Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 19:47   #3076
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hi,

Finally after an evaluation process of 3 months, i booked Jeep Compass Diesel auto (model s) last month and took the delivery last week. Views and ownership reviews from fellow members were very helpful in finalising the car. Thanks to all the members.

Have driven the car for around 500 Kms with 2 short highway runs. Had few questions on the initial observations from the drive. Need some help from the members on the same. I took the car to the workshop also to discuss these with he service manager who said these are normal. He also connected the car to his machine to check if there are any faults but did not find any.

1. When i stop at some signal, the steering moves slightly to the right or left with a jerk when i release the break to move. This generally happens when the steering is not straight. This has happened 4-5 times and the movement is very small but with a jerk. Service team said this is due to electric motor which straightens the steering once brake is released. the movement is not dangerous as it happens at very low speed and i can control it immediately. But am worried if this could lead to some bigger problem in future.

2. The RPM doesnot go beyond 2.5K as the car shifts the gear. Have been trying not to press the pedal to hard but couple of times during highway run when i got a chance, pressed the pedal hard to check if the car holds the gear. It did take the RPM to 3.5K at the most but that was with pedal pressed completely. Also tried this in manual mode and the RPM did not cross 4K. This is my first diesel car so not sure if this is normal.

3. Could be related to point 2, the pick up of the car is not as good as the test vehicle i tried. Infact after my highway drive, i drove my ignis where i felt the pickup to be better (have an AMT ignis). Service guy said that this is normal for new car and will improve with time.

4. The music volume goes down when i get a notification on car play. After couple of seconds, the volume increases. This happens on the left speaker only and takes 3-4 seconds for volume to be back to normal levels for other speakers. SA again said that this is a normal feature in all the cars. I connected my phone to the test drive vehicle but don’t remember this happening during my drive then. Did not have any other car available during my visit this weekend to check this.

Also, have got mileage of around 12.5 in the 500 KMs i have driven (including 250 KM of highway drive). This is as per the MID as i have not refilled my tank yet. These are early days and hoping it will improve.

Thankfully no rattles so far but these are still very early days. Keeping fingers crossed.

Would be helpful to get some views from other members. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th December 2021, 09:44   #3077
BHPian

Hello Jeepers, I gave my 2020 Jeep Compass a birthday gift. Got the halogen DRLs replaced with LEDs. The halogen ones looked so dated to me. Was worried about the warranty, but I confirmed with the SA if that would be the case. He assured me that just a change in bulb won't void the warranty so I went ahead.

The difficult part was actually finding branded LEDs that would fit my Compass. Explored the auto-hub in Sector 28 Chandigarh and only two shops had LEDs which would fit. Out of them only one actually fit. Unbranded, came in a small plastic bag. Chinese without doubt. The store owner gave me a 6 month warranty. Cost me about 2000 INR.

Hoping they'd last, because to me they look much better than the halogens.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2136.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2137.jpg
fast&curious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 10:32   #3078
BHPian

Hi All. Need your views on ceramic coating and PPF for my brand new Jeep Compass. Finally after lot of deliberation and wait, I booked Jeep Compass Model S Diesel AT (Blue Colour). As the car was readily available, I am now taking the delivery on Thursday

As it's difficult to maintain the dark colour, I am planning to go for PPF on front and rear bumpers and side mirrors to protect it from minor scratches. I am bit sceptical for ceramic coating. I live in a society wherein I have to park my car in open. The car cleaner guy comes daily to clean my car but we all know how careless they are while cleaning the car. I understand the benefits of ceramic coating but is it advisable to go for it given the scenario. The car cleaner guy will obviously not be very careful while cleaning the car and I am afraid that even after spending good amount of money, I will not get the right benefits of ceramic coating on long run. What's your view on this? Should I just go for PPF or for both PPF and Ceramic coating?
Old 14th December 2021, 11:43   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Off topic:

Yeah but in Kolkata at least, the police do not recognise DigiLocker. Recently, I was stopped for having an expired PUC and they confiscated my license with the fine deposit slip to be submitted at the local police station. So there is nothing digital here at least. No system of paying spot fine.

About DEF:

So my ODO is at 2115 now, and my DEF is reaching its 50% mark. Around 75% of 2115 was driven on the highway.
Damn it's a different set of rules in Kolkata it seems. I was stopped in Kolkata for my headlight being ON during day on my Kawasaki Versys and the cop was just not convinced that there was no way to switch it off Finally parked the bike & asked him to find the switch & switch it off. Bugger fumbled for some 15 mins and let me go with a disgruntled look.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:34   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Hello Jeepers, I gave my 2020 Jeep Compass a birthday gift. Got the halogen DRLs replaced with LEDs.

The difficult part was actually finding branded LEDs that would fit my Compass....Cost me about 2000 INR.
Looks really good, much better than the halogens. Would you be able to share what size bulbs they are and how easy/difficult to install?
Old 14th December 2021, 12:41   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Damn it's a different set of rules in Kolkata it seems. I was stopped in Kolkata for my headlight being ON during day on my Kawasaki Versys and the cop was just not convinced that there was no way to switch it off Finally parked the bike & asked him to find the switch & switch it off. Bugger fumbled for some 15 mins and let me go with a disgruntled look.
Even if there was a way to turn them off, what was the law that the policeman said you were breaking?
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:46   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Looks really good, much better than the halogens. Would you be able to share what size bulbs they are and how easy/difficult to install?
Hi Thanks. Don't quite remember the size. But yes they're easy to install, takes about 20 mins to open the bumper cover from the back and insert the bulbs. Of course I didn't do it myself, hired a guy who took a couple of hundred bucks.
fast&curious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 13:09   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysomani View Post
1. When i stop at some signal, the steering moves slightly to the right or left with a jerk when i release the break to move. This generally happens when the steering is not straight. This has happened 4-5 times and the movement is very small but with a jerk. Service team said this is due to electric motor which straightens the steering once brake is released. the movement is not dangerous as it happens at very low speed and i can control it immediately. But am worried if this could lead to some bigger problem in future.

2. The RPM doesnot go beyond 2.5K as the car shifts the gear. Have been trying not to press the pedal to hard but couple of times during highway run when i got a chance, pressed the pedal hard to check if the car holds the gear. It did take the RPM to 3.5K at the most but that was with pedal pressed completely. Also tried this in manual mode and the RPM did not cross 4K. This is my first diesel car so not sure if this is normal.

3. Could be related to point 2, the pick up of the car is not as good as the test vehicle i tried. Infact after my highway drive, i drove my ignis where i felt the pickup to be better (have an AMT ignis). Service guy said that this is normal for new car and will improve with time.
1. EPS has a centering assist. Depending on how jerky it is, it could be normal or faulty. Soft jerks back to center the moment you start moving is normal. If it jerks out of your grasp violently, then its an issue

2. Please don't rev your car to redline before the break-in period. Stay below whatever rpm is specified in the owner's manual. (below 2 - 2.5k rpm most likely). Wait for first service and oil change where the engine shavings and such will be removed with the dirty oil. This is the same for any new car

3. Refer to point 2, yes don't expect your engine to start performing its best till about 5000 kms, moving parts wearing against each other to produce the last small bit of size and shape adjustment that will settle them into a stable relationship for the rest of their working life.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st December 2021 at 15:38. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 18:58   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklitex View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it! Have decided on not going ahead with Compass
Hey folks, tried to let go of the Compass but wasn’t able to. Decided to drop my company lease plan (was restricting the budget) and go ahead with a normal loan. I’m going to be keeping the car for about 7-8 years at least, so don’t want to cheapen out now and regret later.

Took extensive test drives of both automatic variants again, and decided on the the diesel. Aiming to go for 4x4 AT Limited (O) variant.

Just a few questions if I may:
1. The dreaded rattles: should I just make my peace that they’re going to eventually appear in my car? Anybody here with the 2021 4x4 that doesn’t have them? Seen a lot of posts here and on facebook. Hardly ever see rattle complaints on the petrol AT versions. Most are seen in the model S 4x4 for some reason.
2. Mileage: I realise that this is not a “kitna deti hai car”. I just want to know so that I have an idea. From Facebook posts I see mostly about 7-8 km/l for city and 11-12 km/l for highway for the 4x4 AT. Is this accurate?
3. Service centers: how good are Jeep service centers in Bengaluru? I’m not expecting world class technicians, but are they at least competent enough to resolve small issues that might crop up during my ownership from time to time?

OT Note 1: Also tried to consider XUV700 as per a previous suggestion in the forum, but after seeing my father’s AX7L variant delivery date being given as May 2023 I decided to drop the idea.

OT Note 2: I’ve never been this indecisive in my life. I’m thinking of changing my name to “the confused soul” for this forum .

Last edited by aah78 : 15th December 2021 at 19:07. Reason: Minor typos fixed.
Old 16th December 2021, 08:45   #3085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just a few questions if I may:
1. The dreaded rattles: should I just make my peace that they’re going to eventually appear in my car?
Yes, be prepared for it. But as you have mentioned, not all are facing this issue.

Quote:
3. Service centers: how good are Jeep service centers in Bengaluru? I’m not expecting world class technicians, but are they at least competent enough to resolve small issues that might crop up during my ownership from time to time?
I have done all my services in PPS Motors, I have no complaints so far. You have KHT as another option too.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 10:25   #3086
BHPian

Have a query, what issue can we expect on long term performance of sunroof like motor conking up, side beading becoming hard, water leakage etc.

Quote:
Hey folks, tried to let go of the Compass but wasn’t able to.

Aiming to go for 4x4 AT Limited (O) variant.
Congrats for soon to be owner of Compass. Any news you have from the dealer on BH registration.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 17:14   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Congrats for soon to be owner of Compass. Any news you have from the dealer on BH registration.
Thank you! Regarding BH series, I’m actually trying to get my car via BH series from Delhi. Here the RTO is asking for Form 60 and gst registration certificates for 4 different offices of my company. I’ve raised a request with my company for the certificate. No update yet, these things always take time with big corporations. I’m hoping I can get the car registered by end of year, but looks unlikely from the slowness of the process.
Old 17th December 2021, 13:04   #3088
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
No the noise is only when the automatic transmission changes gears when
upshifting. It is quite clear during the upshifts from Gears 3 to 8. The sound lasts just a second or two and it feels like metallic gears brushing or grinding.

When I asked Jeep, they said this is the operational noise of the Dog Clutches in the 9 Speed transmission.
Hi Guys,

Thanks Traveller for referring to my post and also your DM.

I was talking to the service engineer at Pride Jeep Hyderabad today asking him if there was any update on the transmission noise. I wasn't hoping for any miracles and he did not disappoint me.

He seemed as lost as I am about it. He says that they have been escalating to Jeep about the complaints that they received and have not got any replies. The noise is still there and again referred to it as "Operational Noise".

So, unfortunately, it seems like something that we will have to live with. For anyone considering buying a Diesel Automatic variant, be aware of this and take a call.

It is a shame really because otherwise, it is a beautiful vehicle!

GG

Last edited by Sheel : 21st December 2021 at 15:37. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank
Old 17th December 2021, 13:14   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
He seemed as lost as I am about it. He says that they have been escalating to Jeep about the complaints that they received and have not got any replies. The noise is still there and again referred to it as "Operational Noise".
Thanks Gentlegiant,

I also visited the dealership this week and got the noise checked. I also got the same response as you. It is operational noise of the transmission.

I also drove another 4x4 AT just to check and the noise was present in that car too.

So I guess it's the nature of the beast and nothing much can be done about it.

When I compare this transmission with my Polo GT DSG it feels like poles apart in refinement

Otherwise it is a great car with excellent dynamics.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 21st December 2021 at 15:39. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank
Old 17th December 2021, 13:18   #3090
BHPian

AdBlue Top Up

When I got the indication to top up my AdBlue levels, it coincided with my service schedule. They topped up and gave an additional two full five-liter cans and another smaller one (maybe it was a two-liter can of the Velvex brand) which was had about half left in it. I should not have accepted it as I don't drive so much and it is a pain to stock them.

I had couple of questions for anyone in the know.

1. Does anyone here know if there is a shelf life to these cans? The container says "Minimum twelve months if stored in temperatures between 30 Degrees C and -11 Degrees C." So what might be the maximum I can keep?

2. I was trying to top up my tank today and stopped when I thought it was overflowing. However, I am not sure if it was overflowing or if the spillage I noticed was because I wasn't pouring properly. Does anyone know how to find out if the tank is filled up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks