Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 12:56   #676
BHPian

Am I wrong in assuming that you are new to diesel engines going by the way it has piqued your curiosity about the engine clatter? I can present a scenario. There are three diesel cars we own, 2008 or about vintage. A Skoda Octavia L&k, Toyota Innova, and a Fiat Palio Stile. The last one has the least mileage, approximately 2.1 lakhs. All the cars always made noticeable racket when we brought home new and they still do when we start them in the morning. After the initial warm up, all settle into acceptable noise level. What I am trying to drive home is that all these diesel engines have one thing in common. Diesel. Now, Jeep indeed has the DNA of Fiat. You need to learn to live with it. You'll eventually do.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:04   #677
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Am I wrong in assuming that you are new to diesel engines going by the way it has piqued your curiosity about the engine clatter? I can present a scenario. There are three diesel cars we own, 2008 or about vintage. A Skoda Octavia L&k, Toyota Innova, and a Fiat Palio Stile. The last one has the least mileage, approximately 2.1 lakhs. All the cars always made noticeable racket when we brought home new and they still do when we start them in the morning. After the initial warm up, all settle into acceptable noise level. What I am trying to drive home is that all these diesel engines have one thing in common. Diesel. Now, Jeep indeed has the DNA of Fiat. You need to learn to live with it. You'll eventually do.
I am used to driving diesel engines, had a Cruze for about 6 years , before I bought the Compass. And still regularly drive a Jetta TDI which has done more than 80,000 kms. Both these cars did not have such an audible engine noise, even when started in the mornings. Such a noticeable difference in engine noise, was there only in the Swift Diesel which also had the Fiat Multijet engine & the previous generation Figo. I am already used to the engine clatter which is there in the Compass & will happily live with it

My curiosity was in the way, the sound subsides in the Compass, if you switch the engine off and switch it on again, after about 10 minutes of driving it in the morning. If you don't do this exercise of switching it off and turning it back on, the sound will probably be there for half n hour or so.
Vishnuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 18:14   #678

Hey guys,
Did any one of you have any significant turbo lag associated with the initial clatter, which faded-into-oblivion after the initial 20 to 30 minutes of drive? Just to know. We are still at sea regarding the issue we faced with our Compass as the Jeep showroom at Kochi has washed-their-hands-off the issue stating it to be seen in most Jeep Compass 4x4s.
Now we are planning to escalate the issue and do a Dyno testing.
Well, it was a ridiculous affair(their claim that all 4x4s have such an issue) to start with. We went to the showroom on their call last Saturday and they, in full conviction, tossed over the key to a 4x4 Test-drive-Compass in it's cold condition for us to drive and experience it ourselves. We, along with their expert, took a spin and in that particular vehicle but alas as we expected, there no irritating-turbo lag, just the normal drive that we were so used to. The expert accompanying then had his mouth-taped; he later promised us that he will do his part on informing the authorities regarding this issue and directed us to do the same, from our part, to give the issue a push.
will keep you guys posted.
cheers.
Old 4th December 2017, 19:49   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDcamero View Post
Hey guys,
Did any one of you have any significant turbo lag associated with the initial clatter, which faded-into-oblivion after the initial 20 to 30 minutes of drive? Just to know.
In my 4x2 Compass the noise reduces after around 15 min of driving (in the cold weather of Delhi). The turbo lag is prominent till around 1500 rpm after which it is not too bad. You need to work the gears to stay in the 1500-2500 band.
My Compass has done around 3500 kms so far and the engine would settle in well after 10000 kms which is normal for diesel engines of this size.

However compared to my 110 bhp Laura the Compass feels slower as there is much less kick.

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th December 2017 at 19:55.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 09:33   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDcamero View Post
Hey guys,
Did any one of you have any significant turbo lag associated with the initial clatter, which faded-into-oblivion after the initial 20 to 30 minutes of drive? Just to know. We are still at sea regarding the issue we faced with our Compass as the Jeep showroom at Kochi has washed-their-hands-off the issue stating it to be seen in most Jeep Compass 4x4s.
Now we are planning to escalate the issue and do a Dyno testing.
Well, it was a ridiculous affair(their claim that all 4x4s have such an issue) to start with. We went to the showroom on their call last Saturday and they, in full conviction, tossed over the key to a 4x4 Test-drive-Compass in it's cold condition for us to drive and experience it ourselves. We, along with their expert, took a spin and in that particular vehicle but alas as we expected, there no irritating-turbo lag, just the normal drive that we were so used to. The expert accompanying then had his mouth-taped; he later promised us that he will do his part on informing the authorities regarding this issue and directed us to do the same, from our part, to give the issue a push.
will keep you guys posted.
cheers.
In my compass 4x2, there is just the clatter when the engine is cold, it has no effect on the turbo.
Coming from driving a Cruze which had a significant turbo lag, I don't even feel that there is a turbo lag in the Compass. But yes it misses out on the " pushed back in the seat effect" which used to be there in the Cruze when the turbo kicked in.
Vishnuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 18:35   #681
BHPian

How many airbags does the Limited(O) 1.4 Petrol AT have?

I ask this since this is the highest variant in both petrol and AT(diesel doesnt have) and so I expect this to have 6 airbags

The OTR in Kolkata is around 22L.
Old 6th December 2017, 18:44   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
How many airbags does the Limited(O) 1.4 Petrol AT have?

I ask this since this is the highest variant in both petrol and AT(diesel doesnt have) and so I expect this to have 6 airbags

The OTR in Kolkata is around 22L.
Nope it has 2 only. Only the Diesel LTD (O) 4x4 variant gets 6 airbags - rest all get two airbags.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:45   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Nope it has 2 only. Only the Diesel LTD (O) 4x4 variant gets 6 airbags - rest all get two airbags.
Even the limited 4x4 gets 6 airbags. It seems Jeep is giving six airbags only to the 4x4 variant.i feel they should've given it also for the 4x2 top variant also
Old 7th December 2017, 10:12   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
Even the limited 4x4 gets 6 airbags. It seems Jeep is giving six airbags only to the 4x4 variant.i feel they should've given it also for the 4x2 top variant also
Thanks for the clarification. Yes even I feel that they should have offered it in the 4x2 Ltd also. That is the version I have. In fact I had booked the LTD O 4x4 initially but later diluted my booking to Ltd 4x2 to get my car before the Gst cess hike ( more details on my ownership thread if you are interested!)
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 10:19   #685
BHPian

I recently test drove the Compass 1.4 AT Petrol and I wasn't very thrilled with the performance of the car. DCT gearbox almost always got confused when I mashed the throttle and I believe this car is for someone who is never in a hurry. Or maybe my expectations were way too high based on my remapped Linea Tjet's experience.

Apart from the engine performance, other things such as ride and handling are pretty good. I didn't like the almost Linea like narrow cabin though and it didn't feel like a 22 lakh car when sitting so close to the front passenger. I am not sure if someone must spend double the money of a Linea for the SUV stance and AT convenience.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 7th December 2017 at 10:22.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:41   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I I didn't like the almost Linea like narrow cabin though and it didn't feel like a 22 lakh car when sitting so close to the front passenger.
Interior space is one of the factors. But we need to see the cars driving mechanism and engineering. Similarly we'll engineered cars like Tig using, q3 and x1 cost even more. That is what make Jeep a better VFM. My previous drives were Audi Q3 and A6. Jeep does hold its fort along with Q3 and is almost half the price. And the novelty factor will be there for atleast a year. Just my thoughts.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:09   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Interior space is one of the factors. But we need to see the cars driving mechanism and engineering. Similarly we'll engineered cars like Tig using, q3 and x1 cost even more. That is what make Jeep a better VFM. My previous drives were Audi Q3 and A6. Jeep does hold its fort along with Q3 and is almost half the price. And the novelty factor will be there for atleast a year. Just my thoughts.
but almost all the other cars in the 20+ lakh segment seems to be wider which highly adds to the premium factor. While I agree that Compass Diesel MT with its responsive engine and good build is a VFM alternative to other premium entry level SUVs, its petrol version is quite a let down IMHO. Also, the Jeep SA told me that the Jeep Diesel AT will cost around 27-28 lakhs on road and I think its cost advantage would also be lost at this pricing if it becomes true. It looks like Compass's target market is MT customers.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 7th December 2017 at 11:11.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:12   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I recently test drove the Compass 1.4 AT Petrol and I wasn't very thrilled with the performance of the car. DCT gearbox almost always got confused when I mashed the throttle and I believe this car is for someone who is never in a hurry. Or maybe my expectations were way too high based on my remapped Linea Tjet's experience.

Apart from the engine performance, other things such as ride and handling are pretty good. I didn't like the almost Linea like narrow cabin though and it didn't feel like a 22 lakh car when sitting so close to the front passenger. I am not sure if someone must spend double the money of a Linea for the SUV stance and AT convenience.
I agree with you on the performance part of the petrol engine, you can't compare it's performance with the Tjet. The diesel variant of the Compass, fares much better than the petrol one, in terms of performance.
In my opinion, if any one is looking for an AT option, its better to wait for the Diesel AT version, which is expected to be launched some time next year. I just hope that they launch the AT version, with the current 2.0 Diesel engine & not with a 1.6 engine.
Old 8th December 2017, 14:27   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Yes even I feel that they should have offered it in the 4x2 Ltd also. That is the version I have. In fact I had booked the LTD O 4x4 initially but later diluted my booking to Ltd 4x2 to get my car before the Gst cess hike ( more details on my ownership thread if you are interested!)
Thanks. I've gone through your thread. Mine is a limited 4x4 and I couldn't beat the GST price hike since I insisted on a 4x4.
Had to shell out two lakhs extra since after the price hike it went into the next bracket for road tax. No regrets though
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 15:06   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
Thanks. I've gone through your thread. Mine is a limited 4x4 and I couldn't beat the GST price hike since I insisted on a 4x4.
Had to shell out two lakhs extra since after the price hike it went into the next bracket for road tax. No regrets though
Thanks, will be great if you could also start an ownership thread too. I am sure there must be at least 10 Compass owners by now on the forum - still waiting for other ownership threads. Have you upgraded your headlights to HID / LED and how is your experience with them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks