Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 22:18   #2671
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

As far as I know, only the Trailhawk variant had Low Ratio Box being simulated by the 1st gear Ratio programming+ ESP Combo. It even had Rock Mode, which used the virtual Low Ratio Box mode. Face-lifted Compass doesn't have a trailhawk variant as of yet.
Old 26th August 2021, 00:22   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Thanks a lot. May I please check how is the petrol DDCT performance during over taking another car speeding 100KMs
Once the car gets going and it's at highway speeds like 100 kmph, it is very easy to overtake others, but as I said before, you need to modulate your throttle input which you can learn with ease once you get it. You can't just push the throttle pedal to the metal literally and expect it to lunge forward immediately, but you modulate it (like about 80% throttle) and the car just zooms past anything that you wish and it's quite quick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
and also, performance during drive towards uphill? If the car needs to be parked in a steep slope and drive forward, is there any issue faced?
Uphill performance is good too. Never faced any issues at all. The exit slope out of the basement in my apartment complex is quite steep and narrow and at sort of a 90-degree turn, so halfway through the slope, I have to stop, reverse a little, and then go back up again, and I have never faced any power issues and the car goes up just fine.
jeeplife_newbie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:43   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hi Compass'ite's,

Wanted to know does the Compass 4x4 come with a low ratio torque multiplying transfer case or is it just a torque vectoring multi-pack, Haldex type clutch pack shuffling power between front to rear?
Hey, I have the manual 4x4. It doesn’t come with a low ratio. The facelift 4x4 auto locks into the 1st gear to simulate low ratio, however it’s nowhere similar to a proper one like in the Thar.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 09:17   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hi Compass'ite's,

Wanted to know does the Compass 4x4 come with a low ratio torque multiplying transfer case or is it just a torque vectoring multi-pack, Haldex type clutch pack shuffling power between front to rear?
Also, does the 2021 facelift have a Trailhawk variant?

Am seriously contemplating a 4x4, and with the death of the Duster AWD there are not many 4x4 options who can double up as a single car / daily driver.
The THAR cannot be used as a single car garage. And Vitamin - M does not permit me to look beyond Rs 3 million OTR.

Here is the complete overview of the Jeep Compass’s AWD system. It is supplied by GKN is is fitted in many cars including the compass. It uses an electronically locking rear differential that can disengage / engage the rear propellor shaft automatically.

There is no low ratio option although the options provided alter the power delivery to the wheels based on the traction mode selected from the dial. For example in loose traction it starts from 2nd gear to avoid wheel spin etc etc.

See this link for the GKN system details

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/f...ks-105402.html
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:22   #2675
BHPian

Comparing the Compass awd with Duster, there is an option of 2wd mode in the latter. Its good to have "Auto" mode always, but lets say im driving in city, would it not be better to drive in only 2wd mode.

Would it not pressurize the awd system even if it intervenes to reduce wheel spin on hard surface, not to mention better fuel efficiency in 2wd mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-compass-v-duster.png  

Old 26th August 2021, 11:30   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Comparing the Compass awd with Duster, there is an option of 2wd mode in the latter. Its good to have "Auto" mode always, but lets say im driving in city, would it not be better to drive in only 2wd mode.

Would it not pressurize the awd system even if it intervenes to reduce wheel spin on hard surface, not to mention better fuel efficiency in 2wd mode.
From what I understand the AUTO mode always puts the compass in 2WD on flat surfaces. The 4WD kicks in ONLY when there is loss of traction in one of the wheels and that rarely ever happens in regular city driving.
scarezebra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:40   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
From what I understand the AUTO mode always puts the compass in 2WD on flat surfaces. The 4WD kicks in ONLY when there is loss of traction in one of the wheels and that rarely ever happens in regular city driving.
Small correction:
In Jeep Compass 4x4, the 4WD is engaged only once you push the requisite button. Till then its a 4x2.

Once you engage the 4x4, one has the option to select a terrain mode (snow, mud, sand which offer different degrees of traction) or let it be on auto wherein sensors decide the level of traction required basis feedback from the wheels.
Old 26th August 2021, 11:54   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
This is an excerpt from official review, i was referring to this scenario of wheelspin.

"The AWD will also kick in when you are on a dry road and just floor the accelerator for a better launch (avoids wheel spin). Jeep claims that the transfer to AWD takes place in 300 milliseconds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrokneel View Post
Small correction:
In Jeep Compass 4x4, the 4WD is engaged only once you push the requisite button. Till then its a 4x2.

Once you engage the 4x4, one has the option to select a terrain mode (snow, mud, sand which offer different degrees of traction) or let it be on auto wherein sensors decide the level of traction required basis feedback from the wheels.
In prefacelift, if you see the picture above, with Auto on 4wd lock is not selected, so its a need based awd. Once 4wd is selected for any mode, the transmission gets locked in 1st gear.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 16:17   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Once 4wd is selected for any mode, the transmission gets locked in 1st gear.

Once 4WD mode is selected - Power is distributed to all 4 wheels. All gears can be engaged.
It does not lock into 1st gear.

For it to lock into 1st gear - there has to be the 4WD Lo mode - IMO - I think only the Trail Hawk comes with.
Old 26th August 2021, 17:08   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Once 4WD mode is selected - Power is distributed to all 4 wheels. All gears can be engaged.
It does not lock into 1st gear.
Thats right, which is the default Auto mode even without selecting the 4WD lock.

Quote:
For it to lock into 1st gear - there has to be the 4WD Lo mode - IMO - I think only the Trail Hawk comes with.
Thats right that there is no selectable 4Low, as the first gear is very short (even in Duster awd), may be the performance in these modes would be mapped to this.

Would be interesting to know from owners, what gear/speeds were done with 4WD lock activated.
Old 26th August 2021, 20:00   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Thats right, which is the default Auto mode
Default auto mode engages 4WD on demand - not always / continuously.

Quote:
even without selecting the 4WD lock.
When you select 4WD lock - only then, power is distributed to all 4 wheels - irrespective of whether its necessary or not - that is continuously - till such time 4WD lock is disabled.
Old 26th August 2021, 21:01   #2682
BHPian

Quote:

When you select 4WD lock - only then, power is distributed to all 4 wheels - irrespective of whether its necessary or not - that is continuously - till such time 4WD lock is disabled.
Right. If 4wd is locked with any mode, will there be any restriction on the gear/speed, conditions permitting.
Old 26th August 2021, 22:17   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Right. If 4wd is locked with any mode, will there be any restriction on the gear/speed, conditions permitting.
No restrictions on gears or speed, conditions permitting.
Old 27th August 2021, 09:00   #2684
BHPian

Completed a road trip from Bangalore to Haridwar (Uttarakhand), 2300 Kms on 3.5 days last week.

Route: Bangalore, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Seoni, Narsinghpur, Sagar, Jhansi, Gwalior, Agra, Noida, Meerut, Haridwar.

Stay: Hyderabad, Seoni, Gwalior

Each day driven: ~ 600 kms

Talking about the vehicle: SPORTS DDCT, amazing drive, no discomfort throughout the trip, very very comfortable trip, cruising non stop around 120 kmph. Mileage ~11.8 (possible up to 12.5 if you drive under 2000 RPMs).

Car was just driven 250 kms before this trip as I got the delivery in first week of August.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210821_161323.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210821_155804.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210820_132957.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210820_120054.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210819_164459.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20210819_162321.jpg  

RealAbhinavRajp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:25   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
No restrictions on gears or speed, conditions permitting.
Thanks, would be an interesting drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks