Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 14:56   #796
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vats View Post

Another thing I noticed was that when using the Auto mode in the AC, it turns off the Air recirculation and AC buttons (though it still blows cold air). Isn't that abnormal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vats View Post
It is a design flaw. My uncle bought the same car and he's facing the same issue.
If the ACC is something like the Punto & Lineas
The mode of operation is
1. With Auto enabled - the user / occupant sets the temperature - the Auto control will manage the fan speed and internal / external air combination.
2. Even with ACC on Auto - it can and will recirculate air - and periodically take air from outside - every 20 - 30 minutes - OR - if external air temperature is conducive / closer to the internal set air temperature - to reduce load on the AC system
3. The defualt value for ACC is open as in it will check whether to take internal or external air
4. This can be (has to be) manually changed to internal re circulation every time the ACC starts.
5. Even if the ACC is set to recirculation mode - if we go near areas where there are strong smells - eg - Sugar factory - this will anyway seep in !
PM - B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 08:52   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Morimoto 2 stroke LEDs look most promising but they are large and would probably need cutting of the headlight dust covers. They are supposed to deliver 5000 lumens against the 1600 lumens of the stock halogens. But on the beam spread only an actual installation can prove whether it is good. There is a Morimoto distributor in Delhi who can probably offer the same. Otherwise HID is the only other option and Morimoto is also quite good in that.
I have tried morimoto experiment in my previous car, its not so easy to do DIY as shown in youtube .

On top of that anyone does flash headlamp (Where both hi/low glows, in my case mostly service center does that) the relay box gets blown, for which I have to wait for the relay box from US to come and rescue my headlamp.

Soon I realized headlamp are very important for person like me who does lots of night drive or for anyone that matter. So I dumped all my morimoto experiment and switched to OE one. This is my experience, not sure anything improved here.

I too have JC Limited, If dealer could fit Limited+ (bi-xenon) with warranty we could go for that, otherwise bulb change is the possible solution I feel.
Old 26th January 2018, 09:52   #798
BHPian

Test Drove the Compass Diesel yesterday.What an engine and the enormous rush of torque.Easily achieved a speed of 140 kmph on an open stretch of road but didnt push it further.The body roll is limited and the clutch seemed light.Infact,it was as if I was driving this vehicle for the last 6 months.

Looks really attractive is an understatement

Wanted an automatic,had almost bought the City ZX CVT last week.Glad that I tried out the Compass.It might be 7L more,a manual,only 2 airbags but totally worth it
joy_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 15:47   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Morimoto 2 stroke LEDs look most promising but they are large and would probably need cutting of the headlight dust covers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have tried morimoto experiment in my previous car, its not so easy to do DIY as shown in Youtube.
It seems that it's more of trial and error right now. Nonetheless, I'll check out the available options at Morimoto! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
If the ACC is something like the Punto & Lineas
Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Test Drove the Compass Diesel yesterday.
Performance and looks of this car is top class, without a doubt! Up until a few days ago, people have asked me about it at red lights!

Diesel automatic might only be a couple of months away. If you can wait, it'll be a great deal.

Last edited by noopster : 29th January 2018 at 16:09. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 27th January 2018, 10:08   #800
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rakshit Chawla shares the following email. Anyone else facing the issue? Solutions?

Quote:
This mail is regarding a 'Strange Noise' coming from the dashboard of my Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.0D. I bought the Jeep Compass on 30th December 2017 from LSC Automobiles Private Limited, Dehradun. After driving the vehicle for about a week, I noticed some strange "Rattling Noise' coming from the dashboard of the vehicle.

I visited the Mopar Service Station, Dehradun to discuss this issue with the service executives. I was informed by the executives that this problem is common to all the vehicles sold in the November-December 2017 period. They further informed me about the "Recall Representation" made to the higher authorities by the service station in this regard. I further enquired about the issue from other fellow Compass owners and some of them did complain about such noise. The noise is not much, but yes it is very much audible and dampens the pleasure of driving a brand new car. I again visited the service station but to no benefit. Was told that the car is perfectly fine and the "little" dashboard clutter will only go once the proper recalls are made by FCA.

You people are the lines that connect us motor enthusiasts and guide us to make better and informed car buying decisions. Please help me. I want to highlight the issue to concerned authorities through you as I have been unable to reach the higher ups and my problem persists; I have tried everything at the dealer level.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 11:40   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rakshit Chawla shares the following email. Anyone else facing the issue? Solutions?
Had this rattling issue since day one. Magically, it has disappeared for the last 3 weeks. Took it for the 5k service and informed the guys. Behemoth and two others have the same issue.
karthik_freaky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 11:44   #802
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had it. The noise was from the meter console. I got it addressed at True Sai works in Salem. The fix was to remove and add some padding (using sponges) and refitting it.

90% of the noise is gone now. There is still a very marginal noise occurring over bad patches of road. Will ask them to get that addressed during my next visit.
h14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 17:35   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Test Drove the Compass Diesel yesterday.What an engine and the enormous rush of torque.Easily achieved a speed of 140 kmph on an open stretch of road but didnt push it further.The body roll is limited and the clutch seemed light.Infact,it was as if I was driving this vehicle for the last 6 months.

Looks really attractive is an understatement

Wanted an automatic,had almost bought the City ZX CVT last week.Glad that I tried out the Compass.It might be 7L more,a manual,only 2 airbags but totally worth it
Test Drove the petrol automatic today with an objective to eliminate this choice and choose the diesel manual

To my utter surprise,the petrol automatic is not at all sluggish.It has a lag below 2000 rpm but once you pass that is quite fast.Also,the automatic is so much more convenient to drive in city traffic.

The mileage on the MID was also showing as 6.3 kmpl which I think would be around 8 kmpl with sedate driving(which I do 80% of the time).I am sure the persons TD-ing this car were driving as crazily as I was and hence the 6.3 kmpl mileage

Left me more confused as to whether to choose the diesel manual or the petrol automatic

Have not read any ownership review for the petrol automatic here.The diesel automatic launch also does not seem to be on the cards atleast in the next 3-4 months.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by theMAG : 28th January 2018 at 19:42. Reason: Editing to the maximum of 2 smileys/post.
Old 28th January 2018, 10:09   #804
BHPian

Quote:
The mileage on the MID was also showing as 6.3 kmpl which I think would be around 8 kmpl with sedate driving(which I do 80% of the time).I am sure the persons TD-ing this car were driving as crazily as I was and hence the 6.3 kmpl mileage

Left me more confused as to whether to choose the diesel manual or the petrol automatic.
If you are on the lookout for an automatic (as I was), then the Compass is absolutely fine.

I get 9-10 kmpl in daily Delhi traffic, and got a little over 12 on the Yamuna Expressway to Agra.

Sudden acceleration does confuse the gearbox sometimes, and there may be a couple seconds delay before it figures out the right gear. But that hasn't happened that often either.
Fusion2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 12:17   #805
Senior - BHPian

We had visited the KHT Prime Jeep Showroom in Yeshwantpur in late December (URL)

Yesterday, I had a chat with my Uncle and he said the Dealer response from Yeshwantpur has been atrocious. It has been a month and the Sales Rep had not been able to arrange for the test drive at home despite multiple calls.

My Uncle was terribly upset with the KHT Prime, Yeshwantpur and he ruled them out. I handed him the Contact number for Jeep Domlur. We fixed up an appointment with them and went to Domlur yesterday.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_165022_hdr.jpg
KHT Prime - Jeep Showroom in Domlur, Bangalore

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_164957_hdr.jpg
Shorlisted Colors - Blue and Red

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_162926_hdr.jpg
Showroom Interior

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_153540_hdr.jpg
More Interiors

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_153531_hdr.jpg
J Is for Jeep

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_162917_hdr.jpg
Jeep Poster on the Wall

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_153544_hdr.jpg
Alloys & Other Accessories

The Sales Experience
Tauseef was the Sales Rep who greeted us. He arranged for a Test Drive within 5 minutes of us reaching the Showroom. The Test Drive went well. This was followed by Tauseef running us thru the details of the variants and also clarifying all the doubts we had. We were very impressed with this guy. After some brainstorming, my Uncle finalized on the Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited Variant in Blue Color. The sales rep promised us a delivery on or before 15-Feb. He said the best case, he maybe able to delivery in 10 days and the worst case would be 15-Feb. They had the Red color readily available but Blue was the preferred by my Uncle and his sons.

The Booking form was filled and everything was smooth up until now. My Uncle had brought cash for the 50K in 2K Notes. The lady at the cashier came back after a while and said some of the notes have a scribble on it and hence they cannot accept it. We told them there is a RBI Circular to this effect and Banks cannot reject scribbled notes anymore. I showed the circular on my Mobile phone as well but they did not budge. Then we offered to pay using a Credit Card and for that she said they would charge 2% Extra

C'mon we gave two choices, cash and card and they created an obstacle for both. Luckily Tauseef who had the most presence of mind, went in and erased the scribbling which was only in pencil and came back and updated that all except one note was accepted. We swapped the one remaining note and the Booking was completed. Whew!!! Anyways, its done - my Uncle booked the Jeep Compass...And a special call out to Tauseef for his quick thinking!

Maybe KHT Prime, Yeshwantpur has more work to do, if the test drive had happened, we possibly would never have visited Domlur. In any case, not sure how it matters in the end as they do have a monopoly in Bangalore...

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_153630_hdr.jpg
The Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20180127_162722_hdr.jpg
Jeep Pouch for the Manual etc.

Queries
I do have some queries now.

1.] We told them that we would get the Insurance done from outside and they obliged. We were also provided with an additional Mopar Insurance option for a lower cost as well. Looking forward to any advice on this topic. HDFC Ergo on Coverfox looks better but not sure of their tie up with Jeep Workshops. Tata AIG does not even list Jeep Compass yet on their online portal

2.] Since the 4x2 Limited does not come with the Bi Xenons, they offered to change the bulbs with a different more powerful one for 11K. Has anyone checked what these are? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

3.] As the delivery date is not very far, any other guidelines to follow also are most welcome!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th January 2018 at 12:21.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 13:37   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
If you are on the lookout for an automatic (as I was), then the Compass is absolutely fine.

I get 9-10 kmpl in daily Delhi traffic, and got a little over 12 on the Yamuna Expressway to Agra.

Sudden acceleration does confuse the gearbox sometimes, and there may be a couple seconds delay before it figures out the right gear. But that hasn't happened that often either.
Thanks for the reply,good to know the mileage from a petrol AT owner

Kolkata traffic will be same,if not better,than Delhi traffic.So hopefully would be getting atleast 8 or above which is decent.

Normally dual clutch automatics have caused a problem in India especially for Skoda and VW.Any idea about the long term reliability for this gearbox?Will the clutch get too heated in bumper to bumper traffic?

Am curious since this is almost at the top end of my budget and would be better off with a diesel manual if there are any gearbox issues.
Old 29th January 2018, 06:24   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Normally dual clutch automatics have caused a problem in India especially for Skoda and VW.Any idea about the long term reliability for this gearbox?Will the clutch get too heated in bumper to bumper traffic?
I'm not really sure about the reliability aspect. In about 2000 km during the past month or so, I've never experienced any smell of burning clutch.

Though it appears that some Diesel manual owners have had clutch burnt out and replaced by Jeep. Possibly due to poor driving style of riding the clutch...? Though I have never driven the diesel edition so should not really comment.

In bumper to bumper traffic, the AT crawls without any throttle input. I try to move forward when there is enough space to do so without keeping any pressure on the brake.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 29th January 2018 at 06:25. Reason: Spelling correction
Fusion2006 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 08:32   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Tauseef was the Sales Rep who greeted us.
This sounds like the same guy I dealt with 6 years ago at a KHT TATA Fiat dealer, except that he lied and annoyed me no ends that I canceled my booking with this dealer. Looks like he has learnt from his mistakes over the years. Good for him.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 12:36   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I'm not really sure about the reliability aspect. In about 2000 km during the past month or so, I've never experienced any smell of burning clutch.

Though it appears that some Diesel manual owners have had clutch burnt out and replaced by Jeep. Possibly due to poor driving style of riding the clutch...? Though I have never driven the diesel edition so should not really comment.

In bumper to bumper traffic, the AT crawls without any throttle input. I try to move forward when there is enough space to do so without keeping any pressure on the brake.
I have now made up my mind to book the Blue Compass Limited Petrol Automatic

Will make the advance later this week.Current waiting period seems to be around 45-50 days.

With the bumper to bumper traffic,convenience is the key for me.The emotional appeal of the Compass is very strong.
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 14:35   #810
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I do have some queries now.

1.] We told them that we would get the Insurance done from outside and they obliged. We were also provided with an additional Mopar Insurance option for a lower cost as well. Looking forward to any advice on this topic. HDFC Ergo on Coverfox looks better but not sure of their tie up with Jeep Workshops. Tata AIG does not even list Jeep Compass yet on their online portal
I got my own insurance. See which provider can give you a hassle free and cashless option for claims at your service center and decide accordingly. If the MOPAR policy matches the quote that you get elsewhere then I would suggest to go with the Mopar.

Quote:
2.] Since the 4x2 Limited does not come with the Bi Xenons, they offered to change the bulbs with a different more powerful one for 11K. Has anyone checked what these are? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
What bulbs are those? If they are LED's you can get the bulb yourself at a much lesser price and get them installed. Go for them at the dealer if they are HID's.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks