could get you the VIN Number.
jeeplife_newbie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 20:50   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplife_newbie View Post

I don't know why your dealer is saying that they don't have the VIN because they should have it. Maybe it could be because the car has been standing in their stockyard for quite some time now. Or maybe, they don't want to allot a particular car to you and after getting their lot of cars, decide which car to give to which customer (just thinking of any reason why they don't want to give you the VIN).
Not sure why they denied that. They have stock of few cars with them, and some of them have a manufacturing date of April and some manufactured before April.

The Sales Manager told me yesterday that they will inform me once they have a lot with a manufacturing date post-June 2021. He politely said that I could come to his stockyard and choose the car from the lot.

Strangely he mentioned that the techno green colour he has is from May, and earlier, they informed that all Limited Diesel MT are from the April lot.

The demand for techno green is high, and the most sold variant from their showroom is Limited petrol.

I will wait till September end or early October till the new lot post-June production come in. Till then I do not see any other car to choose from. I like Tucson, but I'm not too fond of its similarity to Creta and i20.
Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:22   #2649
BHPian

Hi Experts, May I check if there will be discounts by Jeep India during year end? As per the information's available in this forum, it appears that during year end Jeep offered discounts. Upon checking with the sales advisor, he told that there wont be any discount on New JC as the face lifted version launched in this year. I am in dilemma to book or wait till year end. Please advise if it is worth to wait till year end or procced with the booking? Thanks!
Old 20th August 2021, 09:41   #2650

Quote:
Not sure why they denied that. They have stock of few cars with them, and some of them have a manufacturing date of April and some manufactured before April.

The Sales Manager told me yesterday that they will inform me once they have a lot with a manufacturing date post-June 2021. He politely said that I could come to his stockyard and choose the car from the lot.

Strangely he mentioned that the techno green colour he has is from May, and earlier, they informed that all Limited Diesel MT are from the April lot.

The demand for techno green is high, and the most sold variant from their showroom is Limited petrol.

I will wait till September end or early October till the new lot post-June production come in. Till then I do not see any other car to choose from. I like Tucson, but I'm not too fond of its similarity to Creta and i20.
Hi Abhishek,

I read all of your posts relating your experience with Jeep so far. I will share my experience which kind of mirror your experience.

I was initially looking between Kushaq, Creta and Seltos. But after a TD with Compass, I just had to bump up my budget for Compass 2.0 Sport MT. After doing all my research on the forums I learnt about VIN and how to read it. I booked my Jeep sometime during the first week of Aug but did not confirm my color until 2nd week. I spoke with the Landmark SA that I be allotted a July manufactured vehicle and I dont mind waiting to avoid a similar scenario that you were worried about ie a car lying in the stockyard for several months. The SA said that it was impossible and the car that will be allotted will be 3 month old. During the discussion he mentioned that they dont have any Sport model in stockyard and any vehicle I get will come straight from factory. I asked him then why am I getting a 3month old car if its straight out of factory. He did not give me a concrete answer but said I was welcome to visit the stockyard and check out myself. Later, I did go and found no Sport model but 5 units other models(Limited and S). These were already allotted for delivery. Still dissatisfied, I connected with a FCA sales person to seek if the vehicles were indeed lying around in factory for 3 months before being sent out to dealers, because this would be strange if true. Again, he did not give a clear answer but said, it wouldn't be out of ordinary for certain models/color combination to be 3 month old when being released from factory.

From all this talk, I'm assuming the Sport and Longitude are the lower selling variants. Although, I'm not happy with this aspect of my purchase experience, but it did not discourage me enough to re-evaluate whether I should go ahead with the purchase. At the moment I'm still awaiting the car to be delivered to the stockyard.
d3thknell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 19:01   #2651
BHPian

Test drove the Compass petrol DDCT S variant today at Landmark Worli. This was the first time I have driven the Compass. Drove it for a distance of about 7 kms . The car had 5800 kms on the odo.

Impressions from the drive:
1. Engine is audible though not harsh on the outside. Much less inside. Typical italian bred and it definitely means business.
2. Moving from a standstill is sluggish. You need to get the revs up to about 2-2.5 k to get the bulk moving. With practice, this can be managed for me at least.
3. The car had just come back from a TD and when I took it over, the average mileage showed 5.5 in the MID. For the first couple of kms or so, it stayed there and after the 7kms it increased to 6 which was probably due to me driving the car in a style that improved the efficiency. And mind you, there was no concerted effort to wring max fuel efficiency out of it. I feel that if driven correctly, mileage of around 8 can be achieved in normal city traffic. Could go down to around 6 in b2b traffic. Auto start-stop worked perfectly.
4. Lovely in gear acceleration. Excellent car for the highway in my view.
5. For me, the ride and handling balance was close to perfect. Firm ride though not overly so and confidence inspiring handling.
6. Fab interiors and interior quality. No unwanted sounds and good audio quality from the sound system. Luxury quotient in my opinion would be close to the big three Germans.

Overall impression is that from a relative perspective, the car does not seem VFM. But which luxury car would seem that way? On its own, I would say, it is VFM. My daughter was with me and she felt that the car was better than the X1 of her friends which she quite often travels in. I have driven a friends GLA, the previous gen, and I felt this was just as good. It certainly trumps my current 4 year old Ecosport Ecoboost Titanium+ in all areas except mileage probably.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 08:19   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Test drove the Compass petrol DDCT S variant today at Landmark Worli. This was the first time I have driven the Compass. Drove it for a distance of about 7 kms . The car had 5800 kms on the odo.

Impressions from the drive:
1. Engine is audible though not harsh on the outside. Much less inside. Typical italian bred and it definitely means business.
2. Moving from a standstill is sluggish. You need to get the revs up to about 2-2.5 k to get the bulk moving. With practice, this can be managed for me at least..
How was the transmission behaviour in traffic? Is it jerky? Almost everyone who has driven the petrol automatic has never been a fan of it. Given that mechanically as far as the engine and gearbox is concerned, it's the same as the pre facelift model.. I don't expect this to have improved or changed much?

Also if you haven't already, you should definitely try the diesel auto. I think you'll find it far superior to the petrol auto. I personally have only test driven the diesel auto and loved it. But the price premium has put a firm roadblock to my plans for this vehicle.

What's sorely missing is a diesel 4x2 option and competitive pricing. One only needs to look at the Harrier to see how a good non 4x4 option can be worked out to offer much greater VFM.

I'm not sure this "premium" only positioning will work for Jeep in the long run. Not if their quality levels continue to be hampered for the prices they are commanding.
Old 24th August 2021, 10:11   #2653
BHPian

Hi All,

I seem to have 2 peculiar problems with our compass and would appreciate any help.

We have a 2018 4x4 manual. The car has done 30k as of today. I spent the last week doing an expedition in Spiti valley. During that time I had to launch the car on steep inclines multiple times, which required me to slip the clutch. Now, while taking off in the 1st gear, the car moves easily without any extra effort or judder, however when taking off only in reverse gear, I am experiencing some judder, the judder increases as I release the clutch more and more.

The second problem is definitely related to the air intake. We drove through alot of dusty roads, which clogged the air filter to a crazy extent. What I experienced was, when at low speed (say 1st gear) and high rpm, while moving and I let off the accelerator, I feel a jerk as the car cuts the gas, this jerk is non existent when doing high speeds (I'm assuming since the engine is breathing much more easily). I cleaned the air filter, but the low speed high rpm jerk persists. Can anyone suggest what all should be cleaned in the air intake system to fix this.

Right now I'm quite faraway from any Jeep dealer, at least a days drive. Any suggestions on what I can ask a local garage to check would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 10:54   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
How was the transmission behaviour in traffic? Is it jerky? Almost everyone who has driven the petrol automatic has never been a fan of it. Given that mechanically as far as the engine and gearbox is concerned, it's the same as the pre facelift model.. I don't expect this to have improved or changed much?

Also if you haven't already, you should definitely try the diesel auto. I think you'll find it far superior to the petrol auto. I personally have only test driven the diesel auto and loved it. But the price premium has put a firm roadblock to my plans for this vehicle.

What's sorely missing is a diesel 4x2 option and competitive pricing. One only needs to look at the Harrier to see how a good non 4x4 option can be worked out to offer much greater VFM.

I'm not sure this "premium" only positioning will work for Jeep in the long run. Not if their quality levels continue to be hampered for the prices they are commanding.
Vandit, allow me to reply in the same order.

I did not experience heavy traffic as such but apart from the start off sluggishness, I did not experience anything untoward with the transmission. This laziness, in my opinion, appears to be a combination of gearing and turbo lag which is quite similar to my Ecosport Ecoboost (5 speed). I do not see this as an issue and a marginal adjustment in driving style can improve things. Other than this, the engine and tranny appear well matched.

Though I love the multijet diesels when it comes to driving pleasure, I have never owned a diesel because my running does not justify the extra outlay. Further, the petrol auto suits me fine as gauged during the test drive.

I fully agree that a diesel 4x2 auto could work well for Jeep but there appears a mathematical/margin reasoning behind the decision not to have it in the range. If VFM is the main reason to buy a car in this segment, the Harrier would still be preferred as it would be cheaper in any case. Though I have not driven the Harrier but sat and been driven in one, if I was in the market for a diesel in this segment, apart from back seat space, I see no other compelling reason to choose it over the Compass. The Compass is quite a bit ahead in most aspects.

This facelift seems to have justified Jeeps premium positioning and the numbers seem to suggest that it is working for them. I understand they have relevant new products in the pipeline and together with this, if they can do away with the niggles and improve their reach and service quality, this positioning strategy will keep them well afloat there.

Mods, please excuse the long post.
Old 24th August 2021, 16:49   #2655
BHPian

Hi All,

We are in a confusion to decide the Jeep Compass variants between petrol and diesel. Presently we are using Jazz MT & comfortable with manual transmission.

Usage pattern: Our yearly running will be approx. 10,000 KM & 90% on highway long drives. We took TD of Limited 2.0 D MT variant & felt comfortable except the back seat space. The car will be kept approx. 8 years. We prefer to have 6 Air Bags, Sun Roof & etc., So Limited variant suits to us. As per the usage level we prefer to have JC Limited Petrol MT, whereas this model is not available. On petrol Limited (o) 1.4MAIR DDCT is available. Going through the forum - looks like there are two main issues on the petrol AT (i). AT is jerky/sluggish (ii). Low mileage. On the other hand - Diesel variant is bit over for our kind of usage & might become a white elephant.

May I please seek your inputs/suggestions to take a decision between petrol Limited (o) 1.4 MAIR DDCT or diesel Limited (o) 2.0D MT. Budget is not a constrain for both the variants. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks