Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 10:18   #781
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Compass has DST (Dynamic steering torque) assist which pulls the steering in the direction in which it should be pulled to aid stability. This could be what you felt in this situation. For a person experiencing it first time it feels as if the car is oversteering but this is a corrective technology assist which helps maintain control in fast turns.
Thanks, Behemoth. That does make sense. I work with a technology magazine named, EFY, and I'm starting to think it will be exciting to do a review of the tech inside these vehicles from an engineer's perspective.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:53   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Thanks, Behemoth. That does make sense. I work with a technology magazine named, EFY, and I'm starting to think it will be exciting to do a review of the tech inside these vehicles from an engineer's perspective.
Heres a list of some technologies used in the Compass (some though not available on the India Compass though)
http://jeep.mopar.eu/jeep/za/en/assistance/glossary
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:58   #783
BHPian

Could not help myself, seeing these together.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeepvsjeep.jpg  

asingh1977 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:04   #784
BHPian

Recently, while driving my Jeep Compass on the Gurgaon highway, I noticed that my steering was slightly tilted (5-10 degrees) towards the right while moving in a straight line. I tested it for a couple of days before being convinced that there is an issue. It's probably a wheel alignment problem. Though I hadn't noticed this issue earlier (or it didn't catch my attention, maybe? ). Any fellow Jeep owners facing this issue?

Another thing I noticed was that when using the Auto mode in the AC, it turns off the Air recirculation and AC buttons (though it still blows cold air). Isn't that abnormal?
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:09   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Thanks Arjun.

Has anyone in Team-BHP bought the Jeep Petrol AT?I know the engine is not anywhere near the diesel but it is convenient.Only whether the mileage in city would be near 5kmpl.Am ok with anything above 7 kmpl.
I commute daily between Delhi/Gurgaon and get around 9.8 - 10 kmpl.

Initially it was around 8.5 - 9 kmpl, but has gone up since then...odometer currently at around 2000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vats View Post
Another thing I noticed was that when using the Auto mode in the AC, it turns off the Air recirculation and AC buttons (though it still blows cold air). Isn't that abnormal?
Apparently this is the intended behaviour. In fact, in some situations, it won't even let you turn on the Recirculation mode, e.g, if it is very cold outside and might lead to internal glass fogging. It's actually a bit of a pain because I prefer to have Recirculation on always to avoid pollution and smells - even though in this mode it doesn't actually do a very good job of keeping outside air out and smells still find their way in.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 23rd January 2018 at 08:13. Reason: Added another quoted reply
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:58   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Apparently this is the intended behaviour. In fact, in some situations, it won't even let you turn on the Recirculation mode, e.g, if it is very cold outside and might lead to internal glass fogging. It's actually a bit of a pain because I prefer to have Recirculation on always to avoid pollution and smells - even though in this mode it doesn't actually do a very good job of keeping outside air out and smells still find their way in.
I have noticed the air leak in the cabin too. I took my car to Landmark but they weren't able to identify its exact cause and obviously could't fix it.
S.Vats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 13:38   #787
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that my steering was slightly tilted (5-10 degrees) towards the right while moving in a straight line. It's probably a wheel alignment problem. Though I hadn't noticed this issue earlier (or it didn't catch my attention, maybe? ). Any fellow Jeep owners facing this issue?
That's because the steering was not properly centered during alignment. I had similar behavior and got it corrected in the 5k service. But you need not wait till that mark if its bothering you and can get it corrected at the service center.

Quote:
That is expected behavior. But you can always toggle the re-circulation when in auto mode which would mean that every other setting apart from re-circulation will be on auto mode.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:29   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
That's because the steering was not properly centered during alignment. I had similar behavior and got it corrected in the 5k service. But you need not wait till that mark if its bothering you and can get it corrected at the service center.
I have to go for 5k service too in some days, will get it fixed then. Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:55   #789
h14
BHPian

I got the bulbs changed over the weekend. These are the upgraded halogen bulbs which FCA is offering.

Cost for 2 bulbs Rs. 498
Labour for replacement Rs. 566

Haven't got a chance to test them in the usual highways. So will reserve my feedback for another week till I hit the highway.

But I did drive on two-laned SH & MDR's and felt these where definitely better than the oem's. The high beam on these roads felt much better while the low beam i felt to be marginally better.

I can certainly say on such roads there is an improvement. Wonder how these would fare on my usual NH routes which is the critical requirement.

Meanwhile I have clocked 8434 kms as of today. Averaging around 100kms per day and every kilometer has been joyful!

Last edited by h14 : 23rd January 2018 at 19:57.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 07:54   #790
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed the air leak in the cabin too. I took my car to Landmark but they weren't able to identify its exact cause and obviously could't fix it.
I wonder if this is supposed to be like this, in which case it seems to be a design flaw.

Or are we just the unlucky ones who got 'leaky' cars . Leaking boats I've heard of, but this is new!
Old 24th January 2018, 09:22   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Cost for 2 bulbs Rs. 498
Labour for replacement Rs. 566

Labour for changing bulbs : Rs. 566!!. More expensive than the bulbs. Is it very difficult / require lot of labour to change bulbs in Compass?
Old 24th January 2018, 10:33   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Labour for changing bulbs : Rs. 566!!. More expensive than the bulbs. Is it very difficult / require lot of labour to change bulbs in Compass?
Yes it is quite difficult and access to the bulbs is only after opening the wheel liners on each side. I have done it twice though myself! I am still looking for better led bulbs and have ordered one side xhp70 bulbs from aliexpress. Once they come in I am planning to do the change a third time!
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 13:03   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I wonder if this is supposed to be like this, in which case it seems to be a design flaw.

Or are we just the unlucky ones who got 'leaky' cars . Leaking boats I've heard of, but this is new!
It is a design flaw. My uncle bought the same car and he's facing the same issue.
Old 24th January 2018, 13:54   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes it is quite difficult and access to the bulbs is only after opening the wheel liners on each side. I have done it twice though myself! I am still looking for better led bulbs and have ordered one side xhp70 bulbs from aliexpress. Once they come in I am planning to do the change a third time!
Which LEDs do you suggest, Behemoth? The halogens seem less than sufficient, especially on highways.
Old 24th January 2018, 14:16   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which LEDs do you suggest, Behemoth? The halogens seem less than sufficient, especially on highways.
The Morimoto 2 stroke LEDs look most promising but they are large and would probably need cutting of the headlight dust covers. They are supposed to deliver 5000 lumens against the 1600 lumens of the stock halogens. But on the beam spread only an actual installation can prove whether it is good. There is a Morimoto distributor in Delhi who can probably offer the same. Otherwise HID is the only other option and Morimoto is also quite good in that.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks