Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 10:24   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
Something fishy, we bought a headache for 22 lacs!!!
Did you not do your own PDI of the vehicle before taking delivery? If not the paint, which may go unoticed in different light conditions, that mark on the plastic panel might have given you some indicator. Does that panel fit to a door or component of the car the 3M chap indicated as being repainted?

The low PSI is also suggesting that the car has been standing for a while. Possibly at the garage waiting for parts. You need to inform FCA about this and how your dealer responded.
Old 30th November 2017, 19:44   #662

Hey all,

The best Jeep Compass review out there undoubtedly. Trust me, as I have gone through most before my co-brother proudly owned one last month. thank you. The latest member to our garage was the Jeep Compass 4x4 MT variant. In the first couple of weeks, we experienced the finest behind-the-wheel experience that our money could buy. We all had that grin of pride and honor whenever we got behind the wheel.

But sad to say it all was short-lived.

Last week we noticed an irritating, more-than-normal turbo-lag while opening the throttle below the 2000 rpm mark. This special turbo-lag was not noticed by us before and the-even-more-sad-part was that it was not easily reproducible as it was seen only in a cold-engine period of initial 20 to 25 minutes of drive, after which this "special" turbo-lag faded off.

We took to the internet to mail our problem to the jeep-official-emails from which no reply has been inboxed to us yet. We did not see any such problem reported from any other Jeep Compass owners, even after a lot of web-hunt. When we took it to the Jeep exclusive showroom in Kochi; they, after a lots of ifs and buts, have dismissed our complaint as a problem of "all" the jeep compass 4x4 MT variants, much to our dismay.

We had not experienced a similar problem in the test drive car (which incidentally was a 4x2) or in an other 4x2 jeep compass that we had an access to. Sadly we have not taken a test drive in a 4x4 mt before our purchase as there was not one available at that time and we took-it-for-granted that the 4x4 will be similar. To add on to our woes neither the test drive vehicle nor the other compass that we test-drove was in the cold-engine condition.

We now feel cheated and disheartened by the so called iconic jeep brand. we feel we should have listened to the stats which labelled jeep as a company of poor repute as far as customer satisfaction goes and now we understand that it was all up there for a reason.

My fellow bhpians,

Though they have brought out a good car, i feel, these guys will sure leave you all at sea when the hour of need comes to you. beware .
Will keep you guys updated if anything turns around.

Till then,
cheers and ride safe.

Mod Note: Only 2 Smilies per post please.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2017 at 20:09. Reason: Formatted for Grammar
theREDcamero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 01:04   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDcamero View Post
Last week we noticed an irritating, more-than-normal turbo-lag while opening the throttle below the 2000 rpm mark.
Could you elaborate on this? When you say more-than-normal, do you say that there is a longer lag? Say, normally the turbo comes into action at 1800 rpm, but in this case it waits till 2000 rpm?

Or that when the turbo is not in action, the power is much lower than normal?

Either way, you could verify this on a dyno. I suggest you do that and take the results to the dealer.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 02:27   #664
BHPian

Ok so owners can help me out with this. Most people told me that the back seat is good for only 2 people on long drives like that of the creta and that for true 3 people comfort the duster/capture is better is this true?
Old 1st December 2017, 08:10   #665
BHPian

Quote:
This special turbo-lag was not noticed by us before and the-even-more-sad-part was that it was not easily reproducible as it was seen only in a cold-engine period of initial 20 to 25 minutes of drive, after which this "special" turbo-lag faded off.
I wanted to write about this before. Mine is a Jeep 2wd. During cold starts, I occasionally get vibrating (clattering) sounds from the engine while pressing the accelerator. This goes on for about 20 minutes. If I stop the engine and switch it back on, then it's back to the normal note. But I don't see any changes in the turbo. Would be great if other owners put in their inputs.
karthik_freaky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:23   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Ok so owners can help me out with this. Most people told me that the back seat is good for only 2 people on long drives like that of the creta and that for true 3 people comfort the duster/capture is better is this true?
Its good for 2 adults and a kid. The back bench of Duster/captur is wider can sit 3 adults. Better to take a back to back TD.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:42   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Could you elaborate on this? When you say more-than-normal, do you say that there is a longer lag? Say, normally the turbo comes into action at 1800 rpm, but in this case it waits till 2000 rpm?

Or that when the turbo is not in action, the power is much lower than normal?

Either way, you could verify this on a dyno. I suggest you do that and take the results to the dealer.
Thank you for the interest sir,

This issue characteristically presents itself in cold-engine starts alone. we had not noticed this issue for the first couple of weeks, may be due to the fact that we were getting to know the character of the car gradually or may be due to the fact that we dealt with the gas pedal rather gently until then. Once we start the drive and work up through the gears, in about a minute, a clatter unveils from the engine bay region which gradually get louder and once we get to the top gears the rpm gets glued to the 1800 range even if we floor the accelerator. neither does it get beyond that rpm in the same gear with full throttle open, nor is any visual command in the MID to downshift. this is the usual pattern.

During another stint, the rpm very gradually dragged itself beyond the 2000 rpm over which the was a sudden boost of power; note that, this happened on flooring the gas pedal and maintaining it. If we take the foot off the pedal during this slump, and pump-in the gas again repeatedly, sometimes not every-time, the rpm climbs over 2000 and gets going.

All these demons vanishes after doing about a 20 to 25 km on the drive and the compass gets back to its original skins; no more slump and no more clatter during the rest of the day.
This peculiar issue was luckily demonstrable to the dealer sales-manager who readily agreed to us. but, after taking a day or two to ponder over the issue, he has dismissed the issue citing that this is a common problem to all 4x4 jeep compasses.

I hope i was able to make the point across to you sir. The dealers say that this is a common problem in all their 4x4 cars, but we cant help but feel that they are bluffing and slipping out of their shortcomings.

Dear experts,
Is it possible in this day and age to have a diesel motor to experience these cold engine-warm engine issues?

It would also be great, if any jeep compass 4x4 owners or those who have ridden them and have experienced the same issue or others whose experience with the compass 4x4 have been decent without any of this trouble, comment on this.

By the way, sir, please throw some light on what this dyno is and how to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Dear sir, its true.
The back seat is not as wide as duster. Having said that three aboard is not that uncomfortable as an Ecosport, but should say it is not as comfortable as a duster either. The Creta reference is spot on.

Mod Note: Please consider using capitals at the start of a sentence. Else it becomes difficult to spot a break in sentence and hence a logical point made.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2017 at 08:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 1st December 2017, 11:50   #668
BHPian

Quote:
We had not experienced a similar problem in the test drive car (which incidentally was a 4x2) or in an other 4x2 jeep compass that we had an access to. Sadly we have not taken a test drive in a 4x4 mt before our purchase as there was not one available at that time and we took-it-for-granted that the 4x4 will be similar. To add on to our woes neither the test drive vehicle nor the other compass that we test-drove was in the cold-engine condition.
That the test drive vehicles were not started cold is probably the reason you observe this discrepancy. All turbo diesels have a higher lag and louder clatter at cold starts and it gets better as the engine warms up. Probably the difference is more pronounced in Jeeps and that's why the dealers may not find it as a unique problem.

Like @civic-sense mentioned, get it tested on the dyno in some car workshop and take the dyno report to the dealer to compare against others.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:01   #669
BHPian

it would also be great, if any jeep compass 4x4 owners or those who have ridden them and have experienced the same issue or others whose experience with the compass 4x4 have been decent without any of this trouble, comment on this.

I have a 4x4 compass. I don't have such a problem. But incidentally a friend of mine who owns a 4x2 has a similar problem. Actually we swapped our vehicles for a cold morning drive to check. It was not there in my 4x4.
The reason they gave at our service centre was that it's due to poor quality diesel. Well I'm not sure.
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:20   #670

Learned cohorts, a question. I'm not sure if this is off topic so asking anyway. The PDI list mentions a token gift for the showroom executive as well who's been your guy all the while pre-delivery. Any ideas on what this token gift could be or what an appropriate monetary value would be?

I am very close to delivery of my Red (slightly modded) Limited AT and wanted to just get this one item off my list. Thanks in advance
psychogogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:56   #671

Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
I wanted to write about this before. Mine is a Jeep 2wd. During cold starts, I occasionally get vibrating (clattering) sounds from the engine while pressing the accelerator. This goes on for about 20 minutes. If I stop the engine and switch it back on, then it's back to the normal note. But I don't see any changes in the turbo. Would be great if other owners put in their inputs.
Sir,
This clatter which got us both worried, they(the dealer) say, is uniform for all the jeep compasses including the 4x4 and the 4x2. Whatever! but i think it is very unfair for any company to find a flaw experienced by most of its clients and do nothing about it. Pathetic response from jeep to say the least. lets see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
That the test drive vehicles were not started cold is probably the reason you observe this discrepancy. All turbo diesels have a higher lag and louder clatter at cold starts and it gets better as the engine warms up. Probably the difference is more pronounced in Jeeps and that's why the dealers may not find it as a unique problem.

Like @civic-sense mentioned, get it tested on the dyno in some car workshop and take the dyno report to the dealer to compare against others.
Sir,

Thank you for your input. completely agree with you on the general aspect regarding the cold-diesel-motors-with-a-turbocharger and its clatter and lag issues. But if such a massive turbo-lag issue, as the one we are experiencing, were to exist in this 2.0 MULTIJET-Turbo-Diesel mill then it should have been there for all the jeep compasses, right? But it's not the case here; such a marked problem is not reported by users as we know it from the showrooms or the net-hunt we have done till now or the car reviews available in the internet/magazines-of-repute. Even the jeep exclusive showroom sales manager was startled when he experienced this problem on-his-own in our car. they told us that they have sold over 300 compasses from their showroom at Kochi and the showroom at Thrissur has sold around 200 and none of the customers have reported such a problem as yet.

Regarding the dyno, we are planning on it now as per the inputs received from here. I inquired about it at the Petes tuning center here in Kochi and they don't have this facility as of now. They prompted such a facility might exist in either Bangalore or Coimbatore. Any suggestions sir?

Cheers and thanks a ton.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2017 at 08:33. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2017, 17:57   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogogo View Post
Learned cohorts, a question. I'm not sure if this is off topic so asking anyway. The PDI list mentions a token gift for the showroom executive as well who's been your guy all the while pre-delivery. Any ideas on what this token gift could be or what an appropriate monetary value would be?
There is a whole thread on this topic. Check here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...very-time.html

Quote:
regarding the dyno, we are planning on it now as per the inputs received from here. i inquired about it at the petes tuning center here in kochi and they don't have this facility as of now. they prompted such a facility might exist in either bangalore or coimbatore. any suggestions sir?
A google search returns a few more places in Kerala:

Jerry's Performance in TVM. This is closer for you.

Lap 47 Performance Studio in Kochi.

Code6 Tuning in Kochi

VAGTUNE in Kochi.

BTW, now that it is emerging that it is a common issue with the Diesel compass, you may not waste any money on the dyno and prepare to live with it. For example, consider shifting down than waiting for the turbo to spool. Anyway, it would be good if you can verify this by driving another Compass in cold start.

ps: Now I have a stronger case for the Compass Petrol AT.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 18:16   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
it would also be great, if any jeep compass 4x4 owners or those who have ridden them and have experienced the same issue or others whose experience with the compass 4x4 have been decent without any of this trouble, comment on this.

I have a 4x4 compass. I don't have such a problem. But incidentally a friend of mine who owns a 4x2 has a similar problem. Actually we swapped our vehicles for a cold morning drive to check. It was not there in my 4x4.

The reason they gave at our service centre was that it's due to poor quality diesel. Well I'm not sure.
Thank you for the input. Well bravo! you are right about doubting them, sir. Interestingly this was the explanation put forward by the dealers when we first raised this issue a few days back. As per their directions we followed it up with a fuel top up from a COCO fuel station and a Reliance fuel station, only to find little has changed.

The problems persisted. The next solution-in-line for them was to clean the diesel particulate filter via the computer. They tried that and it was flogging-a-dead-horse again. Another point against the DPF was that, if it were such a problem, it should have been there all along the drive rather than just in the cold starts alone,right? At least, that is what I understand.

Anyways, it is interesting to know that this issue is not there on a fellow 4x4 compass while being present-in-isolated on a 4x2. will raise this point then to the pinnacle jeep showroom then, only if its okay with you.

Sir can you, only if you don't mind, inbox me your contact number (at praseethkr@yahoo.co.in or here) so that I can contact you, if in any case of utmost need. The Jeep folks at the showroom are all set to demonstrate to us this lag, tomorrow, at their showroom to nail-us with the fact that this is a problem faced by all 4x4 users of compass.

Looking forward to a positive response.
So long. Ciao.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2017 at 08:31. Reason: Formatting
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:42   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

A test mule of the Compass was spotted by Bhushan Raut on the roads around Pune, sporting a new dark Maroon (or similar) shade.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-c1.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-c2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 11:23   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
I also get the same kind of noise in my Compass 2wd. It happens when I take it out every morning and it usually persists till the time I reach office which is about a 30 minute drive from home. However what I have noticed is that the noise gradually starts fading off after about 30 -45 minutes on its own and the engine isn't very audible except for the turbo whistle after that. This noise was much more evident earlier, now that the car has done more than 7000 Kms, its come down quite a bit.

I do understand that its normal for most diesel engines to make this kind of noise when its cold, but what I am not able to understand is how the noise goes off, if I switch off the engine and switch it back on after driving it for just 15 minutes. Going by the cold engine logic, even if I switch the engine off & switch it on, the noise should still be there right?
Vishnuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks