Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 23:38   #2791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
@quoter - Just wanted to check how brutal is the fuel efficiency of Petrol AT? Really doubt fuel efficiency alone can justify switch to 4x4 diesel AT..
If you do very spirited city driving or drive for very short distances: 5 kmpl or less
Regular driving in stop start city traffic: 5 - 7 kmpl
Regular driving in city: 7 - 10 kmpl
Highway runs: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoter View Post
If you do very spirited city driving or drive for very short distances: 5 kmpl or less
Regular driving in stop start city traffic: 5 - 7 kmpl
Regular driving in city: 7 - 10 kmpl
Highway runs: 10+
I would like to add though that this is a 1.5 ton vehicle and thus, will burn fuel, especially when it is accelerating. Consider it as the price you pay for driving a well built vehicle. The engine and gearbox combination is actually tuned well for efficiency without compromising on driving pleasure. On stretches where you can maintain a constant speed, it will easily give you a mileage of 15+. The best I have achieved on a Delhi - Gurugram run is 14.1 kmpl. This was during off peak hours with low to moderate traffic, only 3 red lights on the route and driving within speed limits.

Note to mods: Had to post separately since it was not permitting to edit the original post. Please merge if possible.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th September 2021 at 05:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Quoter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 09:43   #2792
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
1. Petrol AT: With offices opening up, I will soon move back to Gurgaon and my daily commute will be close to 80Kms per day to Connaught Place. I dont think I will be able to afford the petrol AT.
I have a Petrol AT purchased in December 2017 and commuted daily between Gurgaon and CP until lockdown and WFH started.

My fuel average over that entire 2+ year period is around 10.5 kmpl, driving normally as one would in NCR traffic. One would probably have to drive like a lunatic to get much less than 10.

I was able to drive it to Chandratal Lake in Spiti, as have several others driving Petrol ATs. My average during the Spiti trip was about 8.5 kmpl.

Lot of people like to knock the Petrol AT without actually having driven it, thanks to the views of certain senior members of TBHP. I don't think I'm enough of an expert to appreciate their views fully.

Rest you can take a call yourself on what's best suited for you.
Fusion2006 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 09:48   #2793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I have a Petrol AT purchased in December 2017 and commuted daily between Gurgaon and CP until lockdown and WFH started.

My fuel average over that entire 2+ year period is around 10.5 kmpl, driving normally as one would in NCR traffic. One would probably have to drive like a lunatic to get much less than 10.

I was able to drive it to Chandratal Lake in Spiti, as have several others driving Petrol ATs. My average during the Spiti trip was about 8.5 kmpl.

Lot of people like to knock the Petrol AT without actually having driven it, thanks to the views of certain senior members of TBHP. I don't think I'm enough of an expert to appreciate their views fully.

Rest you can take a call yourself on what's best suited for you.
Thanks. That’s really reassuring. I can do 10.5kmpl but not 6-7kmpl as many others claim. And I have driven the petrol AT and I think it’s very good for city drives. Unless you want to drive like a lunatic, this car is great. Also, not that the diesel AT is gold standard either.
Old 30th September 2021, 12:00   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
From what I have read and understood, a 4x2 diesel automatic is mechanically not possible. So don’t think it if coming ever. Also with no discounts and gradually increasing prices I think it will cross 40L is 2-3 years.
I don't think Jeep would ever bring 4x2 diesel AT.
Below is a post from @vinodvaddi. He had the same question from Jeep sales representative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvaddi View Post
I was told by a Jeep sales rep that, Jeep doesn't have a diesel automatic anywhere else. Our market forced them to launch one here but that resulted in higher cost (probably because they had to source it from ZF). So, to make it a better deal, they clubbed it with 4x4.

I'm not sure how much of that is true, but chances of 4x2 diesel auto seem slim to me.
Old 30th September 2021, 12:28   #2795
BHPian

thanks for the responses @quoter and @fusion2006. I am convinced to go for petrol AT for 2 reasons, (a) my running will be very low may be 2-3k per year so the price difference of diesel AT will not compensate for running; (b) I will doubt if I'll ever use 4x4 capability of the car, which makes it pretty much redundant (especially considering it will be significantly complex drivetrain which may require additional care).

Lastly, on the petrol AT gearbox, probably since number of Jeep petrol ATs are far less than VW and Korean twins, the news is not around. I really doubt it is due to different/superior technology of Jeep as basic structure of all DCTs are similar if not same, so it can't that Jeep or Fiat has done some wonders around it.
Old 30th September 2021, 13:17   #2796

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
@pranavsh, I am actually in the same boat. Still not able to decide between Model S Petrol DDCT and Limited O Diesel 4x4 ZF9. Here is what I have gathered by stalking this thread for over 6 months:
  • Driving : While everyone loves Diesel MT over Petrol MT. When it comes to AT gearbox, Diesel ZF9 is told to be more sluggish as compared to Petrol DDCT.
  • AT Reliability : DDCT ( or DSG ) are infamous for their breakdown. However, as also mentioned by fellow members, I also have not seen any reports of Jeep Compass Petrol DDCT failure in this forum. I think this DDCT is quite reliable.
  • Mileage : This is one reason why you can opt for Diesel. Petrol would give you somewhere around 6 - 10 in city depending on your driving behaviour. Diesel will surely give more than that. However, if you are considering same variant for both, the extra 3L - 4L for Diesel will only justify if your running is high considering that there isn't much difference between petrol and diesel prices anymore. And mileage also depends on how you drive.
    Also, please note that Diesel engines are slowly getting phased out and are getting banned in some areas after 10yrs duration ( in Delhi NCR area ).
  • 4x4 vs 4x2 : This is one reason why you should opt for Diesel. 4x4 surely gives you an upper hand as compared to 4x2 of Petrol. But, the real question is : How often would you use it?
I'm actually with you on this. I'm not going to be using the 4x4 much, and don't want it to be a, "Oh, what if I need it at some point?" kinda purchase. With the information I have about where and how I drive, I'm okay with not having the 4x4 option. Additionally, I did test drive both the 4x4 diesel AT and petrol AT extensively: Right after one another on the same day and also spaced between a few days yet again. The diesel AT gearbox is so sluggish and I honestly feel that car reviews are never made in vacuum. I am coming from a VW Petrol DSG and those gear boxes are snappy as hell. The petrol AT Compass was fairly okay for me but that diesel gearbox was a big no. I'm starting to think that people that picked the diesel gearbox are people that are used to driving diesel cars. There was this weird acceleration which made the car jerk in the diesel AT which I just could not look past. Additionally, I have never owned a diesel car in the past, so maybe I'm biased?

Quote:
Thanks for this post. I am on the same boat as you are. I started off with diesel manual but then realised I cannot do without an AT. But I never considered the Petrol AT and 4X4 was was beyond my budget. But now I am reconsidering both the automatics -

1. Petrol AT: With offices opening up, I will soon move back to Gurgaon and my daily commute will be close to 80Kms per day to Connaught Place. I dont think I will be able to afford the petrol AT.

2. Diesel AT: The price is just too high for my wallet. Also, the diesel 4X4 is not very fuel efficient either. People here are getting single digit FE as well.

I am tearing my hair about this for months now. I am doing a back to back test drive on Sunday. Lets see if I can make up my mind.
With both petrol and diesel prices being so similar, I'm not entirely sure if that should be a factor moving forward. Sure you might get a couple of more km of mileage on the diesel, a LOT is dependent on how you end up driving the car. I can get 14kmpl and 6kmpl on the same day sometimes, depending on my mood and traffic
pranavsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:24   #2797
BHPian

Is there an update for Jeep Compass expected to come in 2022 in Hybrid petrol trim in India. Not sure if Jeep is going to introduce drive options or paddle shifters in the near future. Also reading the discussions the 4*2 Diesel option is not going to come (not able to understand though why it is not mechanically possible if petrol automatic is 4*2). IMHO 4*4 would be useful if we do a Sipti/ Nubra valley type trips. Not sure if many of us would like to do them even if we have a passion for driving. I am trying to hold back my purchase decision in anticipation of launch of updated Tucson 2022 model which has a great engine and GB combination. But alas that one also is not for sure to hit our shores in the near term. May be Jeep Compass Petrol would be the next best option. I just wish that the product engineers at some of these brands (VW/ Jeep) look at what other companies are providing and come up with an equal feature list.
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:12   #2798

Hai fellow members!

I have a diesel 4x4 s variant. It has completed almost 3000kms. since few days I am facing issue with UConnect system. Few days back there was no sound output from any of the speakers in the car. Called up the service station who told me to reset the unit to factory settings by going into the menu. But the problem is still reoccurring. on multiple occasions I have to reset the unit, delete the settings in my phone and then reconnect it. From today the park assist sound is also not working. Its showing in the 360 camera, but there is no audible obstacle alert heard. what should i do? Is there any update available to the system?
Old 3rd October 2021, 00:07   #2799

Jeep India has so cleverly assembled the features in their Trims that it seems impossible (at least for me) to reach to a conclusion on which one to buy. One of my friends owns a petrol AT 2020 and he seems quite happy with FE and and the gearbox. He even claims to have extracted 14KMPL on Bangalore-Raipur run. Personally, I took test drives for both Petrol AT and diesel AT and I feel the petrol AT is refined but not up to the mark with competition (both above and below range vehicles in monetary terms). The diesel AT gives a feel on Highways and an adequate response on city roads even though its a bit sluggish.My fiancé too surprisingly liked the diesel AT during test drive . Unfortunately there are not many options to go ahead with in Indian market. Tata Harrier XZA+ is a good car but unfortunately everything including the much hyped platform(mostly discarded from LR, Jeep engine and old Hyundai 6speed Gearbox) feels second hand choice(No offence to the owners). I too am delaying the buy ,as many others here and around the country, hoping to get something which ticks all the boxes and fulfils all the requirements. Unfortunately , it looks like a lot to ask!!
kartoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:14   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Went in to book the Petrol AT today. The showroom staff were nice enough to give me a really long test drive. Done with it went inside the showroom to talk about the booking. By mistake, I had also scheduled a diesel AT short TD just to compare what I am losing out on. Damn. Our mods were right. I think they have done something to this BS6 2021 diesel auto. The car felt so much better. It was so much more responsive.

Back to square one. The SA was in no hurry to take my booking. He said, “Sir, please take your time to decide.” I was literally shocked. So ended up not booking.

By the way, no offers at all. Like it’s an absolute no no. Nothing nada. Only insurance discount which is not a real discount anyway.

Tough one to cough out 30 big ones but I think it will be money well spent.

Last edited by Pancham : 3rd October 2021 at 17:20.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:07   #2801

Thanks for sharing your view on Petrol AT. Honestly diesel was going beyond my range and hence booked a Limited Petrol AT (white) last week and eagerly waiting for the delivery.

Questions to all team-bhp experts regarding Limited Petrol AT :

(1) What is the speaker brand ? Is it Alpine 6 speaker setup ?
(2) Dealer is pushing for PPF but it is super expensive ? Do you think it is recommended for a white car ? Because typically plastic tends to become yellowish over a period of time. Any other body coating is recommended as a long term solution ?
(3) Any recommendation on the floor mat ? (basic one vs rubber) ?
(4) Would it be good idea to go for a long drive immediately after buying the vehicle ? I am hesitating a bit due to unknown factors of a new vehicle.

Many thanks in advance for your response.
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:48   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Can someone share the contact of a good SA in the Jeep Landmark showroom in New Delhi/Gurgaon? Someone who has had a good experience?
Old 4th October 2021, 11:35   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone share the contact of a good SA in the Jeep Landmark showroom in New Delhi/Gurgaon? Someone who has had a good experience?
Try Kapil at Mathura Road Jeep Dealership. His number is +919999329941. I found hime fair enough.

They all understand people who are window shopping are also considering MG, Tata & Skoda. At times, they don't want people to be forced to make a choice. A Jeep fan who is happy with diesel (dirty) & lesser space inside for the robust build & better driving dynamics would anyway book the Compass.

However, what's the bigger problem for buyer in this price range is lack of good cars which are frugal too for daily drives of 50+ kms. The moment your budget increases you are eyeing Fortuner & entry level Germans.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:25   #2804
BHPian

Is brake rust a concern? I need to check it again but I feel i saw some rust yesterday on my discs which are less than 6 months old although it was very dark so have to confirm.

Any other known rust problems? Shall i go for some coating to delay it?
Old 5th October 2021, 01:47   #2805

Hello All,

I joined Team-BHP and this is my first write-up. Wanted to share the good news that, I have booked Sport 1.4 Petrol DDCT on 25th Sep and hoping to get delivery by Festival Day

I am following Team-BHP from quite a long time and read all reviews, updates on this forum.

Request your suggestion on critical points to be reviewed as part of PDI.

Any other suggestion, advise, updates which helps me every steps, till I get delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks