Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 13:44   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's a very limited increase over the launch prices. Probably the 1.4L engine helping to keep the CESS impact low for the petrol variants as compared to the diesel.
Yes, the ex-showroom price (Kerala) mentioned for the 1.4 4x2 and 4x2(O) were 18.74 and 19.44 lakhs respectively. That's just around 20K+ increase.
Old 20th September 2017, 13:55   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
Got my limited 4x4 today -hydroblue
Planning to get a black roof wrap done.
Any suggestions?
I'm actually curious as to why people decide to do this. I assume it is purely cosmetic, especially since we live in a tropical country with hot Summers.

When the Polo and the Brezza came with this options I thought no one in India would opt for this, but I was completely wrong.

Wouldn't the black roof make the car much hotter? Is this a trade off between looks of the car to outsiders vs the comfort inside the car?

No offence meant, I'm just trying to understand.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 14:12   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Wouldn't the black roof make the car much hotter? Is this a trade off between looks of the car to outsiders vs the comfort inside the car?
I took delivery of a Black Compass yesterday. The temperature difference due to the black colour could not be that high to be a deal breaker. Tinting your car would show better results. If someone can put some figures on it would be helpful.
Old 20th September 2017, 14:14   #334
BHPian

Quote:
I'm actually curious as to why people decide to do this. I assume it is purely cosmetic, especially since we live in a tropical country with hot Summers.

When the Polo and the Brezza came with this options I thought no one in India would opt for this, but I was completely wrong.

Black roof top is purely cosmetic. Looks great on a land rover and the trend is catching up with almost all segment of vehicles. The black roof indeed makes the roof much hotter than the rest of the car body by maybe around 25-30 degrees, however it doesn't increase the interior temperature of the vehicle much as the car roof has good amount of insulation (may not apply to all vehicles) and only the top paint is black. So the difference in interior temperature between a black top car and a similar body painted car may be very small maybe even less than 5 degrees.
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 14:14   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It's only cosmetic for a very small compromise. Agreed, it'll be comparatively hotter than a completely white car but with AC switched on, it'll hardly take any longer to cool the cabin. If it would've been so much difficult, people would just not buy a black colour car(or even some of the dark blue shades we find), would they?
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 14:44   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Going by the build quality, hopefully, the Compass should also be able to do bad roads as gracefully 5 to 6 years down the line.
I still have my reservations honestly. The BMWs, Audis and Mercedes are supposed to be rock solid in build (they really seem to be no doubt). However, I have personally seen our road infrastructure bringing them on knees.

There was a curious and very hyped case of 150 odd Mercedes being delivered in a single group order by businessmen from Aurangabad (Maharashtra). Made it to headlines of all leading news dailies. Dig more and you'll see most of them were returned / sold off due to excessive and regular damage to suspension and power-train components due to road conditions.

The only Jeep that will certainly take our road abuse for sure right now is Wrangler . Compass - we hope for the best certainly as its a wonderful overall package. But it is an unknown.
Old 20th September 2017, 16:49   #337
BHPian

Very true. But considering the off road credentials of the Jeep brand and the perceived build quality, I surely hope to see it hold its own a few years down the line.
Old 20th September 2017, 18:35   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Very true. But considering the off road credentials of the Jeep brand and the perceived build quality, I surely hope to see it hold its own a few years down the line.
Have driven it for 30 kms and there is already a vibrating noise from the left side of the dashboard. Noise goes off when I accelerate. One thing that really gets on your nerves is unwanted sounds from a new car. Will go to the service station tomorrow.
Old 21st September 2017, 09:33   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Have driven it for 30 kms and there is already a vibrating noise from the left side of the dashboard. Noise goes off when I accelerate. One thing that really gets on your nerves is unwanted sounds from a new car. Will go to the service station tomorrow.
Same with mine too, I have driven mine around 850 Kms so far and there are vibrating noises from the front dashboard part , in my case they come from the right side and seem to be from between the dashboard cowl and the speedo console. I even tried sticking some foam into that space, but did not seem to solve the issue. I just haven't had time yet to get it fixed as I have been travelling frequently.
Hope to get it sorted soon, as it really is irritating!
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 12:58   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

A curious-looking Compass test mule spotted on the streets of Pune by my good friend Autospy.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-image1.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-image2.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-image3.jpeg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-image4.jpeg

Why curious-looking? Look at the sticker on the rear windshield of this test mule - it reads "1.6 TD(120) -6MT-AWD LTD -UK-60K".

A variant lined up for exports?

Or a new 1.6L diesel mill being tested?
RavenAvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:10   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Why curious-looking? Look at the sticker on the rear windshield of this test mule - it reads "1.6 TD(120) -6MT-AWD LTD -UK-60K".

Definitely for exports, but the noteworthy thing is that 1.6 Multijet is being assembled/produced here, which could be used in upcoming Renegade and priced competitively.
S.MJet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 14:02   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Must be testing the 1.6 MJD or doing tuning for it to be used in Renegade or something. Wonder why called "TD" instead of "MJD" though. ROW = Rest Of the World most of the times.

Whether export depends on what FCA considers as ROW. India can fall in the ROW also based on the definition.
UK can simply be - well the UK. Or maybe some abbreviation of automotive terminologies.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 14:37   #343
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For once, I hope this remains restricted to exports only. The beautiful 2.0L diesel greatly contributes to the character of the Compass. A 1.6L variant will be as characterless as the S-Cross 1.3L is (vis a vis the S-Cross 1.6L).
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 16:51   #344
jpm
BHPian

My experience from these two weeks of driving around 1800km in my Compass:

WHAT I LIKE
1. The ride is superlative. At 120km/h, the car feels like it is doing 70. If you are someone who does 70-80 kmph max, you are most likely to fall asleep at the wheel.
2. Had two emergency braking situations due to sudden apparitions of four-leggers on expressways. Never felt stressed. The brakes did their jobs very well. Very confidence inspiring.
3. Looks hot n hip. I have had dudes/dudelets on bikes pleased and enthusiastically pointing to their friends. Believe me, I ride the Honda Navi around town as well and am used to seeing reactions ranging from surprise to ridicule! The compass has had nothing but admiration so far!
4. Solid Build quality. Everything feels Heavy with a capital H. You feel safe inside the cabin.
5. Very good NVH levels. There is a catch to that v there.
6. The engine is sweet and responsive but no rush.
7. The MID displays a very optimistic 25kmpl at 80kmph in 6th gear. My last tankful to tankful was 16.29kmpl with some spirited driving.

WHAT I DONT REALLY LIKE SO FAR AT LEAST
1. The reverse cam / radar switches off the moment you disengage the gear. My vento used to have that on for a few seconds more; even after you slot to forward and that was very convenient.
2. Also, the odometer is not always visible. Right now, the only reliable way to see the odo is when I switch off the engine.
3. The trip meters are simply that. But vento had trip a/ trip b with trip b the usual meter. The trip a was a little smart where we get average speed/time travelled/fuel consumed etc for that particular drive which gets reset only when the engine has been switched off for more than 2 hours or the running crosses 999km.
4. The interiors are a pain to maintain. Have some stains already :(. Can anyone suggest a decent leather seat cleaner?
5. The standard floor mats are rubbish. I desperately want to get the ones like the test driven car here but not able to find it with my dealer and mopar doesnt have any online presence.
6. Two Airbags. I never felt shortchanged until an acquaintance mentioned he gave up on compass and went ahead with verna (!) recently before the cess hike due to this sole reason alone. He had lost a son about a year ago on a RTA on a Skoda Rapid. Despite it being a solid car, he blamed it on the two airbags. He was not ready to compromise on that feature at any cost. It was also interesting that customers like him are willing to go for sedans. I guess its the budget and not a particular preference to SUV type vehicles. Jeep has to address that market.
7. The infotainment system is painfully slow like a cheap android tablet. The sound it puts out is good enough.
8. And one more thing, The darned dashboard noise - most likely the instrumentation cowl as mentioned earlier - that vibrates at particular speeds during acceleration. It is a problem once we know it is there and it is always there. No time to visit the service centre yet. I thought I was alone but apparently not. Guess it is another easter egg no described in the reviews.

While it may look like am complaining more than i appreciate, that is definitely not so. I have fallen in love with my Compass. Hope this gives some perspective to prospective buyers.

Last edited by jpm : 21st September 2017 at 17:12.
jpm is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 20:13   #345
BHPian

You have not really explored the instrumentation and ICE. The rear view camera settings do allow for prolonged rear view even after disengaging reverse gear.
Similar for the odo also.
RedRaider is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed