Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 12:21   #2131
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Compass starts at somewhere around $24k in USA, going till $30k for top end. Convert it to Indian Rupees, it is more or less the same price here, not considering road tax, cess etc.
We cannot compare the prices in India directly to the prices in the USA. They can afford costlier cars, their salaries are higher than us, their currency is stronger than us, fuel is cheap in USA, their per capita income is higher than us, etc. Considering the cost of living and salaries in India, the price of Compass should have been lower than that of the USA.

Quote:
Maybe the gripe is happening because of comparing it to Seltos and Creta. But then for that sort of comparisons of vehicles across segments, well, nothing will add up surely, IMHO.
I agree. the comparison is totally wrong. There is a general mindset about cars in India that the greater the price the bigger should be the vehicle.
pawank is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:05   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
Just completed a 600km trip in my newly acquired JC 1.4 petrol AT longitude plus. I am amazed to see a mileage of 12.6km/l on odometer with average 100km/hr speed. Dear members, can we count on the accuracy of the odometer ? Overall mileage since buying is shown as 9.8km/l for 2398kms. With these figures my hopes of getting company claim mileage of 14km/l have enlightened !
Bought Petrol vs Diesel purely due to my less than 12k/ annum running and good discount on offer.

P.S. I never bought the beast keeping in mind the mileage figures.It is just awesome to drive. Moreover, it feels so safe & sturdy at 3 digit speed.
For longer drives you can expect even more ... 12 to 13 with steady driving style.

Over a total period of 3 years and ~29000 km, I am averaging over 10 kmpl, and over several months before lockdown, regularly 11+ kmpl between tank-fulls. This is a regular office commute between Gurgaon and CP in Delhi.

On a trip of about 2000km to Chandratal lake in Spiti I averaged around 8+ kmpl - this is with a lot of steep hill driving on bad roads. Even without 4x4 I was able to keep up with the rest of the Jeep Compass cars that I was with.

I'm no expert on ATs or even cars in general like the TBHP seniors ... but I can certainly say that the Petrol AT has plenty enough power to keep me happy and FE reasonably good enough too.

Quite possibly the Diesel engine may be miles better as we keep getting told, but then I have something to aspire to next time I think of upgrading

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 8th December 2020 at 13:10.
Fusion2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:11   #2133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since this is an angle that is being put across much, just did a quick comparison. Jeep Compass starts at somewhere around $24k in USA, going till $30k for top end. Convert it to Indian Rupees, it is more or less the same price here, not considering road tax, cess etc. Hyundai Tucson too starts at $24k, going till $31k for top end.

Not sure I can still see this very vague and sort of judgemental 'Compass is priced more' argument. Maybe the gripe is happening because of comparing it to Seltos and Creta. But then for that sort of comparisons of vehicles across segments, well, nothing will add up surely, IMHO.
I don't understand the argument here at all. Are Compass owners justifying the high price with these comparisons with USA market to further reduce sales of the car or help improve the sales? How many compass owners bought the car for full on road price with no discounts?

Just a query did you pay full on road price with 0 discount for your compass? I see current price as 27.8L for the 1.4L DDCT Limited Plus.

USA prices are skewed for all cars. A Camry in USA is half the price as India but Ecosport is $27K (Rs. 20 lakhs) and Venue is $22K. The Ecosport there has AWD option. Even the Seltos in USA is based on a different platform and has AWD option with totally different engines.

The Compass is sold in USA with a 2.4L engine and is almost the same price as a Ford Ecosport. By this theory Ford should increase Ecosport prices to 20 lakhs and be happy just like Jeep india with 100-200 units.

End of the day the sales numbers speak for themselves. Please don't think that the manufacturer set a target of 400-500 cars a month for their bread and butter model when MG sells 2000-3000 Hector and Tata sells 2000 Harrier. And IMO, the Compass is better to drive than both of them.

If not for the price, can anyone tell me what is the reason people are not buying the Compass over Hector, Harrier, Seltos, Creta?
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:55   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I
If not for the price, can anyone tell me what is the reason people are not buying the Compass over Hector, Harrier, Seltos, Creta?
Simple. Same reason(s) as why people are not buying T-Roc or Tucson or Karoq over Hector, Harrier or Seltos. But does that mean anything? I doubt.
There is a cost versus quality angle to everything. And, strategies differ for organisations. Some play volume game, some play quality - exclusivity game. Some play a bit of both.

This conversation can go back and forth forever, so resting my case with the same line as I said earlier. Let us try not to influence people who peruse this forum in good faith for insight, with our perceptions, biases & views that are not based on quantifiable factors.
anoop cheeran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:12   #2135
S15
BANNED

Quote:

Now that you have brought this issue up, I have a related question.

In between the Seltos 1.4 GTX Turbo Petrol Manual, and the Jeep Compass 1.4 Sport Plus Manual, which is a better car for 4 people?

The price difference is a negligible 1.2 Lakhs on-road.

Dont care about the gimmicks, just a good engine, and a manual gearbox.
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:56   #2136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Simple. Same reason(s) as why people are not buying T-Roc or Tucson or Karoq over Hector, Harrier or Seltos. But does that mean anything? I doubt.
There is a cost versus quality angle to everything. And, strategies differ for organisations. Some play volume game, some play quality - exclusivity game. Some play a bit of both.
The T-ROC and Karoq were fully imported CBU's with no local content. VW/Skoda didn't have to spend on an assembly line and the massive overheads of homologating a car to India. They imported 1000 units each and sold all 1000.

The Tiguan Allspace is similar to Compass story. 1000 imported and not even 300 sold. They are now selling them at 4-5L discounts as nobody was seeing value in the Tiguan at 41-42L.

The JEEP is neither here nor there just like the Tiguan from VW. Thanks to the Tiguan flop VW have had to change their entire strategy and management.

Hyundai can afford do what they want like I mentioned like Toyota. The Tucson has the Creta in showroom selling 12K units, Venue selling 10K as well as i10 and i20 selling 20K units. With 50K monthly sales, selling 1 premium model 80-100 cars is not for revenue but for brand shaping and presence. The dealer is not going to mind when he has so many cars flying off the showroom floor.

Quote:
This conversation can go back and forth forever, so resting my case with the same line as I said earlier. Let us try not to influence people who peruse this forum in good faith for insight, with our perceptions, biases & views that are not based on quantifiable factors.
Yup I agree. This conversation has run its due course and we should not influence prospective buyers. Hence the whole discussion clearly highlighting to prospective buyers that the Compass is a very good package but buyers should ensure they get maximum discounts before buying like other smart buyers here. No point in spending full on road when discounts are so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post

In between the Seltos 1.4 GTX Turbo Petrol Manual, and the Jeep Compass 1.4 Sport Plus Manual, which is a better car for 4 people?

My pick would be the Seltos. The engine is much more enthusiastic and overall feels a lot more peppier.

The Compass has the better feel in terms of solidity but the 1.4L is an engine that requires you to work hard for the performance. It just doesn't feel as sporty as the Seltos 1.4L.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:09   #2137
BHPian

Quote:

Easily the Jeep 1.4 Sport Plus manual for me because-

1) It is a Jeep, no comparison with other crossovers
2) It is solidly built and has all the essential features
3) The manual gearbox takes away lot of the shortcomings of the DCT which people complain about
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:36   #2138
BHPian

Quote:

The Tiguan Allspace is similar to Compass story. 1000 imported and not even 300 sold. They are now selling them at 4-5L discounts as nobody was seeing value in the Tiguan at 41-42L.

The JEEP is neither here nor there just like the Tiguan from VW. Thanks to the Tiguan flop VW have had to change their entire strategy and management.

Hyundai can afford do what they want like I mentioned like Toyota. The Tucson has the Creta in showroom selling 12K units, Venue selling 10K as well as i10 and i20 selling 20K units. With 50K monthly sales, selling 1 premium model 80-100 cars is not for revenue but for brand shaping and presence. The dealer is not going to mind when he has so many cars flying off the showroom floor.

Yup I agree. This conversation has run its due course and we should not influence prospective buyers. Hence the whole discussion clearly highlighting to prospective buyers that the Compass is a very good package but buyers should ensure they get maximum discounts before buying like other smart buyers here. No point in spending full on road when discounts are so good.
See, the 25 lakh 5 seater category is always going to be bit of muddled territory, with people in that segment willing to consider the 30 lakh 7 seaters. The weak performance of the Tuscon, CRV and Tiguan is a good example. For the Tiguan, when it was selling for 27 lakh post discounts with a diesel engine, there were few takers, i do not see a lot of takers for a petrol 5 plus barely usable 2 seats Tiguan Allspace at 40 lakhs.

However the customer who has made up his/her mind to try something that stands out from mass market brands (Toyota, Ford, Hyundai,Kia), the Jeep has its unique appeal, and character. People who own the Compass know what i am talking about, people i know who have not been able to take the plunge because they evaluated and over-analyzed with the Koreans, after driving it they seem to always regret.

The reason why Compass sold 2000-2500 units post launch in 2017 was because

1) it kind of straddled segments (15 lakh onwards)- in fact most folks said that it was well priced at that time, given it was not a mass market brand. Considering discounts today, the pricing has barely changed since launch, and the car is even more feature loaded. So straddling segments- it still does.

2) It always brought out a smile wherever youo drove it- roads, bad roads, no roads.

Just because there are other products in the market does that mean Jeep has to significantly cut prices? Is that the only way to run business?

However much Hyundai as a brand sells, they have a model wise strategy. Hyundai stopped selling the Santa Fe flagship because of no takers, will be quick to stop Tucson if there is no demand, even though it is still their flagship car today.

My point is that the discounting strategy of Compass has kept it in the reckoning, and that has kept most luxury brands in contention too. Who has bought a German car without discounts?

Having said that yes, Jeep has to expand its non CBU portfolio- get the 7 seater, address percieved customer service issues, get the sub 4 mt SUV too.

It also has to answer whether it would like to stick to its niche positioning (smaller target market who probably do not consider a Seltos/Creta as a Compass competitor just because of similar size but consider the Compass as unique because it is a Jeep) or go more mainstream and compete with mass-market brands. I believe Jeep's sweet spot is the 20 lakh mark, and i wish they start offering more on variants at that price point.
Am sure FCA has a target in mind, and likely here for the long game.

To all prospective buyers, drive the Jeep before you start comparing.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 9th December 2020 at 14:42.
achyutaghosh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:34   #2139
BHPian

Quote:

I have a Compass Petrol manual. I have also test driven the Seltos 1.4 Petrol DCT.

It all depends on your preferences. If you care for more features, ease of driving, better resale value, slightly better long term maintenance and reliability, some compromise on safety by driving carefully, and a better fuel efficiency go for the Kia

If you value the looks, enjoy driving and want the solid feel of driving a tank like built car, better snob value, better ride and handling, more safer, and overall the pride and pleasure of owning and driving a Jeep, and not a mass market car, go for the Compass.

If Mileage and resale value is important to you, go for the Seltos or Creta. But then I would suggest to go with the DCT

Hope this helps..
Catamaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:45   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post

My point is that the discounting strategy of Compass has kept it in the reckoning, and that has kept most luxury brands in contention too. Who has bought a German car without discounts?

To all prospective buyers, drive the Jeep before you start comparing.
Agree with you and I think the discounting strategy on the compass is well thought out. There are considerable discounts on a single variant to place it in the Seltos GTX+/Creta SX(O) territory so the customers have an option there as well. IMO the top variants of the Korean siblings are overpriced as well, especially the diesel variants.

And the second point is so true. When it comes to how good the Jeep drives vis a vis the Korean siblings I think it is no competition. The Seltos with its stiffer ride handles better but the lesser said about Creta's/Hector's drive the better. How a car feels in one's hand is also subjective but then this is my opinion.

I think Jeep tends to get a lot of flak for their pricing which I think is unfair at least on their Sport and Longitude. Then they want to place their higher variants at a premium which is fair.

It is tough to match the Koreans in terms of the creature comforts they provide but again some of the features they provide are missing even in the 3er and C. So a comparison with Jeep on those parameters also does not make sense.
Baddychat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 20:50   #2141
BHPian

Question: If money weren't a deciding factor, which one would you pick? Be clear on the answer to this and it might make the decision easier. Its Sport Plus Manual vs. a Top end Variant of Seltos. The Sport Plus has all the basics covered but doesnt have too many of the gimmicks which a Top End Seltos might come with.

Fuel Efficiency:: From all reports, the DCT isnt too eager and gives a comparatively lower Fuel efficiency. But the manual should be much better. Plus I'm hearing that the 1.4 GDIs of Hyundai / Kia arent exactly Fuel efficiency champs either. I don't think any Turbo Petrol is too good on the Fuel efficiency front.

Performance: I don't think there are 0-60 or roll-on acceleration figures of the Compass petrol Manual. But I'm willing to bet that its faster that the 1.4 Kia/Hyundai GDIs. There are hardly any reviews of the Compass 1.4 petrol Manual that a lot of people use the the DCT's performance as a reference and write it off... The 1.4 MultiAir makes about 160 horses. Its a bummer that the petrol manual is only offered in Sport Plus. Good luck trying to get a Petrol manual car for a test drive. But yeah, the 2.0 diesel is definitely the fun engine. But the 1.4 Multiair is no slouch either.

Ride / Handling: No comparison.

Build Quality: Oh well. While the Indian Compass isn't GNCAP tested yet, its UK, Australia versions which are built in the same plant in Ranjangaon have fared well in crash tests. So we dont exactly know how the Indian version would fare. The Indian Seltos has been tested and we know how that went.

Practicality / Space: You already have the expectation set that its intended for 4 people. So i think both the Compass and Seltos are equally matched here.

I was seriously considering the Sport Plus manual for a while. But then we stretched the budget bit and got a Longitude Plus Diesel MT a few months ago (in Sep) and its been a lot of fun. Test drive a Compass before you decide.

Last edited by loki : 11th December 2020 at 21:01.
loki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 13:44   #2142
BHPian

The dealer has a January 2020-made Jeep Compass, which has been recently delivered from the Pune plant to his stockyard. Does it make sense to buy this almost 11-month old car?

Last edited by Rilke : 12th December 2020 at 13:55.
Old 12th December 2020, 14:03   #2143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
The dealer has a January 2020-made Jeep Compass, which has been recently delivered from the Pune plant to his stockyard. Does it make sense to buy this almost 11-month old car?
It should be fine. But make sure to do a proper PDI and negotiate hard on the discount.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:51   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
Are you sure, it is not any test drive or demo vehicle. How much have they quoted you for this vehicle?

In Mumbai, I am being offered a Jan'20 Limited Plus Diesel Auto, Demo vehicle (Un-registered) with 12.5K on the ODO. As of now they are quoting a price of 27.5Lacs. New Model costs 30L on-road. I have checked the vehicle and took an extended Test drive as well. There are minor Scars nothing major. Rest everything seems fine. 1 Year warranty is already over, 2 years remaining and I can buy additional warranty for 2 more years.

Question to everyone. I am tempted to go for this but certainly not at that price. I believe something around 21-24L would be a fair price for this.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:58   #2145
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,

I planning to go for the JC Longitude diesel AT.
Could someone share about their experience with specifically the diesel AT 4x4 with details on ownership experience, service issues if any, maintenance cost etc.
Also I am curious to know why Jeep is offering heavy discounts like the corporate discounts only on this model and not on the longitude plus diesel AT.
I did not have a convincing reasoning for this from dealerships in Hyderabad.
Is there some thing suspicious to worry about in this model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks