Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 16:27   #2251

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

If I am not wrong, there is an option in Uconnect under the setting to switch on the radio whist starting the car. Tick that off.
Old 16th January 2021, 19:43   #2252
BHPian

Pretty awesome to see a campaign for Apollo Tyres that I worked on being shown to me on my favourite platform. We launched the Apollo Apterra series with this campaign - my love for SUVs definitely helped.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot-20210118-10.00.41-am.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2021 at 11:26. Reason: Adding missing pic
fast&curious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 15:03   #2253
BHPian

Dear Jeepers,

I think most of the people here can empathise with this: There’s a sheer lack of options in mid size SUV line up around 30L. Right now I am really confused between Jeep Compass 2021 S 4x4 AT or MT and facelifted Hyundai Tucson Diesel GLS 4WD AT. I have a few questions about the compass, it would be great if you guys could help!

1. Performance: I have read throughout the forum on how powerful the compass is and also the figures on paper look amazing but do they translate on road? On reading various articles, compass does 0-100 somewhere between 11-12 seconds. Does the car feel brisk even if there are 5 passengers and a boot full of luggage, that too on a ghat? I drive a Suzuki Vitara Brezza and I am really done with an underpowered car. P. S. Tucson does a 0-100 in 9.2 S.

2. NVH Levels: I know that the compass Diesel engine isn’t the most refined one and that I can live with it; but rattling and squeaking is something I can’t. If I have to duct tape and spray through the car to avoid rattling and squeaking despite spending lacs, is it worth it? Please let me know if at all, how bad was the squeaking and rattling with you.

3. Boot Space: Is it spacious enough for a 5 day trip for 4 adults?

4. Transmission: My father is more inclined towards getting an automatic and so far I haven’t heard good stuff about it. How does the AT fair on overtaking on ghats and highways manoeuvres? Do you feel flustered or the car ends up leaving a smile on your face?

Looking forward to inputs from fellow BHPians. Are there any other options that I should compare? Right now both compass and Tucson stand at around 32 lacs on road. Tucson is more spacious and comfortable but Jeep handles great and the new interior is lovely. I am rooting for the above four points to make the final decision.

Thank you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 17th January 2021, 21:30   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Dear Jeepers,

Right now I am really confused between Jeep Compass 2021 S 4x4 AT or MT and facelifted Hyundai Tucson Diesel GLS 4WD AT. I have a few questions about the compass, it would be great if you guys could help!
1. Performance:
4. Transmission: My father is more inclined towards getting an automatic and so far I haven’t heard good stuff about it. How does the AT fair on overtaking on ghats and highways manoeuvres? Do you feel flustered or the car ends up leaving a smile on your face?
#1. I have a 2007 2L Grand Vitara AT. On almost every road trip, including the first one taking delivery from Mumbai in 2015, I have been overtaken by a Nano. On our roads theoretical figures don't matter. What matters is how safely you want to drive.

#3. Boot space on the Compass should be ok provided you pack economically. And refuse to allow the ladies mid trip shopping.

#4. Torque convertor AT gear boxes are ideal for ghats. And once you understand the rhythm of the box's gear shift logic highway overtaking is effortless.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
sridhar-v is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 11:54   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Jeepers,

I think most of the people here can empathise with this: There’s a sheer lack of options in mid size SUV line up around 30L. Right now I am really confused between Jeep Compass 2021 S 4x4 AT or MT and facelifted Hyundai Tucson Diesel GLS 4WD AT. I have a few questions about the compass, it would be great if you guys could help!

1. Performance: I have read throughout the forum on how powerful the compass is and also the figures on paper look amazing but do they translate on road? On reading various articles, compass does 0-100 somewhere between 11-12 seconds. Does the car feel brisk even if there are 5 passengers and a boot full of luggage, that too on a ghat? I drive a Suzuki Vitara Brezza and I am really done with an underpowered car. P. S. Tucson does a 0-100 in 9.2 S.

2. NVH Levels: I know that the compass Diesel engine isn’t the most refined one and that I can live with it; but rattling and squeaking is something I can’t. If I have to duct tape and spray through the car to avoid rattling and squeaking despite spending lacs, is it worth it? Please let me know if at all, how bad was the squeaking and rattling with you.

Absolutely agree with you about the lack of options in the 25-30 Lakh range. I recently got a Jeep Compass Limited Plus 2.0 4X2 and I'll try and answer some of your questions from my experience of driving it across rural mountain roads in Himachal to wide and fabulous highways of Rajasthan.

1. Performance - In the manual variant it takes you two upshifts to bring a smile on to your face. The Compass comes alive in the 3rd gear and pulls like a rocket. Even with 5 passengers and on curvy mountain roads it never feels underpowered. Yes you do lose the ability to win those traffic light drag races, but you win the marathon on highways.

2. NVH - I've had mine only for about 4500kms and can confidently say that the NVH levels are great for a diesel. With music even at lower volumes there's absolutely nothing you can hear from outside. The cabin is well insulated. Hope this remains the case as the car gets old. No squeaks or rattles for me so far.

3. Boot Space - Did a weekend trip to the mountains with 4 people in the winters, two of whom were women who definitely overpacked. The luggage fit in perfectly. Two 65 litre suitcases, 4 bags, a carton of some wit-beer. All fit in nicely. In fact the spare tyre compartment does have a bit of extra space and if you use it wisely, you can store a bit of stuff there as well.

4. Since I have a manual, I can't really comment on the Auto.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2021 at 12:01. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
fast&curious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 15:12   #2256
BHPian

Quote:

I have a jeep compass petrol automatic. So, would take up the question that is engine independent.

3> I had one week trip with total 2 adults an 2 kids. Trust me, kid's need for luggage is more than that of adults (diapers, sand play kit, too many cloths, multiple shoes, variety of foods etc) and I didn't have any issue with the space. There are some hidden corners in the boot space that can be used. I had a 5 litre Bisleri kept in rear left corner sunggly fit without coming on the way of main luggage. In my opinion, the boot space is very good.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2021 at 12:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post - please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks!
sushantk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 16:50   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
We've had our compass for almost 3 years now and my dad doesn't particularly slow down on speed breakers and potholes, despite this the car hasn't any rattles or squeaks till date.
Turbolove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:39   #2258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Jeepers,

Hi, let me address a few of your queries - mine is the first ownership thread of the Compass on TBHP and I have had my Diesel 4x2 manual since Aug 2017.

1) Performance : The engine is well tuned and responsive, but the gear ratios of the manual are not ideal. As an example, my Skoda Laura with 110Ps and 250 NM torque feels more sprightly and in 3rd gear I can take it till even 90 kmph and it is just a hoot to drive with a great torque curve and gearbox ratio combination. In the JC, the 3rd gear barely goes to 60 and you have to change gears if you want to go any faster, so you end up changing gears a lot more frequently (compared to the Laura). In real world acceleration, the Laura is also faster than the Compass by around 1.1 seconds in 0-100 in my experience, inspite of being lower powered. But the JC is not about just fast acceleration and where it is better than the Laura is in go anywhere ability and it can just glide over bad roads with ease, which the Laura would shake you to pieces on ! The Engine on the JC is less noisy than the one on the Laura and cabin noise is well controlled. The Laura is better for smooth city roads, while the JC is better for bumpy/ broken / flooded roads (typical in Gurgaon) and is safer for Highways too where the road conditions are unpredictable.

2) Engine NVH, I have already mentioned above and it is more silent that the VAG diesels (and also the Maruti Diesels). On the cabin rattling noises, they are not too bad and there is some amount of Jugaad which I had done to make it more silent (I for one like complete silence in the cabin and cannot tolerate any squeaky/ rattly noises) so I find out the source and damp the noises if any. Most cars have these common noises and it has probably got a lot to do with the Indian weather which becomes extremely hot in summer.

3) Boot space is a relative term. I can tell you the 430L of the Jeep Compass is not correct and actual usable boot space of the Jeep Compass is around 330L (I have a whole thread dedicated to actual "Boot Space Measurements") you can refer that for more details. Ironically, most of the cars in the CSUV space (barring maybe the Nissan Kicks or Kia Sonet) are overreporting the Boot space and you actually cannot fit as much luggage as they claim in pure litres.
If Boot space is one of your key criteria, go for a Sedan and you won't regret it. To give you an idea of actual usable boot space:
the Skoda Laura claims 550L boot space (actual is around 510L measured) and it can fit 4 Full size Luggage bags and 3 medium luggage bags + 2 duffel bags in its boot.

Comparatively, the Jeep Compass (which claims 430L) can fit only
1 Full size Luggage bag + 2 medium size bags + 1 Duffel bag in reality.
The Laura can fit more than DOUBLE the luggage of the Jeep Compass in reality.

On the AT transmission, I have no experience with the JC automatic, as mine is a diesel manual variant.

On a side note, the New JC interiors are phenomenal and the car looks much richer than before. The plain interiors were a bit drab for a 20 Lac car earlier, but the new Interiors have really solved that in the new version.
End of the day, if you heart wants an SUV, go for it, otherwise a sedan is the Logical Head choice.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th January 2021 at 17:43.
Behemoth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 18:02   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Absolutely agree with you about the lack of options in the 25-30 Lakh range. I recently got a Jeep Compass Limited Plus 2.0 4X2 and I'll try and answer some of your questions from my experience of driving it across rural mountain roads in Himachal to wide and fabulous highways of Rajasthan.

1. Performance - In the manual variant it takes you two upshifts to bring a smile on to your face. The Compass comes alive in the 3rd gear and pulls like a rocket. Even with 5 passengers and on curvy mountain roads it never feels underpowered. Yes you do lose the ability to win those traffic light drag races, but you win the marathon on highways.

2. NVH - I've had mine only for about 4500kms and can confidently say that the NVH levels are great for a diesel. With music even at lower volumes there's absolutely nothing you can hear from outside. The cabin is well insulated. Hope this remains the case as the car gets old. No squeaks or rattles for me so far.

3. Boot Space - Did a weekend trip to the mountains with 4 people in the winters, two of whom were women who definitely overpacked. The luggage fit in perfectly. Two 65 litre suitcases, 4 bags, a carton of some wit-beer. All fit in nicely. In fact the spare tyre compartment does have a bit of extra space and if you use it wisely, you can store a bit of stuff there as well.

4. Since I have a manual, I can't really comment on the Auto.
Thanks a ton for the prompt reply!
Do you have the BSIV or the BSVI variant? Because from what I have read so far, BSVI makes the power delivery really linear. Still, good to know it's not under-powered as such. So far so good! Will get a TD in the next week perhaps. Looking forward to it!
Again, thanks a ton for your input
Old 18th January 2021, 18:32   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi, let me address a few of your queries - mine is the first ownership thread of the Compass on TBHP and I have had my Diesel 4x2 manual since Aug 2017.
==========
End of the day, if you heart wants an SUV, go for it, otherwise a sedan is the Logical Head choice.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a ton, it did help a lot!
If you don't mind I do have a few follow up questions for a Jeep veteran like you!

1. So I assume that there has to be constant gear shifting to be always in the right power band? Is that tiring at times? Also what do you have to say about power delivery on ghats and sudden overtakes?

2. From my last test drive, the compass can't take half clutch-ing, the car simply stalls. I think post 2018 it was their way of solving the clutch plate issue. I know it's not a good habit in the first place but I feel almost everyone is used to it. How did you get by it considering you drive two diesels?

3. This is probably the most crucial question! After Sales! Jeep has somehow a notorious name for this. I have read posts citing that sometimes the service teams take months together to fix issues. I have been driving a Honda Civic 1.8 and a couple of Marutis so I can say that I have been pampered! And then there are JC clutch and battery issues. Please let me know how your experience has been so far

I extensively read your posts about the rattle jugaad and the boot capacity issue. Those are some great insights. Thank you for that. The reason for getting an SUV is road tripping across India and considering the roads here, sedans can be a nightmare and mini anxiety attacks. So it all boils down to smart packing I suppose. Also, the variant I am planning to buy will cost me about 30+ lacs on road. Despite the lovely interiors what scares me about Jeep is that i can't take a 30 Lac car making noises like my Vitara Brezza.
The reason for asking these questions is that there only so much that you can get to know through test drives and that too in a cramped city like Mumbai.

Anyway! I have just joined the community and it's been lovely!
Can't thank you guys enough for all the help!
Old 18th January 2021, 19:37   #2261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. So I assume that there has to be constant gear shifting to be always in the right power band? Is that tiring at times? Also what do you have to say about power delivery on ghats and sudden overtakes?

2. From my last test drive, the compass can't take half clutch-ing, the car simply stalls. I think post 2018 it was their way of solving the clutch plate issue. I know it's not a good habit in the first place but I feel almost everyone is used to it. How did you get by it considering you drive two diesels?

3. This is probably the most crucial question! After Sales! Jeep has somehow a notorious name for this. I have read posts citing that sometimes the service teams take months together to fix issues. I have been driving a Honda Civic 1.8 and a couple of Marutis so I can say that I have been pampered! And then there are JC clutch and battery issues. Please let me know how your experience has been so far

I extensively read your posts about the rattle jugaad and the boot capacity issue. Those are some great insights. Thank you for that. The reason for getting an SUV is road tripping across India and considering the roads here, sedans can be a nightmare and mini anxiety attacks. So it all boils down to smart packing I suppose. Also, the variant I am planning to buy will cost me about 30+ lacs on road. Despite the lovely interiors what scares me about Jeep is that i can't take a 30 Lac car making noises like my Vitara Brezza.
The reason for asking these questions is that there only so much that you can get to know through test drives and that too in a cramped city like Mumbai.

Anyway! I have just joined the community and it's been lovely!
Can't thank you guys enough for all the help!
Welcome to the community and happy to help!

Let me address you queries quickly:

1) Not really, you don't need to shift gears more frequently if you are driving between 0-40 (Typical city traffic), however if you are driving 0-60, you will end up having to shift to 3rd and then 4th, and it is something that you get used to and I don't even notice it anymore. On the Highway, between 70-90 speeds, you can stay in 4th and also overtake easily. In the Jeep, I find that the ideal rpm to shift gears is 1900 rpm, at which the torque is also close to its max and the torque is maintained till around 3000rpm, after that it tapers off. If you want maximum mileage the ideal shift range is 1900-2500 rpm. If you want max power range, the shift range is 2500-3000 rpm. There is no point revving the engine higher as it starts to be vocal after 3000 rpm and you also won't make quick progress as the torque drops off. This is typical for many common rail directed engines in this class and displacement these days. Driving a diesel engine car is quite different from a Petrol engine one.

But the high torque at lower engines of Diesel engines is quite addictive and you do get a nice push once you get the hang of it and they are quite fun to drive.

2) Half clutching is something that diesel engines (both my cars) do not like at all ! When you slow down for speed breakers, its better to shift to first gear and take it slow. Both the Laura and JC don't like been taken over big breakers in 2nd gear. They can both do it, if you release your foot from the accelerator and also from the cutch fully - they will go over the breaker as the anti stall programming prevents stalling in this condition, but it tends to speed up suddenly and it kind of jumps over the breaker, resulting in a bumpy ride for passengers ( my wife tends to do this, when the front wheels cross the breakers, she just revs it and the poor rear passengers are jumping to the roof over breakers!)

For long clutch life, it is imperative that you avoid half clutching in traffic and also keep your foot off the clutch when driving - some people have a habit of keeping their foot on the clutch even when there is no need to press it (by force of habit). It is better to keep it only on the dead pedal or on the floor - this prevents early clutch failure.

3) In Gurgaon, our service experience with Landmark has been pretty good and aside from the regular extras which the SA's try to push in the services, we have not incurred any additional extras on the car. The only item which failed prematurely was the battery and I replaced my with an equivalent Exide DIN70 battery from Outside. Apart from that in 3 1/2 years now, I have not had any failures or unexpected breakdowns anywhere.

I have also taken extended warranty and my car is under 3+2 year warranty and covered till 5 years.

Service is once a year / 15000 kms, which is a decent service interval and does not necessitate going to the service centre too often.

Service experience to a large extent depends on your local service provider and if you have a good service centre near you, you should not worry on this aspect.

4) The build quality of the Jeep Compass is very good and it has a 5 star NCAP rating. You need not worry on this aspect and it is worlds better than the Vitara Brezza! You will enjoy it a lot on highways and long drives.

The weak headlights are also resolved in the new version so that should also not be an issue now.

The Boot space is ok and I have also learnt to manage with it! I have taken out the boot floor and replaced it with an ACP panel of the same shape and size - this has probably liberated another 50L of space in the boot and I also remove the parcel shelf entirely when I need more space.

I was also thinking of downsizing the spare wheel, but there are no good options available in the market, hence could not go through with it.
The spare wheel can be removed (I anyway keep Tyre sealant and inflator in the car for emergencies) but somehow on long trips I would not be comfortable without a spare wheel.

For Mumbai, the Jeep is a compact enough car, but in city you will hardly use its power. You will only enjoy the power when you head out on the highways - so if you frequently head out on long drives, it will make it worth it!

Hope I have not confused you more! Buying a car is a difficult decision and I for one have only bought cars my heart wanted and maintained them well and retained them for a long time!

A car should be one that brings a smile to your face everytime you drive it and enjoy it on the open roads. If you don't get that feeling, don't buy the car!

When you test drive the new Jeep Compass next week, would be lovely if you share your experience in detail and also some pics - many people are looking forward to the new Jeep Compass and it would really help them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2021 at 12:05. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:02   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the prompt reply!
Do you have the BSIV or the BSVI variant? Because from what I have read so far, BSVI makes the power delivery really linear. Still, good to know it's not under-powered as such. So far so good! Will get a TD in the next week perhaps. Looking forward to it!
Again, thanks a ton for your input
Yes, I have the BSVI. It does make power delivery linear, yet there’s no dearth of power. As I said earlier first two upshifts have to be quick but third gear onwards it really comes alive. I usually rev my Creta 1.6 hard beginning from the 1st gear itself and it easily takes it. The Compass doesn’t encourage you to push it in the first gear for sure.

Might I ask you that if you’re planning to spend 30L+, why aren’t you considering the Endeavour or Fortuner? Not to confuse you but just want to know your thought process. Is it just the size?
fast&curious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:30   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Yes, I have the BSVI. It does make power delivery linear, yet there’s no dearth of power. As I said earlier first two upshifts have to be quick but third gear onwards it really comes alive. I usually rev my Creta 1.6 hard beginning from the 1st gear itself and it easily takes it. The Compass doesn’t encourage you to push it in the first gear for sure.

Might I ask you that if you’re planning to spend 30L+, why aren’t you considering the Endeavour or Fortuner? Not to confuse you but just want to know your thought process. Is it just the size?
Good question fast and curious , but would be glad if you also share your thoughts about not buying Endeavour or Fortuner despite owning a Creta. Should also share your views on differences between Compass and Creta as you have owned both .

Last edited by ampere : 19th January 2021 at 08:32.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:50   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Good question fast and curious , but would be glad if you also share your thoughts about not buying Endeavour or Fortuner despite owning a Creta. Should also share your views on differences between Compass and Creta as you have owned both .
Well I was planning something in the range of 20-23L. So Endeavour / Fortuner got ruled out there. And because we already had the Creta, which my dad drives - the new Creta and Seltos were dismissed from the consideration set as I didn’t want more of the same. I did like the way the Harrier looked but somehow wasn’t convinced on spending 20L+ on a Tata as I wasn’t convinced about long term reliability plus my wife wasn’t too keen on Harrier. My compass Limited Plus 2.0 4X2 cost me 22.4L OTR so in terms of pricing it fit and since it’s a Limited Plus it’s pretty feature loaded so it felt like a pretty good deal too.

On the differences I felt between my Creta 1.6 and Compass 2.0 - I recently drove them on two separate occasions a few days apart on the same road in the hills beyond Shimla and here are the differences I felt

1. Steering - The steering on the Compass is way more precise. Creta’s feels a bit vague it doesn’t give you as much confidence as the Compass’ steering.

2. Cornering - Compass loves corners while the Creta has a significant amount of body roll. Since I drive a lot in the hills I really enjoy driving the Compass around corners. With the Creta you have to be way more careful.

3. Turbo - I have a BSVI Compass and a BSIV Creta. The turbo on the Creta creeps in around 1800 RPM and pushes you back into your seat, no such thing with the Compass as the power delivery is more linear.

4. Agility - Creta feels much more agile in the city, it feels lighter and you can begin pushing it right from the 1st gear. Not so with the Compass. It feels much heavier compared to the Creta especially when you switch back and forth between the two cars. Also you can’t really push the Compass in 1st and 2nd gear, it’s only 3rd gear onwards that it begins to let you push it. Having said that when you’re driving just the Compass for extended periods it feels agile too.

Disclaimer: the Creta is 5 year old with just under 80K on the ODO while the Compass is less than 2 months old with just 4.5K on the ODO. So it’s not really an apples to apples comparison in any case.
These differences are more apparent when you keep switching between the two cars frequently.
fast&curious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 15:32   #2265
BHPian

After a long wait, I have finally become a Jeeper. Introducing my pre-worshipped Red Phoenix. I am coming from TUV 300, so every aspect of Compass is an upgrade for me. I purchased it on 1st Jan'21 and loving every bit of it. Initial ownership review is on it's way .

Jeep Compass : Official Review-red-phoenix__01.jpg

Top Image Courtesy: Official Jeep launch YouTube video.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks