Old 14th November 2017, 15:37   #631

Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
With all the good points about CR-V, I am just wondering why it is not ticking the sales register.
The only thing which has held the CRV back against all its other competitors is the lack of a diesel engine. In its petrol guise it is a gas guzzler with a mileage of 5-7 kmpl. If CRV launches with a Diesel engine option around 25 lacs , it will do well. But it is expected that the new CRV with Diesel engine would be upwards of 30 Lacs ex showroom.
The place where the Compass has succeeded is 15-21 lacs ex showroom where there were very few modern Diesel 5 seater SUVs.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 16:39   #632

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Update on the repair carried out:
O-ring not suitable for Indian conditions? Looks like quality issue with the O-ring (?) they used.
Do they use O-ring at this location? If it is other seal types (Extn type) correct installation is equally important as quality of seal.

To all Compass owners - Check and confirm that there is no seepage/leakage in your vehicle.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th November 2017 at 17:05.
Old 14th November 2017, 16:40   #633

My good friend Autospy spotted this rather curious-looking Jeep Compass test mule on the streets of Pune earlier today.

Different-coloured alloys on the rear wheels +
a black plastic garnish running on the boot door, just below the rear windshield:

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20171114wa0041.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20171114wa0039.jpg

Tags said "4x4" and "Limited":

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20171114wa0037.jpg

Test mule code number or something to do with the engine specs inside?

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20171114wa0038.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:13   #634

Whatever that black plastic cladding is, it does look ugly.

I like the black alloys. The Black alloys were spotted sometime back as well. It's very much on this thread.

The tail lights are not from the Limited variant. I guess those look like they are from a lower variant ?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 03:36   #635

Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I guess crv is better to drive? And faster in 0 to 80 kmph?
Better to drive, I doubt and the same for the sprint. The 1.4l petrol is quite potent on the Compass. Should be a lot more efficient on the highway cycle too.

The CR-V should definitely cocoon the passengers better.

If you are okay dealing with FCA and I say this being a past FCA car owner, then go ahead with Jeep.

Truth is, the CR-V is a very different class of car. The qualities you find in a CR-V will be amiss on a Jeep and there will be some that the Jeep excels at.
Old 16th November 2017, 04:34   #636

Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
With all the good points about CR-V, I am just wondering why it is not ticking the sales register.
Price and petrol only option.
The new gen CR-V's in North America comes with 1.5 Turbo petrol + CVT combo that also powers other Honda models (Civic, Accord, etc).
Old 19th November 2017, 16:31   #637

Waiting for my Compass Limited 4x2 diesel delivery next week. Just wanted to check if some body has changed the tires to better rubber after delivery for regular city and highway usage.
Old 19th November 2017, 16:40   #638

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Confused between Compass Petrol AT and CRV 2.4 AT

Any views?

Why not look at the Tucson Petrol AT as well? It is not as quick as the Compass or the Honda obviously, but is in no way underpowered and offers the benefits of both the cars in a single package. It looks great, has all the equipment like the Jeep, and matches the CR-V in terms of refinement, fit and finish, after-sales support and reliability. If you are looking for a comfortable family SUV, the Hyundai makes perfect sense. If however you want something more driver focused, the CR-V with its bigger engine probably is a better bet.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 19th November 2017 at 16:42.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 22:24   #639

Took Jeep Compass's test drive today. Have April 2012 Innova (60,000 kms done) which doesn't see 7 seater utility any more or rather, its more often than not used as a 3 or 4 passenger car. Twice or thrice an year, its utilized to full 7-seater capacity. Have to admit that Innova's ride remains stable and its handling isn't affected with 7 passengers on board.

Thought of Jeep Compass as an upgrade to a safe, solidly build car for parents. A car that isn't large to drive in urban chaos, can be parked inside my home at native place and at our residence in Ahemdabad. Innova is simply too big. Innova is generally used by parents and some of my
highway runs, rest of my highway duties are managed by Swift.

Most of the things are covered well in this thread, so will just chip in something I didn't like much.

1) This car cannot pass second gear speed-breaker test. Typically, I expect a large diesel to drive away in second gear from around 10 kmph. Either second gear is too tall in Compass or there was something wrong in the car I drove. Tried more than once to drive away from 10 kmph or so in second gear, but ended up getting a jerk and nearly stalled the machine. Acceleration is really good once the car gets moving but sense of urgency I expected wasn't there. Liner acceleration once turbo spools is practical and comfortable on the whole.

Sales Person told me that before peak torque rpm this jerk happens, told him even smaller diesels manage it like Duster or larger ones like the one I was thinking of replacing.

2) Steering didn't weigh up as much as I liked, but it feels direct. I would have loved a heavier steering at highway speeds. Sound insulation was good,ride at slow speeds was stiff. Highway behavior stands out overall.

3) Test Drive Experience. I was made to sign a document with indemnity clause stating that I will be responsible for any loss to vehicle and third party in case of an accident during test drive and that I will pay up for the respective damages. Didn't like it, but still signed and went onto test drive. The Jeep dealer is located on NH-8 and during test drive I had access to highway. When I accelerated to 80-85 kmph, the sales person told me anything above 70 kmph is not allowed. He seemed a bit aggressive but didn't raise his voice. Didnt like this. Having signed an indemnity clause and not going above 70 kmph doesn't add up. While its well understood that some may abuse the car during test drive, I wasn't exactly doing that and my intention was to see how it cruises in 90 kmph zone which is what my parents approve and chauffeur is comfortable at. My Innova rarely sees 100 kmph on NE-1 which, infact, has a speed limit of 100 kmph.

IIRC, the document having indemnity clause didn't mention maximum 70 kmph speed during test drive. The sales person never bothered to inform me regarding the same before test drive. If the speed limit was brought into picture before going for test drive, that wouldn't lead to disappointment.

His input on speed marred my excitement.

4) Rear Seat isn't as spacious or comfortable. Was dissatisfied and struggling to find the right sort of support in rear seat, specially under thigh support. Rear seat felt flat. Note that my Innova has captain's seats in middle row.

Overall : Dicey, rather will retain Innova. Compass is a car that is meant to be driven, not driven in IMO. I wont put in money on the car before I take longer test drive at cruising speeds. For a 5-6 lakh rupee car, small test drives are still digestable, not for a car costing north of Rs. 20 lakhs.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th November 2017 at 22:37.
aaggoswami is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 07:00   #640

Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IIRC, the document having indemnity clause didn't mention maximum 70 kmph speed during test drive. The sales person never bothered to inform me regarding the same before test drive. If the speed limit was brought into picture before going for test drive, that wouldn't lead to disappointment.
Wonder if these are practices at the dealer-level or as per instructions from Jeep/FCA. When I went for the test drive (2nd or 3rd day after the launch), they did not even ask for the DL. The sales manager encouraged to try country-roads and highway; he was so confident about the vehicle that at one signal he even suggested to floor the pedal and see how the compass leave the other cars far behind and reach 100 kmph in a jiffy
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 08:05   #641

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

His input on speed marred my excitement.

Serious. This is some stupid indemnity. How are we supposed to buy the Compass testing it at less than 75 kmph? They will get only negative reviews of the Compass at slow speeds. The ride at low speeds is quite harsh.

The Innova captain seats are amongst the best in the business. Probably you will not get that rear seat comfort even if you pay upwards of 60 lakhs.

Wonder if these are practices at the dealer-level or as per instructions from Jeep/FCA. When I went for the test drive (2nd or 3rd day after the launch), they did not even ask for the DL. The sales manager encouraged to try country-roads and highway; he was so confident about the vehicle that at one signal he even suggested to floor the pedal and see how the compass leave the other cars far behind and reach 100 kmph in a jiffy

I was asked for my DL before the test drive and that's it. I was encouraged to push the car on bad roads. There was no speed limits set for my test drive. It is some dealer discretion rule.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th November 2017 at 08:08.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 22:05   #642

Finally got to test drive the compass today. It was the longitude model with black and beige interiors. Pics attached below.

Top level observations:
1. Its a stonker of an engine. Propels the pretty big vehicle to speed in quick time.
2. The clutch is heavier than the Punto. Won’t be the easiest drive in stop and go traffic.
3. Its a narrow car. 3 at the back will not be comfortable.
4. Legroom is ok. Not as good as the City or Ciaz. The sitting position is pretty upright which liberates enough knee room.
5. Keeping the White (nee ski grey) interiors clean is going to be a pain. All showroom cars were looking dirty. This is as much a reflection of the colour choice as the care given by the dealer KHT Prime. The dealership expereince continues to be rubbish.
6. The longitude interiors look smart except for the dull plastics on the dashboard. The longitude doesn’t get the piano black finish of the limited trim. Looks odd on a Rs 22.5 lakh vehicle. Also the missing rear camera is a big downer for those who choose the longitude, since the rearward visibility is not the greatest.
7. The suspension rode flat across undulations and it was silent. I liked it.

I feel, this is a good car if you are into long distance driving especially on highways. For the city crawl the size and the heavy clutch of the compass make it a less than ideal vehicle. Didn’t get a chance to test drive the autobox which might solve these issues.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-19dd1cc3ba7e4047a652d148b97a2e7f.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-78ee4d09eb0e42c18220f457d8edb170.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-79d0afa56690483fac1526de1fdaa420.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-62dd4c9c06ce4180a09086dc317daf7e.jpeg  

Silverfire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 07:30   #643

The first right-hand-drive cars due in the UK in February 2018.

The £22,995 starting price buys a Sport 1.6 MultiJet II 120hp 4x2, which is a front-wheel-drive variant powered by a 1598cc turbodiesel engine producing 118bhp and mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.
The Compass Trailhawk will be powered with the 168bhp 2.0-litre diesel engine equipped with a low-range mode and will top the range at a price of £35,595.
LINK
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:57   #644

If one were to remove that rubber/plastic lip under the Compass how much of a difference would it make in the 17 degree AoA?
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:30   #645

Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
If one were to remove that rubber/plastic lip under the Compass how much of a difference would it make in the 17 degree AoA?
It should make a difference of at least 3 degrees in the Angle of approach and take it to around 20 degrees. I have also been thinking of getting it removed too. The Sport versions come without the lower lip.