Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 10:41   #376
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

With a difference of only 68k between the Petrol and diesel, doesn't it make sense to wait for the diesel AT even if the running is low. For 68k extra, you get a much powerful engine and with a better mileage. Even if one's running is low, better mileage didn't hurt anyone.
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 10:56   #377
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
With a difference of only 68k between the Petrol and diesel, doesn't it make sense to wait for the diesel AT even if the running is low. For 68k extra, you get a much powerful engine and with a better mileage. Even if one's running is low, better mileage didn't hurt anyone.

The diesel AT will be at least a lakh more than the current diesel variant to variant. However even at that cost I would recommend that you wait for the diesel auto. The 2.L engine and the 9 speed ZF gearbox will be a better combination.

I am expecting Jeep to launch the auto box in various trims, starting with the longitude. There may just be an automatic diesel at every price point.

The fuel efficiency should be on par with the manual, 4 overdrive gear ratios will make a big difference to highway mileage.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 26th September 2017 at 11:06.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:15   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogogo View Post
Now I've done my basic Google searches and thread reading here as well to figure that for my driving distances (<1000k/month), the petrol should be just fine and economical. I'd expect to own this vehicle for atleast 4-5 years.
Mathematical calculations and your daily commute distance clearly suggests Petrol AT is the one for you but I will bring in another perspective, which you may want to consider before deciding.

Is Compass a vehicle which will safely take you from point A to B or is it something more? Well T-BHP and other reviews suggests it indeed is much more. In layman's language very engaging to drive, brings a big smile every time you get behind the wheel, solid build, feels powerful yet safe, gives a sense of security. The point I am trying to make is that there is a good chance of your monthly usage to increase.
Few of us here are not born auto enthusiasts, some like me are converts after getting hold of a good driving machine.
Personally my usage has almost doubled after I acquired my current drive.

Last edited by S.MJet : 26th September 2017 at 11:45.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:19   #379
BHPian

Is the diesel AT even in the pipeline? The local dealer here was clear that there would not be a Diesel AT. Only Petrol AT.
Old 26th September 2017, 11:32   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Most of us here are not born auto enthusiasts,
You are wrong buddy, and I take offense in that.

Including myself, I think most of us here are born car enthusiasts

My family always tells me that when I was very young, anywhere we go I'm always adamant to get Jeep scale models or a Sports car scale models, and I still have them all.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:44   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
You are wrong buddy, and I take offense in that.

Including myself, I think most of us here are born car enthusiasts

My family always tells me that when I was very young, anywhere we go I'm always adamant to get Jeep scale models or a Sports car scale models, and I still have them all.
I didn't mean it that way. What I was trying to convey to psychogogo that one need not be a auto enthusiast to love to drive, some get converted in due course.
Apologies for not choosing the right words.

Edit: Have re-worded my original post.

Last edited by S.MJet : 26th September 2017 at 11:48.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:57   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The diesel AT will be at least a lakh more than the current diesel variant to variant. However even at that cost I would recommend that you wait for the diesel auto. The 2.L engine and the 9 speed ZF gearbox will be a better combination.

I am expecting Jeep to launch the auto box in various trims, starting with the longitude. There may just be an automatic diesel at every price point.

The fuel efficiency should be on par with the manual, 4 overdrive gear ratios will make a big difference to highway mileage.
Diesel AT will be exactly 68k more expensive, as that's the price difference between manual Petrol and Diesel Sport variants. I don't see any logic in Jeep increasing the price difference of Petrol and Diesel for automatic variant, unless the ZF transmission is more expensive than the DDCT being used for Perol AT. As per my calculations, they have priced DDCT at a 1.15L premium over the manual (if they had a manual petrol limited variant). So I doubt they will price ZF transmission any more than that.

Last edited by reddevilgautam : 26th September 2017 at 12:00.
Old 26th September 2017, 12:22   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Diesel AT will be exactly 68k more expensive, as that's the price difference between manual Petrol and Diesel Sport variants.
FCA should seriously consider taking the launch of the diesel AT as an opportunity to introduce features that the Compass ought to have been equipped with right from the start. With the addition of a panoramic sunroof and an AT diesel, amongst other goodies, there should be no reason why anyone would have to spend 45 lakhs on entry level premium SUVs.

Therefore, a diesel AT Compass with sunroof et al, at a 30 lakh on road price tag, would give the entry level premium SUVs from 'the big three' a serious run for their money.

However, as with most struggling brands, the strategy is always to hold back some goodies and release them periodically in order to keep the interest in the product alive.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th September 2017 at 12:23.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 14:23   #384

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Mathematical calculations and your daily commute distance clearly suggests Petrol AT is the one for you but I will bring in another perspective, which you may want to consider before deciding.
Thanks for all the responses till now, my brethren (and sistren?) So the thing is, I don't really want to wait indefinitely for the Diesel AT: the guys at Landmark Worli (Mumbai) said that chances are it'll be announced Feb/Mar 2018 and then another 2-3 months for deliveries atleast- and this was also conjecture. If it was only about patience, I may have thought differently but my current car is on the edge of martyrdom and I don't want to take a chance. Also, having already paid the booking amount, I am pretty sure they won't hold my booking for an indefinite future car launch. To be honest, I'm not even sure if they'll shift my 2.0 Diesel MT to the 1.4 Petrol AT but that's a battle that should be easy enough to win (I was told I should be able to change my mind on the variants/ colors till the car allotment happens- which is unlikely till 2nd week of October)

S.MJet- your point is very well taken. Who knows what the future holds. But my past history suggests I'm a creature of habit and generally, it's been a good indicator of what my future behavior will be (unlike investing returns). Perhaps I will drive longer distances in this much bigger, better, advanced car. But will a Petrol 1.4 AT not be a good choice for such a transitory (albeit potential) evolution? FE seems to be an important criteria for most people (and it is for me too) but beyond a cursory random calculation every now and then, I haven't really ever bothered about it on my i20 ever. I doubt if I get any more than 10-11k/L currently.

So the larger majority (if I didn't count those who've advised me to be more patient and wait for th Diesel AT) seems to be in favor of the Petrol AT (for my driving requirements).

The proverbial struggle, just got very real.
psychogogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 14:25   #385
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass spotted on test runs with a 1.6D engine.

Source --> This makes perfect sense since this engine was already being manufactured in India. And since MSIL has discontinued it, they should have ready capacity to use. A lower engine variant with all the bells and whistles will take the fight to Creta.

Quote:
The compact premium SUV has racked up over 10,000 bookings since launch. Most of the bookings registered are for the 2.0 liter diesel engine. Now, a new 1.6 liter MultiJet engine variant has been spotted. This could mean that Jeep India could go even more aggressive and launch an even more affordable Jeep Compass diesel variant in the near future.

The new Jeep Compass 1.6 MultiJet was sighted on test under camouflage but in an Exotica Red exterior color scheme. The rear windshield bore the words “1.6 TD(120) -6MT-AWD LTD -UK-60K” which showed that the particular model was powered by a 1.6 liter Multijet diesel engine mated to a 6 speed manual transmission. There was also a prominent ‘Diesel’ badge on tailgate.
Quote:
This is the same engine which powers the Maruti S-Cross in India. It delivers 120 PS and 320 Nm torque. The engine is manufactured at the same Fiat plant in Pune where the Compass is being manufactured. If Jeep India launches the more affordable Compass diesel, expect even more bookings and sales numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeepcompass120psindia4.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 16:37   #386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass spotted on test runs with a 1.6D engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
This makes perfect sense since this engine was already being manufactured in India. And since MSIL has discontinued it, they should have ready capacity to use. A lower engine variant with all the bells and whistles will take the fight to Creta.
The Creta weighs around 250 odd Kgs less than the Compass.
Secondly, the 1.6 MJD has quite a bit of turbo lag.
If it used in similar form, in the already heavy Compass, it will be cumbersome to drive in city and have ordinary performance on the highway.
In 1.6 MJD form, the Compass will have 78PS/tonne, compared to 97PS/tonne for the Creta.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 26th September 2017 at 16:39.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:38   #387
BHPian

Uconnect seems to be all buggy! Have seen Android Auto reset at times, really irritating while I am navigating. Also the system hangs forever with a Jeep logo on screen , which needs a switch off/on of the vehicle. Voice recognition is pretty impressive, AC can be controlled by commands like "Decrease temperature" , dual zone with "Decrease passenger/driver temperature". Try it out

The car has run around 800km only, with few rides in the city outskirts.
Positives: Pretty impressive highway vehicle with awesome stopping power. Audio system with the "loudness" feature is good.
Negatives: Slow speed ride quality, still not as impressive as Terrano/Duster. Also my kid says that the rear windows are too small.
anil_neo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 19:25   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Coming to the AT, it appears to be in production already. Anyone had a chance to drive it?
I am waiting for it last time i checked with the dealer the Petrol vehicle was not available. I am not changing my current ride but want to experience the Multiair 1.4.
Old 26th September 2017, 20:24   #389
Senior - BHPian

So after spotting and posting pics of Compass without lower lip last Sunday, today i went with my wife for a test drive to the same showroom.

The moment i entered, i went to the same blue sport variant that didn't had lower lip and asked the sales rep why this one doesn't have while the Limited version on display had one. He said Sports versions doesn't have one (is it true?). I could clearly see that it was either a broken lip or was removed afterwards (attaching pic again)

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20170924191557.png

Anyways , i went for a test drive. It was a Limited 4*4. Now this is very strange thing i noticed. The test vehicle i drove looked off white, while the one on display looked pure white. Sales guy didn't noticed it, though i am sure they both looked different, even my wife said so (Today was Tuesday so cant say "Last night effects")

Anyways, went for a very short drive. I currently drive XUV from past 6 plus years so comparing it with her.
1. Gears are butter smooth and short. Infact i couldn't make out in which gear it was since XUV requires long throw and i got used to it.
2. Power is very linear unlike XUV which is ready to pounce the moment you touch accelerator. Due to this i didn't felt those 170 horses under the hood. I mean it was powerful but nothing exciting like XUV.
3. There was this point where i had to take a U turn. Normally in my XUV i would be in 2nd gear (since the car was in motion), however when i did it in Compass, it stalled. That too with a big jerk that even my wife got scared. Never felt that kind of jerk in XUV.
4. Cramped space no doubt. Felt like a hatchback (side effects of XUV i guess). Even the head room was less.
5. Driving position didn't felt like an SUV. Loved that steering wheel though.
6. Rear space as said before by everyone is strictly for 2 and a half person Though i must say, both me and wife did like the rear seats, especially the lumber support (those are BIG ones). Due to this i guess it looked cramped, even though there is no complain when it comes to leg room.
7. Went for little off road where even a swift would go easily and it scraped once, thanks to that lower lip. That lip has to be removed for sure if i buy it and rep said it can be done easily.

All in all, had a mixed reaction. I am confused what to do now. I thought atleast power wise it would be fun but that didn't happened. Guess i have to wait and see what 170 BHP XUV has in store for us, if not then Ford Endy it would be.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 09:43   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Even the fuel efficiency of the Creta Petrol AT is dismal (8-9 kmpl in city traffic).
The Creta has a regular older generation MPFI Petrol Engine. The 1.4 Multi Air is a Direct Injection Petrol engine and will definitely be more efficient than the Creta petrol. However, any petrol will give only about 10 kmpl in our Indian cities cause most of the time, one is burning fuel standing still.

Quote:
With a difference of only 68k between the Petrol and diesel,
I can suggest three reasons to get Petrol over Diesel if your running kilometers are within 15K to 20K per year.

Diesel engines are inherently more complex than petrol engines. Hence the long term maintenance cost and potential for repairs will be higher than petrol.

Secondly with Supreme Court & NGT dangling a sword over diesels it is only a matter of time before the Diesel ban gets extended to other metros and Tier II cities/towns and eventually nationally. The resale of diesel vehicles will eventually crater.

Thirdly it is a known accepted fact that Diesels pollute more than petrol engines and diesels are not encouraged or popular any most developed nations. So, if one doesn't need the diesel one must buy a petrol to do their little bit for the environment.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks