Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2017, 16:19   #181
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2017 Jeep Compass secures 5 star Euro NCAP rating.
We should note that the 5 star rating is applicable only for the AWD models with 6 airbags sold in India. Rest of the variants would end up with a lower star rating as they miss something as basic as side/curtain airbags. I think Jeep should fix this anomaly real soon as it doesn't make any sense for someone to spend more than 20 lakhs and end up with a car that is not as safe as a few other cars in that price range. This is especially true for a company like Jeep that has been emphasizing so much on safety features in Compass. It is weird to see that Jeep offers black roof as an option for its Limited 4x2 variant, but has no intention of offering the additional airbags. I am not sure how the black roof and HID lights are more important than the missing airbags. When Ford and Hyundai can offer 6 airbags on their cheaper cars, I can't think of a valid excuse from Jeep for skipping them on their 4x2 variants unless Jeep thinks that Indians don't value safety that much.

I definitely wouldn't buy a car that would put my family in jeopardy on our unsafe roads when I am paying 20+ big ones. Sorry Jeep, you lost one potential customer

Last edited by ece2k2 : 6th September 2017 at 16:34.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:01   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2017 Jeep Compass secures 5 star Euro NCAP rating.
We understand Compass RHD versions are produced only in India, are they manufacturing 1.6 multijet here?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-4.jpg  

S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:21   #183
BHPian

The 5 star NCAP rating will be for the 70+ features on the international variant as opposed to the 50+ features in the Indian variant as advertised by Jeep itself. So, if not 5 we can atleast expect 4 stars for the Indian variant.
RedRaider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:30   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this on whatsapp and not sure about the magazine. 0-100, quarter mile, gear ratios, in gear acceleration etc are mentioned. Acceleration figures are not that impressive. Overdrive had mentioned 0-100 in 11.9 seconds and this magazine says 12.9.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20170906wa0023.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th September 2017 at 17:35.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:36   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
We should note that the 5 star rating is applicable only for the AWD models with 6 airbags sold in India.
Confused whats this mentioned then -

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_2017090615175288.png

Does the Sport and other models also get 6 airbags in Europe?

Quote:
When Ford and Hyundai can offer 6 airbags on their cheaper cars, I can't think of a valid excuse from Jeep for skipping them on their 4x2 variants unless Jeep thinks that Indians don't value safety that much.

I definitely wouldn't buy a car that would put my family in jeopardy on our unsafe roads when I am paying 20+ big ones. Sorry Jeep, you lost one potential customer
With due respect to your emotions, which Hyundai are you talking about?

The one that launched Tucson in an even higher price bracket with 6 airbags, and even ESC, VSM, HAC and even very basic Brake Assist in only the top variant, that too - only in diesel and even in that - only in diesel automatic?

Creta has 6 airbags and other safety features only in top end diesel manual variant. But I wouldn't be surpised, because the Santa FE - (Now that's a 40L SUV) misses out all these features including side and curtain airbags in the 2WD variants.

Is this the Hyundai you're talking of?

Let's face it. All companies take safety similarly - and Compass is better off - offering a lot more on the base versions than others. Moreover, with a phased launch, there are chances of these concerns being addressed soon. Hope they do it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th September 2017 at 18:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:56   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I got this on whatsapp and not sure about the magazine. 0-100, quarter mile, gear ratios, in gear acceleration etc are mentioned. Acceleration figures are not that impressive. Overdrive had mentioned 0-100 in 11.9 seconds and this magazine says 12.9.
Wouldn't the acceleration figures vary depending on the variant, whether FWD or AWD ? Also, the skill of the tester ?

I am not very sure but I think the Indian figures are for the FWD version.
Old 6th September 2017, 18:05   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Confused whats this mentioned then -

Attachment 1673050

Does the Sport and other models also get 6 airbags in Europe?
I believe so. I don't think a car can get 5 star rating without side/curtain airbags in Euro NCAP. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
With due respect to your emotions, which Hyundai are you talking about?

The one that launched Tucson in an even higher price bracket with 6 airbags, and even ESC, VSM, HAC and even very basic Brake Assist in only the top variant, that too - only in diesel and even in that - only in diesel automatic?

Creta has 6 airbags and other safety features only in top end diesel manual variant. But I wouldn't be surpised, because the Santa FE - (Now that's a 40L SUV) misses out all these features including side and curtain airbags in the 2WD variants.

Is this the Hyundai you're talking of? Let's face it. All companies take safety similarly - and Compass is better off - offering a lot more on the base versions than others.
I am talking about much cheaper Verna petrol AT, Ecosport petrol AT, etc. Note that I am not saying that EVERY hyundai is fully equipped in terms of safety, but there are much cheaper cars from other manufacturers that come with 6 airbags these days. So it is not going to cost a bomb to include the additional airbags if Jeep intends to do so. Also, both Hyundai and Ford don't talk as much as Jeep about safety, but still Jeep skimps on some familiar safety features on its top spec 4x2 variants. Don't you think this is contradictory? If you still think that there is a valid reason for excluding the additional airbags in lieu of black roof and HID lamps, do let me know.

Even if we assume that Jeep will add the missing airbags to its 4x2 variants after a year, the initial set of buyers - who blindly trusted Jeep - would be driving relatively unsafe cars. It is okay for a manufacturer to add a sunroof or cruise control after a year, but not something as critical as side/curtain airbags.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 6th September 2017 at 18:27.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:20   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Wouldn't the acceleration figures vary depending on the variant, whether FWD or AWD ? Also, the skill of the tester ?
There are the figures for 2.0 MJD AWD in India. Skills of the driver also matter : perfect launch and gear shifts . I have doubts regarding these numbers. The car should be faster.
Old 6th September 2017, 18:30   #189
BHPian

I feel good to be a Fiat owner after a quite a while. The worry about dealerships/SVCs shutting down haunted me.

I got this email a while ago.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-fca1.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-fca2.jpg
Divya Sharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:48   #190
BHPian

Reading some of the posts here, I cannot resist asking these questions. Please note these questions are not pointed at anyone.

1) Which manufacturer in sub 20L category has given 6 airbags in their cars across the variants when they launched for first time? If I am not wrong, cost of an airbag has been more or less constant always. It's just that manufacturers used to charge heavy premium for airbags and that has reduced now since all have started giving. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) A lot of folks seems to think that giving airbags, be it 2 or 4 or 6 is going to be make the car very very safe and FCA making 50 or 70 safety features is nothing if it doesn't give 6 airbags!

I would support people pointing fingers at FCA and calling them out for omitting 6 airbags! It was really silly miss. But I don't understand how other cars became an embodiment of safety just because it has 6 airbags.

3) General consensus here is that it is completely ok to offer an unsafe car at lower price points but once it's crosses 20L, safety has to be paramount. How can we expect government to push manufacturers on safety when we ourselves have this attitude? Just out of curiosity, are you guys ready to put your family in jeopardy when you buy smaller cars?
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:54   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe so. I don't think a car can get 5 star rating without side/curtain airbags in Euro NCAP.
Not sure. Even I'm curious and trying to get more clarity on it.

Quote:
I am talking about much cheaper Verna petrol AT, Ecosport petrol AT, etc.
And ALL of them follow similar trend - safety features are offered only on the top variants, and mostly with only one choice of engine.

Quote:
Also, both Hyundai and Ford don't talk as much as Jeep about safety
Not really. Both Ford and Hyundai has been beating a lot of drums on the safety front, may be even more than Jeep.

Ford has been running advertisement campaign on 6 airbags, wheras they offer it only on the top variants - not only on the Ecosport, but on the Endeavor as well.

Hyundai has been advertising safety ever since the launch of Verna 4S, with big emphasis on six airbags, high strength Steel etc. But as explained earlier, even they follow this approach till the Santa FE.

I'd be happiest if any manufacturer offers 6 airbags on lower trims. And hope Jeep becomes the first to set an example in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I feel good to be a Fiat owner after a quite a while. The worry about dealerships/SVCs shutting down haunted me.

I got this email a while ago.

Attachment 1673100

Attachment 1673101
Had called them up few days back for my car service, and they said they are catering only to Jeep initally.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 19:38   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And ALL of them follow similar trend - safety features are offered only on the top variants, and mostly with only one choice of engine.

Not really. Both Ford and Hyundai has been beating a lot of drums on the safety front, may be even more than Jeep.

Ford has been running advertisement campaign on 6 airbags, wheras they offer it only on the top variants - not only on the Ecosport, but on the Endeavor as well.

Hyundai has been advertising safety ever since the launch of Verna 4S, with big emphasis on six airbags, high strength Steel etc. But as explained earlier, even they follow this approach till the Santa FE.

I'd be happiest if any manufacturer offers 6 airbags on lower trims. And hope Jeep becomes the first to set an example in this regard.
Why should Jeep/Fiat compare with others and not provide Air bags. As you have mentioned in your last statement they could have become a pioneer in safety by providing all the necessary safety equipment for all variants. Sadly they did not and missed getting that good will. They could have differentiated between variants by upholstery, alloys , ICE etc instead.

Big thumbs up still to the product though. If I had close to a quarter million I would have plonked it on the top variant without any second thought.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 6th September 2017 at 19:40.
Old 6th September 2017, 19:55   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Why should Jeep/Fiat compare with others and not provide Air bags. As you have mentioned in your last statement they could have become a pioneer in safety by providing all the necessary safety equipment for all variants. Sadly they did not and missed getting that good will.
Oh yes, they have already, haven't they? Except for six airbags, all other safety features are standard - and that itself is a big first for the segment and pricing.

Yes, they could have gone even further with more variants with six airbags. Let's hope they do that soon, forcing others like Hyundai also to follow suit.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 20:02   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I don’t intend to nitpick on your post and just want to put a neutral view point wrt., the service aspect.
Glad to hear that you never faced any problem with the Fiat dealers. I don't think, that someone has to own a Fiat vehicle to comment on their service - I have been accompanying my friends to Fiat dealers and most of my acquaintances own few fiat vehicle incl. the Abarth Puntos. Honestly, the service not just from the front-end, but spares and quality of service was below average. Spares are never available instantly - simple things are not taken care of for the vehicle. And this was echoed across by most of the Fiat owners. I am not sure, which city you are from, but where-ever you are - you got really lucky with your Fiat dealer. I am not any brand's fanboy - yet, the quality of service can be judged right from the Car's Front end management. Other brands who have mastered this art, are already ahead - Fiat with Compass has to be on it's toes to even get into the league of making profit with large sales. If they don't focus on quality service be its after-sales or pre-sale, it will loose it no matter what good product they deliver. Chevy and others too had some good products in their portfolio, yet they lost it. Fiat was already contemplating of selling the Jeep brand, they can make or break in India. If they would have done better from the beginning, you could have seen Punto[s] running on the road in large volumes when compared to the i20's or even Polo's.

I can be wrong, let's wait and watch how Fiat make's or break's in India.

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2017 at 20:10. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 6th September 2017, 20:14   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
3) General consensus here is that it is completely ok to offer an unsafe car at lower price points but once it's crosses 20L, safety has to be paramount. How can we expect government to push manufacturers on safety when we ourselves have this attitude? Just out of curiosity, are you guys ready to put your family in jeopardy when you buy smaller cars?
I am not advocating that only the cars costing 20+ lakhs should be safe. When manufacturers are still trying to cut corners in terms of safety for premium cars, it is highly unlikely for their budget offerings to get them where they don't have a good price range to play with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks