Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 14:53   #2851

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

My first post in this forum, (Thanks a ton for all the valuable posts I found here)

After a lot of research and TD's finally made up my mind to spend that extra money and decided to go for Jeep Compass limited O 2.0 AT 4x4. Considered stretching a bit further for the S, but the all-black interiors helped to make a decision faster. I am so used to the beige colour leather interior of my 3rd gen Honda City and the all-black did make me feel very claustrophobic. Decided to go for limited O without all the extra bells and whistles the S had to offer. I might feel these features missing, but the interior colour was a deal-breaker for me: Non-chrome exteriors, ventilated seats, projector headlamps and maybe TPMS. Booked for the metallic green colour last week. They don't have it in stock and agreed to get it delivered by end of the month itself.

This is the final quote I got from HTK, right after the price hike on Oct. They are absolutely adamant about the Ex-showroom price, registration, and handling charges (I am still trying if I can get any further discounts, mostly won't take the 18k accessories). The insurance rates are more or less comparable with what I found at the policy bazaar and decided to go with the dealer for a hassle-free experience.

Name:  JC_limited_quote.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  23.7 KB

Eagerly waiting for the vehicle to be allotted!
chackodude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:41   #2852
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a car in the 15L price point (with some flexibility to go above). Since my better half has now warmed up to the idea of a pre-worshipped car, I'm looking to bring home a car that was "love at first sight for me". The Jeep Compass.

Can the experts guide me on the below questions?
  1. This will be my first car ownership. Is it a good idea to go with the pre-worshipped Compass route?
  2. Are there any specific FCA/Jeep related quirks that I should look at for while inspecting?
  3. The Fiat MJD is considered as a workhorse of an engine. However, what mileage on it would you consider as acceptable to go ahead and buy? Most of the cars are between 20,000 to 40,000kms.
  4. 2 listings that primarily interested me are given below. What does the group here think of these options? What prices are reasonable for a purchase and whether these models have some underlying quirks that I should know about?
  5. For a late 2017-2018 model, what kind of maintenance cost am I looking at in the near-term? Any major replacements which get due at the 4-5 year mark?

Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited Option 4x4
  • Manufacturing: May, 2018
  • Kilometers: 24,500km
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Owner: First (company owned)
  • Asking Price: Rs. 18.75L (negotiable)

Reason for selling is that they're going for a luxury car and there is a parking problem at their residence. The car is sold by a freelance dealer, so his commission will be additional to the deal price (2% borne by both parties).

Jeep Compass 2.0 Longitude Option
  • Manufacturing: Dec, 2017; registered in Mar, 2018
  • Kilometers: 22,000km
  • Owner: First (company owned), the car is owned by Orix but the owner is saying that they'll transfer directly to my name. He has done all the due payments to Orix to transfer ownership.
  • Asking Price: Rs. 16.75L (not very willing to negotiate below this as he's saying he's happy to keep it as is)

Reason for selling is that he wants to get a higher variant of Jeep with the sunroof (son pestering) in his company's lease program. Chap is happy to retain the car if he's not happy with the price offered as he sees no other to sell this.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 14th October 2021 at 18:44.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:23   #2853
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have paid the booking amount to my dealer for the limited diesel manual.
I plan to do Xpel ultimate plus ppf on the car, but I am concerned about the white colour turning yellowing after the PPF coat.

May I know going for magnesio grey will be a better choice to avoid yellowing or orange peel? My better half does not like the green colour and I other colours except white or magnesio grey.

The advantage of the white one is that it will be August or September manufactured while the dealer is unsure regarding magnesio grey but most likely it will be from the month of May. Also, there is no way knowing if I go for magnesio grey it will be not from the one lying in the stockyard with the dealer. I can request the dealer to show the transit receipt from the FCA, but not sure if the dealer will be happy to provide one.
Old 14th October 2021, 22:45   #2854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hi all,

Jeep Compass 2.0 Limited Option 4x4
  • Manufacturing: May, 2018
  • Kilometers: 24,500km
  • Owner: First (company owned)
  • Asking Price: Rs. 18.75L (negotiable)
Hey, is this car by any chance black colour located in south Bangalore. I am on the look out for Compass for quite some time.

The car I test drove few days back was exact spec except it was Oct 2018 registered by a leasing company. Just in case, got the service history checked and found 2 claims, one of dent/repaint and other rear bumper/tail lamp replace. Clutch was light but felt some noise in lower gears.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 00:08   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Hey, is this car by any chance black colour located in south Bangalore. I am on the look out for Compass for quite some time.
YES!!

The dealer wasn't sure of the manufacturing date when I called and he said May 2018 or Oct 2018. So I just put May here to hear what the experts think. But I'm pretty sure it's the same.

What did you make of the car? If you'd like to DM me please feel free to do so!
Old 15th October 2021, 15:42   #2856

I had reported an issue with my Uconnect system few days back here in forum. There was no sound output from the speakers. There was also no obstacle alert beep while reversing (came to know that the sound output from the sensors is routed through the rear speakers in jeep). Reported the same to the showroom who advised me reset the uconnect system to factory settings. Daily I had to do the same, as the issue cropped in almost daily; moreover the time and date resets, if done in this way. I found out from the forum the way to do a soft reset-by pressing together -switch on and tuner button for 10 seconds. There was no change in date or time settings if done by this method. Jeep technician told me to send some screen shots in dealer mode(u have to press the screen off button and touch the right upper and left lower quadrant of screen together for that) and to send some additional information. He called the very next day and told that there was an update available for the uconnect and told me to come to showroom. I had informed him that I was busy that weekend. Next day he rang me up and told that there was constant enquiry from jeep for resolution of the issue and that he would come to my workplace (70KM from showroom). I thought he was joking, but he came as promised at about 8PM. He connected his mobile to the OBD port and checked for errors and then updated the software through the USB port. There were 2 updates and took almost 45mins in total, after which the system is working fine.
I had got a police ticket due to same issue. Was using mobile due to an emergency. Though I was in side of road and immobile, he charged me for that. Secondly while reversing; the car hit the compound wall as there was no audible alert. I took it to nearby workshop and got it painted. An imbecile guy there tried to close the automatic tailgate manually and after the paintjob, the tailgate was not closing. Had to disconnect the negative terminal of battery and close the tailgate manually and reconnect the battery to solve the issue. Fellow members too can use this technique if there is problem with the tailgate.

Very happy with the service centre and Jeep for treating me in this way. Never expected Jeep to behave in such a customer friendly way. Have found many complaints about jeep service online and so honestly I was never expecting this.

Apart from this, I don’t have any issue with the Jeep S 4x4. The gearshifts have become more predictable and the driving dynamics and road manners are spot on. The engine has now become free revving (4000KM). Only in city speed limits the gearbox behaves badly. Especially when you are trying to move faster in city speed limits, trying the overtake someone and moving into same line burying the accelerator. The car makes unnecessary noise holding on to a gear and shooting the RPM high. If the accelerator inputs are gentle, car accelerates very nicely and there is no fuzz. Highway manners are excellent and legal speed limits are touched in no time.
sandpkd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 10:11   #2857
BHPian

Hi,

Am thinking of buying a used 2018 Compass 2.0 Longitude 2WD MT Diesel. Looks like 15l for a Compass that has put in around 25k kms is a possibility.

These must be done and dusted question but please humour me.

1. How does a Compass age? Do visits to the mechanic and mechanical problems increase or remain stable?

2. What is the cost incurred during service station visits? Am very concerned as Hyderabad has only one center with no reviews anywhere and soon when I shift towns, the nearest center will be 250 kms.

3. I am buying the vehicle to enjoy driving on the highway and not majorly for city traffic. No major mile crunching though. But I hear for a 2WD MT Diesel, I will get 17kpl on the highway and 13 in the city. Can owners vouch for the veracity?
Old 16th October 2021, 14:34   #2858
BHPian

Hi all! I was considering the Compass (facelift) Diesel Manual - could someone please shed some light on its real life fuel efficiency? I have a running of about 60Kms (I take about 45mins to 1hr to cover 30kms) a day + once a month highway run. Thanks!
Old 16th October 2021, 17:29   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
Hi all! I was considering the Compass (facelift) Diesel Manual - could someone please shed some light on its real life fuel efficiency? I have a running of about 60Kms (I take about 45mins to 1hr to cover 30kms) a day + once a month highway run. Thanks!
Hey I just got the car last week and have run 900 odd kms so far. I have been getting an average of 16.5 Kms with a mix of 80 percent highway and 20 percent city.
AbhishekMushran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 15:08   #2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by chackodude View Post
My first post in this forum, (Thanks a ton for all the valuable posts I found here)

After a lot of research and TD's finally made up my mind to spend that extra money and decided to go for Jeep Compass limited O 2.0 AT 4x4. Considered stretching a bit further for the S, but the all-black interiors helped to make a decision faster. I am so used to the beige colour leather interior of my 3rd gen Honda City and the all-black did make me feel very claustrophobic. Decided to go for limited O without all the extra bells and whistles the S had to offer. I might feel these features missing, but the interior colour was a deal-breaker for me: Non-chrome exteriors, ventilated seats, projector headlamps and maybe TPMS. Booked for the metallic green colour last week. They don't have it in stock and agreed to get it delivered by end of the month itself.

This is the final quote I got from HTK, right after the price hike on Oct. They are absolutely adamant about the Ex-showroom price, registration, and handling charges (I am still trying if I can get any further discounts, mostly won't take the 18k accessories). The insurance rates are more or less comparable with what I found at the policy bazaar and decided to go with the dealer for a hassle-free experience.

Attachment 2219046

Eagerly waiting for the vehicle to be allotted!
Hey many congratulations on the new booking!

Maybe it's a bit late but please recheck the final quotation they have given you.I have booked the Model S Diesel 4x4 in Mumbai a week ago. I had also asked for quotation for the Limited diesel variant and the quote I received from the dealer was Rs. 31,95,366 after the removal of the Rs. 20,000 documentation charges and the absurdly inflated insurance amount. There was still room for negotiation in the insurance amount for about Rs. 25,000 - 30,000. So effectively, the price would have been Rs. 31,65,000.

The registration and service charges for Mumbai are Rs. 4,10,707 which seem to be far less than what is quoted for in Bangalore. So maybe just, recheck once again. I hope they can give you a better price!

Congratulations once again and happy driving!
Old 17th October 2021, 17:15   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab_bsp View Post
I was in the same situation for almost a year...but have finally booked the Diesel AT Limited. I have a dodgy left knee, so AT is a must for me.

30L is a lot, but this will probably be the last car I'll drive myself, so why not - heart over head

As you mentioned, the only 'discount' is the insurance, which I said I'll buy from outside and so the dealer matched the quote. I also bargained on the handling charges which they reduced from 20k to 10k.

Taking the delivery on 7th Oct!!
Hi Arnab. Could you please tell me how much you paid for the registration charges in Kolkata. They are charging me around 1.63L which is around 17k more than the actual registration amount. The rest they are saying are misc. expenses. Apparently they have taken out the incidental/handling charges from this.
Old 17th October 2021, 19:35   #2862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
  1. For a late 2017-2018 model, what kind of maintenance cost am I looking at in the near-term? Any major replacements which get due at the 4-5 year mark?
The service cost will be around 15K every 15Kms / 1 year. The 75K Kms / 5 years service requires the timing belt replacement, this service cost comes around 30K. Other expenses that can pop up before 50K Kms are tyre change and brake pad replacement. Check the condition of the clutch as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggina View Post
Hi,

I am buying the vehicle to enjoy driving on the highway and not majorly for city traffic. No major mile crunching though. But I hear for a 2WD MT Diesel, I will get 17kpl on the highway and 13 in the city. Can owners vouch for the veracity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
Yes, 17-20 Kmpl is possible on the highways, it majorly depends on your speed. Anything above 120 Kmph will bring down the FE. And within city the fuel efficiency ranges between 10-12Kmpl based on the traffic condition.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:57   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Arnab. Could you please tell me how much you paid for the registration charges in Kolkata. They are charging me around 1.63L which is around 17k more than the actual registration amount. The rest they are saying are misc. expenses. Apparently they have taken out the incidental/handling charges from this.
Guys, on this, has anyone got their entire handling charges waived off at any Jeep dealership? Is there a way I can write to Jeep or something. I am facing 2 issues with the quote they have given me:

1. Handling charges of around 14K

2. Overinflated registration charges - can I pay exactly the 'actual' amount? The amount of charges they pay to the RTO? I remember doing this last time when I purchased a car.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th October 2021 at 20:11.
Old 17th October 2021, 20:48   #2864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, on this, has anyone got their entire handling charges waived off at any Jeep dealership? Is there a way I can write to Jeep or something. I am facing 2 issues with the quote they have given me:

1. Handling charges of around 14K

2. Overinflated registration charges - can I pay exactly the 'actual' amount? The amount of charges they pay to the RTO? I remember doing this last time when I purchased a car.
Hi Pancham,

I booked the Model S diesel last week. The handling charges were totally waived off and the insurance amount since they couldn't match with the outside quote, I am getting Tata AIG insurance from my insurance guy. I spoke to 2 dealerships in Mumbai and both agreed to waive off the handling charges 5 minutes into the negotiations. Those charges are levied to be waived off so that the customer feels he has a deal.

Sorry no idea about the registration bit though but I guess you can speak to the local RTO agent if he can register it for you or atleast use this as a negotiation gambit to get them to lower the charges.

Hope you get a great deal!
ARV2907 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:37   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chackodude View Post
Considered stretching a bit further for the S, but the all-black interiors helped to make a decision faster. I am so used to the beige colour leather interior of my 3rd gen Honda City and the all-black did make me feel very claustrophobic. Decided to go for limited O without all the extra bells and whistles the S had to offer. I might feel these features missing, but the interior colour was a deal-breaker
Congratulations! I am in the same situation, considering to upgrade from 4 year old BRV. I was looking at Compass top model but it is too dark for me personally, also the grey and tan combination in Limited model looks premium and like an upgrade I guess. Planning to experience in person soon. How was the music system in Limied model ? Congratulations once again !

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 18th October 2021 at 11:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks