Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 19:23   #541
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
India-made Jeep Compass sets sail to right-hand-drive markets.

Clap: Awesome. I can see a couple of Trail Hawks as well. Any idea if the diesel autos have also been shipped. Curious to know if they have their gearbox ready.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 25th October 2017 at 19:41.
Old 26th October 2017, 07:15   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Clap: Awesome. I can see a couple of Trail Hawks as well. Any idea if the diesel autos have also been shipped. Curious to know if they have their gearbox ready.
Looks so as here is the news from ACI,

Quote:
Jeep Compass Trailhawk production begins in India.
Rugged Trailhawk to be export-only for now; gets a 2.0-litre diesel engine mated to a nine-speed auto.

There is no news on whether Jeep will bring this variant to India. However, there are talks of the Compass diesel automatic heading to showrooms in the coming months
link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 12:20   #543
BHPian

The Jeep Compass galloping along making life dreamy for Fiat: FCA India begins exports of Made-in-India Jeep Compass (Source: http://www.business-standard.com/art...2500951_1.html)

Fiat has started exports of its India made Jeep Compass with first lot of 600 units on way to Australia and Japan, the company's first two right-hand drive export destinations. The shipment was dispatched from Bombay Port Trust Ltd.

President and Managing Director Kevin Flynn said the company is looking forward to a strong 2018 when production will be at full pace delivering on target domestic and export numbers.
Old 26th October 2017, 12:47   #544
BHPian

Autocar is out with its review of the Petrol Compass
Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-406340
Silverfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 15:34   #545
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2017 at 09:14.
RegularIndian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th October 2017, 12:00   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Autocar is out with its review of the Petrol Compass
Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-406340
Quote:
There’s a noticeable turbo lag below 2,000rpm and the bottom-end performance isn’t as strong. It’s only when you spin this motor beyond 2,200rpm that you get a prominent spike in power delivery, after which the Compass briskly gathers pace, riding on a nice wave of torque.
That's not very exciting. Below the turbo range, the engine is basically a 1368 cc NA engine. And it needs to be seen how the auotobox is tuned. If it is tuned for mileage, like the Ecosport, you would have to kick down quite often to extract some performance - which would tire you down after some time. On top of it, there is no sport mode.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:59   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That's not very exciting. Below the turbo range, the engine is basically a 1368 cc NA engine. And it needs to be seen how the auotobox is tuned. If it is tuned for mileage, like the Ecosport, you would have to kick down quite often to extract some performance - which would tire you down after some time. On top of it, there is no sport mode.
That sort of Lag is definitely expected for such a heavy car, with a pint sized engine.

Looks like the gearbox isn't well tuned for city use either.

Quoting from ACI:
Quote:
In stop and go conditions, however, it can get confused and cause some jerks. Also, it’s slow to respond to throttle inputs; so put your foot down and it will take some time to recognise the need to downshift, before reacting.
However, there is a manual mode which solves this problem to an extent by holding the gear, but this takes away from the entire point of owning an automatic. Neither is there a sport mode and nor does it have paddleshifters.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 13:02   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
Fiat has started exports of its India made Jeep Compass with first lot of 600 units on way to Australia and Japan, the company's first two right-hand drive export destinations. The shipment was dispatched from Bombay Port Trust Ltd.
I wonder if Japan and Australia have stricter homoglation standards which require Jeep to move their indicator stalks to the right side to align with a right handed driving position
Old 27th October 2017, 13:09   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That sort of Lag is definitely expected for such a heavy car, with a pint sized engine.

Looks like the gearbox isn't well tuned for city use either.

Quoting from ACI:
Lag is expected, but with a 7 speed gearbox, they can always program the shifts so that it mostly stays in the turbo range (say above 2000rpm). But that sucks petrol, so most of the manufacturers don't do that. In my ecosport, it up-shifts at the lowest possible rpm often leaving the car gasping for power. The sport mode in the Ecosport provides some respite, while here in the compass there is no sport mode too, which is disappointing.

ACI reports that Compass Diesel Automatic will be launched in Jan 2018, so I'll wait till then, take a back to back test drive and then decide.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:12   #550
BHPian

I took late Evening test drive and noticed that the brightness of the Headlights very low both high\Low beams one Limited variant. When compared to the present head lights on my I20 which is 100\90 W aftermarket, I feel compass’s head light are underpowered or is it my assumption. Did anyone feel the same?
Old 28th October 2017, 12:48   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
I took late Evening test drive and noticed that the brightness of the Headlights very low both high\Low beams one Limited variant. When compared to the present head lights on my I20 which is 100\90 W aftermarket, I feel compass's head light are underpowered or is it my assumption. Did anyone feel the same?
Yes the Limited version with only a single beam projector Halogen does feel insufficient. The Longitude and Sport versions are better off with separate High low beam reflectors and bulbs. To solve this problem I upgraded my Limited version bulbs to LED bulbs and the light is substantially better now. You can find more details on my ownership thread.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 15:17   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes the Limited version with only a single beam projector Halogen does feel insufficient. The Longitude and Sport versions are better off with separate High low beam reflectors and bulbs. To solve this problem I upgraded my Limited version bulbs to LED bulbs and the light is substantially better now. You can find more details on my ownership thread.
Thank you for the update and read through your ownership thread.

So if in case I plan for compass, should i go for a variant Low or high, is it worth taking the LTD O

Last edited by Roshan_v_k : 28th October 2017 at 15:19.
Old 28th October 2017, 15:27   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Thank you for the update and read through your ownership thread.

So if in case I plan for compass, should i go for a variant Low or high, is it worth taking the LTD O
The variant which I would recommend for the diesel is the Longitude O version as it is best value. The Ltd O is around 1L more expensive in onroad price than the Ltd with only a Black roof and Xenon headlights which is way too much! If you can afford it get the 4x4 Ltd O version which will also get you the 6 airbags.

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th October 2017 at 15:30.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 10:23   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The variant which I would recommend for the diesel is the Longitude O version as it is the best value. The Ltd O is around 1L more expensive in on-road price than the Ltd with only a Black roof and Xenon headlights which is way too much! If you can afford it get the 4x4 Ltd O version which will also get you the 6 airbags.
Thank you, 4x4 Ltd is way out of my budget. Let me once again closely check Longitude O. After which I will ping you personally.
Old 29th October 2017, 17:16   #555
Senior - BHPian

Just a little curious as to why the passenger airbag did not deploy in the full width frontal collusion? Is it probably because there was no seat belted dummy in the passenger seat?

Both the front airbags deploy in the side pole test. I did not see a dummy in the front passenger seat as well.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th October 2017 at 17:19.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks