Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 13:36   #166
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

Most of the (bad) service apprehensions come from people who have never owned a Fiat but just 'heard' about the service aspect from others who have again never owned one but just passing what they heard.

My thought process about 15 years back was to go with a good product in the first place and then deal with the service aspect (not heeding to apprehensions).

I can now happily recollect that I enjoyed every bit of the 12 long years of the Fiat ownership, service included. I stuck to scheduled service intervals, used only OEM parts and never faced issues during the entire course of ownership and also got a decent resale value of my immaculately maintained car. Rarely you will find the real first hand owners complaining if they have taken proper care as per the scheduled service sticking to OEM parts.

Even the per service cost was surprisingly low compared to the Hyundai that I get serviced. Service is certainly not about offering coffee with a grinning face and then fleecing the customer with a big bloated bill again with a polite smiling face. Chances of poor service can happen with any brand, its just the human attribute if some (unscrupulous) service advisor feels that they can take a gullible customer for a ride with a bloated bill having unnecessary addons. Very common and can happen all the time everywhere with any brand if we are not careful and aware.
I think you had luck on your side. Having owned Siena 1.6 in the past and Linea TJet currently, I wouldn't call the service offered by FCA as competitive. Most of the parts - including brake pads - aren't in stock with the service centres even today. I am talking from my most recent MOPAR branded service experience in my city. The service advisor promised to call me after a couple of weeks once he gets the brake pads and he hasn't called me until today. It has been more than a month since I got the car serviced.

For a basic oil service and a couple of minor body work, they took more than a week to complete the work. And I had to wait for nearly one hour at the service centre to get the billing completed. On top of this, there were paint marks at least in 3 places in the car. When I pointed this out, I was told that they forgot to wipe out the paint that they used to check for colour matching.

Servicing cost for TJet isn't cheap either and it has been close to 20k for each of the past 2 services. While the folks are dressed in nice looking MOPAR attire, the attitude, part availability and overall experience haven't really improved. I hope that Fiat doesn't goof up again with Jeep.

Servicing a car at Honda for instance has been a cake walk. Let me see how my first Hyundai (Tucson) fares

Last edited by ece2k2 : 5th September 2017 at 13:39.
ece2k2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 19:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Jeep Compass production ramped up

Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Jeep Compass : Official Review-2017jeepcompass01.jpg

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has ramped up production of the Jeep Compass in India. The move comes after the company claimed that it had received 10,000 bookings for the SUV and 92,000 enquiries since it was first announced.

To meet the growing demand, FCA has decided to ramp up the production to 150 units from yesterday. By the end of the month, production numbers are expected to reach 180 units per day from 2 shifts.

As far as current availability is concerned, the Longitude (middle) variant is more easily available than the top-end Limited variant. Jeep clearly misjudged the demand for the top-spec Compass as more of the Longitude variants were built in the initial phase of production.

Further, export of test drive vehicles to Japan and the U.K. has been completed. Regular exports are expected to commence by next month.

The Jeep Compass was launched on July 31, 2017 at a starting price of Rs. 14.95 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The Compass comes in three petrol and seven diesel variants including two all-wheel drive models.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 20:11.
TusharK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 19:46   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Jeep Compass production ramped up

What is FCA's targeted annual production domestic and exports combined? I believe reading somewhere that they had an installed capacity of 48000 units per annum. With 180 units a day (2 shifts) with 25 working days in a month, the production would be 4500 units a month. This is already as per the installed capacity, what are they ramping up now? Did they start that slow to ramp up now?
nkrishnap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 20:04   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This is already as per the installed capacity, what are they ramping up now? Did they start that slow to ramp up now?
Well. they were an unknown brand so best to play safe in the event of uncertainty. Also, why overcommit and recruit more people only to let them go, best not to go the GM way.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 22:21   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well. they were an unknown brand so best to play safe in the event of uncertainty. Also, why overcommit and recruit more people only to let them go, best not to go the GM way.
True.

Also, they are used to having a lot of cars in the factory post production for a long period, due to lack of demand. For example - Abarth had a very limited production run and even those stocks took almost two years to sell.

No wonder they played it safe initially.
Old 5th September 2017, 22:31   #171
BHPian

Somewhat correct Crazy Driver, it is the ideal place for a center channel. If the HU has a CC out and the wiring harness is present, it makes sense to put in a CC or a sub depending on the output provided by the HU.

I used a underseat sub in my Altis and it complemented the stock speakers beautifully. I can use one here as well.

I don't think we need to add a DSP or an amp for the center channel as the HU could give out anything between 40~60 watts for that channel if it is so designed. That much power is sufficient for the Compass cabin. My objective is listening to good music, I don't like loud music (the kind that rattles neighbours)

I'm still trying to find out the specifications of the HU & the speakers that have been used in the car.
abhoumick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 08:36   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
Somewhat correct Crazy Driver, it is the ideal place for a center channel. If the HU has a CC out and the wiring harness is present, it makes sense to put in a CC or a sub depending on the output provided by the HU.

I used a underseat sub in my Altis and it complemented the stock speakers beautifully. I can use one here as well.
Most of the subwoofers require well above the 20 - 25W RMS capacities that these stock headunits deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
I don't think we need to add a DSP or an amp for the center channel as the HU could give out anything between 40~60 watts for that channel if it is so designed. That much power is sufficient for the Compass cabin. My objective is listening to good music, I don't like loud music (the kind that rattles neighbours)

I'm still trying to find out the specifications of the HU & the speakers that have been used in the car.
First of all, amps are not only for loudness. But thats for a different thread altogether.

What i mentioned regarding the center channel is - The stock HU will mostly have two outputs only, one for the left channel and one for the right channel. Unless there is already an output left empty for the center channel, you'll need to wire the center speaker to either the left or right channels - which will not help with the clarity, but only make the sound feel distorted to one side. There are no good benefits to be derived from adding an extra speaker there.

Hopefully, there would be an output for the center channel left out empty since the UConnect system is shared with the international models. That solves things. I have my doubts because the 7.0 doesn't get a center channel on the Compass internationally as well, and its only the BeatsAudio option in the US which gets a 12 channel amp - that has all all these speakers connected.

Couldn't find the 7.0 UConnect system pictures, but here's the 8.4 one -

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jmw53af_fde03751607148a4a003bcae683b6369_1024x1024.jpeg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 11:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

COMPASS August Sales number = 2020. Very impressive!

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th September 2017 at 11:16. Reason: typo
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 12:16   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Jeep Compass is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 14.95 - 20.65 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers. The driving experience & overall package feel premium

What you won't:

• Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person

Sorry for the .
Aren't these two a bit contradictory?

EDIT - Understood it a bit better as soon as I submitted the post. The "What you won't" is more about perception than real value of the car I suppose. Please excuse.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th September 2017 at 12:18.
Old 6th September 2017, 13:13   #175
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This is already as per the installed capacity, what are they ramping up now? Did they start that slow to ramp up now?
From the same source:

Earlier, 90 to 100 units
150 units from 4th September
180 units per day in 2 shifts expected by the month end.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:16   #176
BHPian

The Fiat production lines are producing the Compass and also the Tata Nexon. Considering the increased focus on exports, the share of Compass vehicles for local sale will be limited. Expect availability to probably come down once exports start.

Also, as the Nexon will be priced much lower ( prices expected to be announced on 22 Sept.) , Expect more sales and subsequently, pressure to produce more Nexons.

I would suggest that people who are sitting on the fence should decide quickly and commit themselves, one way or the other.
RedRaider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:30   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Jeep Compass secures 5 star Euro NCAP rating.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-capture.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-3.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-4.jpg

Quote:
Euro NCAP Frontal Impact takes place at 64 Km/h, 40% of the width of the car striking a deformable barrier. In the Full Width test, 100% of the width of the car impacts a rigid barrier at 50 Km/h. In the side impact, a mobile deformable barrier impacts the driver's door at 50 km/h. In the pole test, the car tested is propelled sideways at 32 km/h into a rigid pole

Sourec- Euro NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th September 2017 at 13:37.
volkman10 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:43   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2017 Jeep Compass secures 5 star Euro NCAP rating.

Sourec- Euro NCAP
That's great news and reaffirms all of our initial feelings on the solid build quality of the vehicle and focus on safety!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:11   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That's great news and reaffirms all of our initial feelings on the solid build quality of the vehicle and focus on safety!
Absolutely.

But hope the build quality is same between these models, except for the absence of few safety features for the India version. Jeep had announced that the build is same as the export quality, and it sure does feel like a big tank.

Never had any car within this price bracket emphasised on so many safety features for the base models either.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:42   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Absolutely.

But hope the build quality is same between these models
Very less chance of having different build IMO. Would it be feasible to manufacture two different quality structures in the same plant. We have example of Swift faring differently in crash test of India and Euro spec versions, but i think they were built in different plants.

Last edited by S.MJet : 6th September 2017 at 15:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks