Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 16:17   #3001

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently negotiating with Jeep for either the Petrol AT or the Diesel MT...
Hi, the DPF clogging issue was never a big concern for me when i was shopping. I read a few comments here and there but it never did seem that clogging was a Jeep compass specific issue. Besides, I do ride on highways and against the traffic. So it was less of a concern. However, driving a stick shift in city is certainly a personal choice. It can get difficult at times but i knew that before i bought it
d3thknell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 20:26   #3002
BHPian

Hi all - went to a Jeep dealership in Mumbai to check out the car. Inspite of it being flagship showroom in prime of Bombay, the whole atmosphere was extremely depressing so much so that it felt like they are running a stock clearance sale and are just down to last few cars which they are not able to sell.. The sales guy was just repeating his much rehearsed speech but at the same time didn't even bother offering us a test drive.. The focus was to taking booking and clear the stock which he already has in his yard before December 1 price increase..

The most interesting part in this whole ordeal was that I also went to a Tata dealership and to my surprise they were extremely prompt and energetic right from the valet taking the car to explaining all the variants in detail including a detailed test drive (I was planning to do that with Jeep but was quite disheartened with their service staff's attitude)..
youknowitbetter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 00:27   #3003
BHPian

Wierd problem in a brand new Jeep Compass Petrol Manual

Hello members,

I wanted to share an unusual issue faced by my close friend with his brand new Jeep Compass Sport Petrol Manual. The car is less than 60 days old and I am listing down the issues faced over the past 2 days. Do share your feedback on why these issues may have come up in a brand new car. Would love feedback from Compass owners as well!

October 19

On her way back from work, the Jeep suddenly stalls and the Service Stop/Start System Warning Light comes on. This was in the middle of traffic. The car stalls completely, luckily she was able to start the car again and proceed with her journey.

October 20

During her commute within the city, the same issue pops up. Accompanying the Service Stop/Start System Warning Light other warning lights lit up including:
  1. Immobilizer Fail / VPS Electrical Alarm Indicator
    Light
  2. Fuel Cutoff Warning Light

Thankfully she was able to park the car at the kerb. The car refused to start and experienced a total loss of power. There was no power from the car even to roll up the windows. Eventually after multiple tries the battery came on at half ignition and she was able to roll up the windows.

The worse part was the Jeep RSA experience. Despite stuck in the middle of the city, the RSA took over 3 hours to send a flatbed to take the car to the service centre. Stuck with 2 young children (under the age of 10) she faced a harrowing time. The RSA kept providing excuses for the delay and on multiple occasions just hung up on her after putting her on hold. Despite multiple calls and escalations, they kept giving one excuse after another. Thankfully her husband was able to reach the location eventually and take the kids home.

Can anyone shed any light why this could've happened in a brand new Jeep?
akshaydandekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 00:55   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
- is it free for lifetime ? ( If there is internet connection involved )
When I checked during delivery, the dealer mentioned that subscription will be covered for the first three years. After that, they were not clear. Could be an annual subscription after three years I guess.
Old 21st November 2021, 07:37   #3005
BHPian

Re: Wierd problem in a brand new Jeep Compass Petrol Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi all - went to a Jeep dealership in Mumbai to check out the car. Inspite of it being flagship showroom in prime of Bombay, the whole atmosphere was extremely depressing so much so that it felt like they are running a stock clearance sale and are just down to last few cars which they are not able to sell.. The sales guy was just repeating his much rehearsed speech but at the same time didn't even bother offering us a test drive.. The focus was to taking booking and clear the stock which he already has in his yard before December 1 price increase..

The most interesting part in this whole ordeal was that I also went to a Tata dealership and to my surprise they were extremely prompt and energetic right from the valet taking the car to explaining all the variants in detail including a detailed test drive (I was planning to do that with Jeep but was quite disheartened with their service staff's attitude)..
You would not be the only one to experience this. It's an issue with the dealer quality but Jeep/Stellantis India seem least bothered to address these quality issues with their dealers. Your experience is spot on with their attitude. But I do think that the vehicle gets let down by the dealerships attitude. I would suggest you should still test drive the vehicle if not yet done and make up your mind for yourself. Let the dealer apathy not take away from the vehicles qualities. The compass had very good road manners and it would be a shame not to try it out.

Frankly I'm surprised if Jeep and Stellantis India are really so ignorant of their brand and customer satisfaction at a ground level that there's just so many less than ideal experiences their customers put up with. It is shocking when you consider the price and the positioning of their products.

Unfortunately, choices in this segment are quite few. To make it worse the XUV700 bookings will ensure you wait for something like 3+ months. This is exactly the reason why there's so many of us T-bhp members stuck in the same position. If you need an SUV there's not much to choose from. And the cars worth getting in this segment are well.. north of 30lakhs.

The most audacious part is Jeep hiking prices by 3% effective 1Dec. I don't see why anyone in their right mind would go ahead and buy and register a Dec manufactured Compass at this stage to be honest.

Btw quite surprised to hear your experience with the Tata dealership. I haven't had anyone say anything other than an ordinary regular experience with them. The only issue with going with the Harrier are the quality/reliability issues. There are several complaint threads on this forum with Harriers although I'm not sure if they are from the initial batch or post the update. The Harrier has the better gearbox+engine combo and space.. but it's steering response, general handling, quality issues and the outdated infotainment unit/software, lack of discs at the rear for a car of its size and category are a few drawbacks in my opinion.

How was your test drive experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydandekar View Post

Thankfully she was able to park the car at the kerb. The car refused to start and experienced a total loss of power. There was no power from the car even to roll up the windows. Eventually after multiple tries the battery came on at half ignition and she was able to roll up the windows.

The worse part was the Jeep RSA experience. Despite stuck in the middle of the city, the RSA took over 3 hours to send a flatbed to take the car to the service centre. Stuck with 2 young children (under the age of 10) she faced a harrowing time. The RSA kept providing excuses for the delay and on multiple occasions just hung up on her after putting her on hold. Despite multiple calls and escalations, they kept giving one excuse after another. Thankfully her husband was able to reach the location eventually and take the kids home.

Can anyone shed any light why this could've happened in a brand new Jeep?
To me it looks to be most likely an electrical issue. Either cables/shorting of some sort/sensor or battery related. The compass facelift had fair bit of issues reported with the batteries. Unless it's not an issue more common like a rat eating through a wire or something of the sort.

It is quite a harrowing experience for sure however. With 2 under 10 kids can't imagine the situation had they been on a highway run.

Btw, was this in Mumbai? And what variant was it?
Vandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 07:51   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
You would not be the only one to experience this re: Compass

Btw quite surprised to hear your experience with the Tata dealership...

How was your test drive experience?
Test drive was good. Sports mode just makes it a pleasurable experience.. You are quite spot on steering (it was quite heavy) and tech-part of the car (which is bit sparse for 2021 and 2022). I spoke with a relative of mine who is in a senior position in Tata. He said that its a great buy and internally Tata is working a lot to improve the customer experience and are also working behind scenes to improve the drive quality. Not really sure, if I want to buy a Tata though, same issue as Jeep (i.e. car appears to be good, not sure of overall brand value and support service)
youknowitbetter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 09:40   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Test drive was good. Sports mode just makes it a pleasurable experience.. You are quite spot on steering (it was quite heavy) and tech-part of the car (which is bit sparse for 2021 and 2022). I spoke with a relative of mine who is in a senior position in Tata. He said that its a great buy and internally Tata is working a lot to improve the customer experience and are also working behind scenes to improve the drive quality. Not really sure, if I want to buy a Tata though, same issue as Jeep (i.e. car appears to be good, not sure of overall brand value and support service)
I think the only slight hope is the refreshed Tiguan coming up this December, I say slight because I'm not sure it's going to be under 30 lakhs.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 09:43   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, was this in Mumbai? And what variant was it?
It's a Jeep Compass Sport Petrol (M) MY2021. This incident happened in Chembur, Mumbai.

And yes thankfully this did not happen during a highway run. My friend has his own business and he frequently travels to remote places. His wife uses the car for city commute.
akshaydandekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 10:24   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
There are at least 3/4 members I've seen that are stuck in the same situation.

The Diesel engine is the real gem. The issue is them forcing the 4x4 on buyers. For the price of the Compass Diesel automatic, the Harrier offers a better combination.
I was in the same conundrum last year when picking up the Compass. Finally the heart won over the head because I would not have been able to live with the 1.4 for too long. It is a good engine but pales in comparison to the diesel. Finally picked up the manual. Hope to keep driving till the left knee holds up.
Baddychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 11:00   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
I think the only slight hope is the refreshed Tiguan coming up this December, I say slight because I'm not sure it's going to be under 30 lakhs.
Agree, I am waiting for Tiguan's launch to see when will it be made available. I am okay to spend 30+ on the car as I intend to keep the car for few years.

If these 2 don't work out, I might consider doing the unthinkable (on this thread, no offense to anyone) and buy a Seltos and then after few years, try and buy the next segment car.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:06   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
In the 15 days of ownership I have quite a few observations but 2 things that are bothering me are:

1. Every time I start the car I have manually switch on the screen of the infotainment system. Otherwise it remains blank/black. Is this normal? Am I missing anything? Usually, in all other cars the screen switches on automatically no?

2. Electronic parking brake seems a bit temperamental. Apparently, it’s supposed to disengage automatically when I slot it in to D with my seat belt on, right? Well that doesn’t happen 5 out of 10 times. Again, am I missing something here ?
Quick update on these.

This is embarrassing. Quite frankly, I am overwhelmed with all the features this car comes with. Turns out I was not aware of these features:

1. There is a setting in the Info System - "Auto Radio On" - If I keep that 'On', the screen turns on automatically at start

2. Electronic Parking Brake will automatically disengage only if we shift the gear lever from "P" and will not if we shift from "N". I have a habit of putting the car in N at traffic signal and flick the parking brake switch. So every time, I will have to manually disengage which is fine with me.

Another update is that, and thankfully so, the Jeep Connected features are not driven by Sim Card. Its a modem. This also means we dont have to worry about subscription charges after 3 years or so.

Last edited by Pancham : 22nd November 2021 at 12:07.
Pancham is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:34   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Test drive was good. Sports mode just makes it a pleasurable experience.. You are quite spot on steering (it was quite heavy) and tech-part of the car (which is bit sparse for 2021 and 2022).
Completely agree with you, the automatics need to have a sports mode what ever the BHP/ cubic capacity of the engine may be. Its usefulness comes mainly on a high way when we are over taking another vehicle. It actually takes out the only negative of an automatics the tap of surging power when needed at a critical juncture. Even the super responsive DSG needs a sports mode/paddle on a high way and it is one of the biggest misses of Jeep Compass on a 20 plus lac vehicle. They fixed the cruze control in this updated version but not sure why they did not notice the above omission. The service center is where the dealership rakes in its profits and generally will have good staff. Dealerships existence are guaranteed by service centers. These days 90% of the work of service centers is taken over by the computer (which finds the errors) and they dont repair any thing. Only change the component or module. Only the body shop does some work which need skill
Old 23rd November 2021, 22:16   #3013
BHPian

Hello,

Does the 12v socket on Jeep Compass power off when the ignition is switched off? Has anyone installed the dashcam and hard-wired it?

I am planning for a trip this week from Ahmedabad to Udaipur and Kumbhalgarh, so I thought of installing one. However not sure if it is a good idea to get it installed from the accessories shop.

For the trip got one tyre inflator and an Amazon seat belt cutter/window hammer. The DEF fluid is around 75% seems like it will be enough for an 800 Km trip.

-
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211123-22.09.49.jpeg  

Attached Images

Abhisheksinh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 23:46   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
Hello,

Does the 12v socket on Jeep Compass power off when the ignition is switched off? Has anyone installed the dashcam and hard-wired it?

I am planning for a trip this week from Ahmedabad to Udaipur and Kumbhalgarh, so I thought of installing one. However not sure if it is a good idea to get it installed from the accessories shop.

For the trip got one tyre inflator and an Amazon seat belt cutter/window hammer. The DEF fluid is around 75% seems like it will be enough for an 800 Km trip.

-
I am a dashcam freak and I am extremely uncomfortable driving without one. However, Jeep Compass seems to be changing that habit of mine. First of all, based on what I am told, you SHOULD NOT hard wire a dashcam from an accessory shop - for sure there will be an error in the dash which your accessory guy will not be able to solve. I prefer my dashcams to be hardwired but it seems to be a no go.

Also, Jeep Service center chaps will not touch your dashcam. They will politely refuse.

The other option is to plug it into the USB port but we will have wires dangling all over. So I dont want to go this route either. So I am extremely confused now.

About the DEF, you still have 75% which is supposed to run for 3-4K. So covering 800Kms will be easy-peasy.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:03   #3015
BHPian

Hey folks, need some advice from bhpians who drive the diesel manual compass. Had shortlisted and booked the sport diesel compass. But I’m really concerned about driving a manual, with long clutch travel, in Bangalore traffic. Although I’m going to be living 6-7 kms from my office, it would usually take 1 hr to cover that distance based on my previous experience. I plan to drive the car for 12-14k per year, with 5k in the city. However, those 5k kms will probably be 90% of my driving time because of the traffic.
Is this doable or should I start listening to my head which is screaming to buy an automatic?
darklitex is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks