Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 22:35   #2101
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
That is their India sales numbers. They also export the same vehicle to all RHD countries from the same plant. UK and Australia for sure, perhaps some more too.

The future of service network may look grim but the manufacturing and parts availability should not be a problem. It is quite heavily localized. Spare part availability in the local market is quite good too, possibly because of the same reason.
The brand can export all they want but if not profitable in the domestic market, it will still be a financial burden to the brand as well to the dealers.

Chevrolet still exports the Beat from India but try selling a used Chevy or easily finding parts for a Beat. Other than common parts it's not easy to get mechanical parts.

The issue is not spare parts, the issue is a brand selling less than 1000 cars in the country with no signs of newer models in pipeline and banking on one single overpriced product.

Jeep india is plum last in sales numbers in India. Only brand lower than them is Nissan but that will change with Magnite. Moreover Nissan has Datsun and Renault which sell 10-12K monthly. So the group is doing well.

Jeep is going the Chevrolet way. With flailing sales in domestic, there is no incentive for dealers for servicing or sales. There is no funding from current models to fastrack new models. They are slow to even launch a facelift with minor changes.

If as a brand they need to succeed in India they need any of the below:

1. A brand like Maruti
2. Features and variants thrown in like crazy ala Kia/Hyundai
3. Reliability and badge of a Toyota
4. VFM pricing like Tata

No matter how good the JEEP is to drive, it is priced above the perceived value for the market.

Next year when Skoda localises the Karoq and VW does the same for T-Roc, the JEEP is going to struggle even more. Skoda/VW sold 2000+ T-ROC and KAroq which is almost as much as the Compass. And the compass has some 8-10 variants whereas they were single trims that too imported.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 22:37   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The brand can export all they want but if not profitable in the domestic market, it will still be a financial burden to the brand as well to the dealers.
Let's see how it all pans out.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2020 at 22:36. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post.
Old 5th December 2020, 12:23   #2103
BHPian

I think people are forgetting that FCA's existence in India is not dependent on the sale of Compass or Wrangler. The supply of engines to domestic companies and the export of RHD cars are its mainstay. As long as these cars in production for the international market, the spare parts and servicing should be available in India. There's no need to panic.

If you don't want to buy a Jeep car, you have the full right to do so. But unnecessary speculation is not helpful.
Rilke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 15:02   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
... No matter how good the JEEP is to drive, it is priced above the perceived value for the market.
Am curious. What exactly is this perceived value for market? Yours truly spent 6 months last year mulling between a Seltos GTX+ D-AT and Compass Limited AT. Seltos was onroad Bangalore then for 22L. Compass, 3L more. If I just look at the difference in the overall sturdiness or safety features (other than air bags) or BHP or sheer road presence, this 3L is fully justified. For the uninitiated, a Rapid and Octavia look rather similar. Will it be wise to say the minimum 10L in price difference between both is not justified?
anoop cheeran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 16:15   #2105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Am curious. What exactly is this perceived value for market? Yours truly spent 6 months last year mulling between a Seltos GTX+ D-AT and Compass Limited AT. Seltos was onroad Bangalore then for 22L. Compass, 3L more. If I just look at the difference in the overall sturdiness or safety features (other than air bags) or BHP or sheer road presence, this 3L is fully justified. For the uninitiated, a Rapid and Octavia look rather similar. Will it be wise to say the minimum 10L in price difference between both is not justified?
Was the Compass Limited AT just 3L more without any discounts? I'm assuming you paid 25L on road for the Diesel 4x4 Limited Plus AT?

My comparison is with the diesel cause I have driven the 1.4L Compass with the DDCT and IMO it is rubbish to drive (no offence meant). It was lacking in performance, feel and gearbox was nowhere close to what a DCT is supposed to be....

The Petrol Compass is even a tougher sell than the diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:20   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
..Was the Compass Limited AT just 3L more without any discounts? I'm assuming you paid 25L on road for the Diesel 4x4 Limited Plus AT.
The figure I quoted was after discounts, for a petrol AT 1.4 Ltd (O). You will find my ownership initial experience and how I made the call to go for this variant in the Compass Petrol AT thread.

I agree with you that it is no spring chicken as far as spirited driving is concerned. However, it also has its own merits, most which are detailed in this thread. My curiosity was around the statement many of us seem pretty comfortable using casually. The 'perceived market value'. 'Value for money' is a term I can understand and appreciate (low cost but more features, low cost but more safety, etc). But I personally would think it's a bit unfair to use a very vague and non objective terminology like perceived market value to put as a negative for a brand or a vehicle. Especially in a forum like ours, which people peruse through to make informed decisions.
anoop cheeran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:31   #2107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
But I personally would think it's a bit unfair to use a very vague and non objective terminology like perceived market value to put as a negative for a brand or a vehicle. Especially in a forum like ours, which people peruse through to make informed decisions.
I agree it's a bit vague but the perceived market value is what translates finally to sales numbers.

For example Toyota priced the YAris exactly the same as Honda City and it flopped. The Yaris was engineered very well had top notch safety with 7 airbags and felt really well built. But the design made it look smaller and narrower and less premium than the City. What Toyota should have done price the Yaris in between the Ciaz and City and closer to the Verna. This was what the buyers were looking for. After interacting with regular buyers you can see that this is what they were expecting the YAris to be priced at for them to consider.

Similarly for the Jeep, you know it is far better engineered than the Kia/Hyundai twins but however good it is under the skin, it remains a compact crossover and dimensions are closer to Seltos/Creta. So buyers seem to feel the Compass is worth considering if price was lower.

Whoever approached me for a recommendation in this segment would not even consider the Compass. It would be what should I buy between Hector, Seltos and Creta. I have turned them towards the JEEP and they have come back impressed. However the price has always been the issue.

The Longitude 4x4 AT 2.0MJD with very less features is 28L on road in bangalore. That's 6L more than the top spec Creta/Seltos Diesel 6AT. The top spec Compass limited Plus AT is 9L more!

After 2 lakhs discounts some buyers do get convinced but not a single person I've known is ready to buy the compass at full on road price unless they specifically want the compass and don't care about budget.

When I picked up my Kodiaq in Jan, the trailhawk was 35L and Limited Plus AT was not out, though I was told 2-3L lesser is expected. I found more value in paying 7L more for the Kodiaq and getting a car from almost 2 segments higher than the Compass at 35L.

If the Compass limited Plus 4x4 AT was 28-29L on road, I would have had a Compass parked in my garage than the Kodiaq.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 20:14   #2108
BHPian

Quote:

If the Compass limited Plus 4x4 AT was 28-29L on road, I would have had a Compass parked in my garage than the Kodiaq.
Compass Limited Plus 4x4 Diesel AT is available for 28.5L on-road in Delhi NCR.
Rilke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 06:29   #2109
BHPian

I think cars are priced way too high in Bangalore due to Rto taxes. When a person can afford to splurge more than quarter million rupees ( not spend) than he should consider what tugs his heartstrings along with the perceived value , giving more waitage to the former as one or two lakhs doesn't count in a longer perspective because it will give you joy everyday.

When you are driving a car like compass you can enjoy its virtues and people also know that you are a person who is a auto enthusiast. The USP of jeep is its exclusivity. People still give a second look to compass even after 3 years of its launch whereas Seltos etc have become too common. The real competitors of compass in European market are Tuscon and Tiaguan etc. If we look at there price and sales numbers than I think Compass is doing quite good for itself. The problem is for its dealers because they cannot sustain on a single product. Jeep can be successfull only if they start assembling or manufacturing their other vehicles in India.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 6th December 2020 at 06:32.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 18:55   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree it's a bit vague but the perceived market value is what translates finally to sales numbers.

For example Toyota priced the YAris exactly the same as Honda City and it flopped.
In the third para you say Compass is a compact Crossover, this I didn't know, which platform/chassis has Chrysler used to build the Compass? My limited knowledge and study shows it to be a proper SUV, and Not a crossover, as in sedans/hatches on stilts.
Sorry you happen to be a moderator, so a clear bias based on pricing, or being overly bothered or judgemental about success of a brand, not knowing their larger strategy, does not go well for the young enthusiasts we have on such forums. Fiats failure in India had other reasons, playing in a highly competitive segment, Jeep was the inventor of the term SUV, owned a Jeep Wagoneer in 1973/76, then a Jeep Cherokee in 2008/16, and remains niche. The Ford Bronco and Toyota Rav4 were the early compact suvs. The craze for crossovers is being exploited by all marketers, and its just the heart over mind for the buyers, 95% run around in cities and tarmac, and what is a 10% plus or minus in cost. This is all my personal opinions, and stand to be corrected.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2020 at 22:35. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post.
scooby05 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 20:46   #2111
BHPian

At the end of the day, size and dimensions dictate terms and classify cars in a particular category. The Compass has SUV DNA for sure, but mass market will pit it against the Creta and Seltos only as compact crossovers.

Compass lovers will buy the Compass straightaway, not concerned with the premium.
Old 6th December 2020, 20:59   #2112

Regards to all Team-bhp members.

Amidst all this debate on the future of FCA in India, I have fulfilled my dream of owning a Jeep. Took delivery of a Compass 2ltr diesel 4x4 AT magnesio grey on 02 Nov. Sorry for the late update!

I am guilty of being a mute spectator at this forum for the last 6 years. Yes thats 6 years! I admit being intimidated by the depth of expert opinions, comments and analysis posted by some very knowledgeable people here. But this occasion, were i have taken the bold step of materialising my long craving for this beauty definitely calls for the end of the era of watching on the sidelines.

Honestly every word of concern that the senior members like @Vid6639 have voiced on the forum on the future prospects of FCA in India, has crossed my mind over the past year when i was amassing the strength and finances for this great plunge. Am glad that the heart won over the head. Hoping to enjoy every one of the numerous miles lying ahead for me and my jeep to conquer. Finally thanks to all those diehard jeep fans on this forum who were instrumental in keeping the flame burning in my heart!

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2020 at 21:10.
deepluv4carz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:04   #2113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
In the third para you say Compass is a compact Crossover, this I didn't know, which platform/chassis has Chrysler used to build the Compass? My limited knowledge and study shows it to be a proper SUV, and Not a crossover, as in sedans/hatches on stilts.
I don't see the point in contending a point which is mentioned on page 1 of our official review 3 years ago. Please click on page 1 and you will see we have clearly mentioned "Compact SUV" "Crossover". Heck, our what you'll like point is "compact size".

Dimensions on paper and real are closer to the Creta/Seltos. Sit inside a Tucson or a Harrier and you can see the dimensions are much smaller than both.

Quote:
Sorry you happen to be a moderator, so a clear bias based on pricing, or being overly bothered or judgemental about success of a brand, not knowing their larger strategy, does not go well for the young enthusiasts we have on such forums. Fiats failure in India had other reasons, playing in a highly competitive segment
Nothing to do with being a moderator. It's simple economics. Jeep was supposed to get the Renegade to India but it has not seen the light of day.

There is a dealer network and no dealer will just be happy with 400-600 cars per month.

Either you sell low down models and keep the Compass on top so you are making money somewhere or you ensure your bread and butter model is a success.

Something that Ford managed with the Ecosport by pricing it correctly. What Kia managed with the Seltos and what Toyota manages with the Innova and then Fortuner but still sell a few Camry's for 50L.

Quote:
The craze for crossovers is being exploited by all marketers, and its just the heart over mind for the buyers, 95% run around in cities and tarmac, and what is a 10% plus or minus in cost. This is all my personal opinions, and stand to be corrected.
Heart over mind happens when the budget allows. Sales numbers at the end show that not many are doing what their heart wants and going with the mind. The decision can be made simple by simply offering the lower price rather than customers going to showroom and negotiating 2-3L.

I'm a big fan of the Compass and as I mentioned was 1 of my 2 choices. I make sure anyone looking at 20L SUV checks out the compass to see the package and I convince them that if they like they can negotiate hard for discounts. Without the discount word, 9/10 say no ways and its out of budget.

With discounts, I can convince 4/10 to shortlist it. Finally maybe 1 guy may get a Compass over the Creta/Seltos/Harrier.

My whole gripe is that the Compass deserves to sell more but thanks to the ambitious pricing it is not getting the numbers it deserves.

On a side note, welcome back to the forum. It's been a while since seeing your posts on the forum. I remember the STi discussions from way back

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th December 2020 at 22:18.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:40   #2114
BHPian

Quote:

My comparison is with the diesel cause I have driven the 1.4L Compass with the DDCT and IMO it is rubbish to drive (no offence meant). It was lacking in performance, feel and gearbox was nowhere close to what a DCT is supposed to be....

The Petrol Compass is even a tougher sell than the diesel.
Despite its weight, slow gearbox and perceived lower performance, the petrol Compass automatic does 0-100 kmph in around 10 seconds, faster than the diesel manual and diesel automatic. Have been using it for over 1.5 yrs and never found performance to be an issue, even where there is no road.

Think ~ 35-40% of Compass sold in India are petrols.

I have seen a bit of a bias against the Compass petrol automatic on Team-bhp. Or i think people here have ultra high expectations from the petrol Compass

The Compass diesel or petrol, more often than not, is a heart decision. In today's world, where crossovers start at 5 lakhs onwards, It will never make sense if we analyze price to value.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 6th December 2020 at 22:52.
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 00:08   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
There is a dealer network and no dealer will just be happy with 400-600 cars per month.
All the Jeep dealers I know have multiple dealerships. They are not dependent on one car company. They are hedging their bets well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks