Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 23:06   #526
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

So, considering the OTR price difference, what would be your choice ?
Old 24th October 2017, 08:29   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
When I was offered a test drive at Hyson Thrissur, the rep had told me about this. He also claimed that they did an experiment where they (reps at Hyson) went from 1st to 6th without using the accelerator. I tried it from 1-3 but didn’t go further.
Thats a feature of any common rail engine. Even my safari 2.2 used to climb slopes without accelerator and gear change from 1st to 5th. She used to mantain 50kmph in 5th with no accelerator input, on a flyover. This is not some great feature of a compass.
Old 24th October 2017, 09:18   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
So, considering the OTR price difference, what would be your choice ?
Classic battle between heart and mind . Going with the heart will cost 15L more.
Still debating, what do you say RedRaider?
Old 24th October 2017, 09:32   #529
BHPian

If it is for snob value, the BMW X1, otherwise the Compass. Although the long term ownership cost for the Compass is not clear yet, it will probably be more for the BMW.

What are the service intervals of the X1 as against the Compass ?

Also, the Compass has got 5 star safety ratings and exuberant reviews. This should help in the longevity of the model along with good sales. Expect a steady increase in the number of Compasses on the road.

Last edited by RedRaider : 24th October 2017 at 09:38.
RedRaider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:37   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post
Classic battle between heart and mind . Going with the heart will cost 15L more.
Still debating, what do you say RedRaider?
If you need Brand value too and are ready to pay the premium of 15L you should go for the X1, but if you want a car 90% of the X1 without the brand, go for the Compass. It is fun to drive and will not disappoint you. I also considered the X1 during my buying decision cycle but because we take our car to all sorts of crowded and chaotic cities I decided for the Compass as with the X1 we would be a lot more worried about the car and would not be able to enjoy driving it as much!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:40   #531
BHPian

Quote:
If it is for snob value, the BMW X1, otherwise the Compass. Although the long term ownership cost for the Compass is not clear yet, it will probably be more for the BMW.
Yes, its a new vehicle and therefore long term ownership experience does not have any precedence. It looks good for now, though future is always uncertain.
More than the cost, it is the experience of ownership that counts e.g. on my Etios, although I did not like it for many reasons, I also did not worry about its running for the 6 years I had it. Will I buy it again, no. Will I buy an Altis, no

What are the service intervals of the X1 as against the Compass ?
Compass 15k kms
X1 , also 15k kms

I agree that the overall ownership cost of a beemer will be much higher, that is what the debate is all about, after all its a childhood dream getting fulfilled during mid life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you need Brand value too and are ready to pay the premium of 15L you should go for the X1, but if you want a car 90% of the X1 without the brand, go for the Compass. It is fun to drive and will not disappoint you. I also considered the X1 during my buying decision cycle but because we take our car to all sorts of crowded and chaotic cities I decided for the Compass as with the X1 we would be a lot more worried about the car and would not be able to enjoy driving it as much!
Yes, you have a point there. I will mostly drive in NCR with occasional trips to the hills. I like when you say a car that is 90% X1 , without the badge yet very desireable.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2017 at 12:48.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:30   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
There you go. Don't worry they are a perfect fit
Very Neat Fit - By the way what is the cost for a set?
Old 24th October 2017, 12:09   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post
Had the chance of TD'ing BMW X1 and Jeep Compass on the same day. And this was done for a reason, to experience the similarities/differences.
Even I considered the X1 couple of years back but after seeing the maintenance and parts cost of my friends 5 Series I dropped the idea. Couple of days back I happened to speak to a neighbor who owns a X3, he was completely disappointed with the vehicle primarily as he uses it to access remote areas (he is into road / bridge construction) and BMW has not even provided a spare tyre claiming that the run flat tyres run up a 1000 Kms. despite a flat but he was unfortunate enough to have a tear on the sidewall and was struck for 2 days till he got a new tyre from Mumbai. Additionally he lost the X3 badge on the side which is being sourced from Germany as A.S.S. do not stock spares.

As far as I am concerned, I am sold on the Compass (as the Wrangler is un-affordable) and having driven it in South America, I am familiar with its capabilities. The only thing holding me is the non availability of a dealership close to me in Navi Mumbai.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 13:18   #534
BHPian

For a 15000 kms. service interval and approx. 30 to 35 kms. drive depending on where you live in Navi Mumbai, isn't Landmark Jeep at Worli close enough ? You can always shift your servicing needs if and when a dealer comes up in Navi Mumbai.

Waiting for a dealer to start operations is depriving yourself of a fabulous SUV.
RedRaider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 14:31   #535

Here's a post from the FB group with a proper-ish review of the Petrol AT. All credit to the wonderful and active Mr Laban Das

The good, bad and ugly of the Jeep Compass (Petrol Automatic). #honestreview

The last time I tested a Jeep Compass (Manual) in July, I didn’t bother with the notes on the driving, it was more of a 'look and feel' drive (also I was not interested in Manual). I remember telling myself that I hope the Automatic is ‘effortless’ [there was a post on the group earlier on how the manual has issues with the clutch]. Thankfully, earlier this week I was not disappointed.

A few points which are the same from the last drive:
1. The 17’’ inch wheels remain the same, no 19’’ inch wheels (Hexa XTA is 19”);
2. No cruise control;
3. No sun-roof (low chances of the Diesel Automatic getting one too);
4. No auto windscreen wiper, head lamps, ambient lighting (Hexa XTA has a color choice of 7);
5. Non auto-adjustable seats (the drivers seat is not the greatest)

Stance: First look, the Jeep Compass sits magnificently on the road with it all its shapely arches and lochness monsters in tact (don’t forget the lizard on the front bonnet) as well. The stance is aggressive and a heard turner for sure. The DRL looks elegant and to the point. The famed 7 slot grille reminds you of the Jeep DNA. Would a 19’’ wheel base helped? Well yes, the car could have performed better on pot holes, rough roads if that was the case. The cabin does get some jerks and the car would score low in the water beaker test. Please note that the lighter petrol model may also be a reason.

Getting into Car and Positioning: The height is right for me (6ft), shorter people may consider adding a foot board to step in. However, the front seat was a let down. The ski-grey leather upholstery apart, the lack of auto adjustable seats and lack of lumbar support is a big let down. A memory function in the seat is a life saver. I had issues adjusting the seat and felt the under thigh support could have been better. It may have been because I hurriedly took the test drive without getting the positioning perfect. Its more of a prayer now that this aspect is sorted when I take possession of my vehicle.

Automatic Transmission: The transmission is simple and efficient. The gear knob, a simple yet handy piece, does its job well. The lack of a logo or the DCT symbol does take away from the glamour. Standard P,R,N, D with an option to manually shift in the D Mode is available. The gear shifts easily in a fluidic motion and does not require much application of force. The engine revs up well on pressing hard on the accelerator and the engine supports the boost demanded of it, albeit with a slight lag. Yes, there is a slight lag in the auto gear shifts but the power generated by the engine more then suffices. I clocked 170-180kmph on the sea-link with lane changes and the car remained assured. Do not expect a Ford Endeavour’ esque performance and you will not be disappointed. As an urban driver, it ticked all of my boxes. There are rave reviews in the media of its fuel efficiency so it more than covers up for any lag and/or lack in power.

Peripherals: The reverse parking gear with the camera is useful. Though I didn’t try the Apple Carplay, I do remember the music blaring out from the radio channels to be distinct and crisp, so no adverse comments there. There is soft plastic paneling in the front row which gives it a premium feel. The rear row is not so fortunate.

At the price range at which it is being released, as an urban driver I could have asked for a bit more but I am happy with what I have. This will break retail barriers for Jeep in India, it truly is the "car that was promised" by Jeep to India."

Fingers crossed- Everything pointing in the right direction, then
psychogogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:36   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogogo View Post
Automatic Transmission: The transmission is simple and efficient. The gear knob, a simple yet handy piece, does its job well. The lack of a logo or the DCT symbol does take away from the glamour. Standard P,R,N, D with an option to manually shift in the D Mode is available. The gear shifts easily in a fluidic motion and does not require much application of force. The engine revs up well on pressing hard on the accelerator and the engine supports the boost demanded of it, albeit with a slight lag. Yes, there is a slight lag in the auto gear shifts but the power generated by the engine more then suffices. I clocked 170-180kmph on the sea-link with lane changes and the car remained assured. Do not expect a Ford Endeavour’ esque performance and you will not be disappointed. As an urban driver, it ticked all of my boxes. There are rave reviews in the media of its fuel efficiency so it more than covers up for any lag and/or lack in power.
Except this paragraph, everything in the above review is useless. And I would have been happier reading more on how the engine delivers on the power front. But then there is only so much you can expect from independent reviews.

Mods, is there a Compass Petrol (AT) review planned?
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 15:42   #537
Senior - BHPian

New black edition launched in Brazil. Only cosmetic changes though.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1_578_872_0_100_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20171025024235_jeepcompassnighteagle.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1_578_872_0_100_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20171025024238_jeepcompassnighteagle-1.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new..._medium=Social

Last edited by nitinralli : 25th October 2017 at 15:45.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 16:13   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for a dealer to start operations is depriving yourself of a fabulous SUV.
I agree with you, will give it another month before I plunge in
Old 25th October 2017, 18:19   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

India-made Jeep Compass sets sail to right-hand-drive markets.

Quote:
the company shipped its very first batch of 600 units of the Jeep Compass from the Bombay Port Trust facility to Australia and Japan. The Ranjangaon-produced SUV with over 65 percent local content will go to other international markets through the ongoing quarter of 2017. These could include the UK, New Zealand, and South Africa.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-firstbatchofthejeepcompassatbombayporttrustreadytobeshippedtojapanandaustralia2699x380.jpg
Jeep Compass : Official Review-firstbatchofthejeepcompassatbombayporttrustreadytobeshippedtojapanandaustralia1699x380.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:38   #540
BHPian

Omkar mentions about a 'Torque Steer' in his review. Can this be mistaken for 'Oversteer' that I experienced on the Petrol auto TD?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks